Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

CIP4 wrote: »
    The last week or two the whole Covid-19 Checkpoints seems to have died a death I haven’t been through one in about 3 weeks and in the weeks before that there had been a good few.

I've been on the road constantly since this lockdown started (hello IT, my computer isn't plugged in...) and the checkpoints have all but gone. There was one day I went through 4 in 3 different counties. In the 607 too as the timing chain went in my van, loaded with IT equipment/cases/cables/switches/AP's etc! :(

The peace and quiet was bliss, the muppets are starting to come back. For the last while I was able to get anywhere in greater Dublin in record time, slowly this is becoming a memory. I can still see O'Connell st empty on a Tuesday morning for example, I should have gotten a photo to remind me of what the world is like without brainless gombeens everywhere :(

The AGS ability to enforce covid19 advice was extended to May 18th.... I imagine it was thought most folk were complying to a large degree so they stepped back significantly/completely on the checkpoints.

I think it's a sensible approach TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Augeo wrote: »
    The AGS ability to enforce covid19 advice was extended to May 18th.... I imagine it was thought most folk were complying to a large degree so they stepped back significantly/completely on the checkpoints.

I think it's a sensible approach TBH.

Surely they will be doing the checkpoints past May 18th ? Sure the restrictions are still quite limited after May 18th it’s not like they have said you can go where you want from Monday.

They can do checkpoints of course but as you said yourself they don't seem to be.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/garda-powers-covid-189-extended-5090055-May2020/%3famp=1

We are moving to a stage where the 2m social distancing thing will be the key along with handwashing etc.

The restrictions will hopefully ease and with that it becomes less necessary to have checkpoints. We do seem to have high adherence to guidelines to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Rear calipers done today. Happy how the job turned out overall. It was a task I was dreading but it's handy enough.

49900970173_127d42c4d8_c.jpg
    49901791532_52a992cc95_c.jpg
    49901482196_3efb3b22ac_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Went to use turtle wax on my car and came out ****e. The black box of wax pre cleaner and wax mix for application.

Made Shi,te of it anyway.

Anywhere next week might be open to get that crappy job removed and a do a decent job of new wax/polish ?

Went through the car wash again just there and it actually looks worse. Like wet blotches on places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Went to use turtle wax on my car and came out ****e. The black box of wax pre cleaner and wax mix for application.

Made Shi,te of it anyway.

Anywhere next week might be open to get that crappy job removed and a do a decent job of new wax/polish ?

Went through the car wash again just there and it actually looks worse. Like wet blotches on places

5 Star Autovalet are suppose to be opening back up soon according to their Facebook but no specific date was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Post a pic, should be handy enough to un-**** that up yourself if someone tells you how.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I've been on the road constantly since this lockdown started (hello IT, my computer isn't plugged in...) and the checkpoints have all but gone. There was one day I went through 4 in 3 different counties. In the 607 too as the timing chain went in my van, loaded with IT equipment/cases/cables/switches/AP's etc! :(

The peace and quiet was bliss, the muppets are starting to come back. For the last while I was able to get anywhere in greater Dublin in record time, slowly this is becoming a memory. I can still see O'Connell st empty on a Tuesday morning for example, I should have gotten a photo to remind me of what the world is like without brainless gombeens everywhere :(

Not a selfie then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Post a pic, should be handy enough to un-**** that up yourself if someone tells you how.

Oh I gotta be honest. I've been at this thing for the guts of two days,

If I have to look at anything washing relating again I'll lose the plot ! Haha

I don't have the patience to go over and fix the whole car. I have attempted to take pictures but unfortunately the shine that comes out on the pics doesn't show the blotches , stains etc

Thanks for recommending 5 star auto valet, I'll call or message them tomorrow to see what they say regarding reopening safely etc.

• Advertisement

I got an email from Frank Keane VW saying both their VW dealers are open for sales and service from Monday by appointment only. I have the golf booked in end of next week for a service in a more local dealer. I won’t miss the pinging anyway.

That’s weird as I got an email from their BMW franchise(whose door i will never darken) telling me that they would be open for service but not for sales.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

With a lot of places still closed for the whole physical distancing thing, organisations are starting to come up with other options to try to get revenue. Our local zoo has decided to turn itself into a drive-through experience. Can't get to everything, the big African animals (Elephants, Hippos, Giraffes, Rhinos), for example, are up a small lane which the cars can't get through, but there are still bears, monkeys, eagles, gharials... and, frankly, people are so cooped up in their houses with their kids (like my family) that we'll take what we can get. They have pit stops where you pull over as in a take-out window for the gift shop.

Score one for the four-seat convertible.

K2851a1.jpg

XyRA0zQ.jpg

4Cm4Vah.jpg

hBPvSXe.jpg

YsGXIHp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Got myself an impact gun today for stripping down the Integra, wondering how I've survived this long without one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Got myself an impact gun today for stripping down the Integra, wondering how I've survived this long without one now.

Battery or Air?

Battery or Air?

Battery, nice Milwaukee one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Battery, nice Milwaukee one.

We got a dewalt one a few months ago, best money we ever spent.

Ciano35 wrote: »
    We got a dewalt one a few months ago, best money we ever spent.

I was using one of the lads ones when we collected the Integra shell, after that I said I needed one ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Dewalt stuff is decent but the Milwaukee stuff is the dog's danglies. Expensive but worth it.

By the looks of some of the pictures of queues Woodies and B&Q are in for record sales this week. I would imagine aftersales departments will be busy enough in mains dealers this week. I have my car booked in for Friday so will be interesting to see how busy it is at the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

By the looks of some of the pictures of queues Woodies and B&Q are in for record sales this week. I would imagine aftersales departments will be busy enough in mains dealers this week. I have my car booked in for Friday so will be interesting to see how busy it is at the dealer.

Nct is still cancelled. Irish people don't do anything unless its for en cee tee for the most part.

• Advertisement

........ I would imagine aftersales departments will be busy enough in mains dealers this week.........

With two months of potential backlog and perhaps reduced service bays to facilitate social distancing I'd imagine they'll be kept going alright. The service depts kept many garages going through the last recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

Looks like I should be able to get my new motor soon - has anyone any idea how long it normally takes for the SEAI Grant and VRT rebate to be processed by the SEAI and Revenue by the dealers - I know it’s not normal times but is it days or weeks usually ?

As soon as that is processed I can collect !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It can take around 10 to 14 days. Normally there wouldn't be a backlog at this time of year, but it's hard to say with the 7/8 week break.

I doubt it; 10-20 customers at a time and long browsing with small purchases from what I could see on the news. News at One said that it had been slow pickings at most DIY places and the TV probably deployed to a few busy ones. Can’t imagine queueing an hour or so for a few tins of paint or a few plants.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Are Halfords open again?

Need to get one of their scratch repair kits...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Are Halfords open again?

Need to get one of their scratch repair kits...

Some back open tomorrow, saw it in a post somewhere on here

Edit:

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Some back open tomorrow, saw it in a post somewhere on here

Edit:

https://twitter.com/Halfords_uk/status/1262374201001984000?s=20
    Lovely stuff, I got a one4all voucher from work and need some more axle stands for the other shell.

The egr valve is gone in my Dads A4. He bought it as a used approved car in an Audi garage 2 years ago. The few small things it needed they done for free a few months before he bought it. It has a FSH from Audi there is 180k km on it now 141 and the egr is after going in it. He rang the Audi dealer to get a price to replace it was giving out or anything as at that age and mileage it’s well and truly his problem. They rang back and said because of its history Audi will cover 70% of parts and Labour.

Infairness I don’t know is it that particular dealer or Audi after sales in general but from my experience with it it’s second to none even comparing it to Seat, VW there is no comparison at all. Well also my dad is just lucky with cars if I had bought that car with that mileage and age the gearbox probably would of fallen out of it at this point on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There's a well known issue with the EGR's in the 2.0 engine. If you have and screed of service history Audi will come to the table. The beauty of it is he wouldn't get it done independently for less that the 30% contribution and you'll get teo years unlimited mileage warranty as you paid against the repair.

The goodwill budget gets progressively larger with each of the VAG brands, you'll see Audi coming to the table with money on ancient yokes once there's a main dealer history.

You still need a good dealer to ask the question though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I ordered a new car battery from Micks Garage on Saturday evening and it arrived today which is pretty quick considering a big ball of text that was on the website and the emails talking about how there are delays due to CV19.

I have the car over 3 years and the battery wasn't new then and from not driving much it ruined the old battery the car wasn't running right with it as it was messing up the electrics. It's running perfect now with the new battery.

I jump started the old battery each time I wanted to drive it. Left a battery charger on it for a full day and again the next day and that's when I said battery is f**ked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement