Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Foreign Policy Megamix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Now we wait for the Russians to say that she is being held against her will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I must say I am very impressed with her impeccable English! It's even better than mine and I am a native speaker!
    NOT a single speling eror eithir from what I can see but what would I know? I'm sure her English is beter than what mine is!

" ...... try to come to terms with the devastation changes thrust upon me ..."
    " ..... but at the moment I do not wish to avail myself of their services ..."

https://cdn4.img.sputniknews.com/images/106473/81/1064738130.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I must say I am very impressed with her impeccable English! It's even better than mine and I am a native speaker!
    NOT a single speling eror eithir from what I can see but what would I know? I'm sure her English is beter than what mine is!

Are you questioning her language skills or intelligence .

She gave video statements in both English and native russian and then wrote a statement in both English and Russian while recorded too .

Don't see where there is an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm impressed with Umberto Eco's command of English also, having read a couple of his books. Pretty good for an Italian - but then again, it could just be had a translator.

Perhaps the translator actually wrote the books and Eco can't write for nuts! I suspect a massive conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gatling wrote: »
    I am not questioning her intelligence but the standard of English in that letter is suspect.
    Yes, I am questioning her language skills. Being able to speak English is one thing but mastering English grammar is a different story altogether.
    Nothing added up from Day one and even less is adding up now as far as I'm concerned. So, Vlad wanted her bumped off and now she says she wants to return to Russia one day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Christy42

Gatling wrote: »
    I am not questioning her intelligence but the standard of English in that letter is suspect.
    Yes, I am questioning her language skills. Being able to speak English is one thing but mastering English grammar is a different story altogether.
    Nothing added up from Day one and even less is adding up now as far as I'm concerned. So, Vlad wanted her bumped off and now she says she wants to return to Russia one day!
    She is hardly the first person to learn English to a high standard. Or indeed the first person to ever have someone proof read an important letter for them. I figure you have to be trying really hard to not see that as believable (or just going with whatever the Russian Embassy said last).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,813 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

She is fluent in English and Spanish. She spent part of her childhood in Malta and lived/worked in the UK for awhile. Her father worked for the Brits since the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 17,813 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Suspects named

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45421445

I'm going to hazard a guess that both are in Russia and there is zero chance of them ever going to trial. Case-wise likely a dead end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Suspects named

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45421445

I'm going to hazard a guess that both are in Russia and there is zero chance of them ever going to trial. Case-wise likely a dead end.

Russia will still deny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Russia will still deny.
    Russia have already denied and of course have volunteered to help get the culprits. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The UK needs to stop being so gutless and should order Russia to close it's embassy for what is in effect, an act of war. They should have done this over the murder of Litvinenko.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so first I heard that Rowley said he found the bottle in a charity bin, he previously said he couldn't remember where he found it, perhaps he was reluctant to appear to be stealing before, many said the reason you use such a rare poison is to make it clear to any other defectors who had done it, to show it was targeted specifically at one man (and those near him). If they had put the bottle in a ordinary bin it probably wouldn't have been touched by anyone ever again, Putting the bottle in charity bin makes it more likely to contaminate someone else, it seems less precise, it suggests they wanted other people to be poisoned...

you can see the drop off point behind the cancer research site https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.0671862,-1.793229,3a,54.4y,267.67h,87.14t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssvFqcdJXR4_e7UGfbwCBzg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DsvFqcdJXR4_e7UGfbwCBzg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D347.06036%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en they had previously took away the rubbish bins but are there donation bins behind the wall? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6019203/Anti-terror-police-investigating-Russian-nerve-agent-attacks-cordon-pub-Salisbury.html http://news.met.police.uk/news/counter-terrorism-police-release-images-of-two-suspects-in-connection-with-salisbury-attack-320534 there was also the barnados near by https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.0677717,-1.793403,3a,29.4y,288.18h,67.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTUjBADgZjL44RlG9oMNEhQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

so first I heard that Rowley said he found the bottle in a charity bin, he previously said he couldn't remember where he found it, perhaps he was reluctant to appear to be stealing before, many said the reason you use such a rare poison is to make it clear to any other defectors who had done it, to show it was targeted specifically at one man (and those near him). If they had put the bottle in a ordinary bin it probably wouldn't have been touched by anyone ever again, Putting the bottle in charity bin makes it more likely to contaminate someone else, it seems less precise, it suggests they wanted other people to be poisoned...

you can see the drop off point behind the cancer research site https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.0671862,-1.793229,3a,54.4y,267.67h,87.14t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssvFqcdJXR4_e7UGfbwCBzg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DsvFqcdJXR4_e7UGfbwCBzg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D347.06036%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en they had previously took away the rubbish bins but are there donation bins behind the wall? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6019203/Anti-terror-police-investigating-Russian-nerve-agent-attacks-cordon-pub-Salisbury.html http://news.met.police.uk/news/counter-terrorism-police-release-images-of-two-suspects-in-connection-with-salisbury-attack-320534 there was also the barnados near by https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.0677717,-1.793403,3a,29.4y,288.18h,67.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTUjBADgZjL44RlG9oMNEhQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

They were either utterly incompetent or just didn't care. The fact that their mugshots are all over the media is hardly good espionage plus that their movements are now known.

Discodog wrote: »
    They were either utterly incompetent or just didn't care. The fact that their mugshots are all over the media is hardly good espionage plus that their movements are now known.

It was the same with the Livinenko murder. The two who carried it out were very sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

well the point wasn't to hide who did it, as I said.

well the point wasn't to hide who did it as I said.

I agree. I think it's part of Putin's agenda. He wants the World to know that he can do this with impunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I agree. I think it's part of Putin's agenda. He wants the World to know that he can do this with impunity.

Except he isn’t immune (russia isn’t Israel or the US). When he supposedly acts like this the west imposes economically damaging sanctions.

It's all Russophobia according to.

The Russian Ambassador to the United Nations claims Britain has used Salisbury nerve agent attack to "unleash disgusting anti-Russian hysteria."

The federation's permanent representative, Vasily Nebenzya, said the UK's update to the UN was made up of the "same repeated lies" as previous statements about the spy poisoning.

"I'm not going to go through the list of this whole unfounded and mendacious cocktail of facts," he said.

"London needs this story for just one purpose - to unleash a disgusting anti-Russian hysteria and to involve other countries in this hysteria."

Mr Nebenzya told the security council the number of inconsistencies in the latest updates from the UK was "off the charts".

So russia have nothing in reply to the charges other than it's all made up to make us look bad

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sounds as though they have been taking lessons from Trump.

Edit - or those are the lessons they have been teaching him!

looksee wrote: »
    Sounds as though they have been taking lessons from Trump.

Edit - or those are the lessons they have been teaching him!

From David Shipler, the longtime Moscow correspondent for the New York Times:

A Russian friend explained vranyo this way: ‘You know I’m lying, and I know that you know, and you know that I know that you know, but I go ahead with a straight face, and you nod seriously and take notes.’

That's their foreign policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

That's their foreign policy.

It's also Sara Huckabee Sanders and the White House Press - she lies, they know and pretend they don't, write it up as "He says she says" and collect their pay.

It's also Sara Huckabee Sanders and the White House Press - she lies, they know and pretend they don't, write it up as "He says she says" and collect their pay.

Actually her predecessor summed it up well. He pointed out that the press secretary doesn't give their opinion but what they are told to say. If they are told to tell lies, they lie.

The Russian counterpart does the same only her lies are even less credible that Trumps

The Russian counterpart does the same only her lies are even less credible that Trumps

With one difference, I think. I have doubts now.

The Russians want you to know that they are lying and that there's nothing that you can do about it.

The more I think about it, SHS is probably doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bellingcat have identified one of the Skripal suspects as a Colonel in the GRU.

Awarded 'Hero of the Russian Federation' in 2014, which would suggest that Putin personally knows him.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Bellingcat have identified one of the Skripal suspects as a Colonel in the GRU.

Awarded 'Hero of the Russian Federation' in 2014, which would suggest that Putin personally knows him.

While this was obvious, it's nice to have more proof because there are still a lot out there who, for whatever reason, refuse to believe that it could be a Russian operation. On the AH thread, there were heaps of falsehoods being firehosed by Russians and conspiracy theorists:

"It wasn't Novichok"
    "If if was Novichok, it war from Porton Town"
    "It was false flag"
    "Why would the Russians do this? It makes no sense."
    "Why no cctv of Skripals coming home?"
    "GRU are professionals. They wouldn't fúck up like this"
    etc
    etc

Now at least, there's very little pretence online that the pictures don't match. Outside a few snarky "Elliot Higgins LOL" type responses, this issue now seems to be getting ignored by the Russians and conspiracy theorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

While this was obvious, it's nice to have more proof because there are still a lot out there who, for whatever reason, refuse to believe that it could be a Russian operation. On the AH thread, there were heaps of falsehoods being firehosed by Russians and conspiracy theorists:

"It wasn't Novichok"
    "It was false flag"
    etc
    etc

Now at least, there's very little pretence online that the pictures don't match. Outside a few snarky "Elliot Higgins LOL" type responses, this issue now seems to be getting ignored by the Russians and conspiracy theorists.

In fact the Russian actions here were very odd and very amateur, and the first casualty of war ( and Syria is a proxy war between the west and Russia) is the truth.

Turns out the Russians look like they were that dumb - run a botched assassination attempt a few months before the World Cup.

In fact the Russian actions here were very odd and very amateur, and the first casualty of war ( and Syria is a proxy war between the west and Russia) is the truth.

Turns out the Russians look like they were that dumb - run a botched assassination attempt a few months before the World Cup.

They must have been distracted by the spire in Salisbury Cathedral. Did you know that it's 123 metres tall?

"It wasn't Novichok"
    "It was false flag"
    etc
    etc

And it's the same few posters over and over ,you imagine they would have given up the ghost at this point rather than dragging the whole conspiracy theories and Russophobia

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

For everyone taking this seriously, I genuinely think this post is supposed to be parody?

• Advertisement

For everyone taking this seriously, I genuinely think this post is supposed to be parody?

Oh no Elmer was /actually very much serious when it comes to the defence of russia

Advertisement