Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match preview and thread: IRE v SCO (Sat 10th Mar 14:15) TV3, ITV & FR2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Zzippy wrote: »
    Tell me more...

bundee5.png?strip=all&quality=100&w=940&h=400&crop=1
    ... was waiting for that one.

Overall Aki was no more than average. Farrell MOM ... gimme a break. Who chose that?

Sexton was MOM by a country mile. Take him off the pitch and .......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Agree ... all sides try to find an edge.

Just sometimes Mr Referee can get in the way if he takes a dislike to certain practices.

As i said ..... just pointing out the flip side of the coin ..... and there usually is one.

I don't believe Wales went out there last week with the express intention of not competing at the breakdown. They just couldn't get anyway near it ..... got pinged a couple of times at the start as well.

A bit like Mr Barnes in Cardiff last year. YC for Sexton but no YC for Warburton for the same offence 3m from their own try lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Overall Aki was no more than average. Farrell MOM ... gimme a break. Who chose that?

Ah c'mon. Farrell was clear MOTM. Aside from a couple of poor reads in defence he was absolutely brilliant. He worked so hard from the very first whistle, put in a serious shift, his tackles and carries were far more physical than any other player on the pitch, I'd have been delighted if Henshaw put in a shift like that. Everyone in the stands with us at half time were in agreement he was MoTM at that point even, even the Welsh fans beside us!

Sexton was class, but never in a million years will a kicker who misses that many sitters get MoTM - not something I agree with, but that's the way it goes. I thought he was brilliant, yet when I came in to work on Monday the office colleagues were all in agreement he was piss-poor... the general public base a 10 off the tee it seems.

Anyway, I digress. You had a point at the time, and I do think between Aki and Farrell they did both conspire to give space and ground and that turned into tries at points. Ringrose is a better defender albeit a more slight man, I think so long as Sexton stays fit that midfield should keep the Scots out, just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Aside from the early penalty Aki was anything but average. Or put it this way, if that's average I'll take average every game... how did the Welsh midfield go, by the way?

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one [MOM]

All the comments I had from my mates back in Wales were of the type ..."Sexton class" etc.

Obviously wasn't 'piss-poor' .... every line break Ireland made came from Sexton either picking the right runner or timing the pass perfectly.

Put it this way if you said to me at half time .... you have won a fans special prize and can haul ashore one of the opposition I wouldn't have been plumping for Farrell !

Zzippy wrote: »
    Aside from the early penalty Aki was anything but average. Or put it this way, if that's average I'll take average every game... how did the Welsh midfield go, by the way?
    Just fine when they had the ball .....manufactured some nice tries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Jonny S was MOTM. He was the difference between the sides.
    Farrell did very well, but the MOTM swung his way because, and kudos indeed to him, he greatly exceeded general expectation. Henchie wouldnt have got it for the same performance for example.

Anyway back to Saturday ..... hopefully the weather holds up.

If the Scots get some possession it might get interesting. They play a good brand of rugby ..... might be a step too far for them though.

Saying that there is no pressure on them .... compared to the expectation for the first game. They may turn out to be pretty dangerous opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Jonny S was MOTM. He was the difference between the sides.
    Farrell did very well, but the MOTM swung his way because, and kudos indeed to him, he greatly exceeded general expectation. Henchie wouldnt have got it for the same performance for example.
    Yeah, that's how I saw it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

tunovers could be a big factor in this game,i'd be concerned about the ball carrying position going into the tackle, toner and young ryan have a low ball carrying position which could lead to the Scottish backrow getting in early for turnovers, whereas stander and furlong are able to keep a higher body position.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Both Sexton and Kearney were poor last day out. Hopefully they put in a better shift this time

Both Sexton and Kearney were poor last day out. Hopefully they put in a better shift this time
    That's completely wrong. Perhaps you should read what the Welsh fan posted about Sexton only a few posts up from yours. Can't get more unbiased than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sexton had a lower back issue that affected his kicking from the tee. Aside from that he was excellent. Picked good options constantly, switching the point of attack, putting guys into space and creating tries. His overall game was excellent and I’d agree with ponty that he was the real MOTM.

Kearney was good too. Put Earls away down the wing in the lead up to Leavys try and was there helping Earls take Williams (?) into touch in the build up to the Healy try. His DG attempt aside it was a good performance from him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

My kinda write up. Excellent work, PS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Brainfart of a decision to run into Wales players instead of kicking an easy penalty almost cost Ireland the game. Would have been too much for Wales to reel in, instead they went up the field, got a try and we were barely hanging in. Kicking game all day was also terrible. Didn't look to offer much in general play either bar one decent pass to Stockdale. He looked very poor overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

scotland 34 ireland 24 high scoring game that scotland to dominate the breakdown and to punish us wide.
    it wouldnt a bad result for 2 reasons

1. scotland are a good team and i expect the england victory to push them on further
    2. schmidt could do with the humility, his attitude lately to the media and supporters is bordering on the bizarre.

Brainfart of a decision to run into Wales players instead of kicking an easy penalty almost cost Ireland the game. Would have been too much for Wales to reel in, instead they went up the field, got a try and we were barely hanging in. Kicking game all day was also terrible. Didn't look to offer much in general play either bar one decent pass to Stockdale. He looked very poor overall.

He did yes. Beyond debate really. Everyone agrees with you on that. Brutal effort in every facet. Should have been given the shepherds after 20 minutes. They guy was a liability, and really hadnt a clue what he was doing. Just wasnt up to the pace of international rugby. My Granny would have made a better effort from the tee. Luckily our other 14 rescued him. Yes.

scotland 34 ireland 24 high scoring game that scotland to dominate the breakdown and to punish us wide.

1. scotland are a good team and i expect the england victory to push them on further
    2. schmidt could do with the humility, his attitude lately to the media and supporters is bordering on the bizarre.

Do I get this right - you think Ireland are going to lose this one ?
    Do you think people will be calling for Schmidt's head after it ?

Gwan then, tell me more about this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

:confused::confused:

I don't mean any disrespect, but what on Earth are you talking about?

• Advertisement

It never ceases to amaze me that people think their national team losing “wouldn’t be a bad result” because they don’t like X player or X coach. Baffling.

There’s no circumstance where losing is a good result unless you don’t really support the team.

Even in Deccies darkest days I’d never wish a loss upon the team, and that’s when we were losing more often than winning. Now we’re winning more often than not and somehow people want us to lose a game now?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's remarkable how people will find literally every possible angle of attack on Schmidt. Losing? Time to go. Picking a consistent squad? Too conservative. Picking some new starters? Something something too soon for that player. On a winning streak of good results? He's getting cocky.

At some point, an observer might have to accept that those people just have it out for Schmidt for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There is an imbalance in the force, I feel it.

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's remarkable how people will find literally every possible angle of attack on Schmidt. Losing? Time to go. Picking a consistent squad? Too conservative. Picking some new starters? Something something too soon for that player. On a winning streak of good results? He's getting cocky.

At some point, an observer might have to accept that those people just have it out for Schmidt for some reason.

He is not me? POS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

.ak wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me that people think their national team losing “wouldn’t be a bad result” because they don’t like X player or X coach. Baffling.

There’s no circumstance where losing is a good result unless you don’t really support the team.

Even in Deccies darkest days I’d never wish a loss upon the team, and that’s when we were losing more often than winning. Now we’re winning more often than not and somehow people want us to lose a game now?? :confused:

i posted if they lose it was not a big deal, i did not post losing is a good result.
    There is a difference, please from now on read all posts three times before posting. Thanks

Also if scotland win saturday remember they are a good team and the 2019 world cup group will be alot of tougher then a true irish rugby fan like yourself realises. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

i posted if they lose it was not a big deal, i did not post losing is a good result.
    There is a difference, please from now on read all posts three times before posting. Thanks

Also if scotland win saturday remember they are a good team and the 2019 world cup group will be alot of tougher then a true irish rugby fan like yourself realises. Thanks

You always make me laugh.

Thanks.
    Thanks.
    Thanks.

Did he post that the world cup group would not be tough? He posted that there is no circumstance where losing is a good result, there is a difference. Please from now on read all posts three times before posting. Thanks

it wouldnt a bad result

084.png

• Subscribers Posts: 41,855 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lads, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck..... It's a duck

We all know what count dookoo is at this stage, do we really need to be engaging him, and more importantly, quoting him???

I don't believe his posts are genuine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Lads, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck..... It's a duck

We all know what count dookoo is at this stage, do we really need to be engaging him, and more importantly, quoting him???

Yes, of course...if you don't agree with him that's fine, but enjoy the posts...they make me smile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

He reminds me of Farmer Michael on youtube.

https://youtu.be/LmSRGD1dRkI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Is that your attempt at a Kiwi accent syd? :p

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Is that your attempt at a Kiwi accent syd? :p

Haha!!

Too true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Should be an interesting game this. I feel that, once again, the backrow battle will be the key to this and also important is having a very high tempo, aggressive 1st 15-20 mins. I think rattling Scotland early with some pressure defence (if they have possession) or ticking up the points, even slowly (if we have possession) will do a lot to stifle any confidence they have.

Beating Ireland at home is very hard, but coming from behind to beat Ireland will seem almost impossible. So sowing that thought in Scotlands (and especially Russel's) head would be a good way to take complete control of the game. By pulling ahead by 10 or so points early on. We can then continue with our systematic choking of the opposition, tick up more points and potentially burying them as we have done with most games.

Of course defence is the worry, but I think it will improve. Scotland are probably good for a try or two, but I also feel we have the tools to open them up and score at least 3.

In the end I am confident of us winning this one, and probably comfortably enough. I think we will win by 15 or more, with a BP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Good morning sunshine. How's the knife business? Slow this week? Don't you mean the attitude of the media to Schmidt (the greatest coach Ireland has ever had) is bizarre?

My prediction is Ireland by 20.

Brainfart of a decision to run into Wales players instead of kicking an easy penalty

It wasn't that easy a penalty especially as he was struggling with his technique most likely due to injury.

On top of that, Murray said after the game that at half time Sexton told everyone to be awake for a tap and go as the Welsh forwards were turning their back after penalties and there might be an option.

Given those two pieces of context it's slightly less of a mistake. Still an error, but one that you can somewhat understand.

It wasn't that easy a penalty especially as he was struggling with his technique most likely due to injury.

On top of that, Murray said after the game that at half time Sexton told everyone to be awake for a tap and go as the Welsh forwards were turning their back after penalties and there might be an option.

Given those two pieces of context it's slightly less of a mistake. Still an error, but one that you can somewhat understand.
    The real problem for me is that TV3 were showing a replay and we didn't see what the Welsh were doing prior to Sexton taking the quick tap. Or whether there were any Irish players in a position to support him. Iirc, Murray was the only one who reacted quickly, but that's completely based on seeing so very little of the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Good morning sunshine. How's the knife business? Slow this week? Don't you mean the attitude of the media to Schmidt (the greatest coach Ireland has ever had) is bizarre?

My prediction is Ireland by 20.

I remember similar optimism for the 10th of March last year. Think he makes a good point out wide. Joe tends to be less focused on using the width in championship games unlike Autumn internationals perhaps less so this campaign. I still think we have the capability to score more than Scotland but we've conceded tries in all 3 games and scored just in 2. I do also believe had Sexton not missed his first few kicks against Wales it could have been a very different game. Sexton V Halfpenny for scores. The first try came out of a missed penalty which might have been a lucky mishap and set the game up for what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

There is a difference, please from now on read all posts three times before posting. Thanks.

This is nonsense. AK said the following (hint look at the quotation marks).

You said the following.
    it wouldnt a bad result

Maybe you need to read your own posts 3 times? Thanks.

EDIT: AK pretty much summed this up himself. Along with a very appropriate image!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Joe Schmidt has defended Ireland's crash, bang and wallop tactics in the midst of Warren Gatland's tongue and cheek remark claiming Ireland's attacking play is "so exciting".

Personally I have a number of stuff that I would like to discuss about that. Firstly Gatland should keep his mouth shut when it comes to attacking rugby with his "warrenball" tactics that he has insisted throughout his professional rugby coaching career. Secondly Schmidt cannot say that Ireland play attacking rugby. At least 3 of our tries against the Welsh was through grunt and brute force, where it took periods and periods of going through the phases where we stubbornly did not go wide on those occasions where there was a ton of space there. Eventually we barged our way to the try line.

This possession based game that Schmidt has implemented has come at a cost of our more attack minded players. He has alienated the likes of Matt Healy, Tiernan O'Halloran, Craig Gilroy, Stuart McCloskey, Paul Marshall and Simon Zebo. He has certain gra's or agenda's against those players in particular because of "they don't do as I tell them to do". For now everyone seems happy that Schmidt is doing a good job because we are 3 from 3 in the 6N. However I had to laugh when TV3 analyst Shane Horgan said post-match against France that "I loved the ambition we showed". Is he living in the real world!!

Tomorrow is a real day of destiny for the Irish team. The Scots will come and play with real ambition. I still think that Scots feel that they are underappreciated by the Irish. In particular Shane Horgan and Ronan O'Gara's dismissal of them before this corresponding fixture last year in Murrayfield has really touched a nerve up there. Obviously I hope we win but to say we will win by 15 plus points that some are claiming here is absolute ludicrous. I'll take a one point win right now. If our kicking game is not up to scratch and gets loose then it could be a long afternoon. However on the basis that we kick intelligently, less narrow in defense and play this possession based game using the likes of Stander, Leavy and Furlong to crash over the gainline and suffocate the Scots, that might come handy if the weather is bad then Ireland will win in a low scoring match.

He has alienated the likes of Matt Healy, Tiernan O'Halloran, Craig Gilroy, Stuart McCloskey, Paul Marshall and Simon Zebo. He has certain gra's or agenda's against those players in particular because of "they don't do as I tell them to do".

If a player doesn't do as Joe tells him, it's perfectly reasonable that he wouldn't be picked. That's hardly an agenda. Are you arguing that he should be picking players that don't do as he tells them?
    For now everyone seems happy that Schmidt is doing a good job because we are 3 from 3 in the 6N.

Everyone seems happy not just because we are 3 from 3 this year. He has far more credit in the bank than just this 6 Nations alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Joe Schmidt has defended Ireland's crash, bang and wallop tactics in the midst of Warren Gatland's tongue and cheek remark claiming Ireland's attacking play is "so exciting".

Personally I have a number of stuff that I would like to discuss about that. Firstly Gatland should keep his mouth shut when it comes to attacking rugby with his "warrenball" tactics that he has insisted throughout his professional rugby coaching career. Secondly Schmidt cannot say that Ireland play attacking rugby. At least 3 of our tries against the Welsh was through grunt and brute force, where it took periods and periods of going through the phases where we stubbornly did not go wide on those occasions where there was a ton of space there. Eventually we barged our way to the try line.

This possession based game that Schmidt has implemented has come at a cost of our more attack minded players. He has alienated the likes of Matt Healy, Tiernan O'Halloran, Craig Gilroy, Stuart McCloskey, Paul Marshall and Simon Zebo. He has certain gra's or agenda's against those players in particular because of "they don't do as I tell them to do". For now everyone seems happy that Schmidt is doing a good job because we are 3 from 3 in the 6N. However I had to laugh when TV3 analyst Shane Horgan said post-match against France that "I loved the ambition we showed". Is he living in the real world!!

Tomorrow is a real day of destiny for the Irish team. The Scots will come and play with real ambition. I still think that Scots feel that they are underappreciated by the Irish. In particular Shane Horgan and Ronan O'Gara's dismissal of them before this corresponding fixture last year in Murrayfield has really touched a nerve up there. Obviously I hope we win but to say we will win by 15 plus points that some are claiming here is absolute ludicrous. I'll take a one point win right now. If our kicking game is not up to scratch and gets loose then it could be a long afternoon. However on the basis that we kick intelligently, less narrow in defense and play this possession based game using the likes of Stander, Leavy and Furlong to crash over the gainline and suffocate the Scots, that might come handy if the weather is bad then Ireland will win in a low scoring match.

TBH I think Joe has an agenda against inferior players. I assume you mean Luke Marshall rather than Paul Marshall, but even then, of the players you've named, only Zebo is remotely good enough to force his way into the 23 for tomorrow.

The players you've named, with the exception of Healy, have all had multiple call-ups in Ireland camp. Every player gets a fair chance; some players take their chances, others don't. Matt Healy isn't good enough to merit a call-up, sorry to say.

We're going out tomorrow with a three-quarters line of:

Earls
    Aki
    Ringrose
    Stockdale

Have Ireland, under ANY coach, ever fielded a more attacking 11 - 14? I'd be surprised.

Now, imagine that line-up was:
    Healy
    McCloskey
    Marshall
    Gilroy

We'd be beaten out the gate.

The players that Joe "has an agenda" against simply aren't good enough. If, as you suggest, a player won't do as he's told, then why on earth would any coach pick him?

I still think when called upon they are good in attacking play. It's in defending I would be concerned about in terms of our backs particularly out wide. In saying that we can go out and win this by 15-20 but I'd be cautious.

Schmidt cannot say that Ireland play attacking rugby. At least 3 of our tries against the Welsh was through grunt and brute force, where it took periods and periods of going through the phases where we stubbornly did not go wide on those occasions where there was a ton of space there. Eventually we barged our way to the try line..

do you think attacking rugby only exists if the ball is thrown out wide?

if we scored 3 tries through those phases of play, then keeping the ball tight was EXACTLY the right decision to make.

• Advertisement

Secondly Schmidt cannot say that Ireland play attacking rugby. At least 3 of our tries against the Welsh was through grunt and brute force, where it took periods and periods of going through the phases where we stubbornly did not go wide on those occasions where there was a ton of space there. Eventually we barged our way to the try line.
    You may need to look at that game again. Early in the first half, we broke from our own 22, and in a handful of phases were in the Welsh 22 when we were turned over. Our first try came after just four phases from a scrum. Our second was phase possession alright, but our third came on the back of a break by Keith Earls and we were over the line in four phases from there. Earls' break came after six phases. Our fourth was scored after three phases from a scrum on the Welsh 5m (which followed a lineout loss on their 5m that we turned over). And the fifth was an intercept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Thought Ireland were sensational in attack vs Wales. We scored 5 tries!

The criticism of Joe Schmidt is bizarre at this stage.

We're going out tomorrow with a three-quarters line of:

Earls
    Aki
    Ringrose
    Stockdale

Have Ireland, under ANY coach, ever fielded a more attacking 11 - 14? I'd be surprised.

I'd agree with all of our post except for this. We've surely had some combination of Horgan/Bowe, Drico, D'arcy and Hickie/Luke Fitz at some point?

Thought Ireland were sensational in attack vs Wales. We scored 5 tries!

The criticism of Joe Schmidt is bizarre at this stage.

I think that is a little over the top. I haven't seen any real harsh criticism of Schmidt. He is the best coach we have had. He is a great tactician. He does go into a game with his homework done. I have seen posters express opinions but criticism is thin enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah c'mon. Farrell was clear MOTM. Aside from a couple of poor reads in defence he was absolutely brilliant. He worked so hard from the very first whistle, put in a serious shift, his tackles and carries were far more physical than any other player on the pitch, I'd have been delighted if Henshaw put in a shift like that. Everyone in the stands with us at half time were in agreement he was MoTM at that point even, even the Welsh fans beside us!

Sexton was class, but never in a million years will a kicker who misses that many sitters get MoTM - not something I agree with, but that's the way it goes. I thought he was brilliant, yet when I came in to work on Monday the office colleagues were all in agreement he was piss-poor... the general public base a 10 off the tee it seems.

The general public don't pick MOTM!

I'm probably pretty biased as I've always been a fan, but I think Sexton is the MOTM in most games he plays tbh. He's ludicrously good and people don't appreciate him as much as they should. He controlled that game perfectly - which is what a 10 is supposed to do and their actual primary role.

• Advertisement
Advertisement