Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

tbayers wrote: »
    Quick one, I am currently on a 24 month all in deal with Eir (phone, broadband, TV etc) but not due an upgrade until the 10th of May. Mightily impressed with the initial reviews of the p20 Pro so really want to get it. Thing is, anybody have any experience with receiving an upgrade earlier than expected? Really want to avail of the head phone offer as well. Since tomorrow is the last day of getting headphones hoping to get it sorted tomorrow. Case of ringing the loyalty team? 

Was thinking of getting rid of everything and just keeping the Broadband for the free sports package but this might just tempt me to stay with them for another 2 years.

Is your 2 year contract up the 10th of may? If that's the case then I'd say there's a very good chance they'll get that pushed for you,

However if your contract isn't up until the 10th of June, and the 10th of may Is your early upgrade date, then you're probably stuck, they're strict on that. Nothing to lose by giving them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

joecass123 wrote: »
    Quick one, I am currently on a 24 month all in deal with Eir (phone, broadband, TV etc) but not due an upgrade until the 10th of May. Mightily impressed with the initial reviews of the p20 Pro so really want to get it. Thing is, anybody have any experience with receiving an upgrade earlier than expected? Really want to avail of the head phone offer as well. Since tomorrow is the last day of getting headphones hoping to get it sorted tomorrow. Case of ringing the loyalty team? 

Was thinking of getting rid of everything and just keeping the Broadband for the free sports package but this might just tempt me to stay with them for another 2 years.

Is your 2 year contract up the 10th of may? If that's the case then I'd say there's a very good chance they'll get that pushed for you,

However if your contract isn't up until the 10th of June, and the 10th of may Is your early upgrade date, then you're probably stuck, they're strict on that. Nothing to lose by giving them a call
    That is the problem, I cant find the contract date anywhere, MyEir Dashboard is pretty ****e to be honest. I can find upgrade date as 10th of May so your assumption could be right regarding later end of contract date, if only I could find it. As was mentioned earlier dealing with them over the phone is not high on my wish list, might just pop into shop instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Gatling wrote: »
    Have you actually tried to deal with eir ,
    Telesales and online sales are two separate divisions and notorious to deal with

Yep, have had numerous battles with them...the only way to get the headphones is to pre order online. But if the customer is set up to be eligible for an upgrade (early or otherwise) then there should be no issue in pre-ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

What's stopped you from making a decision so far?

Maybe list the top 5 most important things you want in a phone and go with the one that comes closest?

Ive no specific requirement other than what ever phone i choose im stuck with till 2020 as im signing up for 24months.

Ive seen the picture comparisons between both and tbh id be happy if i shot the pictures either phone produces.

Battery is a point of interest but the larger battery in the p20 pro is offset by the wireless charging in the s9+ imho (ive a charge pad on my desk currently and it is just a habit that when my current phone is put down it goes on the pad). So my s7 has loads of battery left come night time.

Different colours of the handsets dont bother me either... Black... I love a sleek black device.

S9+
    Have had a few samsungs never had issues with any of them + familiarity
    Has wireless charging :) smaller battery :(
    Better resale value
    costlier to buy :(
    like the screen :)
    Headphone jack :)
    Free case and 1 free front glass replacement (on voda)
    Reports of coverage issues :(
    64gb memory :( expandable to few 100gb :)

P20 pro
    Huge battery :) no wireless charging :(
    Cheaper to buy :)
    Less of a noticable edge where the glass and the frame meet :)
    Missus has had the p9 and p10 and has had serious coverage issues on both,and a problem with the leica camera system on the p10 :(
    128gb :) not expandable :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    cheers, looks decent enough to me?

Anything stand out as lacking in it (for the price I mean)?

just on this anything noticably lacking on the Lite vs other phones in the €300 pricerange? Just want decent storage/camera/batt life. Main use is Whatsapp/Youtube/basic apps

• Advertisement

just on this anything noticably lacking on the Lite vs other phones in the €300 pricerange? Just want decent storage/camera/batt life. Main use is Whatsapp/Youtube/basic apps

From looking at the GSM arena link posted earlier, the p20 lite sounds like a decent phone.

4Gb Ram, 64Gb storage and 3000mAh are all good numbers.

What other phones are you considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Vodafone order dispatched

P20 Pro and hopefully headphones!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

As expected they won't move my upgrade date as it is a month out next week. And as its an online offer it has nothing to do with Eir loyalty apparently. Three it is so and cancelling Eir next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As expected they won't move my upgrade date as it is a month out next week. And as its an online offer it has nothing to do with Eir loyalty apparently. Three it is so and cancelling Eir next month.

Had a feeling that would happen ,
    Ive repeatedly had murder with them after they originally wouldn't let me have an upgrade because of my landline ,and TV package .

I don't have eir TV landline or broadband ,and never had .
    Just a former meteor number

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Ive no specific requirement other than what ever phone i choose im stuck with till 2020 as im signing up for 24months.

Ive seen the picture comparisons between both and tbh id be happy if i shot the pictures either phone produces.

Battery is a point of interest but the larger battery in the p20 pro is offset by the wireless charging in the s9+ imho (ive a charge pad on my desk currently and it is just a habit that when my current phone is put down it goes on the pad). So my s7 has loads of battery left come night time.

Different colours of the handsets dont bother me either... Black... I love a sleek black device.

S9+
    Have had a few samsungs never had issues with any of them + familiarity
    Has wireless charging :) smaller battery :(
    Better resale value
    costlier to buy :(
    like the screen :)
    Headphone jack :)
    Free case and 1 free front glass replacement (on voda)
    Reports of coverage issues :(
    64gb memory :( expandable to few 100gb :)

P20 pro
    Huge battery :) no wireless charging :(
    Cheaper to buy :)
    Less of a noticable edge where the glass and the frame meet :)
    Missus has had the p9 and p10 and has had serious coverage issues on both,and a problem with the leica camera system on the p10 :(
    128gb :) not expandable :(

I've never owned anything Huawei before but my wife has a p10 and loves it. She's had no issues with coverage (on three).

As per your points above, it seems like you are leaning slightly towards the s9+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

ForestFire wrote: »
    Vodafone order dispatched

P20 Pro and hopefully headphones!

Same. But just realized I ordered two somehow one 24 hours after the other. Both have been dispatched. I am expecting headsets with both as they were ordered in March so if anyone wants the set they can have it for 779 with the headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭ForestFire

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    did someone mention the p20 pro comes with a case in the box?

Also, I'm walking into a vodafone or 3 shop on friday and buying a phone ... am i still in line for the headphones?

Vodafone (Boards) have confirmed that any orders up to and including this morning qualify for the free headphones.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057857212/3

If you want the free headphones I would get your order in today as soon as possible and check again here on boards with vodafone.

Just make sure it is still advertised on the website when ordering.

You can always return within 14 days if you do not get headphones.

Time is running out on the hadphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Might be a few of the phones up for cheap online next week, some people might be buying to get the expensive headphones at a fraction of the price and make money back selling the phone :D

rizzee wrote: »
    Might be a few of the phones up for cheap online next week, some people might be buying to get the expensive headphones at a fraction of the price and make money back selling the phone :D

Absolutely, could work both ways though. I'd imagine the majority want the phone and are willing to sell the headphones to offset the cost.

I'll be keeping both though :rolleyes:

dan786 wrote: »
    Same. But just realized I ordered two somehow one 24 hours after the other. Both have been dispatched. I am expecting headsets with both as they were ordered in March so if anyone wants the set they can have it for 779 with the headphones.

Sounds like a job for GT_TDI_150 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Any retail package unboxing/review videos I've watched had a clear case included with the P20 Pro.
    The launch packs given to reviewers didn't, so don't read too much into the contents they show.

From looking at the GSM arena link posted earlier, the p20 lite sounds like a decent phone.

4Gb Ram, 64Gb storage and 3000mAh are all good numbers.

What other phones are you considering?

Comparing it to a Xiaomi Mi A1 ... Or Samsung Galaxy A5?

Thanks

Absolutely, could work both ways though. I'd imagine the majority want the phone and are willing to sell the headphones to offset the cost.

I'll be keeping both though :rolleyes:

I will be keeping the phone not sure about headset so if anyone just wants the headset its theirs for 250 haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Any retail package unboxing/review videos I've watched had a clear case included with the P20 Pro.
    The launch packs given to reviewers didn't, so don't read too much into the contents they show.

It's only a cheapy silicon anyway, will probably just tide people over until they get something decent.

Comparing it to a Xiaomi Mi A1 ... Or Samsung Galaxy A5?

Thanks

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Huawei-P20-Lite-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-A5-2017-vs-Xiaomi-Mi-A1

They are all broadly similar based upon the above link.

The Galaxy A5 only has 3GB RAM though, which might be an issue if you like to use lots of apps at the same time.

The P20 Lite is the newest, has the biggest screen and is running the newest version of Android so it probably the best buy between the above.

• Advertisement

Vodafone still have headphones, so order now if you havent already.

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Huawei-P20-Lite-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-A5-2017-vs-Xiaomi-Mi-A1

They are all broadly similar based upon the above link.

The Galaxy A5 only has 3GB RAM though, which might be an issue if you like to use lots of apps at the same time.

The P20 Lite is the newest, has the biggest screen and is running the newest version of Android so it probably the best buy between the above.

Handy site, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

rizzee wrote: »
    It's only a cheapy silicon anyway, will probably just tide people over until they get something decent.

It'll keep me happy till I get the Spigen case.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

for those that didnt go for the pro.

there is a mate 10PRO is 540 quid in amazon warehouse today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

what are the chances of of vodafone and three store actually having p20 pros onsite tomorrow for non-pre order purchases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

Harvey Norman might have some but no headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Tesco Have the P20 Lite at what seems like a decent price at 280 euro. Apologies If already posted.

https://www.tescomobile.ie/phone-details/388/Huawei-P20-Lite?prepay=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Yeah but it's 899 there..

€899 is the standard price for Factory Unlocked version everywhere.

Advertisement