Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial - all 4 found not guilty Mod Note post one

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Appledreams15

The people marching and hashtagging - what exactly did they want the jury to base their guilty verdict on? Did they want them to disregard key witness evidence? Rule on emotion? Forget the apparent inconsistencies? I don’t get it?

You can agree with the verdict handed down without slapping the backs of those involved. Like I said earlier at the worst these guys would have been rapists, and at the very best they’re foul mouthed pigs, nothing worth defending there, but I agree with the verdict.
    All the marching and hashtagging and meme-ing is fcuking cringe.
    I'm sure the men in India said the same thing.
    We are a joke of a nation. I don't think you see how Ireland is regarded abroad. Totally backwards and treating women like ****.
    At mass protests on rape in India, the lawyer for the rapist said 'India is the best country, in india there is no place for a woman'
    How different are we? How different are we ?shame on you Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidebaro

Uncharted wrote:
    I don't believe you either..... should I be jailed too?

Jailed? No.

Educated? Perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

mayolady14 wrote: »
    I never said that obviously.

You used your random 98 percent statistic.

I responded that an accusation does not mean a rape occured.

You then responded with your line about why would women go to rape crisis centres if they haven't been raped.

So either your response was conpletely unrelated to anything or you were attempting to argue that all accusers go to rape crisis centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Again as I said you get both extremes here, You have people talking nonsense about the women (wrongly)  but you also have people talking **** about the lads (no where found not guilty) its the internet it happens, I'm not going to say I believe you or not as iv never meet you , no idea what happened to you or what didn't , But if you had a issue with a Garda you should have taken it to the Garda Ombudsman they are there for situation like that and should be used , Any member of the public has the right to be listened to and have a compliant investigated,

I have no interest in reliving the matter any more, as I have moved on with my life. The point is that women are constantly being told to report their rapes, but when they do they aren’t believed. I have been repeatedly told that it would be my fault if my rapist rapes another woman. This is obviously exceptionally unfair
    Again if you felt unfairly treated you should have followed up with a complaint and perused the matter,
    Without sounded cold hearted The Ombudsman is in place to help complaints like this, its the sole reason it is in place  .You decided not to peruse the one route that is there and then complain things need to change ,

• Advertisement

Mokuba wrote: »
    So 100 percent of people who accuse another of rape go to rape crisis centres? That is what you have now inferred.

Where did you pluck that one from?

You're embarassing yourself at this point.

Why on earth are you f"*ing talking to a victim like this. Scumbag post. Old male mentality in Ireland rises to the fore yet again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

seamus wrote: »
    How can someone have been murdered, but the person who killed them is not a murderer?

Likewise, how is it possible that a woman "may have been raped", when the person who had sex with her is not a rapist?

These are specific legal terms, not feelings or beliefs. If the guy who killed you is not a murderer, then you weren't murdered.

Evidence Seamus.

With murder you have to prove that B is guilty of premeditation and planning to kill A.

If there is no one else in the room, no witness' its B's word against the evidence.

A murder may have occurred but it may not be possible to prove it through the evidence.

A woman can be raped and there may not be enough evidence to prove the person raped her. Remember it has to be proven without reasonable doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

seamus wrote: »
    irishrebe wrote: »
    Who said it did?
    Let's shift focus a little to give a less contentious example.

Imagine you have the following scenario, the below being the facts;

1. A and B are in a room together
    2. Nobody else enters or leaves the room
    3. When B opens the door, A is found dead, having been stabbed in the back. B admits to having stabbed A in the back.
    4. B is tried for murder
    5. B is acquitted

Does this mean that A wasn't murdered? Yes, yes it does. A was "killed", but he wasn't murdered.

Likewise with this case, in absence of anyone else in that room, the fact that none of the men were found guilty of rape means that logically and legally, the woman was not raped. She may have been attacked. She may have been injured. She may have been degraded and humiliated.

But she wasn't raped. To even state that "it hasn't been proven that no rape happened", is to claim that the court is wrong.
    The two are not at all comparable though, are they? This is the entire issue with rape cases. Stabbing someone to death is ALWAYS a crime, whether it was on purpose or not.  Having sex with someone is not always a crime. Saying 'no rape happened' is making the assumption that consent was given and the girl was up for it (the basis of the defence). There is reasonable doubt that she was forced, because plenty of people consent to similar sexual acts. Hence, unlike your example where we have a dead body and irrefutable proof that the accused committed a crime, here we have one party's word against the other. I'm sure lots of people posting here would love to be as black and white as they want it to be, but it isn't. Being unable to categorically state that no rape occurred does not automatically make the accused rapists. That's not how it works.

I hooe they do and I think they should sue all Facebook twitter etc users who they can identify.
    A case like that would set a legal precedent in Ireland that would finally end trial by social media.

I think all parties including witnesses and the lady In question should follow suit

The PSNI are in fact investigating users on social media who identified the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mayolady14

Uncharted wrote: »
    I don't believe you either..... should I be jailed too? I mean you say you don't and didn't want it all brought up again,which is fair enough.... Thats your perogative yet you keep mentioning it......

No. I chose to bring it up in an anonymous forum to show how reluctant we are to believe rape victims. I have literally no reason to lie. His name is not mentioned and the post was edited so you don’t even know his team or sport. You don’t know when it happened. I didn’t mentioned the Garda station. I have literally nothing to gain or prove and yet still....we can’t believe women when they disclose they were assaulted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Of course. But I can tell you I’m literally ashamed of every Irish man and woman who want this girl to be hung drawn and quartered for reporting what happened her. The way she is being spoken about it shocking. And shows why we don’t come forward more often

This is an extreme minority who actually want her shamed but you are trying to make it out to be a widespread view. It really is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

We are a joke of a nation. I don't think you see how Ireland is regarded abroad.

Believe it or not (I imagine you won't) but your little corner of the twittersphere doesn't equate to all of 'abroad'....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We are a joke of a nation. I don't think you see how Ireland is regarded abroad. Totally backwards and treating women like ****.
    At mass protests on rape in India, the lawyer for the rapist said 'India is the best country, in india there is no place for a woman'
    Attempting to compare Ireland with India on this and plenty of other criteria is beyond laughable and idiotic an argument. More of the oul Irish self loathing ballsology.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why on earth are you f"*ing talking to a victim like this. Scumbag post. Old male mentality in Ireland rises to the fore yet again!

Or do you mean India?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

You do know it was in the UK, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Reading posts here on how girl "moaned" instead of saying "ouch".
    Unbelievable that there seems to be a certain way to behave if you're being raped. !

I'm not sure what way the verdict should have gone but I do feel there was a lot of covering up done by the lads and some things just didn't ring true for me.

Did the Gardi tell you they did not believe you?
    Or did they tell you, you do not have case?

The Garda told me she would not be investigating further and referred to the mans involvement with a local team. And you act like this was the only person who didn’t believe me.

steo_magra wrote: »
    irishrebe wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm fine. Just ashamed to be Irish, reading this ****. What a nasty little country. So glad my children won't be growing up in a place where you can't have an abortion if you're raped, and where you're dragged over the coals and called a liar for daring to report a sexual assault which doesn't end in a conviction.

The trial wasn't in Ireland though :confused:
    Not talking about the trial. I'm talking about the comments on here and the sh1te all over social media about the victim.

Excuse me for a second...do you?! I don’t really give a **** about anonymity tbh, I gave a **** about my mental health and what being forced to relive that in a court room would do to it. And we all know that everyone and their mother would know who I was. It’s a small country. I know what it’s like to be a victim of rape and not get justice. And I reported to the guards and was not believed.

Mayolady, today all women of Ireland stand together. I feel your pain, and I have suffered what you have suffered. It is so important to get as many people to these rallies today as possible. It is vitally important to raise international awareness of human rights abuses of women in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Apparently 10s of people gathering at the spire for this "protest"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Of course. But I can tell you I’m literally ashamed of every Irish man and woman who want this girl to be hung drawn and quartered for reporting what happened her. The way she is being spoken about it shocking. And shows why we don’t come forward more often

What about those people who are openly saying that a unanimous verdict in a court of law is wrong, based on their own worldview - and are organising protests to criticise it.

Are you ashamed of those who now are taking to the streets when a jury reaches a verdict they don't like?

What about the 4 lads? Are they not entitled to move on with their lives as innocent men? Or will they have to endure this witch hunt for the remainder of their lives? Are you not ashamed of the people who continue to make their lives hell?

Again if you felt unfairly treated you should have followed up with a complaint and perused the matter,
    Without sounded cold hearted The Ombudsman is in place to help complaints like this, its the sole reason it is in place  .You decided not to peruse the one route that is there and then complain things need to change ,

It’s pretty telling that you and others on this tread would prefer to chastise me for not taking things further than be horrified that 1. This happened and 2. A guard did nothing.

....... wrote: »

No it isnt.

If I fall over while carrying a knife and stab you in the arm as I fall, its not a crime.[/quote]
    Sigh. I said 'to death'. It's highly unlikely you would stab someone to death accidentally, and be able to prove it was an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

No. I chose to bring it up in an anonymous forum to show how reluctant we are to believe rape victims. I have literally no reason to lie. His name is not mentioned and the post was edited so you don’t even know his team or sport. You don’t know when it happened. I didn’t mentioned the Garda station. I have literally nothing to gain or prove and yet still....we can’t believe women when they disclose they were assaulted

If you want people to discuss your particular set of circumstances start your own thread and I've no doubt people will engage you there. The difference here is that we've all been party to the reported evidence in the Belfast rape trial hence it can be discussed with a larger degree of common understanding. 
    Interleaving this trial with the trial you were denied is conflating matters and doing nothing to help people understand your position.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have literally nothing to gain or prove and yet still....we can’t believe women when they disclose they were assaulted
    Why should a society and the law automatically believe anyone's claims of a crime? Or are Women™ to be automatically treated and believed out of the box. What special inability to lie powers do they have? That's beyond idiotic a take. Though again the usual "feminist" nonsense peddled.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Just as a matter of point... This happened in the UK under UK laws.... Not Ireland under Irish laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It’s pretty telling that you and others on this tread would prefer to chastise me for not taking things further than be horrified that 1. This happened and 2. A guard did nothing.

That garda shouldn't have got away with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

And men think they can rape and get away with it. Because they do. 98% of them.

Or, equally as likely, there are lot of fake rape accusers out there!
    *Comment is based on same insane logic as the post replied to

• Advertisement

Mokuba wrote: »
    What about those people who are openly saying that a unanimous verdict in a court of law is wrong, based on their own worldview - and are organising protests to criticise it.

Are you ashamed of those who now are taking to the streets when a jury reaches a verdict they don't like?

What about the 4 lads? Are they not entitled to move on with their lives as innocent men? Or will they have to endure this witch hunt for the remainder of their lives? Are you not ashamed of the people who continue to make their lives hell?

I will not be engaging with you further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement