Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

What sort of Octavia did you get CIP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Jesus Christ you need a fair kick up the hole and in the Balls if they have dropped....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I have an NCT retest today for worn brake pads.

Yesterday the engine light came on! :(

Do any of you know if they will fail the car when they see the engine light, even though it has nothing to do with the retest?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Pac1Man wrote: »

Do any of you know if they will fail the car when they see the engine light, even though it has nothing to do with the retest?

I'm pretty sure for retests they only look at the items that need to be retested.

That said, if it was a full test, and the engine light is on, they are likely to refuse to test it. Worth chancing the retest as is! Do get someone to check out the engine light too, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pac1Man wrote: »

Diesel or petrol?
    If it's diesel it's a fail but I believe they oy check what was the issue previous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Diesel or petrol?
    If it's diesel it's a fail but I believe they oy check what was the issue previous.

Diesel. Think it's an EGR valve issue. Will be getting it checked next week. Emmissions were tested the first time and passed so I'm hoping they only check the failed items.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

What sort of Octavia did you get CIP ?

2017 Mk3 2.0TDI 150 quite standard and manual but I wanted a manual one anyway. It’s the pre-facelift but I actually prefer them to the facelift. Will take a few weeks to get to know it but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Cheap car to keep me going for a while and then I see 2017. Me and you have different ideas about cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

CIP4 wrote: »
    2017 Mk3 2.0TDI 150 quite standard and manual but I wanted a manual one anyway. It’s the pre-facelift but I actually prefer them to the facelift. Will take a few weeks to get to know it but so far so good.

Well wear, main thing is you're happy I suppose.

The GTI you had was an absolute cracker CIP, fair enough you're getting a few quid in the arse pocket but apart from a few miles to the gallon I think you're mad!

Cheap car to keep me going for a while and then I see 2017. Me and you have different ideas about cheap.

Yes cheap relative to my last 3 cars I suppose is what I mean as opposed to cheap car overall. But again it’s what your used to spending on a car feeds into what your perception is of how much a cheap car is.
    Well wear, main thing is you're happy I suppose.

The GTI you had was an absolute cracker CIP, fair enough you're getting a few quid in the arse pocket but apart from a few miles to the gallon I think you're mad!

Yes look not exactly a dream car but I was looking at 330i G20s, S4, S5’s in the UK I didn’t know what I wanted all I knew was I wanted to move on the golf. I figured if I didn’t know what I wanted it made sense to just buy a normal main steam car for the moment.

As throwing 30-40k into a car and then deciding it wasn’t for me in 6 months time would be very costly especially with COVID causing havoc. I got a fair price for my Golf if I hadn’t I would of kept it no doubt about that. I will let things settle out for the moment and see where things lie next year.

But for what the Octavia cost me and considering how expensive any kind of newish car is now I am quite happy with it and it drives quite well and I am sure will be cheap to run again though didn’t change to save money on fuel I never found the golf costly to run. Also the Octavia is somehow more expensive to insure lack of safety features no doubt :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got my 3rd puncture in less than a month hopefully last one for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Motor industry loves people like cip4.

They make a fortune of the changing....

CIP4 wrote: »

Yeah the pre-facelift is much nicer on the front. Best of luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

I pity the person who had to drive 84000 miles a year in this Hyundai i20 1.4crdi

253,000 miles in 3 years

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283977077160

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'd pity anyone that does that millage, even in a Bentley.

I pity the person who had to drive 84000 miles a year in this Hyundai i20 1.4crdi

253,000 miles in 3 years

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283977077160

Works out around 234 miles or 376 km a day, or to put it into perspective around the same distance from Drogheda to Dingle give or take a few miles. Thats rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭kirving

That's about €25k on fuel, and I presume a commuter car at that milage.

Would have been better off buying a second hand Model S at that rate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I am from Lithuania originally and never seen that. Then again, i haven't been there for the last 15 years. The whole hazards flash as a "thank you" for moving and letting me pass and the light flash as a "your welcome"

Not uncommon in this part of the world either (US). Also not uncommon is a headlight flash from someone being overtaken, particularly by a long vehicle like a truck, caravan, bus, etc, to indicate that "Your trailer has passed by my front, you can pull over and get out of the way of everyone else now". Also not unusually followed by a hazard flash.

275 miles a day strikes me as Uber driver territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Any opinions on new corolla touring sport good or bad? Look nice for an estate and priced very well, or at least in my opinion. PCP deal is up soon so looking at this for a possible move.

Grand car if there's enough space in it for you. Wouldn't be the most cavernous of load areas. The Toyota hybrid set up is a nice drive IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Augeo wrote: »
    Grand car if there's enough space in it for you. Wouldn't be the most cavernous of load areas. The Toyota hybrid set up is a nice drive IMO.

Going from Octavia so similar in terms of space and the back seat is 40mm longer across on the Corolla surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Major changes in my work mean I'm pretty much going to be working from home for the next 12 months so very little driving. I'm wondering if I should sell the Avensis and get something cheap for tipping around in. Its perfect and no bills impending. Any advice?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Major changes in my work mean I'm pretty much going to be working from home for the next 12 months so very little driving. I'm wondering if I should sell the Avensis and get something cheap for tipping around in. Its perfect and no bills impending. Any advice?

I don't know what year your Avensis is as that would have an effect. I would look at it like this how much will the Avensis lose in a year and how much is it going to cost you to buy a cheap run around and maintain it plus an older car will be more likely to have issues/repairs needed. If it ends up looking like it will cost similar money not much point getting rid of the Avensis unless you want to.

.............. Its perfect and no bills impending. Any advice?

Would what you'd sell it for get you back into something similar in 12 months? If not and you reckon something similar will be required then there's no point selling IMO.

Its a 131 with 195k km. There's pretty much nothing wrong with it. No finance owing but I've a small loan I'd clear if I did sell it. I've looked after it as I was doing a lot of mileage, it still goes to the main dealer.

Probably looking at 7k ish in private sale ...... maybe close to 8 ...... hard to know really what's best to do. You could knock 250k kms more out of it if you got back to doing big miles and to buy something as good as it might be difficult.

Augeo wrote: »
    Probably looking at 7k ish in private sale ...... maybe close to 8 ...... hard to know really what's best to do. You could knock 250k kms more out of it if you got back to doing big miles and to buy something as good as it might be difficult.

Thats what I was thinking. If I could get 8 that would give me 3 to play with and cover the loan with 5.

For better or worse I've put it on dd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

You could get lucky. A well minded 2012-2015 avensis is hard got and kind of in demand to a point. Especially with a bit of spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Thats what I was thinking. If I could get 8 that would give me 3 to play with and cover the loan with 5.

I sold a 2012 petrol auto for near that at the start of the year. Tiny miles though, and lovely spec.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement