Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2018 - Day 4

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Motivator wrote: »
    What kind of questions? What exactly are you implying?

He is great at getting horses ready for the big days. He had 10 fallers over the four days, so he obviously is lacking something in the training department regarding jumping.

I am not saying implying anything underhanded. Just stating his horses do seem to fall more than the others but its a training problem nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

kiers47 wrote: »
    Slattsy wrote: »
    If Our Duke wins this I'm giving up racing and buying a wind farm in Tipperary.

Haha if he wins from how he has jumped so far you'll be going well. Jumping stink

Don't buy one in Clare Slattsy. Hard to get planning there. I got caught in meetings all day and that's the best luck I had all day. Would have lost my boll icks. Still had time to lose 70 quid on last two rubbish races and my earlier doubles. Up about 100 for the week after about 14 losers and just one winner, the story teller. Had enough on him. Well done to anyone coming out the other side.

Enjoyable banter lads and ladies. Cheers for a bit of craic. Missed not drinking a few pints as i do every Friday, but life can get in the way sometimes.

I must check into the racing thread more often instead of just every march. Good knowledgeable, sensible people in here.

Only thing that was missing this year was that "professional" gambler fellow stig ot something. He generates some craic/abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

piplip87 wrote: »
    Questions have to be asked of Mullins though. A fantastic trainer but he had some amount of fallers over the 4 days.
    piplip87 wrote: »
    He is great at getting horses ready for the big days. He had 10 fallers over the four days, so he obviously is lacking something in the training department regarding jumping.

I am not saying implying anything underhanded. Just stating his horses do seem to fall more than the others but its a training problem nothing else.

Have a lie down there for yourself like a good lad, its been a long week for us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Phil Smith gonna push Annibale Fly up to 169, Might Bite to 172 and Native River to 175. He says he is using Road To Respect as a baseline on 168. Seems a bit excessive.

10lb rise for Annibale Fly as much as I think the winner and second are probably improved past Sizing John there isn't a hope in hell I could be having Annibale Fly on the same mark as Sizing John.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Phil Smith gonna push Annibale Fly up to 169, Might Bite to 172 and Native River to 175. He says he is using Road To Respect as a baseline on 168. Seems a bit excessive.

10lb rise for Annibale Fly as much as I think the winner and second are probably improved past Sizing John there isn't a hope in hell I could be having Annibale Fly on the same mark as Sizing John.

Arguably a pound or two excessive but the horse did run some race today, looked likely winner around 3 out I thought, if only for a few strides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

dave81 wrote: »

Only thing that was missing this year was that "professional" gambler fellow stig ot something. He generates some craic/abuse.

sting that is, quite a few characters missing from previous years.

average week, up a small amount mainly thanks to slattsy yesterday, today wasn't good at all.
    my biggest bets were samcro, altior and the douvan place lay
    my biggest loss was on uds
    all other bets were much smaller, lots of freebets with betway/365 helped a lot though.

thanks to all who put up posts here, don't have time to follow racing on a regular basis here myself so a lot of it is guesswork for me these days.

They were rated only a pound apart as novices, and as we all know second season chasers are open to massive progression, its why they have such a great record in Gold Cups. Obviously you would have an asterix beside it until he confirms it, but I wouldnt dismiss it just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

danganabu wrote: »
    They were rated only a pound apart as novices, and as we all know second season chasers are open to massive progression, its why they have such a great record in Gold Cups. Obviously you would have an asterix beside it until he confirms it, but I wouldnt dismiss it just yet.

I agree with what your saying for the most part. There seems to be this issue though that the british handicappers handicap horses on potential rather than what they actually achieve.

He very well may be a 169/170 horse in time but I don't think you can stick him up to that from a third in the gold cup on a line through the 4th. Maybe I am being over critical. We will see in time I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

mailburner wrote: »
    average week, up a small amount mainly thanks to slattsy yesterday, today wasn't good at all.
    my biggest bets were samcro, altior and the douvan place lay
    my biggest loss was on uds
    all other bets were much smaller, lots of freebets with betway/365 helped a lot though.

thanks to all who put up posts here, don't have time to follow racing on a regular basis here myself so a lot of it is guesswork for me these days.

Your 3 biggest bets all won but you still just had an "average" week?? You're doing too many bets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

beertons wrote: »
    Mine for the final day.

Apple's shakira
    Blue et rouge
    Santini
    Kiltullagh Vic
    Burning ambition
    Blow by blow
    Don't touch it.

5c ew sh.

Good luck all.

Did you really put up Apples after she was beaten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

They're all crying in the interviews on Channel 4.

I'm crying meself, but for a different reason :p
    redarmy wrote: »
    Countdown is not that bad

I had a tissue out and a tear coming from my eye, Rachel Riley rubout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Panrich

Talking of Phil Smith......

What is going to happen regarding handicapping of Irish horses going forward?

There will be a clamour to give them a few more pounds across the board from fed up English trainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

dave81 wrote: »

I must check into the racing thread more often instead of just every march. Good knowledgeable, sensible people in here.

Ya, Chelt is the best time for the frum I find, wish it was that busy all year but other days can be good fun.

Yes, I miss Sting60 as well. He started off on the forum like Nostradamus tipping 20/1 winners, then he became more known for his posting style. I wish he were still here.

However I did a bit of digging and found this from him from last year. :pac:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102957021&postcount=1810

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Your 3 biggest bets all won but you still just had an "average" week?? You're doing too many bets!!

I know this but I'd have been quite happy to finish a tenner up given I don't watch much horse racing anymore.
    The week that's in it I'm sure a lot will have done too many.

3/4 of my biggest bets won...uds the exception..not betting in hundreds.
    It's the one time of the year where I'll have a bet in most races...it is cheltenham after all and when you're out having a few beers it's more enjoyable to watch with a fiver/tenner invested

Panrich wrote: »
    Talking of Phil Smith......

What is going to happen regarding handicapping of Irish horses going forward?

There will be a clamour to give them a few more pounds across the board from fed up English trainers.

He already does.

There were 10 handicaps at the festival and the final tally was 5 v 5 which considering the spanking they got in the other 18 races I would say he has done a fine job.

Lumping weight on Irish horses will not change the fact that all the best juveniles, novices, mares and Bumper horses were on this side of the Irish sea and it wasnt even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Indeed very strange distribution of honours, but there is no denying that going forward british trained horses will be a long way off the mark next year, I doubt if they have ever been so comprehensively behind on the novice scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Triumph Hurdle - Apple’s Skakira 3/1
    County Handicap Hurdle - Flying Tiger 14/1 (ew)
    Albert Bartlett - Santini 11/2 (ew)
    Gold Cup - Minella Rocco 25/1 (ew) & Road to Respect 12/1 (ew)
    Martin Pipe - Deal D'estruval 14/1 (ew) & Blow by Blow (ew)
    Grand Annual (shortlist of 4 at the moment :D) - Don’t Touch It 7/1, Bouvreuil 20/1 (ew), Born Survivor 25/1 & Le Prezien 25/1

**Edit: Grand Annual bets narrowed down to Rock The World 20/1 & Bouvreil 12/1

Only day I ended up down over the 4 days was the day I travelled over to it :rolleyes: with just Blow by Blow bringing home the dough.

Bad choices on my picks in the Grand Annual :mad: Le Prezien omitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Only day I ended up down over the 4 days was the day I travelled over to it :rolleyes: with just Blow by Blow bringing home the dough.

Bad choices on my picks in the Grand Annual :mad: Le Prezien omitted.

i picked north hill harvey, was sure i was on a winner until he fell

Advertisement