Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU261 compensation discussion

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Jacovs wrote: »
    No options. All they did was send a text to say the return flight was cancelled due to "unplanned circumstances" and to contact them or our agency for updates.

Second text for outbound flight was just to advise flight has changed from one day to the next, also no options given.

Surprised its done by text only and not emails too.

Its a big inconvenience as I struggled to get holidays as is and had to book it off work for those specific dates to suit the flights sold to me. Which also means others in work had to take their holidays to suit mine. Which now doesnt suit anymore. I agree plenty of notice, but it doesnt change anything for us as everything was planned around those specific flights they sold to us.

So if no refund is offered then its a case of fly when they say and be stuck in ADD for the same price as our return tickets?

You always can get refund for a change like that. But that's basically it. AFAIR it is two weeks before the flight that additional restrictions kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

No options. All they did was send a text to say the return flight was cancelled due to "unplanned circumstances" and to contact them or our agency for updates.

Second text for outbound flight was just to advise flight has changed from one day to the next, also no options given.

Surprised its done by text only and not emails too.

Its a big inconvenience as I struggled to get holidays as is and had to book it off work for those specific dates to suit the flights sold to me. Which also means others in work had to take their holidays to suit mine. Which now doesnt suit anymore. I agree plenty of notice, but it doesnt change anything for us as everything was planned around those specific flights they sold to us.

So if no refund is offered then its a case of fly when they say and be stuck in ADD for the same price as our return tickets?

A refund should certainly be an option. It sounds like you booked through a travel agent? Let them chase it up. Hopefully with plenty of time you'll be able to work out an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Jacovs

A refund should certainly be an option. It sounds like you booked through a travel agent? Let them chase it up. Hopefully with plenty of time you'll be able to work out an alternative.

Nope always book direct with airlines.
    Im sure they will give a refund if requested, it just wasnt offered as an option, which I thought airlines are obliged to give all options and not choose on your behalf.
    Im on fairly good terms with their staff in DUB so will go chat on monday and see what the options are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

They can cancel/change your flights up to 14 days beforehand with zero penalty to the airline.

It happened to me once that Level cancelled my flights and in their wisdom wanted to rebook them for a week later on both legs. Unacceptable to me. They did give a full refund but as I had time off booked, connecting flights and accommodation booked I had to rebook with another airline and suffer the lost between the booked fare and the now short notification fare.

You have no protection until you are within the 14 window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

duffman13 wrote: »
    Thanks, I have replied to ask for further information in relation to ATC issues quoted. But yeah I've screenshots of the flight delayed from Gatwick and Also my own flight from Bournemouth to Dublin from Flight Radar aswell

I've been provided no further details from Ryanair and told my case will be closed. Is there a next level I can go to here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

duffman13 wrote: »
    I've been provided no further details from Ryanair and told my case will be closed. Is there a next level I can go to here?

Yes. Commission for Aviation Regulation. Exact same situation with Aer Lingus couple of months ago. Once I went to CAR was sorted in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Before I contact the airline themselves and they advise me in their best interests, whats the deal when an airline change their schedule 5 months out and put you on a flight a day later?
    Does that fall under extraordinary circumstances, or is it seen as a cancellation of original flight and rebooking on next available flight?

I had this happen with ba. They changed my outgoing flight by two hours and when I rang they offered a reroute at no extra charge or a refund. We took the reroute which I got to choose and and it would have cost about 2 grand to change it normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

During a consumers' rights discussion/phone-in on Newstalk "The Hard Shoulder" this evening with Eoghan Corry of Travel Extra and a Rep from the European Consumer Centre both parties stated that Ryanair has gone from being one of the slowest on EU261 to "one of the best airlines" for EU261 - that they had set up a good system to deal swiftly with cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

I applied to aerlingus for eu261 compensation for a cancelled flight and it was rejected citing extraordinary circumstances. I filed a complaint with aesa and received a reply today after 4 months saying aerlingus hadn't replied to them within this timeframe and therefore as they didn't prove extraordinary circumstances they recommend that they should pay the compensation, but they have no power to make airlines pay. So is that not a get out clause for airlines? Ignore them, don't pay, case closed.

Advertisement