Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live TV games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I made a very valid point. The GAA is so badly administered its gone past a joke.

Tomorrows dead rubbers are on terrestrial, todays games which held genuine interest behind a paywall.

What a great way to kill interest. And all entirely predictable.

RTE would prefer to spill their load over the Munster Hurling championship, maybe throw a Leinster game in there too, earlier in the year. And when they do show football, all they do is b!tch and moan about it. If it wasn't for Sky and the BBC, none of the earlier provincial games would be shown. Its a fair trade off to allow them some high profile games later on, not to mention that their coverage is light years ahead of RTE (Dick Clerkin aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Even less chance of influence with them. They do whatever Croker tells them.
    The suits in Croke Park dangle cash and tickets on front of these guys and they toe the line.
    And there you have your answer. Money talks, unfortunately. And he who pays the piper calls the tune. Witness Sky's stranglehold on the PL, and the way the games are cherrypicked and moved for TV coverage. You're lucky the GAA held out as long as it did.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

RTE would prefer to spill their load over the Munster Hurling championship, maybe throw a Leinster game in there too, earlier in the year. And when they do show football, all they do is b!tch and moan about it. If it wasn't for Sky and the BBC, none of the earlier provincial games would be shown. Its a fair trade off to allow them some high profile games later on, not to mention that their coverage is light years ahead of RTE (Dick Clerkin aside)

Everyone in Ireland has RTE. How many have Sky Sports?

Few are interested in the early rounds, particulary 1 sided trouncings. They could be shown on TG4. They are interested in games like today. Instead todays games were watched by a relatively small number and tomorrows terrestrial games are either a nothing game or a game where 1 team made 15 changes.

Great way to advertise the sport! And they wonder why interest is waning!

The modern GAA admins are clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

blueser wrote: »
    And there you have your answer. Money talks, unfortunately. And he who pays the piper calls the tune. Witness Sky's stranglehold on the PL, and the way the games are cherrypicked and moved for TV coverage. You're lucky the GAA held out as long as it did.

No one forced GAA to make what has turned out to be not a great deal.

And there is a lot of merit in the argument that having big games like the one in Castlebar tonight behind paywall is extraordinarily bad marketing.

This is the time of the year GAA ought to be hyping the SFC and SHC to the nines, but instead are running off semi finals and group games like it was Junior C.

On top of that they have surrendered the biggest month in the GAA year to other sports. How stupid is that? Would be like the NFL moving Super Bowl.

for an organisation that pays so much lip service to tradition and promoting Irish culture, it has a funny way of going about it at top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I made a very valid point. The GAA is so badly administered its gone past a joke.

Tomorrows dead rubbers are on terrestrial, todays games which held genuine interest behind a paywall.

What a great way to kill interest. And all entirely predictable.

I dont agree with the Sky deal but its done and they had the Saturday games, thats the way it worked out. Its not as if the GAA decided to give them the one game this weekend that was going to attract interest. Honestly you havent a clue what you're talking about

• Advertisement

I dont agree with the Sky deal but its done and they had the Saturday games, thats the way it worked out. Its not as if the GAA decided to give them the one game this weekend that was going to attract interest. Honestly you havent a clue what you're talking about

I have more of a clue than you. We all know the GAA can't control what games go behind the paywall.

That is exactly the point I am making. Do you even understand that.

They've put themselves in a position where they have no control what game gets shown on terrestrial. And this weekend, a game of interest to most people is out of their reach, while a nothing game is shown free to air.

You don't understand how to increase interest, I get that.

This weekend has been a disaster from a promotional point of view for Sam Maguire. Its killing interest except to the small minority who have sky sports.

Do you honestly think young kids deciding which sport to follow will be excited by tomorrows nothing game played between two B teams?

Everyone in Ireland has RTE. How many have Sky Sports?

Few are interested in the early rounds, particulary 1 sided trouncings. They could be shown on TG4. They are interested in games like today. Instead todays games were watched by a relatively small number and tomorrows terrestrial games are either a nothing game or a game where 1 team made 15 changes.

Great way to advertise the sport! And they wonder why interest is waning!

The modern GAA admins are clueless.

Since when do few people have an interest in the early rounds? Genuine supporters do and its often when some of the best games are played, outside of AI semis and finals. And like it or not, BBC and Sky are the only ones making an effort to show these games. Eir and TG4 during the winter

It also gives exposure to weaker teams that does way more to promote the game rather than guaranteeing the national broadcaster can show all of the top games to fair weather armchair fans. And do nothing but slag off the game while doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Even less chance of influence with them. They do whatever Croker tells them.
    The suits in Croke Park dangle cash and tickets on front of these guys and they toe the line.
    I have more of a clue than you. We all know the GAA can't control what games go behind the paywall.

That is exactly the point I am making. Do you even understand that.

They've put themselves in a position where they have no control what game gets shown on terrestrial. And this weekend, a game of interest to most people is out of their reach, while a nothing game is shown free to air.

You don't understand how to increase interest, I get that.

This weekend has been a disaster from a promotional point of view for Sam Maguire. Its killing interest except to the small minority who have sky sports.

Do you honestly think young kids deciding which sport to follow will be excited by tomorrows nothing game played between two B teams?

Hey i dont agree with the Sky deal but the schedule was decided a while back, before the Super 8 teams were even known you make it sound like GAA just handed Sky the rights to the big game this weekend

Hey i dont agree with the Sky deal but the schedule was decided a while back, before the Super 8 teams were even known you make it sound like GAA just handed Sky the rights to the big game this weekend

Nope I know full well that Sky usually get the saturday evening games which by coincidence were some of the games of the summer. Mayo games against Down, Galway and Donegal would have huge interest for GAA supporters but were out of reach for many if not most.
    Other games like Cavan v Monaghan or Kk v Dublin in hurling also pushed out of reach.

There is a risk when you put a lot of games behind a paywall, you lose some very good games and you've no control over what is on terrestrial. This weekend has ended up a fiasco because of that. Rte left with a game between two B teams, while Sky (accidently) got a game of more interest.

And why we need to pay a UK corporation to watch our national sport I will never understand. Its one more example of the GAA being bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Nope I know full well that Sky usually get the saturday evening games which by coincidence were some of the games of the summer. Mayo games against Down, Galway and Donegal would have huge interest for GAA supporters but were out of reach for many if not most.
    Other games like Cavan v Monaghan or Kk v Dublin in hurling also pushed out of reach.

There is a risk when you put a lot of games behind a paywall, you lose some very good games and you've no control over what is on terrestrial. This weekend has ended up a fiasco because of that. Rte left with a game between two B teams, while Sky (accidently) got a game of more interest.

And why we need to pay a UK corporation to watch our national sport I will never understand. Its one more example of the GAA being bought.

Something to do with Publican subscriptions being renewed during the Premier League off season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

RTÉ would be better off just making a soundcard of Dessie Dolan rather than trekking him around the country. "he'll be very dissapointed <insert what the player has just done>, is there no production meeting before games he is co-commentating on? How does he still get away with repeating himself game after game?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I couldn't find the Sunday game thread so wanted to rant somewhere. Why do rte have to string just 4 matches out across 2 hours? 2 of those were meaningless and merited very little analysis. Just to get a bit of a preview for the semi finals we've to wait for 2 hours. A joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I couldn't find the Sunday game thread so wanted to rant somewhere. Why do rte have to string just 4 matches out across 2 hours? 2 of those were meaningless and merited very little analysis. Just to get a bit of a preview for the semi finals we've to wait for 2 hours. A joke..

Did you actually watch it ?

They spent about 4 minutes analysing the two meaningless games.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Did you actually watch it ?

They spent about 4 minutes analysing the two meaningless games.

Add in the actual footage and the ad break before each of the matches and it adds up to about half an hour they could've cut

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Add in the actual footage and the ad break before each of the matches and it adds up to about half an hour they could've cut

They do this and someone else would be ranting about 'it was a super 8 game, does it not deserve at least 5 or 10 minutes?'

I don't really see the issue - Watford v Bournemouth gets a slot at the end of MOTD in May even when it's mid-table irrelevance, Bills v Jets touchdowns will get shown on Redzone even when both are lolplaces behind the Patriots, Italy v Scotland will be shown live on GW5 of the 6N even when it's a cripple fight.
    Somebody somewhere is always interested - and you can never have too much sport shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

Since when do few people have an interest in the early rounds? Genuine supporters do and its often when some of the best games are played, outside of AI semis and finals. And like it or not, BBC and Sky are the only ones making an effort to show these games. Eir and TG4 during the winter

It also gives exposure to weaker teams that does way more to promote the game rather than guaranteeing the national broadcaster can show all of the top games to fair weather armchair fans. And do nothing but slag off the game while doing so

I'd say since the qualifiers started there has been more Mayo qualifier games on Sky than there ever has been on RTE.

For all the talk of people missing out the SKY deal has not dented the passion for Mayo Football all that much. Like the talk of Premier League back in the 90s. The fans still found a way to follow.

RTE has been a very mediocre broadcaster as regards Football for a long time. It's one of the world's great games. You wouldn't know it if you followed RTE. You might appreciate whats going on more if you watch it on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

How many football games have rte shown before super 8’s?

I just remember most Sunday’s was hurling coverage.

Rte Sunday game is awful. I’ve not watched it in a while but when I did it was just highlights of scores. Nothing else

Trampas wrote: »
    How many football games have rte shown before super 8’s?

I just remember most Sunday’s was hurling coverage.

Rte Sunday game is awful. I’ve not watched it in a while but when I did it was just highlights of scores. Nothing else

Donegal v Tyrone and all four provincial finals.

Donegal v Tyrone and all four provincial finals.

So have fk all interest until the late stages. While sky does show games.

I’m open to correction but do rte have a say over what games bbc can show live. Something like they can only show a game that rte is showing.

If true you can be sure the rte panel won’t mention that but attack sky.

Sky are no angels but sky are just showing more games on tv as rte allocation hasn’t changed. Rte probably only complaining that they couldn’t sell ads for a higher rate if showing Mayo’s game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Trampas wrote: »
    So have fk all interest until the late stages. While sky does show games.

I’m open to correction but do rte have a say over what games bbc can show live. Something like they can only show a game that rte is showing.

If true you can be sure the rte panel won’t mention that but attack sky.

Sky are no angels but sky are just showing more games on tv as rte allocation hasn’t changed. Rte probably only complaining that they couldn’t sell ads for a higher rate if showing Mayo’s game

Any criticism of RTE should be tempered by the fact that they are limited in how many games they can show (30 games I think).

And there is little doubt that at the start of the championship the hurling competition has plenty of heavyweight contests whilst at the same time the football has a lot of unattractive potential mismatches.

So ultimately it comes down to which hurling game do you think they should have dropped and which football match should they have shown instead? And crucially could that decision be justified in advance.

• Advertisement

Any criticism of RTE should be tempered by the fact that they are limited in how many games they can show (30 games I think).

And there is little doubt that at the start of the championship the hurling competition has plenty of heavyweight contests whilst at the same time the football has a lot of unattractive potential mismatches.

So ultimately it comes down to which hurling game do you think they should have dropped and which football match should they have shown instead? And crucially could that decision be justified in advance.

They showed nine out of ten Munster hurling games and would have shown all of them if two weren't throwing in at the same time on the final day. Now I like a bit of hurling, but thats an insanely disproportionate amount of games to show from one province in one code.

Whereas in the football all counties were represented in the early stages, and apart from games that were obviously going to be turkey shoots like Dublin in any game in Leinster or say, Tyrone v Antrim, could have shown any of the games and expected a reasonably entertaining contest. I'll avoid cherry picking the ones that turned out to be good as RTE is not Nostradamus

If RTE are only interested in showing five teams in one code, then let them. But tender the football rights separately then, and let someone give it the coverage it deserves. This year that was Sky and the BBC, so its unreasonable for Sky to let RTE step in and show all of the later stage games

Everyone is limited but it’s what they choose. Rte choose to show hurling over any football and now they’re complaining about not getting to show the a football game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

They should sell them as separate packages, different sports

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Grats

Funny listening to Des Cahill moaning on about Sky after the crap he presided over last Sunday night week when he allowed Cusack and McGrath rant on.

And that is also based on TV contract signed before you had any round robin hurling or super 8 in football.

So the contract does not reflect the increased number of games

The current contract expires at the end on 2021. It was agreed in December 2016 a month before the football changes were ratified and a number of months before the hurling changes were made.

They showed nine out of ten Munster hurling games and would have shown all of them if two weren't throwing in at the same time on the final day. Now I like a bit of hurling, but thats an insanely disproportionate amount of games to show from one province in one code.

Whereas in the football all counties were represented in the early stages, and apart from games that were obviously going to be turkey shoots like Dublin in any game in Leinster or say, Tyrone v Antrim, could have shown any of the games and expected a reasonably entertaining contest. I'll avoid cherry picking the ones that turned out to be good as RTE is not Nostradamus

If RTE are only interested in showing five teams in one code, then let them. But tender the football rights separately then, and let someone give it the coverage it deserves. This year that was Sky and the BBC, so its unreasonable for Sky to let RTE step in and show all of the later stage games

RTE and BBC are free to air. I'd have no trouble with BBC NI showing any of the Super 8 games because they would still be free to air and available to everyone, particularly for example a game involving a Northern team.

Whatever millions the GAA are getting from the Sky deal (and typically there is no transparency about it) is not worth it. Its the ordinary GAA follower who is paying the money, its not as if its coming out of Sky or the Murdoch's backpocket (not sure if they still involved with Sky). Its ordinary GAA supporters paying a UK corporate to watch our national sport.

The GAA need to go away and look at their business model. The Sky deal was supposed to promote and spread the game and its doing exactly the reverse, making it more inaccessible to the ordinary Joe Soap. The majority of people saw a sham game in Omagh between two teams who as someone said looked like they were opening a clubhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Cork Waterford in the Munster Hurling was on Sky, not RTE, so not quite the full house.
    But I get your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Sky is supposed to be promoting the game in the UK and get miserable viewing figures. In their UK promos they make no mention of the GAA. Put the games back on TV3 or give them to TG4.

TG4 probably have the most experience at this stage, and their coverage is usually top notch. They show practically every other grade and competition so it seems unfair they are shut out when it comes to the championship. Greed by the GAA I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

RTÉ also put Cork v Roscommon on the player while broadcasting Tyrone v Dublin on two different channels.

Serving their own agenda as usual.

Nobody complaining about the old people in nursing homes etc that couldn’t watch Cork v Roscommon

Advertisement