Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A protective mother with 2 sons, and their girlfriends are in competition.

Options
  • 22-03-2018 1:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭

A mother with only 2 children both men in their early 20s and very protective over them. Is it normal or the expected thing for their girlfriends to nearly be in competition with one another to impress the mother and want the mother to prefer her? I'm assuming if there were 3 brothers with 3 girlfriends the situation might seem different.
    On nights out one of the girls starts saying out loud "oh your mother is texting me asking me about the both of yee and about where we are and what were doing". She texts her all night nearly as a lick arse. Whereas the other one (me) would rather enjoy the night and simply not involve the mother.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Run away. Far and fast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

No, it’s not normal. I like my mother in law but I don’t need to be friends with her or have her know everything we’re up to. If my brother in law had a girlfriend who did then I’d leave her off. If the mother is anyway normal she’ll see through it as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Kilduffyras1

I thought the exact same thing. This girl has been going out with my boyfriend's brother for 6 years. I've been going out with my boyfriend for 3. When we started going out, I was all trying to organise double dates. I wanted to get on with this girl and have a good relationship with her but in the past year I hate her. She is from cork and every time she comes up to us in galway she buys the mother flowers. She only sees the mother twice a month where I see her every other day. I wonder does she feel threatened that I see the mother more?

It really annoyed me on Friday night. We were sitting in a chipper and she shouted out at my boyfriend "Keith, your mam is texting me about you aswell" and she was smiling and laughing saying it. I was like in my head "Keith is my boyfriend, why is she texting you about my boyfriend, why won't she text ME asking is Keith alright"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

You need to chill. Whatever she's trying to stir, she's succeeding.

• Advertisement

I know she's succeeding but its the fact she is trying to stir something! I never wanted this competition but she keeps at it and at it. I don't know it she jealous because she knows really me and the mother see each other more, or is she jealous that she's a size 18 and I'm a size 8. I just don't know. Girls have funny ways of seeing things but it's really pissing me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

To be blunt OP, this all sounds like unnecessary hard work that you can just step aside from.

Yer one sounds very immature, I'd just limit my contact with her unless there is a big family event (wedding for example). Stop going out with them when she's in town - Why would you subject yourself to that childish nonsense in your spare time?

You are in a relationship with your boyfriend, not his mother, his brother or his brother's girlfriend.

Some overprotective or 'close' mammies like having their children and partners all over them, baying for their attention, being competitive; and they like being overly involved in their childrens lives. I went out with a mammies boy years ago and found everything that comes with it (competition, interference, sly digs etc) very off-putting. I'd suggest limiting your involvement in the mammy dynamic too for your own sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Only person you need to get along withis your bf, if you get along with the brother his gf there mom great if not as long as it's civil your fine, but you only need to worry about how you and him get along, maybe they just click and get along that's fine for them same way your fine if you don't click with them

I know, I need to step back. But it is very hard when the mother is always saying to others "oh you haven't met James girlfriend, Katie from cork, she's a lovely girl".
    I guess I just thought the situation was rare, a mother with only 2 kids, both boys, and both wit girlfriends around the same age. I wanted to know if there was any girls in the exact same situation and how they get on with the brother in laws girlfriend and if there's competition there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

There is only competition if you allow there to be, she can't compete with herself!

So what if she has a different relationship with her boyfriend's mother than you. It seems odd that the mother would be texting asking how her adult sons are but do you really want to be getting texts on a night out from your boyfriend's mother?

Be the more mature one and just let her on. If she says "oh mary is texting about Keith" say "thats nice" and change the conversation.

• Advertisement

To be honest, it kinda sounds like you’re a bit jealous that the mother seems to get on with the other girl better.

And is it even normal for a mother to be texting her nearly 24 year old son when he's on nights out and if he can't get through to him she will text the girlfriend?
    I tryed saying this to my boyfriend ages ago but he gets thick, I tell him to tell his mother to eff off and he gets thicker. I know the only time I ever receive a message from my mum if I'm out late is "the roads are slippy, take care driving home". She would never text my boyfriend about my whereabouts. But this woman needs to know his whereabouts at all times. The other night the gym closed at 10pm , nd myself and him went to get a mcflurry and by 10.20 she had text him on his whereabouts. This is so frustrating. And when i confront him about it he says "its nothing to do wit you, nd how would that effect YOU" .I like my boyfriend a lot but his mother is over powering. Will this continue into our life if we ever get married? Will she want to know every minute detail of where he is? She needs to know his plan every evening and if he's gone anywhere else she's ringing him!

I'm just so annoyed about the entire situation. Katie (other girlfriend) seems to be perfectly fine about the mother being IN their relationship. She's fine about her texting her constantly on nights out, she seems to love it. But yet I hate it. I want my boyfriend to have the same attitude to his mother as I would have to mine if she even acted half the way mother in law acts. I would hate if my mother continuously contacted me. As I said I only get warned about taking care when driving in bad weather

bee06 wrote: »
    To be honest, it kinda sounds like you’re a bit jealous that the mother seems to get on with the other girl better.

I'm actually not because they don't get on better but it's the attitude of the both of them that pisses me off. Is it a bad thing to lay down the law with this girl when I see her again and let her know that I'm know longer gonna stand her trying to make me jealous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Anne1982h

I would honestly take a deep breath and forget about this completely. I was in a similar situation. Had to listen to the MIL saying things like ‘oh other son is so lucky to be going out with x’ in a very pointed manner. I always got the impression she liked her a lot more than me - then they broke up and suddenly she was the worlds worse and I was great. No doubt when he goes out with someone new I’ll be demoted to no.2 again. It’s not worth wasting any energy over. His mother will have her own opinions on things and people so let her have them. Just be yourself around her which I’m sure is nice.

I bring my MIL flowers whenever I go to visit as I think it’s nice to bring something when I’m going to stay at her house all weekend. As you clearly live nearby this is a moot point for you but I wouldn’t think it’s the other girl licking up. If you wanted to be nice you could get her a small Christmas/birthday gift or a nice Easter egg - I do that too.

Finally why do you care if she’s texting the other gf or your boyfriend. Some parents worry. As long as he’s not saying I need to go home ASAP as his mother wants him then what’s the harm in her texting and him texting back saying I’m fine and that he is out with you. You’re building it all up in your head. You be you and let the other girlfriend be herself. If your boyfriend is happy to check in with his Mam so she knows he is ok then let him do that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Will this continue into our life if we ever get married? Will she want to know every minute detail of where he is? She needs to know his plan every evening and if he's gone anywhere else she's ringing him!

Probably, yes. I have a similar situation but at least it drives my wife mad. I don't understand it, i could go a week or two without talking to my Dad but she rings my wife EVERY day, sometimes more. I'm used to it now and to be fair she rarely involves me - if there's a panic on I might get a text but otherwise it's not too bad.

But it won't change, especially if your BF doesn't care about it. He's probably used to it and thinks most families are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

I hope you're using fake names here OP as Ireland is a very small place?
    While it's probably a bit annoying of the other girl and she could maybe grow up a bit I don't see why you're getting so wound up about it, it's particularly b*tchy saying she's doing it because you're thinner than her :eek:

If you do have such a great relationship with the MIL then what does it matter if the brother's gf is chatting to her too? You see her every other day, she doesn't see her as often and probably likes to make a point of not feeling left out as she's only there a couple of times a month. Be the bigger person (figuratively - you've pointedly told us that she is physically the bigger person) and just let it go.

With regard to the texting - every family is different, maybe the mother worries a lot and needs assurance from her sons that they're ok, not really your business if they like to send a quick text to let her know all is fine, telling your boyfriend that she should eff off is both rude and disrespectful and I don't blame him for getting annoyed with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I know she's succeeding but its the fact she is trying to stir something! I never wanted this competition but she keeps at it and at it. I don't know it she jealous because she knows really me and the mother see each other more, or is she jealous that she's a size 18 and I'm a size 8. I just don't know. Girls have funny ways of seeing things but it's really pissing me off.

It sounds like there's a pair of you in it, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

Your boyfriend's relationship with his mother is his business and I think by telling him how you want him to interact with his mother you've overstepped the mark. You have no right to do that. Yes it would drive you mad if your mam did that but his relationship is different and you need to accept that.

Let the other girl do whatever she wants - it's no reflection on you!

I think the only potential problem that could arise is if your boyfriend starts to want you to behave differently. If he does you'd be perfectly right to tell him to feck off. Otherwise how on earth does his mother texting her son's girlfriend affect you at all?

I'm actually not because they don't get on better but it's the attitude of the both of them that pisses me off. Is it a bad thing to lay down the law with this girl when I see her again and let her know that I'm know longer gonna stand her trying to make me jealous?

Lay down the law! You don’t get to control her relationship with the mother. You assume she’s trying to make you jealous but maybe she’s just happy to be texting her. The two sons seem to be ok with the relationships they have with her as well and it doesn’t sound like it’s going to change. You need to decide if you can deal with it or not.

• Advertisement

Otherwise how on earth does his mother texting her son's girlfriend affect you at all?[/quote]

Texting her son's girlfriend about how he is is fine. but texting her about both of her boys, when one of them is my BF and when I'm sitting right beside them all is frustrating. It makes me feel like she thinks I'm not responsible enough to look after my boyfriend on a night out. Like why doesn't she text Katie and say "how's James, is he drunk, when will yee be home, look after him" and then text me "how's Keith, is he drunk, when will yee be home, look after him"

loalae wrote: »
    Your boyfriend's relationship with his mother is his business and I think by telling him how you want him to interact with his mother you've overstepped the mark. You

I think the only potential problem that could arise is if your boyfriend starts to want you to behave differently. If he does you'd be perfectly right to tell him to feck off. Otherwise how on earth does his mother texting her son's girlfriend affect you at all?

Texting her son's girlfriend about how he is is fine. but texting her about both of her boys, when one of them is my BF and when I'm sitting right beside them all is frustrating. It makes me feel like she thinks I'm not responsible enough to look after my boyfriend on a night out. Like why doesn't she text Katie and say "how's James, is he drunk, when will yee be home, look after him" and then text me "how's Keith, is he drunk, when will yee be home, look after him"

Otherwise how on earth does his mother texting her son's girlfriend affect you at all?

And you’re not jealous that she’s getting texts and you’re not? Why would she send 2 texts when you’re all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

But....do you want her to do that? I though you said that it drives you mad that she texts your boyfriend so often. Surely you'd find it even more annoying if she was texting you?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

I'll probably get in trouble for saying this but I think you just need to get over yourself to be honest

loalae wrote: »
    But....do you want her to do that? I though you said that it drives you mad that she texts your boyfriend so often. Surely you'd find it even more annoying if she was texting you?

I know but it's the fact that she is loving announcing it to us that the mother is texting her. It's not making me jealous, it's the fact that she is trying to make me jealous that annoys me and she thinks she's making me jealous. I would not want to give her that satisfaction and think in her her head "Mary prefers me". Why can't she just text her back and say nothing. Why is she announcing it to us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Anne1982h

To be honest you sound a bit immature in all of this. It’s perfectly plausible that she would text her about your boyfriend. You don’t own him. He is her boyfriends brother and she is out on a night out with him so she is in the perfect position to inform his mother how he is if she is texting her and wanting to know. If it makes you feel like she doesn’t think you can take care of her son then that is your feelings and interpretation of the situation and nothing to do with either the mother or the girlfriend. It’s your problem. Like I said previously you’ve completely built this up in your head. Maybe the other girlfriend is a nice friendly girl who likes bringing her mother in law flowers when she comes to stay and is happy to text her 24/7 - let her be how she wants to be and you be how you want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

You all sound like a nightmare!

She probably feels very left out as she doesn't live near you all so is over compensating - just ignore her. I doubt her intention is to make you jealous!

You however sound quite unreasonable - she must be jealous of you because your skinny?? Do you realise how conceited that sounds.

OP, the girlfriend has been around for longer than you. They already have a set dynamic since before you came along. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you get to lay down the law and change it.

• Advertisement

A lot of you are speaking correctly. But having said that, at the end of the day is it normal that my mother in all is texting her about MY boyfriend?. In all honesty, is this normal? The mother is texting her about HER boyfriend and his brother. Even though I'm sitting there right next to them alive and well?

Advertisement