Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018 - Round 1 – Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Watch highlights on CH4 and there was an interesting comparison between Hamilton and Räikkönen in qualifying. The Ferrari was half a tenth quicker on the straights than the Merc, but in the corners, Hamilton was much quicker in the medium and high speed corners. In turns 11&12, the quick change of direction through that sequence alone saw Hamilton 0.25 quicker. Clearly Merc chassis is good and perhaps their trick suspension might be yielding dividends. Ferrari have work to do in this department and if they close the gap, they will rattle Mercedes.

However both Mercs also struggled in traffic and seemed to loose both downforce and cooling. This has always been a weakness of theirs which hopefully the others will exploit going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Harika

Hamilton lost because both Ferraris were sticking with him. After Kimi pitted he had do stop too as else he would have been undercut. That opened the opportunity for vettel to stay out and hope for a safety car.
    In previous years the Mercedes were so dominant that only one could stay with them at best and they could counter that easily.
    Personally I see a good season ahead. Still Mercedes dominated but better than other years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Its not even the downforce

The rules won't let them race

3 engines a year and low fuel flow is an endurance race

They need to get rid of fuel flow crap and engine rule and let them go 100% after each other for the whole race

Fastest lap today from leaders was slower than last year and 2 seconds slower than 15 years ago

Road cars are faster than F1 in a straight line now, they need alot more straight line speed

The new cars are quick, but rules are killing them

In race pace is a joke compared to qualifying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen the highlights on Channel 4. So glad I was not up at 6am for that. Delighted that Vettel won. The Haas seemed to have good pace but only for there f;uck up in the bits this would have been one very boring race. So thank you Haas. Sauber way behind. I do hope they can catch up. WTF Force India also what is the story about there name changing?
    Delighted to see all the Renault powered cars doing well and Alonso getting some good points.

Honda Toro Rosso got a lot of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

Loved that interview with Alonso on C4. Very funny. Great to see him in good form. Seems very upbeat about the new partnership with Renault.

Thank god Mercedes still haven't figured out how to get their car performing well in dirty air because if they do they're be no point in watching F1 anymore :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,133 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Hopefully some better races ahead where overtaking is easier

Nice to see Grosjean go and see the mechanics after and console them a bit

I put the F1 app on my phone and I received a push message with the headline "Software glitch cost Hamilton victory - Mercedes"

Im trying to think what glitch could cause his power plant and rear tyres to overheat to the extent that he backed off by over a second a lap for the last 5 laps... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How much software can there be in the Haas air guns? It was the (un)fortunate timing of the VSC that cost him the race.

flazio wrote: »
    How much software can there be in the Haas air guns? It was the (un)fortunate timing of the VSC that cost him the race.
    That's the thing though: it wasn't just the VSC. Hamilton could not maintain the pace in the last 5 laps. His car couldn't cope with the Ferrari's dirty air. Plus Vettle was much faster on old Ultrasofts at the end of his first stint than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

OK F1, you did enough to keep me watching. Barely ;)

Delighted that Seb got the win, you can say it was luck with the timing of the VSC but it wasn't luck that he was in the right place to take advantage of it when the opportunity arose. Other than that, they can change the graphics and theme music as much as they want but I didn't see anything to say that F1 has changed, I forsee a season of dirty air, lifting and coasting and winning on Saturdays. But as I said this time last year, Mercedes can't win again, can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

Gintonious wrote: »
    Decent result for the title, and great to see Alonso up there in 5th.

But that was one poxy race.
    The Alonso result was my highlight of the race. Would be great if McClaren put could put up a challenge this year. On the negatives what oh what has happened to the Williams team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

only for the haas screw up it would have been a very boring race. at least with the safety car we got seb in front so it gave it a small bit of interest.

where was bottas.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

only for the haas screw up it would have been a very boring race. at least with the safety car we got seb in front so it gave it a small bit of interest.

where was bottas.
    Think bottas finished 8th.Tbh i really dont like that australian circuit. Where can there be excitement if there is corners everywhere. Its probably the worst circuit on the calendar

bottas made no progress. he has the fastest car , he should have made up a lot of places. he should have been all over kimi or max but perez held him up. surely he could drs on the straight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭Jeff2

After the interview yesterday I was hoping Vettel was going to say "told you we would be parting tonight" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

recyclebin wrote: »
    Toro Rosso Honda last. Mclaren Renault 5th. That puts that debate to bed.

You have to wonder how long Honda will keep on going for until they decide to pack it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Jeff2 wrote: »
    After the interview yesterday I was hoping Vettel was going to say "told you we would be parting tonight" :D

I reckon raikkonen would have a smile for that, not sure about Hamilton though, he might be better at giving digs than taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Harika

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    You have to wonder how long Honda will keep on going for until they decide to pack it in.

Honda said they are in for the long run, so I wouldn't expect them to leave anytime soon. And with possible RedBull swapping to them for next year, might be worth to keep developing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Yep. Looking at the top 6, drivers known dog fighting, you'd expect huge on track battles but the track just doesn't allow it. Even before the current aero regs it was horrible for overtaking. It would have been interesting to see how things panned out for Haas. The same inexperience could have cost them on strategy too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

That's the thing though: it wasn't just the VSC. Hamilton could not maintain the pace in the last 5 laps. His car couldn't cope with the Ferrari's dirty air. Plus Vettle was much faster on old Ultrasofts at the end of his first stint than expected.

Ham slowed down for the last 5 laps to save the engine, he was not going to pass Vettel at that point so eased off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

One Honda engine down already for Gasly. Welcome to the Honda dream lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Some boos for Hamilton on the podium too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Bottas is a disgrace. Barely made it into the top 10 in that car

In fairness overtaking did seem ridiculously difficult, but at the same time it's hard to imagine Hamilton not doing a few positions better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

thierry14 wrote: »
    Its not even the downforce

The rules won't let them race

3 engines a year and low fuel flow is an endurance race

They need to get rid of fuel flow crap and engine rule and let them go 100% after each other for the whole race

Fastest lap today from leaders was slower than last year and 2 seconds slower than 15 years ago

Road cars are faster than F1 in a straight line now, they need alot more straight line speed

The new cars are quick, but rules are killing them

In race pace is a joke compared to qualifying

Even when there were unlimited engines (most top teams used at least 3 per car per race), no fuel flow limits and whatnot, race pace was inherently slower than qualifying - often by as much as 4/5 seconds. People keep referring to the frankly dreadful era of refueling, when cars were developed to be qualifying machines; Yep, often they were faster in the race than in qualifying, but it was also an era of zero overtaking and "don't risk it, he's gonna stop soon".

As for speed, as I said many moons ago before the current rules were adopted, faster cars always mean less wheel-to-wheel action and less overtaking; Going through corners faster narrows the "limit", creating a much smaller margin for error and different approaches (e.g. different lines to prepare an overtake). Cars that are faster on straights mean there's physically less time to complete an overtake. It's not a random occurrence that the slower racing series (e.g. touring cars) have the most overtakes.
    Ham slowed down for the last 5 laps to save the engine, he was not going to pass Vettel at that point so eased off

He did indeed give up and settled for second at that stage.

Much more interestingly, nobody seems to be talking about what actually was the deciding moment of the race - this:

aus2018.jpg

I'd have expected Hamilton, on fresh tires, to reign in Vettel's lead way faster after the pit stop; Instead, he actually didn't manage to gain on the Ferrari at the same rate he was doing on used tires before the stop. I distinctly thought "if there's a SC/VSC, Vettel's gonna lead" - and it happened mere moments later.

If this was a planned "strategy" on Merc/Hamilton's side, in term of managing pace, it's where their big own goal happened.

Did Hamilton not have traffic?

A second a lap for 5 laps should have been doable without wrecking the tyres and would've just got him ahead.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Much more interestingly, nobody seems to be talking about what actually was the deciding moment of the race - this:

aus2018.jpg

I'd have expected Hamilton, on fresh tires, to reign in Vettel's lead way faster after the pit stop; Instead, he actually didn't manage to gain on the Ferrari at the same rate he was doing on used tires before the stop. I distinctly thought "if there's a SC/VSC, Vettel's gonna lead" - and it happened mere moments later.

If this was a planned "strategy" on Merc/Hamilton's side, in term of managing pace, it's where their big own goal happened.

I sort of picked up on Hamilton's post-pitstop performance. I posted this yesterday

Rather than graphs, do we have access to the actual lap times for the period between Hamilton's stop and the VSC, and we can see whether it was a case of Hamilton being slow, Vettel being fast, or a combination of both.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I put the F1 app on my phone and I received a push message with the headline "Software glitch cost Hamilton victory - Mercedes"

Im trying to think what glitch could cause his power plant and rear tyres to overheat to the extent that he backed off by over a second a lap for the last 5 laps... :rolleyes:
    One of the Mercedes guys said they're investigating why the software didn't warn them that they were vulnerable to a pitstop under the VSC.

It looks like they let Hamilton coast, thinking that at 11 seconds behind that he would be ahead of Vettel no matter when Vettel stopped. Their strategy software should have warned them that if there was a VSC that Vettel could out and get out still in front, in which case Hamilton could have pushed and closed the gap, but it didn't.

It makes you wonder how much of the race is being run virtually and behind the scenes compared to what we see play out on track.

Edit: Actually I'd love to watch a race with access to the race prediction software that teams are using.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    One of the Mercedes guys said they're investigating why the software didn't warn them that they were vulnerable to a pitstop under the VSC.

It looks like they let Hamilton coast, thinking that at 11 seconds behind that he would be ahead of Vettel no matter when Vettel stopped. Their strategy software should have warned them that if there was a VSC that Vettel could out and get out still in front, in which case Hamilton could have pushed and closed the gap, but it didn't.

It makes you wonder how much of the race is being run virtually and behind the scenes compared to what we see play out on track.

that shows exactly what is wrong with the sport. its all predicted and analised to death. bann all that and we might get some racing

Advertisement