Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match preview and thread: IRE v SCO (Sat 10th Mar 14:15) TV3, ITV & FR2.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

i see an easy Irish win honestly. by 15 points or more

Scotland produce nothing off their own ball. Last week was the organised chaos they needed.
    Schmidt floods the ruck and as Thornley remarked " the two man clear out is a non negotiable with joe".
    They are rubbish away from home.
    They played their cup final last week.
    Murray flapping his arms for pens.
    Wayne Barnes .

I find ireland boring but they have a plan and they all stick on task and do it well.

Scotland will always let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Scotland produce nothing off their own ball. Last week was the organised chaos they needed.
    Schmidt floods the ruck and as Thornley remarked " the two man clear out is a non negotiable with joe".
    Wayne Barnes .

I find ireland boring but they have a plan and they all stick on task and do it well.

Coincidentally, Ireland finds your posts boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wayne Barnes .

So does this mean - if you expect them to lose, they'll win?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bilston wrote: »
    I'm way too confident about this game.

How many Scots would get into our side.

None of their tight 5, you might squeeze Barclay into our back row.

Neither of their backs would make our team.

You'd take Huw Jones and you'd take Hogg.

What about Maitland v Stockdale? Not sure. If you're Scottish you'll probably say Maitland. But I'm Irish so I would take Stockdale.

So basically 3/4 Scots would get into a composite XV. Not that that means a lot.

Jonny Grey is very good. Could take him over Toner or Ryan.

Could easily take Huw Jones over Bundee or Ringrose

Blair Kinghorn has the potential to be world class. Could take him over Stockdale.

I don't know a lot about Kinghorn but Stockdale is well on his way to becoming world class himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sorry but neither Maitland nor Aki can be considered world class. If they were, they'd still be in NZ.

😆😆

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

MJohnston wrote: »
    Coincidentally, Ireland finds your posts boring.

thats not very nice. i didn't address any posters in an unmannerly fashion.
    Scotland are dreadful away from home. The stats are damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Barnes is grand, he wouldnt have allowed half that messing on the ground that Nigel did against England.

that suits us as we play a game heavily based upon ruck security
    ......... complemented with borderline side entry clear outs & topped off with a large dollop of flopping over the ball & off the feet.

Mr Barnes may take a different view of such tactics on Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

......... complemented with borderline side entry clear outs & topped off with a large dollop of flopping over the ball & off the feet.

Now now, nobody likes a sore loser. I never did get a chance to ask you how you enjoyed the Irish midfield you were so thrilled to come up against?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ah here! I thought you were better than that. :(

Seriously? I'm sure you're right, but only the most one-eyed supporter would believe that only the opposition get up to such stuff.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Now now, nobody likes a sore loser. I never did get a chance to ask you how you enjoyed the Irish midfield you were so thrilled to come up against?
    ... no sore loser here. As i said last week ... best team won.

Just pointing out the flip side of the coin .... for the band-waggoners that is.

As for the Irish midfield .... it wasn't them that won you the game. In fact they almost lost it for you!

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »

Seriously? I'm sure you're right, but only the most one-eyed supporter would believe that only the opposition get up to such stuff.
    Agree ... all sides try to find an edge.

Just sometimes Mr Referee can get in the way if he takes a dislike to certain practices.

As i said ..... just pointing out the flip side of the coin ..... and there usually is one.

I don't believe Wales went out there last week with the express intention of not competing at the breakdown. They just couldn't get anyway near it ..... got pinged a couple of times at the start as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

prawnsambo wrote: »

We're by far one of the least penalised teams in international rugby. It's not because referees just can't be arsed penalising us. We generally are pretty technically sound in the tight.

Just sometimes Mr Referee can get in the way if he takes a dislike to certain practices.

As i said ..... just pointing out the flip side of the coin ..... and there usually is one.

I don't believe Wales went out there last week with the express intention of not competing at the breakdown. They just couldn't get anyway near it ..... got pinged a couple of times at the start as well.
    Maybe we will get pinged. But 13 penalties conceded in three matches kinda suggests we're clever enough not to get caught too often.

Or we're just squeaky clean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I would like discuss this though from the other thread

What faces was Kearney pulling exactly? You can't compare to the best of the best, NZ, when they have the likes of Israel Dagg pulling the best faces in world rugby. Maybe when can compete when James Lowe qualifies.

Maybe he means this face?

?width=630&version=1353703

We're by far one of the least penalised teams in international rugby. It's not because referees just can't be arsed penalising us. We generally are pretty technically sound in the tight.
    Agree ... stats are there.

All I'm saying is don't be surprised if Mr Barnes has a different perspective than Mr Jackson ..... that is all.

Also .... for what it's worth I think Ireland will beat Scotland but may struggle at Twickenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone else hearing sexy hasn't trained this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Agree ... stats are there.

All I'm saying is don't be surprised if Mr Barnes has a different perspective than Mr Jackson ..... that is all.

Barnes' perspective suits us fine. The last time he refereed us in the 6 Nations, last season, we conceded 4 penalties despite losing. He certainly had no problem that day.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone else hearing sexy hasn't trained this week?
    Well he was at training today. Plenty of photos of him on inpho and sportsfile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

As for the Irish midfield .... it wasn't them that won you the game. In fact they almost lost it for you!

Tell me more...

bundee5.png?strip=all&quality=100&w=940&h=400&crop=1

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Tell me more...

bundee5.png?strip=all&quality=100&w=940&h=400&crop=1
    ... was waiting for that one.

Overall Aki was no more than average. Farrell MOM ... gimme a break. Who chose that?

Sexton was MOM by a country mile. Take him off the pitch and .......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

A bit like Mr Barnes in Cardiff last year. YC for Sexton but no YC for Warburton for the same offence 3m from their own try lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Overall Aki was no more than average. Farrell MOM ... gimme a break. Who chose that?

Ah c'mon. Farrell was clear MOTM. Aside from a couple of poor reads in defence he was absolutely brilliant. He worked so hard from the very first whistle, put in a serious shift, his tackles and carries were far more physical than any other player on the pitch, I'd have been delighted if Henshaw put in a shift like that. Everyone in the stands with us at half time were in agreement he was MoTM at that point even, even the Welsh fans beside us!

Sexton was class, but never in a million years will a kicker who misses that many sitters get MoTM - not something I agree with, but that's the way it goes. I thought he was brilliant, yet when I came in to work on Monday the office colleagues were all in agreement he was piss-poor... the general public base a 10 off the tee it seems.

Anyway, I digress. You had a point at the time, and I do think between Aki and Farrell they did both conspire to give space and ground and that turned into tries at points. Ringrose is a better defender albeit a more slight man, I think so long as Sexton stays fit that midfield should keep the Scots out, just.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Aside from the early penalty Aki was anything but average. Or put it this way, if that's average I'll take average every game... how did the Welsh midfield go, by the way?

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one [MOM]

All the comments I had from my mates back in Wales were of the type ..."Sexton class" etc.

Obviously wasn't 'piss-poor' .... every line break Ireland made came from Sexton either picking the right runner or timing the pass perfectly.

Put it this way if you said to me at half time .... you have won a fans special prize and can haul ashore one of the opposition I wouldn't have been plumping for Farrell !

Zzippy wrote: »
    Aside from the early penalty Aki was anything but average. Or put it this way, if that's average I'll take average every game... how did the Welsh midfield go, by the way?
    Just fine when they had the ball .....manufactured some nice tries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Jonny S was MOTM. He was the difference between the sides.
    Farrell did very well, but the MOTM swung his way because, and kudos indeed to him, he greatly exceeded general expectation. Henchie wouldnt have got it for the same performance for example.

Anyway back to Saturday ..... hopefully the weather holds up.

If the Scots get some possession it might get interesting. They play a good brand of rugby ..... might be a step too far for them though.

Saying that there is no pressure on them .... compared to the expectation for the first game. They may turn out to be pretty dangerous opponents.

Jonny S was MOTM. He was the difference between the sides.
    Farrell did very well, but the MOTM swung his way because, and kudos indeed to him, he greatly exceeded general expectation. Henchie wouldnt have got it for the same performance for example.
    Yeah, that's how I saw it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭typhoony

tunovers could be a big factor in this game,i'd be concerned about the ball carrying position going into the tackle, toner and young ryan have a low ball carrying position which could lead to the Scottish backrow getting in early for turnovers, whereas stander and furlong are able to keep a higher body position.

Advertisement