Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE The Greatest Royal Rumble Network Special Thread (Spoilers)

Options
  • 19-03-2018 7:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭

20180319_WWE_GRR--f7a3ee1a987caa9781da09ad9776b412.jpg

RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA and STAMFORD, Conn. — Following an agreement between His Excellency Turki Al Sheikh and WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia invites the world to the King Abdullah Sports City Stadium in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, on Friday, April 27, at 7 p.m. AST to celebrate the Greatest Royal Rumble event in WWE history. Tickets will be available Saturday, March 31, and this historic event will feature seven championship matches, including the WWE Championship, Universal Championship, Intercontinental Championship, United States Championship, Raw Tag Team Championship, SmackDown Tag Team Championship and Cruiserweight Championship.

In addition to the seven championship matches, the event will also include the first-ever 50-Man Greatest Royal Rumble Match.

Fans will get to see WWE Superstars John Cena, Triple H, Roman Reigns, AJ Styles, Braun Strowman, The New Day, Randy Orton, Bray Wyatt and Shinsuke Nakamura, among others. Additional ticket details and broadcast information will be available in the coming weeks.

This seems to be a Network special so can be treated, presumably, like a PPV. 7 title matches and a 50 man Rumble. No woman, I'm guessing though.

You've got to imagine there's going to be a lot of surprises to fill out that Rumble match.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

No ladies?

Not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

7 title matches and a 50 man rumble? Will be watching but what a clusterfeck this show will be. Guys pulling double duty all over the place.
    DM_7 wrote: »
    No ladies?

Not cool.

Bet they've been told not to say a word on Twitter too. Can't have any negative publicity for this with the money involved.

That said, maybe they're glad they don't have to do all that travelling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Honestly, if they want to go there and make money they are right to. It is not their job to fix human rights/equality issues. But it should not be on the Network imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Honestly, if they want to go there and make money they are right to. It is not their job to fix human rights/equality issues. But it should not be on the Network imo.

Yep much more supposedly noble people have taken Saudi Arabia money and looked the other way, not sure why the WWE should be any different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

While I'd agree, that and the Moolah debacle makes the back-patting they give themselves for the women's revolution a tad hypocritical...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Should bring back Muhammad Hassan for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

matches announced for the card

-50 Man Royal Rumble
    -John Cena vs Triple H
    -Samoa Joe vs The Miz vs Finn Balor vs Seth Rollins in a Ladder Match for the IC Title
    -The Hardy Boyz vs The Bar

thats shaping up to be a very good event already especially bottom 2 matches

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sky88 wrote: »
    matches announced for the card

-50 Man Royal Rumble
    -John Cena vs Triple H
    -Samoa Joe vs The Miz vs Finn Balor vs Seth Rollins in a Ladder Match for the IC Title
    -The Hardy Boyz vs The Bar

thats shaping up to be a very good event already especially bottom 2 matches

yeah not bad and id kill to have that sort of card for an Irish live event

I wonder will it be on the Network and have storyline progression ??. Whats the time difference between here and Saudi Arabia ??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah not bad and id kill to have that sort of card for an Irish live event

I wonder will it be on the Network and have storyline progression ??. Whats the time difference between here and Saudi Arabia ??

its been announced for the network there 2 hours ahead so this might be on at a good time for us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wonder what if anything (bar prestige) the winner of the 50man rumble will get?

• Advertisement

Title shot for summerslam maybe

Prob be crowned the first WWE Saudi Arabian champion ?

the title can be only defended at future Saudi shows ??

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So I guess Jeff isn't going to get in trouble for his drink driving incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So I guess Jeff isn't going to get in trouble for his drink driving incident.

He was on Raw last week in the Ultimate Deletion package. I know that was pre-recorded but they could’ve pulled it if they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

sky88 wrote: »
    its been announced for the network there 2 hours ahead so this might be on at a good time for us

7pm local time, so 5pm here in Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

More importantly, Joe's back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

if 7pm, then that means 3pm our time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

WWE's biggest sausage fest! :p

WWE are going to a foreign state that has much stricter segregation and are abiding by it's rules. I'm sure they're not happy about being forced to leave some performers behind (and Steph being legit banned from ringside :pac:) but if they want to perform there, that's on them as a company. I'm happy they're putting it on the network; people can refuse to watch and tell WWE too. It does look bad with the Women's Evolution and backtracking of Moolah to announce you're jumping into bed with a state with major sexual discrimination.

All that said, the geopolitical scope of this is bigger than WWE. Maybe in 3 tours' time there'll have been headway and can have women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

I think you hit the nail on head there Jayk; go a few times and then move women into the events. Cant run before walking here. Shame though, but I guess Vinnie has never really been one for female empowerment.

Saying that, the smell of dollars must have been really strong to get this one over the line at all. 50 men? So is it every 90 seconds or every 60?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

xpletiv wrote: »
    Saying that, the smell of dollars must have been really strong to get this one over the line at all. 50 men? So is it every 90 seconds or every 60?

I imagine you’d have to go 60 seconds to keep the match moving alone.

• Advertisement

As long as the winner doesn't enter at number 50 leading to him being reported as having outlasted 49 other men. Always annoys me when they say something like that for anyone not in early.

is this a stab at the Saudi market like the Indian experiment of last year ??

Would wwe ever make a serious stab at the Chinese and Russian market ??

Where did Sasha and Alexa have their match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Where did Sasha and Alexa have their match?

Abu Dhabi. They had to cover up in different ring gear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

There is surely to be some title change here, just so "Anything can happen in WWE"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The most impressive part of this is the fact that Jeff Hardy can still get a visa

Bryan is going to start number 1 and go all the way then roman eliminates him to win

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/980793237521739778?s=19

Are they really going to start announcing who's taking part? Think it would be quicker announcing those not taking part

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

In addition to the first-ever 50-Man Greatest Royal Rumble Match, the Greatest Royal Rumble event will feature John Cena vs. Triple H as well as seven championship matches, including a Raw Tag Team Championship Match: The Hardy Boyz vs. Sheamus & Cesaro, and an Intercontinental Championship Ladder Match: Seth Rollins vs. Finn Bálor vs. The Miz vs. Samoa Joe.

Announced on wwe.com.

Set to be a great card but so close after Mania kinda takes away from it.

Advertisement