Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU261 compensation discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Thats a straightforward claim, €600

What happened to the aircraft before your flight is not relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Has anybody any experience of trying to claim compensation for a delayed flight whereby the delay was caused by a medical emergency on a plane we were due to fly on. (I.e. Not our specific flight). We had a flight delay of about 22hrs from the Canaries...the flight that was due to bring us back to Ireland had to turn back with an emergency on its outward route to Lanzarote (which is fine), however this incident occurred at 3pm and we didn’t fly home until 6pm the following day.

The initial application for compensation was rejected as medical emergencies are not covered...which is fine...but this was not on our flight. Any opinions on this?

Same as above

What happened to the aircraft before your flight is not relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

They could have subbed in another aircraft to take you home. This is the same as weather delays in another city delaying a flight.

Knock on delays do not concern you and you are eligible for compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I was delayed by a day with United Airlines to Dublin but because it’s an American Airline they did not have to apply the EU261 rule.

I believe this leaves a very unfair competition burden on EU airlines.

The consumer really have very few rights in the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I was delayed by a day with United Airlines to Dublin but because it’s an American Airline they did not have to apply the EU261 rule.

They are bound by the same rules if the flight originates in the EU, but I agree not being bound by the same rules for an inbound leg is unfair on EU airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

IngazZagni wrote: »

it would make me more likely to fly with an eu based airline, having had a 27 hour flight delay from ryanair i lost a days hotel a days hire car and a days holiday because they couldnt get a plane in the air (or find another one ).

my OH pre eu261 was delayed because of the famous ash cloud she landed in the states and missed her connection , aer lingus had a hotel bus and rearranged onward booking ready, as it was a codeshare those on booked through the american airline were left to sort themsellves out. i know who id rather fly with

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dododo

Has anybody had any luck following up Ryanair flight from Pisa to Dublin 25th of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Northern lassie

Has anybody had any luck following up Ryanair flight from Pisa to Dublin 25th of June?

No

ENAC will give you the reason why the flight was delayed. When you get that then you have choices of where to go. It will also strengthen your hand in small claims court if it gets that far. ENAC have a pretty easy form that you fill out.

I emailed ENAC about 3 weeks ago to see what they say the reason for the delay was but haven't had a reply .... not even an acknowledgement ... does anyone know how long they usually take to reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No

ENAC will give you the reason why the flight was delayed. When you get that then you have choices of where to go. It will also strengthen your hand in small claims court if it gets that far. ENAC have a pretty easy form that you fill out.

I emailed ENAC about 3 weeks ago to see what they say the reason for the delay was but haven't had a reply .... not even an acknowledgement ... does anyone know how long they usually take to reply?

Italians? You'll never get a response from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Will the passengers on the phily flight that had the birdstrike be entitled to compensation?? I suspect not .

Compensation no, but rebooking, offer of refund, hotel etc

Passengers on the EI114 however are entitled to the full package

Today’s 13.10 FR115 Gatwick to Dublin delayed. Anyone know why ??? They’re saying it’s weather and a stand issue. How do you find out the proper reason and what is my sister entitled to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

adam88 wrote: »
    Today’s 13.10 FR115 Gatwick to Dublin delayed. Anyone know why ??? They’re saying it’s weather and a stand issue. How do you find out the proper reason and what is my sister entitled to
    fr114 arrived delayed
    30 Jul 2019 Dublin (DUB) London (LGW) B738 (EI-FRL) 1:24 11:05 AM 1:07 PM 12:40 PM
    Landed 2:30 PM

I suspect that FR115 will get back to Dublin in time to avoid Eu261 payment before 5:35pm but it might be borderline.

rivegauche wrote: »
    fr114 arrived delayed
    30 Jul 2019 Dublin (DUB) London (LGW) B738 (EI-FRL) 1:24 11:05 AM 1:07 PM 12:40 PM
    Landed 2:30 PM

I suspect that FR115 will get back to Dublin in time to avoid Eu261 payment before 5:35pm but it might be borderline.

Cheers. Was googling out of curiosity. Is it 2 hours for flights less than 1500km and what is the 5.35 time? Is that touchdown or is it chocks on ??

"If your flight is delayed at departure, you have the right to assistance, to reimbursement and a return flight, depending on the duration of the delay and the distance of the flight.

If you arrived at your final destination with a delay of more than 3 hours, you are entitled to compensation, unless the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances. The airline has to prove this by providing, for example, extracts from logbooks or incident reports. The air carrier should give this evidence to the relevant national enforcement body as well as to the passengers concerned in line with national provisions on access to documents."

Don't know what time is officially recorded by the Irish regulator for arrival time. Not worth worrying about until flight lands late. The compensation complaint can be submitted at their leisure later.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Cheers. Was googling out of curiosity. Is it 2 hours for flights less than 1500km and what is the 5.35 time? Is that touchdown or is it chocks on ??

It would need to arrive 3 hours or more later than it's scheduled arrival time/on-blocks time. There is also an argument to account for when the first door is open and pax can disembark, hence many airlines now record doors open time as well to avoid paying in in disputes that are borderline.

rivegauche wrote: »
    "If your flight is delayed at departure, you have the right to assistance, to reimbursement and a return flight, depending on the duration of the delay and the distance of the flight.

If you arrived at your final destination with a delay of more than 3 hours, you are entitled to compensation, unless the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances. The airline has to prove this by providing, for example, extracts from logbooks or incident reports. The air carrier should give this evidence to the relevant national enforcement body as well as to the passengers concerned in line with national provisions on access to documents."

Don't know what time is officially recorded by the Irish regulator for arrival time. Not worth worrying about until flight lands late. The compensation complaint can be submitted at their leisure later.

2 hours is mentioned a few places. Yip plenty of time to do the claim. Just curious for my own sake

showing as taxied at 15:34. I think it will be home before 17:35.
    waiting at the edge of the runway to take off.
    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-frl#217f065f

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

This is a new one. People looking for compensation before the plane takes off.

• Advertisement

This is a new one. People looking for compensation before the plane takes off.

Lol. Just curious that’s all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

The courts have ruled that it is the doors open time that is the time that is applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I was delayed by over 3 hours on Saturday on FR2268 on 27th of July. Filled out the form online and submitted it. The claim was rejected as the delay was unexpected due to ATC restrictions.

Anyone know what ATC restrictions were in place. The plane appears to have been delayed earlier in the day on a Gatwick to Dublin flight which rolled on.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I was delayed by over 3 hours on Saturday on FR2268 on 27th of July. Filled out the form online and submitted it. The claim was rejected as the delay was unexpected due to ATC restrictions.

Anyone know what ATC restrictions were in place. The plane appears to have been delayed earlier in the day on a Gatwick to Dublin flight which rolled on.

This it was mentioned earlier that’s not enough of an excuse. That wasn’t your problem and it was foreseen by Ryanair. They could have mitigated against it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

duffman13 wrote: »

If you can show that the plane you were on did arrive late from a previous flight, they have absolutely no ground to reject the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Before I contact the airline themselves and they advise me in their best interests, whats the deal when an airline change their schedule 5 months out and put you on a flight a day later?
    Does that fall under extraordinary circumstances, or is it seen as a cancellation of original flight and rebooking on next available flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Jacovs wrote: »
    Before I contact the airline themselves and they advise me in their best interests, whats the deal when an airline change their schedule 5 months out and put you on a flight a day later?
    Does that fall under extraordinary circumstances, or is it seen as a cancellation of original flight and rebooking on next available flight?

What options did they give you!?

Accept the change or a refund?

Not really much you can do and they've given plenty of notice in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

This it was mentioned earlier that’s not enough of an excuse. That wasn’t your problem and it was foreseen by Ryanair. They could have mitigated against it

grogi wrote: »
    If you can show that the plane you were on did arrive late from a previous flight, they have absolutely no ground to reject the claim.

Thanks, I have replied to ask for further information in relation to ATC issues quoted. But yeah I've screenshots of the flight delayed from Gatwick and Also my own flight from Bournemouth to Dublin from Flight Radar aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Jacovs

What options did they give you!?

Accept the change or a refund?

Not really much you can do and they've given plenty of notice in fairness.

No options. All they did was send a text to say the return flight was cancelled due to "unplanned circumstances" and to contact them or our agency for updates.

Second text for outbound flight was just to advise flight has changed from one day to the next, also no options given.

Surprised its done by text only and not emails too.

Its a big inconvenience as I struggled to get holidays as is and had to book it off work for those specific dates to suit the flights sold to me. Which also means others in work had to take their holidays to suit mine. Which now doesnt suit anymore. I agree plenty of notice, but it doesnt change anything for us as everything was planned around those specific flights they sold to us.

So if no refund is offered then its a case of fly when they say and be stuck in ADD for the same price as our return tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

2 hours is mentioned a few places. Yip plenty of time to do the claim. Just curious for my own sake

After 2 hours they are supposed to give food and refreshments.

3 hours is the compensation time.

Advertisement