Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Any additional tickets paid with leap credit are just cash fares at the leap rate. There is no 90 minute fare associated with them.

Your journey will be one 90 minute fare and two leap credit fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ok- but essentially it’s two people using one card for two bus journeys- so all ok with that yeah?

Also it’s €2 per person right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Apologies, I didn't read that correctly and missed the single LEAP card.

No, to avail of the 90 minute fare you both need separate cards.

The second person will as above be charged each time they board a bus and the LEAP card will need to be put on the driver's ticket machine having been validated to issue another ticket.

Why not just get a second card?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I'd started out intending to write the last sentence as "Your journey will be one €2 90 minute fare and two €2 leap credit fares for a total of six euro" but deleted the first €2 when I got to the two because I thought it was too much detail.

I guess I was wrong.

Yes two people using one card is fine. Just go to the driver's ticket machine as LXFlyer said. Your missus's ticket will be on her card as usual and you'll be issued a paper ticket.

No need to mention the 90 minute fare on the second trip. That'll happen automatically when the driver puts the fares through on the card.

Post edited by CoffeeImpala on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah I will.

It was more just the fact I hardly ever use PT and was wondering if we could get the two 90m fares on the one card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

No. TFI90 fare is only one per card. A ticket for a second person on the same card would be a simple fare for that particular route only. Best if you get a new Leap Card for a second person if they'll use the card ever again in a near future.

To go back to this - there is a walk-in meeting from 16:00 to 20:00 this Thursday at Dundrum DLRCoCo offices (beside the LUAS stop) on the Dundrum LAP.

The bus gate opposite the Main Street to Sweetmount Avenue is actually to facilitate the A2 and A4. They will set down on Dundrum Main Street, and then proceed through the bus gate, turn right and then lay over on Churchtown Road Upper, before starting their next journey on Taney Road.

What really irritates me about this plan is that we are ending up with a myriad of dispersed bus stops, all away from the LUAS stop, and many of which will require people to cross major roads, and we are not getting a proper bus station.

Personally, I'd agree with a friend's idea, which was to push the Main Street connection with the bypass further south across what is now the old shopping centre car park, and build a bus station immediately to the north of that that would link directly with the LUAS stop.

Sydenham Road will be one way southbound, Kilmacud Road Upper one way eastbound between Sydenham Road and Overend Way. These measures, along with the bus gate onto Ballinteer Road from Dundrum Cross (both directions) hopefully would reduce traffic levels on the Kilmacud Road Upper through Dundrum.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Ah right, that makes sense for the A2/4. I have been seeing sponsored posts on twitter/FB against the bus gate, saying it will have busses "passing housing every 2-4 minutes". As far as I'm aware, there are no houses directly facing onto Churchtown Road Upper (other than the block of apartments). Now, there is housing on Sweetmount Avenue, but the buses won't be going down that road at all so they wouldn't be affected all that much.

Personally, I'd agree with a friend's idea, which was to push the Main Street connection with the bypass further south across what is now the old shopping centre car park, and build a bus station immediately to the north of that that would link directly with the LUAS stop.

I'd agree that would make a lot of sense, but they would then have to scrap (or significantly alter) the plans for the apartments being sought for that site (assuming it gets approved that is).

The A2 & A4 will have a 12 min peak frequency each.

That’s a bus every 6 minutes. Plenty of roads have a more frequent service.

I have seen the posts - it’s off the wall stuff.

I really think that they ought to be strategic about the bus termini - if that means expensive CPO then so be it. This solution is all over the shop.

Buses will still have to go past the school on Kilmacud Road Upper where traffic gets bananas every morning and afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EPC35

So with this bus gate will the buses be just passing the library up that hill or will the be going further up Sweetmount Avenue?

• Advertisement

As I posted already this bus gate is purely to facilitate the proposed A2 & A4 routes which will terminate in Dundrum (replacing the 14).

These buses will come down the Main Street, then go straight across the by-pass, through the bus gate, continue straight ahead up the hill, past the entrance to Fernbank apartments, to the traffic lights at the junction with Churchtown Road Upper.

They will then turn right and terminate at new layover bays on Upper Churchtown Road facing towards Taney Crossroads.

When ready to depart they will then head straight across Taney Crossroads to pick up at a new stop on Taney Road and then follow the current 14 route to Ballinteer Road.

No buses are going to use any other part of Sweetmount Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What will happen to the current bus stop for the 17 & 61 at the top of Churchtown Road Upper? Is that stop being replaced with the new layover point for the A2/A4 or will it remain as normal? If I had an instinct about these plans; the current stop at Churchtown Road Upper would have to be removed to allow the S6 from Tallaght to Blackrock to stop at the layover point for the A2/A4 and then continue onto the next stop on the Taney Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

Stop at the top of churchtown road remains in place but the junction changes so the pedestrian crossing goes between the apartments and the bus stop.

The design is an exercise in managing constraints, like trying to make an omelette without breaking any eggs. I'm not sure how a bus interchange like those at liffey valley, red cow, ucd or Blanchardstown could fit into Dundrum without CPOing a lot of the old shopping centre car park. The bus interchange would need to respond to existing road network and planned bus routes so it would be a fair chunk of it to get access roads in/out and circulation. With Hammerson trying to build massive density its hard to see a reality where an irish government would spend that money. This is the outcome.

That's exactly what should happen in Dundrum if we are serious about putting public transport as a viable alternative to the car - a proper bus station.

Move the Main Street exit onto the bypass further south to just beyond the current car park entrance, and build the bus station in the space between there and Waldemar Terrace. Provide an entrance/exit from the bypass, and have a signalled entrance/exit onto Taney Road where the existing slip entrance is, accessing the bus station via Waldemar Terrace, leaving the space for the Civic Centre.

Of course it would be a massive CPO, but we have to start realising that we need proper public transport infrastructure, especially at interchange locations.

Instead in typical Irish fashion, this plan has a complete mish-mash of dispersed bus stops with people having to cross major roads to connect between different bus routes, and also to connect with the LUAS. It's an unholy mess, with insufficient layover space being provided for the A-Spine routes.

DLRCoCo have form to be honest - they allowed the biggest shopping centre in the country to be built with no bus station as an integral part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

Ah yeah, my preferred outcome would be to build development over a bus interchange. A bus interchange by itself doesn't get the best value of land at this location so why integrate it with a building, plenty of good examples exist

Any form of integrated bus interchange would be better than what they are planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Exactly Dundrum SC should have had a bus station as part of it similar to Westfield in London or the Trafford Centre in Manchester

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Loads of civil markings appearing in the Malahide road recently, they're obviously preparing for some significant works. Not sure if it's BusConnects related, or if it's sewage/water works, but if it's not BC then I'd be pretty annoyed that they'll run two big projects on the one road, one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

but there isn't even an oral hearing date announced so we're a minimum of 6 more months from planning permission.

Could it be to do with the aviation fuel pipeline between the port and the airport?

I doubt that it is anything to do with BusConnects - that needs planning permission first.

• Advertisement

Perhaps it'd be best to rebrand the south side bus connects to 'CarConnects' or something like that. There's a few clangers on the north side corridors but the difference in the south side is orders of magnitude, at least 2 of the corridors could be scrapped entirely or merged based on the drawings submitted without any change to the bus service.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I know, that's why I thought that I'd mention it. I had been thinking that it might be the fuel pipeline, but it's a significant number of markings at the junctions that I saw, and further away than I'd have thought necessary for the pipeline. Loads of different colours too, so clearly they're interested in all the services under the ground too. Perhaps Irish Water are going to do works on the drains around there, they've done a fair bit of work on some of the roads around Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

There isn't going to be an oral hearing on many of the corridors. I have seen letters from ABP to observers saying that ABP has decided no oral hearing is required for corridors CBC1: Malahide Road, CBC3/4: Ballymun/Finglas, CBC5: Blanchardstown, CBC6: Lucan and CBC7: Liffey Valley. I'm not sure what happened to CBC14/15: Blackrock and UCD. The other applications are too new for ABP to have made this decision yet. Here's an example of the CBC7 letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Great news, but I am sure that somebody somewhere will now launch a judicial review of ABP's refusal to hold an oral hearing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no basis to do that - as mentioned in that letter, ABP have absolute discretion on oral hearings. They are not a compulsory part of the process.

They can JR the final decision, though.

Interesting I would have thought Oral Hearing would be standard where there's significant land purchase. Makes you wonder what they do with the application for 18 months and counting.

Here's a pic of some of the markings at one junction. The Donnycarney junction looks like something from the Barbie movie, with so many different colours used.

Apologies for the quality, the driver didn't share my curiosity 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

It should have, but I doubt it would even cross the minds of planners who take it for granted that 'the cor is King'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I don't know if this was mentioned in the other BusConnects Dublin thread already.

I have seen a CPO notice up on display for the Bray to City Centre CBC in a housing estate in Stillorgan yesterday (Tuesday) evening. I was walking home with some groceries from Tesco in Stillorgan at that time. I saw the notice up on display beside the footpaths near the Stillorgan Underpass in Patrician Villas yesterday.

Has anyone here on boards seen these notices up on display elsewhere along this bus corridor recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

There's a few along the N11 yeah, one is by the southbound slip into Stillorgan. Also spotted one at the roundabout outside Shankill Church. Spotted a few more along the N11 too but can't recall where

Advertisement