Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE The Greatest Royal Rumble Network Special Thread (Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Paul Heyman also not going, with the situation seemingly linked to his being a Jew. :/

I’m guessing they’ll use this to underline his importance to Brock when he drops the title to Roman on Friday.

A “But if Heyman was in his corner advising him....” sort of thing they’ll be churning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Paul Heyman also not going, with the situation seemingly linked to his being a Jew. :/

I'm disliking this whole event more and more to be honest. I mean WWE build themselves as an inclusive company, yet they are willing to run a show in a country that at best is living in the 18th Century and no women are on the show but it appears that no jews will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

martyos121 wrote: »
    I’m guessing they’ll use this to underline his importance to Brock when he drops the title to Roman on Friday.

A “But if Heyman was in his corner advising him....” sort of thing they’ll be churning out.

I can't see them wanting to shine a light, and possibly invite questions of why, certain people weren't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wonder what the morale is like amongst the roster over this. This is a sell-out show in more ways than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,451 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder what would Vince do if a talent said they didn’t want to go there due to the human rights issues in the Country.

• Advertisement

Wonder what the morale is like amongst the roster over this. This is a sell-out show in more ways than one.

I'd say it's been better. Also are WWE running house shows this weekend ? I'm not sure how the women superstars will feel being on most of the matches, not because of their talent but because the vast majority of the male roster is in Saudi Arabia ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Imagine if Raw on Monday was full of you sold out chants

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Found a somewhat reasonable explanation to this on Squared Circle.
    Jews aren't technically forbidden, but given the Middle East's history with Israel, there's a lot of restrictions. For instance, it's forbidden to travel to Saudi Arabia with an Israeli stamp on your passport, and Saudi Air Control almost never allows planes flying to Israel to cross over their airspace. Non-Israeli Jews are supposedly allowed in to live and work, though non-Muslim religious services (at least Jewish and Christian) are technically forbidden in the country. Wikipedia indicates Jewish and Christian services can take place in the privacy of their homes, without Muslims present.

I wonder what would Vince do if a talent said they didn’t want to go there due to the human rights issues in the Country.

At best guess suspended with pay?

Would Vince fire someone for standing up (and not going due to the human rights that are rampant in the KSA) and not towing the line?

Women not wrestling at the event this Friday:

"I understand that people are questioning it, but you have to understand that every culture is different and just because you don't agree with a certain aspect of it, it doesn't mean it's not a relevant culture. You can't dictate to a country or a religion about how they handle things but, having said that, WWE is at the forefront of a women's evolution in the world and what you can't do is affect change anywhere by staying away from it."

Women eventually wrestling in Saudi Arabia:

"While, right now, women are not competing in the event, we have had discussions about that and we believe and hope that, in the next few years they will be. That is a significant cultural shift in Saudi Arabia.

"The country is in the middle of a shift in how it is dealing with that – the position is changing, and rights are changing, as are the way women are handled and treated in society. We think that's a great thing and we're excited to be at the forefront of that change."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/wwe-mma-wrestling/wwe-greatest-royal-rumble-saudi-arabia-triple-h-interview-defends-no-women-wrestlers-a8319446.html

Yes, you can dictate to a culture that is backwards in even the basic freedoms of half of the world's population Trips.

Yeah at the forefront alright. There was female empowerment around before Stephanie saw it as a good PR stunt trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,451 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Guessing Bill won’t be a surprise then.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    At best guess suspended with pay?

Would Vince fire someone for standing up (and not going due to the human rights that are rampant in the KSA) and not towing the line?

Well, it wouldn't be a good look PR wise for the WWE to do it.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/wwe-mma-wrestling/wwe-greatest-royal-rumble-saudi-arabia-triple-h-interview-defends-no-women-wrestlers-a8319446.html

Yes, you can dictate to a culture that is backwards in even the basic freedoms of half of the world's population Trips.

Yeah at the forefront alright. There was female empowerment around before Stephanie saw it as a good PR stunt trips.

I had to laugh when I read this from Hunter
    WWE is at the forefront of a women's evolution in the world
    almost certain it was happening well before WWE copped onto it.

Well, it wouldn't be a good look PR wise for the WWE to do it.

Unfortunately no one will stand up and say they ain't going. Be great though if someone did tell Vince and Management NO!, but unfortunately bills and families dictate people's course of action over morals.

And the show will go on and everyone will be hand in hand singing Kumbayah..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Imagine if Raw on Monday was full of you sold out chants

They're in Montreal next week too and they're usually a smarky bunch so the BIG DAWG will get a nice reception as the new champ.

I can hear Cole already "We're in Bizarro world!".

It looks like there are no main roster events this weekend. So, at least the women get a weekend off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,910 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With it being controversial, I wonder why non contracted guys and part timers are going. Like Jericho, Taker and others.

One good thing anyway is that the winner for this match isn't as predictable as the other Rumble. And I wonder if the guys from the other matches will be taking part since they may need the numbers.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With it being controversial, I wonder why non contracted guys and part timers are going. Like Jericho, Taker and others.

One good thing anyway is that the winner for this match isn't as predictable as the other Rumble. And I wonder if the guys from the other matches will be taking part since they may need the numbers.

Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CastorTroy wrote:
    One good thing anyway is that the winner for this match isn't as predictable as the other Rumble

Probably because it really does not matter beyond this week. They should give the winner a title shot at Backlash as an excuse to make it matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will the long haired guy and his mom be in the front row again ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Wrestling has always been an incredibly sleazy business, can't understand why people are getting worked up with them taking the Saudi money.

Do people get so worked with the amount of filthy money that is in soccer?:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will the long haired guy and his mom be in the front row again ??

Unless he's a Saudi royal, he won't be getting a floor seat :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I find it funny that one of the feuds leading into this show in Saudi (with all their women issues) is smackdown
    's tag title match where The Usos have only ever gotten one over the Bludgeon Brothers when Naomi was involved. I guess they won't mention her absence from ringside cos she isn't usually there but I feel like thats the way they would have gone with this otherwise with her recent involvement with them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Saw there was a 5 man gauntlet match on 205 Live last night with the winner going on to face Cedric Alexander at the GRR. Kinda figured Drew Gulak wasn't gonna be winning on account of his ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No doubt on paper this event is ****ing amazing but have a feeling it could be a farce of a thing

50 man rumble match could get boring and anti climatic. It's impossible to pick a winner but have a feeling it will be Cena entering after beating Triple H

Anyway it will be laugh and the crowd could be loud. After all it's a huge mania callibre stadium

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Floor seat VIPs have lovely armchairs

DbpQUrlW0AAY-ev.jpg:large

Theses seats make Trump Plaza (from WM IV and V) look like a bingo hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I’m struggling to work up enthusiasm for this given how long it’s going to be and how soon it is after a marathon Mania. Might just skip through it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The VIP seats at ringside are leather armchairs.

• Advertisement

Pulled from a Deadpsin article on WWE's trip to the Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia... This is what Vince & Co are getting into bed with..

Full article
    https://deadspin.com/what-is-wwe-doing-in-saudi-arabia-1825506325?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow&__twitter_impression=true
    Male guardianship remains firmly entrenched, keeping women at the mercy of their spouses or male relatives who have the final say on whether they are allowed to travel, study abroad, or access health care. The ability to attend football matches in a handful of stadiums does not change the fact that the Saudi government monitors women using electronic systems that track cross-border movements, and has forcibly returned women who fled their relatives.

Advertisement