Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018 - Round 1 – Australia

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

I think it was SPA last year that Alsono put in an incredible lap for the then Honda , it turned out (or the comments made after )it was the car thought it was at a different point on the track and had deployed more of the battery .............kinda showed its a bit more software for some stuff these days than the driver .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

that shows exactly what is wrong with the sport. its all predicted and analised to death. bann all that and we might get some racing

Easy to say that but we can't exactly have a wholesale ban on computers in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Easy to say that but we can't exactly have a wholesale ban on computers in this day and age.

Also...if I could figure out the scenario live, at 7am, in bed and with one eye open only, you don't exactly need a supercomputer nor any software to do that. Mercedes might be blaming some glitch, but I'd say it was more of a brainfart than anything else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Also...if I could figure out the scenario live, at 7am, in bed and with one eye open only, you don't exactly need a supercomputer nor any software to do that. Mercedes might be blaming some glitch, but I'd say it was more of a brainfart than anything else :)

Yeah, complacency must have crept in across the team with them thinking they were so far ahead. Hamilton was cocky as fook all weekend. You'd think someone in the team would have copped it.

Still, Toto and Ham didn't seem all that upset by it which is scary. Back to normal for the next race?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Did anyone read Andrew Benson's disgraceful race report on the BBC website? He strongly implied that the Haas retirements were engineered in order to benefit Ferrari.
    Bizarre Haas error helps out 'mother' Ferrari

He is a joke of a journalist, surely the BBC can do better than a clown like him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I'd say his tongue was firmly in his cheek there. I'd be looking more into why Kimi pitted first. Vettel seems to get more 'luck' than Kimi in these kind of situations. Think it's not the first time it's happened.

Benson is absolutely pathetic tbh. This is by no means the worst I've seen from him though.

recyclebin wrote: »
    I'd say his tongue was firmly in his cheek there. I'd be looking more into why Kimi pitted first. Vettel seems to get more 'luck' than Kimi in these kind of situations. Think it's not the first time it's happened.

Guess Kimi pitted first as he was ahead on the track - pitting earlier is normally an advantage, except in rare circumstances when a SC/VSC enters the picture a few minutes later - exactly what happened.

It can be argued that Raikkonen's pitstop really was the catalyst of the way the race unfolded - Mercedes pitted Hamilton to cover the possible undercut, and that allowed Ferrari to leave Vettel out "just in case something happens" - which it did this time.

However, pitting Seb first would have made very little sense if any - while Kimi was only about 3.3 seconds off Hamilton, Vettel was some 8 seconds adrift - hardly in the position to engineer an undercut and, more importantly, not entirely clear of the traffic behind him (I believe he would have rejoined behind Magnussen and maybe Verstappen, had he pitted when Raikkonen did).

The way they go on you'd swear Hamilton never had any luck with safety cars. Most of his charging from the back drives had safety cars. One I remember he started at the back, tremendous first lap, did little more, blew his tyres early, pitted, few laps later he'd zoomed up to the back of a train who all pitted (earlier than they would have) and he ended up like 7th or 8th (and improved further). Most drivers at top teams have had similar things happen, not looking to pick on Hamilton. It's a **** thing when it affects you. :P

The way they go on you'd swear Hamilton never had any luck with safety cars. Most of his charging from the back drives had safety cars. One I remember he started at the back, tremendous first lap, did little more, blew his tyres early, pitted, few laps later he'd zoomed up to the back of a train who all pitted (earlier than they would have) and he ended up like 7th or 8th (and improved further). Most drivers at top teams have had similar things happen, not looking to pick on Hamilton. It's a **** thing when it affects you. :P

Well, it's endemic. They're the same who claimed Rosberg not to be deserving a WDC (Bottas is proving them wrong very effectively, if anything), and kept going on about 2016 being decided by the engine blow up in Malaysia. They somehow forgot to notice Nico being hit by Verstappen in the very first corner of the same race...more interestingly, they didn't think that Lewis putting it in the wall in Baku had to be at least as important as the blown engine :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement