Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Bryan cleared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Will he return to being a full time competitor? I'd imagine he'll do the usual schedule including house shows, even if a Brock type deal (except on tv 52 weeks a year instead of 12) could be better for his long term health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Sure Daniel Bryan was Miz's rookie in NXT. The amount of footage for a video package for a showoff between the two would be vast.

I doubt we will get that soon however.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I reckon ROH and Cody Rhodes are pretty pissed as If Bryan didn't get cleared by wwe and left after his contract expired than they could of talked him into having his first match at the All In PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 85,056 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder will Bryan leave the GM post and go back to full time wrestler ???

Doesnt make sense for him to continue the GM post, could he get drafted to Raw in the shake up ?

so dream matches that may come through ??
    vs Nak
    vs Styles
    vs Balor
    vs Gargano
    will we finally get Kurt Angle vs Bryan

DB still needs revenge too on HBK :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

if he stays on Smackdown, this will be a major ratings boost for them. I can see Miz loosing at WM and heading to Smackdown then to kick off a programme with Bryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

There’s talk of AJ heading to Raw after Mania. Bryan could basically slot into his place and they get someone else like Miz or Finn also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pentecost wrote: »
    There’s talk of AJ heading to Raw after Mania. Bryan could basically slot into his place and they get someone else like Miz or Finn also.

I'm guessing that they'll flip the IC and US titles. I could see it being Orton as US champ goes to Raw, and tbh all three of the IC Mania guys flipping to Smackdown.

But 100% Miz is going to end up on Smackdown now. Bryan kicking the **** out of Miz will be an incredible moment, and I'd nearly have Miz attack Bryan asap after Mania to start that feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Delighted Bryan is coming back to the ring. I haven't even recorded an episode of Smackdown since the rosters changed but if Bryan is gonna be an active member of it I'll definitely be tuning in.

Could see Byran vs Nakamura for the title at Summerslam with Mr Money in the Bank The Miz waiting to capitalise in the background. Seeing Bryan finally beat up Miz is going to be a huge moment and I hope they portray it as such instead of keeping it in the midcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Delighted Bryan is coming back to the ring. I haven't even recorded an episode of Smackdown since the rosters changed but if Bryan is gonna be an active member of it I'll definitely be tuning in.

Could see Byran vs Nakamura for the title at Summerslam with Mr Money in the Bank The Miz waiting to capitalise in the background. Seeing Bryan finally beat up Miz is going to be a huge moment and I hope they portray it as such instead of keeping it in the midcard.

the heat miz or anyone would get for that would be insane

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

sky88 wrote: »
    the heat miz or anyone would get for that would be insane

Been done before with Orton/HHH over Bryan at SS 13. I just prefer if The Miz won the title from Nakamura, tell Bryan he will never get a shot of the WWE title as long as he's champion. Have Miz as a heel champ that just wins by flukes or with help from his cronies and have a good run as Champ. Don't have Bryan or Miz touch not even in TV matches. The only way Bryan can get his hands on the Miz is by winning the Rumble, Bryan goes on to win the Royal Rumble (make up for the mess up's they did in the past) and have Bryan chose the Miz for WM. The fans will be dying to see Bryan get his hands on the Miz.

That's the way I do it. But my worry is how WWE book Bryan going forward. All these great feuds many people have mentioned, with Styles, Nakamura, Rollins, Lesnar etc... Knowing WWE, They probably put him in there with Corbin and Jinder and have them go over him too. Remember the way they booked Bryan when he returned from his neck injury. Made him look a nobody in the RR, had jobber Wyatt beat him on his first night back on RAW and had to throw him into a ladder match at WM for the IC Title cause they had nothing for him. Don't be surprised if he's booked that way again.

But anyway, great to see him back as WWE wasn't the same when he retired. Keep him away from the Reign's show on Raw, fingers crossed he has a HBK style return and has some classics and hits the ground running. Great to see one of the great guys back and a babyface the fan's actually love.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Looper007 wrote: »
    But my worry is how WWE book Bryan going forward. All these great feuds many people have mentioned, with Styles, Nakamura, Rollins, Lesnar etc... Knowing WWE, They probably put him in there with Corbin and Jinder and have them go over him too. Remember the way they booked Bryan when he returned from his neck injury. Made him look a nobody in the RR, had jobber Wyatt beat him on his first night back on RAW and had to throw him into a ladder match at WM for the IC Title cause they had nothing for him. Don't be surprised if he's booked that way again.

I may be stupid to have any faith, but I think they might actually realise how good a thing they have with Bryan, and not job him out to nobodies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

SlickRic wrote: »
    I may be stupid to have any faith, but I think they might actually realise how good a thing they have with Bryan, and not job him out to nobodies.

If they move him to Raw, and he has to compete with Reigns and Strowman, they will have him back into the same position they had him originally.

I'm hoping they leave him on Smackdown, and keep the likes of Nakamura, Owens, Zayn there, and bring over some other "wrestlers" like Rollins or Finn. Keep Smackdown as "the wrestling show", and have Raw be "the sports entertainment show"

The draft will be fascinating in that regard this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The draft will be fascinating in that regard this year.

The draft?!? Oh, you mean the #SuperStarShakeUp live on the longest running weekly episodic show on television WWE Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder will Bryan leave the GM post and go back to full time wrestler ???

Doesnt make sense for him to continue the GM post, could he get drafted to Raw in the shake up ?

so dream matches that may come through ??
    vs Nak
    vs Styles
    vs Balor
    vs Gargano
    will we finally get Kurt Angle vs Bryan

Now this is one I hadn't thought of but Jesus what potential that matchup has!

x43r0 wrote: »
    Now this is one I hadn't thought of but Jesus what potential that matchup has!

i must do some research to whether this has happened on the indies before

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I really think WWE handled this all wrong. They should not have announced he was cleared before Smackdown, and should have asked Daniel to keep stum as well.

Let him fire Owens & Zayn, as happened, let the beatdown commence, and Daniel fight back. The 2 lads scurry like rats, then Daniel picks up the mic and announces he has been cleared then. And that he is going to kick their ass.

Rather than getting a ratings pop for that one week on Smackdown, there was potential there to increase the buy rate for Mania. They even could have the 2 lads come back to the ring and do what they did afterwards, with the excuse that they wanted to put him back on the shelf - permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't WWE take credit for his popularity before in a video package showing how they tried to keep him down but it was really their plan to portray him as the ultimate underdog?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gerrybbadd wrote:
    Rather than getting a ratings pop for that one week on Smackdown, there was potential there to increase the buy rate for Mania.

Subscribers. Barely anybody buys wwe ppvs anymore. I don't see a huge increase in subscribers outside of Ronda. Even when Lesnar returned it didn't make the company any more popular imo

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I really think WWE handled this all wrong. They should not have announced he was cleared before Smackdown, and should have asked Daniel to keep stum as well.

Let him fire Owens & Zayn, as happened, let the beatdown commence, and Daniel fight back. The 2 lads scurry like rats, then Daniel picks up the mic and announces he has been cleared then. And that he is going to kick their ass.

Rather than getting a ratings pop for that one week on Smackdown, there was potential there to increase the buy rate for Mania. They even could have the 2 lads come back to the ring and do what they did afterwards, with the excuse that they wanted to put him back on the shelf - permanently.

yup. if the WWE actually cared, or if there was any pressure on them to create proper story arcs that people are invested in, and would ultimately pay to see payoffs for, then they would've done the above.

it's what the industry used to be built on.

all they have to care about now though, is ratings. and they don't give a shít about 'long term' stories, because they honestly don't have to. just give the people a reason to tune in for one night, hope to pop a rating, and move on with your life. if new people stay for a few weeks as a result, great. if not, it doesn't really matter.

it's bullsh and awful for viewers.

we just need to let go. the industry is not the same as it was. it doesn't have to be. Vince owns it all. there is guaranteed money from advertisers, and guaranteed money from subscribers to the Network, so they don't have to build anything in order to make a huge amount of money, in order to be able to pay the wrestlers according to how well they 'draw'. the money is already there.

there is no pressure. just hotshot the angle, and get to the next thing.

Bryan's return should've been the biggest surprise and crowd reaction the company has seen in a decade. it should've been built to a crescendo, as the crowd willed him to come back, to the point you were just begging for him to fight back. but no. they just threw it away, just because.

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if they don't announce Taker's return. I expect a tweet or something saying "Taker answers John Cena on Raw tonight"

there in the middle of a ratings negotiations so im guessing they need the ratings to bump up there ratings as much as they can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they don't announce Taker's return. I expect a tweet or something saying "Taker answers John Cena on Raw tonight"

I kind of like how they're building that one. Can see Taker not appearing until the go home Raw to have a brawl with Cena. Could even see them not announcing the match at all going into the weekend. It feels spontaneous and new.

If there's anyway to mask Taker's aging body that's the route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I kind of like how they're building that one. Can see Taker not appearing until the go home Raw to have a brawl with Cena. Could even see them not announcing the match at all going into the weekend. It feels spontaneous and new.

If there's anyway to mask Taker's aging body that's the route.

I wouldn't neccesarily mind it but do feel that route could leave us in the same situation again with regards the ambiguity with Takers retirement. If leaving his hat, coat and gloves in the ring last year did not do it then I think they should actually bill the bout as a retirement and make it so that people feel like they have to tune in for fear of missing Takers last ride and emotional send off.

I wouldn't neccesarily mind it but do feel that route could leave us in the same situation again with regards the ambiguity with Takers retirement. If leaving his hat, coat and gloves in the ring last year did not do it then I think they should actually bill the bout as a retirement and make it so that people feel like they have to tune in for fear of missing Takers last ride and emotional send off.

i think theyll use last years sendoff as the goodbye to the deadman character and we get american bad ass taker this year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

SlickRic wrote: »
    yup. if the WWE actually cared, or if there was any pressure on them to create proper story arcs that people are invested in, and would ultimately pay to see payoffs for, then they would've done the above.

it's what the industry used to be built on.

all they have to care about now though, is ratings. and they don't give a shít about 'long term' stories, because they honestly don't have to. just give the people a reason to tune in for one night, hope to pop a rating, and move on with your life. if new people stay for a few weeks as a result, great. if not, it doesn't really matter.

it's bullsh and awful for viewers.

we just need to let go. the industry is not the same as it was. it doesn't have to be. Vince owns it all. there is guaranteed money from advertisers, and guaranteed money from subscribers to the Network, so they don't have to build anything in order to make a huge amount of money, in order to be able to pay the wrestlers according to how well they 'draw'. the money is already there.

there is no pressure. just hotshot the angle, and get to the next thing.

Bryan's return should've been the biggest surprise and crowd reaction the company has seen in a decade. it should've been built to a crescendo, as the crowd willed him to come back, to the point you were just begging for him to fight back. but no. they just threw it away, just because.

Could you imagine if they even kept the whole Bryan return till the SD before WM. Have KO/Sami beat down and as they walk up the ramp have Bryan announce he will see them at WM or even if they had them beat down Shane then he announces the tag match with Bryan, The crowd would be electric

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I agree I would've much rathered a surprise, but WWE decided it's better to make sure you tune into Smackdown. Worked on me anyway! Bryan's return got 2.9M viewers, the last time SD did a better number was the Superstar Shakeup April last year (3.1M) and that got TV buildup.
    Could you imagine if they even kept the whole Bryan return till the SD before WM. Have KO/Sami beat down and as they walk up the ramp have Bryan announce he will see them at WM or even if they had them beat down Shane then he announces the tag match with Bryan, The crowd would be electric

It'd be cool but WWE need at least a few weeks to build and get the word out on his return (I personally think they should've waited until the night after WM - in a 14 match card he deserves to be more prominent). Doing it Mania week, the advertising is at it's hardest, banners and posters etc have already shipped across the country and put up, ya can't hope to keep that stuff secret or change everything that late towards mania!

I guess the most important question is how can this make Roman look strong?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I guess the most important question is how can this make Roman look strong?

ha ha! It's sad that WWE are playing the short-term game for the long haul; instead of playing the long game.

Short-term: Constantly forcing Reigns down our throats, Roman now has a weekly uphill battle of being cheered. WWE constantly have to work full pelt to make a guy (who fans want to boo) get cheered.

Long-term: Why not stop forcing it, accept the heel status, work as a bad guy for a year or two, and naturally evolve into a top unified-cheered babyface? Like Austin. Like Rock. Like Cena.

It sucks because however much Roman improves, it's still a contentious fight between WWE and the fans. It's selling Roman short. He's got another decade or so in WWE, it sucks they're not willing to "give up" 1-2 years for a greater 8-9 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

jaykhunter wrote: »
    ha ha! It's sad that WWE are playing the short-term game for the long haul; instead of playing the long game.

Short-term: Constantly forcing Reigns down our throats, Roman now has a weekly uphill battle of being cheered. WWE constantly have to work full pelt to make a guy (who fans want to boo) get cheered.

Long-term: Why not stop forcing it, accept the heel status, work as a bad guy for a year or two, and naturally evolve into a top unified-cheered babyface? Like Austin. Like Rock. Like Cena.

It sucks because however much Roman improves, it's still a contentious fight between WWE and the fans. It's selling Roman short. He's got another decade or so in WWE, it sucks they're not willing to "give up" 1-2 years for a greater 8-9 years.

Because that would take Vince admitting he was wrong.

888.jpg

Advertisement