Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

I was there around 3.30 and no cars drove down the street were the bollards not up.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Magnatu wrote: »
    No idea. I only know that there is a higher volume of cars driving through Patrick Street during the hours that the ban is in force than when it is not in force. There are more private cars driving through the street at 3pm than there is at 2pm.

Can't.... cope with.... ridiculousness.... of statement! <<explodes>>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

Can't.... cope with.... ridiculousness.... of statement! <<explodes>>

Really. Statement is not at all ridiculous and easily proved one way or the other by empirical evidence.

Step1. Go stand on Patrick Street at 1pm when ban is not in force. Count the number of private cars that pass you in a ten minute period.

Step 2 Go stand on Patrick Street at 4pm when ban is in force. Count the number of private cars that pass you in a ten minute period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Really. Statement is not at all ridiculous and easily proved one way or the other by empirical evidence.

Step1. Go stand on Patrick Street at 1pm when ban is not in force. Count the number of private cars that pass you in a ten minute period.

Step 2 Go stand on Patrick Street at 4pm when ban is in force. Count the number of private cars that pass you in a ten minute period.

Step 3: Realise that the restrictions are in force during the busiest time of the day so you would expect more traffic in the city regardless.

Step 4: Compare traffic on Patrick St. this time last year to traffic now instead of comparing different times of day.

Only Step 1 and Step 2 are required to prove that the statement that I made is factually correct.

• Advertisement

I've only noticed flip all cars on Patricks street any time I've cycled down it lately (not zero cars, but single digits, making it lovely to cycle on).

I can only imagine this scenario in my head. I cycle down the road and all is quiet, Magnatu pops their head out....

Only Step 1 and Step 2 are required to prove that the statement that I made is factually correct.

Factual statements usually require facts

Even if they are supported by evidence what use are they? All you're showing is that rush hour is busier than other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

H*ly Fu8k.

Words can't even now. And I normally have a good tolerance level.

My frustration here is not because I believe I know more, or feel I am right. It is waaaay beyond that now.

You are delusional if you truly believe what you just said there.

Either that or you are now trolling. It's impossible to tell.

flexcon wrote: »
    H*ly Fu8k.

My frustration here is not because I believe I know more, or feel I am right. It is waaaay beyond that now.

You are delusional if you truly believe what you just said there.

Either that or you are now trolling. It's impossible to tell.

Calm down now Flexcon.
    You have made statements on this thread in the past that were shown to be factually incorrect. If you recall you were basing your claims on out of date pics from Google images.
    Instead of bluster and insults again how about we just deal with the facts.

I made a statement. I believe it to be factually accurate. It's veracity is easily verifiable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

H*ly Fu8k.

He's on my ignore list for a good reason. It's just easier not to tolerate the lies he keeps coming out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Calm down now Flexcon.
    You have made statements on this thread in the past that were shown to be factually incorrect. If you recall you were basing your claims on out of date pics from Google images.
    Instead of bluster and insults again how about we just deal with the facts.

I made a statement. I believe it to be factually accurate. It's veracity is easily verifiable.

I'm glad that post was edited, albeit I spat my soup out laughing when i read the original :eek::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Guards are not enforcing the ban was in there yesterday guards doing nothing and carrying on their business as cars and delivery trucks drove through during ban time

Not sure when the traffic light system started working but now, during the closed periods the traffics lights are showing a GREEN Bus light.

So now motorists have two cues,

1) 1 24/7 physical sign
    2) a categorical reference to BUS only on the turning lanes.

I personally now think at this stage, I'd have no problem in ticketing everyone. The grace period is enough, and now there doesn't seem to be any excuse for missing the lights. Missing the signs - I totally get. Happens a lot. But the lights? That's not acceptable.

I personally now think at this stage, I'd have no problem in ticketing everyone. The grace period is enough, and now there doesn't seem to be any excuse for missing the lights. Missing the signs - I totally get. Happens a lot. But the lights? That's not acceptable.
    3 penalty points for failure to obey traffic lights isn't it? I presume the bus priority lights have legal status?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Is this ban in effect on Sundays also? I was in town on Sunday at around 1700 and there was a traffic jam of cars the half length of the street northbound.

Lots of private cars were parked on the street also, which I'd presume are breaking the rules at that point if the ban is in effect on Sundays.

On that note any private car parked on the street after 1700 during the ban deserves a ticket as it either broke the red light or over-ran its parking disc time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Is this ban in effect on Sundays also? I was in town on Sunday at around 1700 and there was a traffic jam of cars the half length of the street northbound.

Lots of private cars were parked on the street also, which I'd presume are breaking the rules at that point if the ban is in effect on Sundays.

On that note any private car parked on the street after 1700 during the ban deserves a ticket as it either broke the red light or over-ran its parking disc time.

Parking in the bus lane - sure. But just for parking? You'd have absolutely no proof that the driver was in violation of the bus lane rules.

grogi wrote: »
    Parking in the bus lane - sure. But just for parking? You'd have absolutely no proof that the driver was in violation of the bus lane rules.

How did they get on to the street?

I'm sorry if I'm overlooking something, but is there any viable method of a car being in a parking space after 1700 not breaking either parking rules or bus lane rules?

The parking signs have been updated to exclude the restricted hours, at least the ones I saw.

Would have worked up to recently.

The parking signs have been updated so if you are parked there traffic warden should have absolute power to ticket now. although I didn't walk the whole length of the street so unsure if all zones show this. EDIt: do parking wardens even work on Sunday? The signs are loading bay Monday to Saturday. No parking at any other time.

Seems slowly they have clamped down that there isn't any real way of having an excuse anymore? Or a least a valid daily reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

How did they get on to the street?

Maybe testing a new method of teleportation?!
    I'm sorry if I'm overlooking something, but is there any viable method of a car being in a parking space after 1700 not breaking either parking rules or bus lane rules?

No need to be sorry. But you you have to proof particular offence. You cannot fine the driver for doing this or that, while you don't know exactly which offence was commited.

No need to be sorry. But you you have to proof particular offence. You cannot fine the driver for doing this or that, while you don't know exactly which offence was commited.

I see what you're saying: I'd have suggested the lesser of the two FCN amounts and leave them appeal.
    It's a moot point now anyway as the above posters are saying that those parking bays are no longer available for use during the ban.

Which I assume means that the many private cars I saw on Sunday were driving against the rules. That's a shame.

Maybe testing a new method of teleportation?!

i think to clear up confusion there was two suggested points.

A - Being if you see a driver going down the road then they get the fine and the points.

B - If you see the car is already there and parked up, they only get a ticket.

That seems to satisfy the logic of proof and gives the benefit of the doubt. for example his excuse may be he parked the car inside the bus and the bus pulled over and the car drove off into the car park space. That would satisfy the notion that at no point did the driver drive down Patrick street. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

In Belgium they use ANPR cameras, obviously have a way of distinguishing buses, taxis and motorbikes which may not be possible here

That's pretty much what I saw on Sunday at around 1700.

I've no ulterior motive in posting that: I literally didn't know whether the ban was in place on Sunday or not.

I was only on the street for around 15 mins all-in but saw nobody attempt to enforce the rules either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Well that's working well ðŸ˜

Still have no idea what kind of brain fart generated a ban for a few hours a day. Totally bonkers. All or nothing imo.otherwise you have the resulting have now.

Yet we have North Main St. traders calling into Neil today saying trade is down because of the restrictions... And Johnny Grace's posting this:

https://twitter.com/grace_fried/status/1059509931722899462

Of course focus on the empty road (as it should be) and ignore the people walking on the footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Can't argue what you see in the photo but I think the pana ban is more important during the week than at the weekends. Not as many people commuting from work on a Sunday and there's less congestion overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

TheChizler wrote: »
    Yet we have North Main St. traders calling into Neil today saying trade is down because of the restrictions... And Johnny Grace's posting this:

https://twitter.com/grace_fried/status/1059509931722899462

Of course focus on the empty road (as it should be) and ignore the people walking on the footpaths.

John Grace needs to wake up and realize that selling fast food might be the reason his business is down and not the fault of the pana ban.

Advertisement