Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical weapon used on civilians in Syria + Airstrikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Did anybody see all the footage today in the media of the 70+ funerals in Douma?
    All those killed by the Syrian chemical attack.

No....

... me neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Who launched a chemical attack in Syria? Was it Assad? Russia? Iran?

And I am looking for answers and not the Putin/RT script.

Look at the daily mail comments sections on any story that involves Putin or Russia.

¿ galore, all saying the same thing and all getting green arrows.

Trying to give the impression that the world agrees with Russia. Fake comments and fake likes.

Or ordinary people who don’t believe the propaganda. Which is slightly better than the Iraq war when 70% of Americans believed in WMD and 50% believed Saddam did 9/11.

The green likes are all fake too? Wow Russia must have literally millions of people over the internet.

Accusations of Russian influence is Modern McCarthyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

how would we know what the effects of chemical weapons look like? i saw nothing on the news. kids looking terrified and being treated. but could have been getting treatment for anything. im assuming (i know i know) that theres worse images not being shown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

archer22 wrote: »
    Desperation combined with very low IQ it would seem...imagine thinking the Russians give a flying phuck about what the Irish think of them :D

The aim is to influence idiots. Take RT. Report on "real news" to make them look legit and slip in the odd bit propaganda.

I don't fall for it but others obviously have. And they call us sheep!

emo72 wrote: »
    how would we know what the effects of chemical weapons look like? i saw nothing on the news. kids looking terrified and being treated. but could have been getting treatment for anything. im assuming (i know i know) that theres worse images not being shown?

World War 1? Iran/Iraq war in the 80's? Ever mixed household cleaning products by accident?

That's how we know chemical weapons have been used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The aim is to influence idiots. Take RT. Report on "real news" to make them look legit and slip in the odd bit propaganda.

Have you noticed how the tone turned to abuse probably in the hopes of getting the thread locked due to the simple fact that several posters cannot stand they are taking through their holes in an attempt to deflect any discussion on assad and putin .
    The same posters across multiple threads recently Reged and rereged rerere-regs low post counts all pro putin and assad and anti EU ,west and America views ,

Did anybody see all the footage today in the media of the 70+ funerals in Douma?
    All those killed by the Syrian chemical attack.

No....

... me neither.

Not a safe place to be when some dictator is dropping chemicals that kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well the Terrorists in Syria now hold the world record for doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The whole theatre could go on like this forever. Sporadic attacks of civilians, many of them with illegal ordnance, a few towns and strategic sites changing hands back and forth, fragmented forces of indeterminate loyalty, proxies of the bigger powers backed up by token deployments by the superpowers.

None of it will make a damn bit of difference unless one or other of the superpowers decides to deploy fully and make a go to gain full air superiority over the entirety of Syria and to destroy their opponents strategic assets and hence their ability to easily regain a foothold. But that wont happen because its not in their interests. This is just about maintaining a stalemate. Russia keeps its warm water naval base and Med accessible air bases while all the time their every breath at those bases is observed quite openly by NATO and Israel with both sides knowing those bases could be permanently destroyed in an afternoon if anyone was minded to do so. A case of mutually assured malaise.

The poor unfortunates of Syria have found themselves become the Korea or Vietnam or Afghanistan of the day and nothing on the horizon by the UN or anyone else is going to change that.

Gatling wrote: »
    Have you noticed how the tone turned to abuse probably in the hopes of getting the thread locked due to the simple fact that several posters cannot stand they are taking through their holes in an attempt to deflect any discussion on assad and putin .
    The same posters across multiple threads recently Reged and rereged rerere-regs low post counts all pro putin and assad and anti EU ,west and America views ,

Or worse moved to politics. Graveyard that I won't post in anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

World War 1? Iran/Iraq war in the 80's? Ever mixed household cleaning products by accident?

That's how we know chemical weapons have been used.

what have we seen that is proof of chemical usage? is it actually possible to know by looking? or would tests need to be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Gatling doesn’t think he is indoctrinated by the whole corporate pro US apparatus but dissenters to this opinion are.

Yet look at his posting history. He seems to have nothing else to do but post on threads regarding Assad and putin. Everyday for the last year or so. No other topic.

He even makes stuff up as he goes along to suit his narrative,I've lost count of the amount of times he's made a horse's arse out of himself on the last thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Iran is definitely next. I mean I think trump even blamed Iran. The neo conservatives have been gunning for Iran for years. Once Assad is removed Iran is next. The war mongers will be on here telling us we are supporters of dictators by defending it, we are engaging in whataboutary by condemning Saudi Arabia, and irresponsibly denying Iran’s involvement in whatever atrocity is concocted to convince the sheep that war against Iran is a moral imperative.

No sure it will stop there. Egypt might be next.

Iran ain't no idiots, they've plenty of experience with the US and their dirty tricks

emo72 wrote: »
    what have we seen that is proof of chemical usage? is it actually possible to know by looking? or would tests need to be done?

Symptoms can range from suffocation and burns to weeping eyes. It depends on where the person was at the time.

Chlorine is the most likely candidate. There was a case in Canada when 70 people got poisoned at a swimming pool because someone fecked up cleaning the pool.

He even makes stuff up as he goes along to suit his narrative,I've lost count of the amount of times he's made a horse's arse out of himself on the last thread

While you all tow the Kremlin line? Good little Putin lovers you are.

Resorting to personal insults and thanking each other is a bit sad.

Gatling is right when he said you would do this to get the tread closed/moved to silence any criticism of your dear mother Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The whole theatre could go on like this forever. Sporadic attacks of civilians, many of them with illegal ordnance, a few towns and strategic sites changing hands back and forth, fragmented forces of indeterminate loyalty, proxies of the bigger powers backed up by token deployments by the superpowers.

None of it will make a damn bit of difference unless one or other of the superpowers decides to deploy fully and make a go to gain full air superiority over the entirety of Syria and to destroy their opponents strategic assets and hence their ability to easily regain a foothold. But that wont happen because its not in their interests. This is just about maintaining a stalemate. Russia keeps its warm water naval base and Med accessible air bases while all the time their every breath at those bases is observed quite openly by NATO and Israel with both sides knowing those bases could be permanently destroyed in an afternoon if anyone was minded to do so. A case of mutually assured malaise.

The poor unfortunates of Syria have found themselves become the Korea or Vietnam or Afghanistan of the day and nothing on the horizon by the UN or anyone else is going to change that.

But I thought that there was now only one "superpower"

I thought Russia and China were a bunch of nobodys.

I was led to believe that the Russians had to attach GPS devices to their fighter jets using Sellotape.

Nikki Haley...we have to listen to her?

geebag

Gatling is right when he said you would do this to get the tread closed/moved to silence any criticism of your dear mother Russia.

In 2018, we've been blessed with the easiest to spot people who have zero interest in discussion. They call everyone they don't agree with a bot, a paid shill, a Putin lover, or a Trumpist.

You forgot to use "comrade" by the way.. Poor form.

The US Defense Secretary, Mattis, has his doubts

https://apnews.com/bd533182b7f244a4b771c73a0b601ec5

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Remember Saddam's wmd's, they'll lie once and they'll do it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Again using this link out of context. This is the second time you have used this same link and said the same crap. And it’s over 2 months old. From your link,

“We’re looking for evidence of it, since clearly we are dealing with the Assad regime that has used denial and deceit to hide their outlaw actions,” Mattis said.

No where in that has he said he had his doubts. He said they don’t have firm evidence at that time, but there are reports from the battlefield of it being used, and they are looking for evidence. And it was in relation to an incident at that time. Not in relation to its use ever, as you tried to claim last time you used the link.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

faceman wrote: »
    Never heard of that guy but Jesus he’s an idiot.

And he is a bit of a prick too. But he is right about Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Russia really is turning into a joke. The only two people to threaten nuclear war in the last decade - Putin & Kim. At least Kim has some common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Discodog wrote: »
    Russia really is turning into a joke. The only two people to threaten nuclear war in the last decade - Putin & Kim. At least Kim has some common sense.

Wonder if russian billionaires keep losing money will they decide it's time for time for a change in Russia .
    But vladis backers won't want nuclear war and its safe to say he's won't go to nuclear war with the west and Risk russia taken back to the stoneage ,
    Kick them out of the swift banking system and watch it all fall to pieces for putin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gatling wrote: »
    Wonder if russian billionaires keep losing money will they decide it's time for time for a change in Russia .
    Britain can keep the billionaires, they're in good company in St Londonsburg!
    https://www.rt.com/uk/423586-britain-harbors-russian-thieves/
    russia taken back to the stoneage ,
    If there's nuclear war we're ALL back to the stoneage and you can't even see that! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DaaTNScWsAAFbRn?format=jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You think accusing people of being putin lovers or being controlled by Moscow is legitimate form of argument?

I don’t see any evidence of russia love either. Hostility to American or western imperialism - particularly one as destructive as this is likely to be - isn’t the same as Russia love.

Your level of debate is sub McCarthyism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Iran is definitely next. I mean I think trump even blamed Iran. The neo conservatives have been gunning for Iran for years. Once Assad is removed Iran is next. The war mongers will be on here telling us we are supporters of dictators by defending it, we are engaging in whataboutary by condemning Saudi Arabia, and irresponsibly denying Iran’s involvement in whatever atrocity is concocted to convince the sheep that war against Iran is a moral imperative.

No sure it will stop there. Egypt might be next.

Iran or Egypt are not next. You need to calm down.

Besides very few people except yourself and a few others would like to see the Iran regime stay in power with its abysmal human rights record and treatment of women and homosexuals. There is very little to celebrate about the current Iranian regime unless you hate America in which case celebrate away.

The worst thing about American haters is they end up siding with the most murderous of dictators all because they oppose America.

Chrongen wrote: »
    But I thought that there was now only one "superpower"

I thought Russia and China were a bunch of nobodys.

I was led to believe that the Russians had to attach GPS devices to their fighter jets using Sellotape.

Many of their fighter jets do not have inbuilt GPS but use Garmin handheld devices. So you are right in this belief. Its likely the cause of some of their recent crashes in recent times. The jet that shot down over Turkey may also have had a handheld device which are generally designed for relatively slow moving cars, not fast moving jets.

• Advertisement

Mtx wrote: »
    Remember Saddam's wmd's, they'll lie once and they'll do it again

Whether Saddam had them or not we can debate, although it probably belongs to another thread.

But we do know Assad had and continues to have them. He handed over hundreds of tonnes to be disposed with. He kept the rest to use on his own people.

Its not in doubt Assad has an active chemical weapons program, he even admitted it himself in 2013 when he agreed to hand over some of the weapons.

For anyone interested:
    The destruction of Syria's chemical weapons began in September 2013 on the basis of several international agreements with Syria that stipulated an initial destruction deadline of 30 June 2014. United Nations Security Council Resolution 2118 of 27 September 2013 required Syria to assume responsibility for and follow a timeline for the destruction of Syrian chemical weapons (such as sarin) and Syrian chemical weapon production facilities. The resolution bound Syria to the implementation plan presented in a decision of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW). On 23 June 2014, the last declared chemical weapons were shipped out of Syria for destruction.[1] The destruction of the most dangerous chemical weapons was performed at sea aboard the Cape Ray, a vessel of the United States Maritime Administration's Ready Reserve Force, crewed with U.S. Navy and civilian merchant mariners. The actual destruction operations, performed by a team of U.S. Army civilians and contractors, destroyed 600 metric tons of chemical agents in 42 days.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_Syria%27s_chemical_weapons

So there really is no comparison.

Advertisement