Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

How can you fail on something you had in the boot?

Like what does fail sheet say remove items from boot?

Lack of access to the spare wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

How can you fail on something you had in the boot?

Like what does fail sheet say remove items from boot?

Pretty much.

And there is no spare wheel.

It's just a visual and it's easily sorted - but bloody annoying nonetheless as I had to go to an appointment in work after being in Northpoint for nearly an hour.

I just hate that it always fails on utterly petty ****e - usually things that were perfectly passable the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Kkv seriously you have been advised to go get another and you seem to be now attached to the Mondeo like you were the Citroen....

A car is a car and if it's a money pit then that's all it's going to be...

I'd understand if it were something exotic or a classic or something but all these cars like the C5 or Mondeo can be got for buttons..,

If you have the funds of 8k then look at a Dacia, megane or captur as you like it.

The 1.5 DCI is used across a lot of models and few other makes.....

Very reliable but as with anything you can be unlucky or just don't know how well it was cared for....

I can't see how the Mondeo rusted so bad in a year so maybe you need someone to give the car a look over before you buy whether it's €1k or €8k.

Your doing huge mileage so you really want comfort so the usual is the bigger the model the better.

The captur is small but exactly like the megane hatch just stretched upwards.

Whatever you buy a must is cruise, Bluetooth, comfy seats and reliability.

Many of the 1.5dci don't have a dpf like my 2011 megane.

Mondeo is scrap.

I'm not really attached to the mondeo as I was with the citroen. I'm not getting annoyed about the mondeo as much, as I didn't really expect to get anymore than a year out of it when I bought it.

I'm more annoyed that a car that's motoring along grand is heading to the scrapyard. Also annoyed I've to go through the hassle of looking for a replacement, but are I say, I kinda knew that was gonna happen anyway.

I've been looking at mondeos again and it's very frustrating the amount of them that have no mention of cruise control, or pics of the steering wheel to see if the buttons are there (so many cars do have it, but there's no mention of it).

There is a 2007 one for less than a grand with an NCT til 07/20 so I've contacted that chap but not heard back yet. I'll give him a ring tomorrow.

My line of thinking at the moment is to try and get a car bought and taxed for a year for under 2k, with as long an NCT as possible.

Naturally, the cheaper the better, as again, I expect I'll be the last owner of it.

My essential criteria is cruise control and air con. Again, this is made annoying by the lack of people mentioning cruise in their ads. :rolleyes:

Many of the 1.5dci don't have a dpf like my 2011 megane.

Thats an interesting comment. I was looking at a 2016 captur 1.5 diesel. I had assumed that every diesel in the last decade or so had a dpf. Does this effectively mean you don't get the dpf hassle at all? Or have they just been replaced with something else that gives just as much hassle, but under a different name?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Buy something like the superb I posted in the bangernomics thread.

A Mk1 cheap tax superb or a mk1 cheap tax octavia would suit you down to the ground.

A 2016 captur would be euro6 compliant so it'll have a dpf.

• Advertisement

Buy something like the superb I posted in the bangernomics thread.

A Mk1 cheap tax superb or a mk1 cheap tax octavia would suit you down to the ground.

A 2016 captur would be euro6 compliant so it'll have a dpf.

Can't put my finger on it, but there's something very off putting about that Superb you posted (the €1,900 blue one).

Superb is a nice car in general though. Must take a look for them (tomorrow.. I'm off to my leaba for the moment) 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I rang NDLS earlier in the week to get the address changed on my licence only to be told that I have to get the medical report, eyesight report etc. all done again along with payment as though I were applying for the licence for the first time.

I thought the whole idea of these card licences and having to go in person to these centres was that you could do everything else online afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dartz wrote: »
    Pretty much.

And there is no spare wheel.

It's just a visual and it's easily sorted - but bloody annoying nonetheless as I had to go to an appointment in work after being in Northpoint for nearly an hour.

I just hate that it always fails on utterly petty ****e - usually things that were perfectly passable the year before.

My prius failed the NCT 2 days ago on a visual (number plate illumination on the back)
    So I went outside to the carpark, punched the boot interior a couple of times (that prius is a very finicky car when it comes to electrics, think it was rewired by an unwashed moron in a hat) and one of the lights came on. Went back to the centre (hadnt even left the carpark) and got a visual and pass cert not 10 mins after the fail cert.

If you failed on a visual that you could have corrected in the carpark then you have some issues :D:D

In fairness, the second item on the NCT checklist is "The boot is empty and your vehicle is clear of all valuables and personal belongings"

I rang NDLS earlier in the week to get the address changed on my licence only to be told that I have to get the medical report, eyesight report etc. all done again along with payment as though I were applying for the licence for the first time. ..............

medical report, eyesight report etc ????????
    What license requires that...... HGV or something?

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

Nope, normal driving licence. That's what I was told over the phone by an NDLS employee.

Augeo wrote: »

Bus also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I rang NDLS earlier in the week to get the address changed on my licence only to be told that I have to get the medical report, eyesight report etc. all done again along with payment as though I were applying for the licence for the first time.

I thought the whole idea of these card licences and having to go in person to these centres was that you could do everything else online afterwards?

Have you anything out of the ordinary on your licence that warrants the medical report?

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply.html#to-apply-to-update-your-address

ciarsd wrote: »
    Have you anything out of the ordinary on your licence that warrants the medical report?

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply.html#to-apply-to-update-your-address

Nope, not a thing although she may have said that in case it applied to me.

That's not the point though. We were all told that once we went through the process of getting the card-style licence that everything can then be done online or over the phone afterwards.

Now it turns out that I have to go through the whole application process again just to change my address.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd ring again. If it's like Revenue you will probably get a different person and a different answer.

.......... an NDLS employee.

Are they clerical officers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

CRVT question for ye...

If you've a van that has been out of test since September 18 and you were to get it tested now would you get a test till September 20 or would you just get 6 months from September 19?

CRVT question for ye...

If you've a van that has been out of test since September 18 and you were to get it tested now would you get a test till September 20 or would you just get 6 months from September 19?

You only get what is left so same as NCT.

You won't get the year it will be like you said.

Cheers for those interested in giving me a hand with my car hunt.

Unfortunately, as said previous, my 2007 Mondeo failed the NCT on a few things, making it unrealistic to bother fixing it up (which I still maintain is a shame as it still drove great, but how and ever).

So I Spent €900 yesterday and ended up with it's facelifted Brother, going from a 1.8 Petrol to a 1.8 diesel.

The Old and the New:

mondeos.jpg

I think water ingress at the boot is an issue, as there was a shallow pool of water there (under the spare wheel) when I pulled the car apart to give it some thorough cleaning today, but I'll keep an eye on it. It has an NCT til 08/20, so if i can get that far out of it, for €900, I'll be a happy camper. It's a tad noisy at idle after been driven for a bit.

I'm in two minds as to whether or not I'll send it over to my mechanic next week and get a quick look over done to see if he can spot any potential issues that might take it off the road, or if I'll just keep driving it and hope nothing drastic happens. I don't want to plunge a fortune into it, but at the same time if I can spend €200 now on some pulleys or belts etc. that will prevent the car writing itself off in 2 months, it could be money well spent.

Historically, I have had rotten luck with diesel cars. :rolleyes: Hopefully this will be the one that doesn't hate me (until 08/20, when the NCT expires.. can do what it wants then!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Those Mondeo 1.8 diesels have a wet belt. Do you know when that was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If it wasn't done do not get it done on a €900 car. Drive it till it snaps.

I've no idea, but even if the seller told me it was done last week, I wouldn't trust them anyway :pac: But a big job like that is beyond the remits of what I'm likely to undertake on a 'bangernomics' style of car.

I'd spend about €200, maybe €300 if absolutely essential, to keep it on the road, if there was something obviously wrong with it, that could be fixed and would add a definite lifespan to the car (ie if the serpentine belt was slipping off or something like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They switched from a dry to a wet belt on those 1.8TDCi engines sometime in late 2007. You would need to check the engine code but if it does have a wet belt then I think it's about €700 to change which isn't practical to spend on a €900 car unless you want to keep it for a few years. Other than that and a habitat for flywheels they are a fairly reliable engine if a bit unrefined. As said just drive it on until the belt or flywheel goes then get rid and buy another cheap car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

bazz26 wrote: »
    They switched from a dry to a wet belt on those 1.8TDCi engines sometime in late 2007. You would need to check the engine code but if it does have a wet belt then I think it's about €700 to change which isn't practical to spend on a €900 car unless you want to keep it for a few years. Other than that and a habitat for flywheels they are a fairly reliable engine if a bit unrefined. As said just drive it on until the belt or flywheel goes then get rid and buy another cheap car.

As far as i gather looking into this before, any built after 10/07 will have a wet belt.

Oh no.....

I think water ingress at the boot is an issue, as there was a shallow pool of water there (under the spare wheel) when I pulled the car apart to give it some thorough cleaning today........

Looks a grand buy.
    Best of luck with it.

Drill a hole in drain plug :pac:

That's an dry belt guessing from the reg.

Cheers for the replies and advice folks. I genuinely appreciate it.

It did about 5 hours on the road today, and it seemed grand. No real issues appeared. Only thing I noticed was, for some reason I can't quite pinpoint, the driver-door buttons for the windows, wouldn't work for the windows on the passenger side. I was worried i may have soaked them or something when I was cleaning it.

After about 10-15 minutes driving the car they were back working fine though. No idea why, but I won't question it.

Completely unrelated, but the air-con needs re-gassing, and it reminded me of when I brought my other Mondeo to get the air con done at First Stop beside me. Costs about €60 which is reasonable enough and they do a good job (presuming no other issues with the air-con, like it leaking etc.) worked fine on my old Mondeo.

When I went in to collect the car after they did the air-con, yer man behind the counter said my front brake pads were fcuked (actual words, didn't dress it up too much). I commented that I wasn't planning to do anything with it til the NCT got closer to see if the car was gonna commit suicide or such first. This was in, I think, February.

I'd say I've traveled about 30k km since then, and the brakes still passed the NCT. Yer man in the NCT centre actually commented (because I mentioned i knew it was gonna fail on the brakes) that the brakes had a good bit of life left in them.

So there ya go. Never trust 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Well wear with the new Mondeo it's a pity the other one was a shed because it looks great!

Never trust those tyre centres i called to Advance one day to fix a puncture and the lad told me my timing belt was way overdue but it has a chain...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

@KKV not sure I would bother bringing it to the mechanic if it starts ok, drives ok and stops ok then I wouldn’t be too worried considering you bought it cheap. Over the course of ownership you should really only be worried about keeping the oil and filters changed, making sure brakes ie discs and pads, and finally tyres are all good. After that just drive it on forget about timing belts, flywheels, clutches and all that as you said yourself if you get a year out of it it will of well paid for itself.

In a way you have to be quite disciplined with bangernomics cars it’s very tempting to spend a couple of 100 euro here and there on it fixing things that aren’t really essential. I don’t think one would ever work for me as I would spend too much trying to have it mechanically perfect as small things being wrong would just bother me. When you are like that then it just turns into a money pit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Has the m7 after Naas went back to 120 kmh yet ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement