Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018 - Round 1 – Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

recyclebin wrote: »
    Toro Rosso Honda last. Mclaren Renault 5th. That puts that debate to bed.

Yeah, the hysteria around testing was quite funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Wasn't a classic but wasn't terrible either. If not for Haas with the screw up of the weekend Hamilton would likely have won.

Force India have a lot of work to do, miles off the pace. Pretty concerning how far they are behind Renault, Mclaren & Haas.

That music playing in the background is fcukin awful.

Trumpets are alright though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

That music playing in the background is fcukin awful.

If listening to Crofty wasn't bad enough, now we get to listen to this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Haas pace was really surprising. They look to be ahead of Mclaren and Renault.

Boos for Lewis again.

Trumpets are alright though! :D

I thought you were talking about the trumpets. They were irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Speaking of music, love this anthem combination!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Boos for Lewis again.

There must be a boardsies there :D

• Advertisement

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Speaking of music, love this anthem combination!

I used to hate it.....long story. :p Don't mind so much now!

Lol at Kimi.

Okay now I really want the Sky lads to just shut the **** up about the goddamn virtual safety car. Next race there will be a feature about 'should the VSC be applied in pitlane or not'

Lots of love for Kimi.....and he still couldn't give a fcuk! :D:D

It was hilarious :) he barely even blinked while they were chanting his name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

skipper_G wrote: »
    Okay now I really want the Sky lads to just shut the **** up about the goddamn virtual safety car. Next race there will be a feature about 'should the VSC be applied in pitlane or not'

It's not often that Johnny Herbert is the voice of reason.

It was hilarious :) he barely even blinked while they were chanting his name

There was this from yesterday too. :D
    https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/videos/1006425606181088/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Cars get within a second of each other and then they can't do anything.

Been like that for years, biggest problem when it comes to the racing.

Not necessarily, it wasn't such a big issue with the more aero-restricted cars used until a couple of years ago.

But the "fans" wanted faster cars, even 'though anybody and their dog with a shade of technical understanding foretold the return of the "trains", DRS or not...

Fcuking ridiculous and pathetic indeed - had the swap being the other way around, they'd be hailing it as a great move. Also, there's no way anybody can "gain" in the pitlane under the VSC, there still is a speed limit in there - it's just that, obviously, a stop "costs" less as the others aren't going full blast. It's the same as pitting as soon as a physical SC is deployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Cars are still rubbish in slip streams. Doesn't bode well for edge of your seats overtaking.
    There are still worrying signs for a Mercedes-Benz drive away, just look how Hamilton was able to get back into DRS after his little slip.
    It's still early days but it is still Mercedes-Benz's to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

That was fairly awful. Nothing to indicate that the issues of the last few years have been sorted out so we are looking at another season of dull races.
    Only real positive was seeing Alonso in a halfway decent car again.

• Advertisement

Just watching the post race stuff there on Sky. Rosberg is doing a damn fine job keeping the clowns hysteria in check! He's quite a catch for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Oh yeah my driver of the day.

Lastname

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Mercedes can't seem to be able to figure out how long a pit stop takes under virtual safety car. Same thing happened in Monaco a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Schorpio

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Fcuking ridiculous and pathetic indeed - had the swap being the other way around, they'd be hailing it as a great move. Also, there's no way anybody can "gain" in the pitlane under the VSC, there still is a speed limit in there - it's just that, obviously, a stop "costs" less as the others aren't going full blast. It's the same as pitting as soon as a physical SC is deployed.

I did actually get up to watch this - but went straight back to bed as soon as it finished!

The Sky lads have clearly been told to break everything down and explain what's going on for new fans. I understand the reasoning (presumably their feed is the one being used for the F1 TV Pro online feed), but still - it's really irritating!

And as H3llR4iser has said - it's not the first time position swapping has happened due to pit stops when the race is neutralised (either SC or VSC) so I really don't understand the mania around it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,139 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The constipation has hit him hard this year.
    I'd say the fella has never laughed in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Schorpio wrote: »
    The Sky lads have clearly been told to break everything down and explain what's going on for new fans. I understand the reasoning (presumably their feed is the one being used for the F1 TV Pro online feed), but still - it's really irritating!

Eh, I've noticed - I fear it's the "American way".

You can check this by watching some of the shows which have both US-geared and UK/Europe dubs, for example some of the older "Air Crash Investigation" / "MayDay" episodes...the US speaker is more sensationalistic, uses what I can only define a a more "bombastic" terminology and, in general, absurdly overexplains every little bit as if he/she was talking to little kids...or really dumb people. Things like explaining control surfaces 4/5 times in the 40 minutes of an episode, or having to point out that losing all engines or hydraulics mid-flight is a bad thing...you don't say :D.

I have a feeling we'll see more and more of this - starting with the new graphics; They're as garish as it gets - invasive, taking up a lot of the screen and...it took me until lap 40ish to figure out that the banner appearing at the top was the fastest lap, not some advertisement. My mind had subconsciously blocked it, because normally bright colours + mid top of the screen + unrolling animation = adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Decent result for the title, and great to see Alonso up there in 5th.

But that was one poxy race.

Advertisement