Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Match preview and thread: IRE v SCO (Sat 10th Mar 14:15) TV3, ITV & FR2.

  • 08-03-2018 4:31pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    3.png&h=150&w=150
    ||
    2.png&h=150&w=150

    Rob Kearney|15|Stuart Hogg
    Keith Earls|14|Blair Kinghorn
    Garry Ringrose|13|Huw Jones
    Bundee Aki|12|Peter Horne
    Jacob Stockdale|11|Sean Maitland
    Jonathan Sexton|10|Finn Russell
    Conor Murray|9|Greig Laidlaw
    Cian Healy|1|Gordon Reid
    Rory Best|2|Stuart McInally
    Tadhg Furlong|3|Simon Berghan
    James Ryan|4|Grant Gilchrist
    Devin Toner|5|Jonny Gray
    Peter O'Mahony|6|John Barclay
    Dan Leavy|7|Hamish Watson
    CJ Stander|8|Ryan Wilson
    {colsp=3}Replacements||
    Sean Cronin|16|Fraser Brown
    Jack McGrath|17|Jamie Bhatti
    Andrew Porter|18|Willem P Nel
    Iain Henderson|19|Tim Swinson
    Jordi Murphy|20|David Denton
    Kieran Marmion|21|Ali Price
    Joey Carbery|22|Nick Grigg
    Jordan Larmour|23|Lee Jones

    Referee: Wayne Barnes

    Day four. After Emma wreaked havoc on our streets and road networks and kept us shivering in our houses huddled around the last remaining candle, we emerge blinking into the watery sunlight to contemplate the next step on the long and winding road to the culmination of the six nations on St. Patrick's day. Before we face perfidious Albion in their fortress in Twickenham there is the small matter of Gregor Townsend's rampaging Scots who, having driven the withered red rose, bloody and bowed back across the border, venture out from their lair to see if they can progress from stout defender to conquering champion. Will Huw Jones cross the Irish whitewash? Will Finn Russell unlock our defence with pin-point passes?

    Hopefully not. This Irish team are no strangers to the wit and width of Scotland's attack. In the shape of Glasgow, Leinster spanked them in the Champions Cup and Munster sent them home without even a losing bonus point to soften the blow. But the league isn't the Six Nations and the Champions Cup is forgotten for now. This is the business of the season and there's something in this game for everyone. The Scots still have skin in the game if other results favour them, so there are no easy games in the 6N.

    The question is whether Ireland have the firepower and the wit where England were witless and powerless, to stop the Scots in their tracks. Will we sacrifice the ruck to the defensive gods as England did? Not bloody likely. With Peter O'Mahony, Dan Leavy and CJ Stander in the back row, Ireland have the balance and grunt to take on the Scots at their own game and starve them of possession. With the return of Garry Ringrose to his favoured position, perhaps we may see something like this on Saturday.

    The rise of James Ryan continues with another start in the six nations and with Big Dev at his side, hopefuly the Irish lineout will have a better day at the office than it did this time last year. Jonny Sexton and Keith Earls are set to start despite malicious and fear-mongering rumours spread by partyjungle and his friend's friend. Nordi Murphy and Jordan Larmour come onto the bench in place of Jack Conan and Fergus McFadden who will be made to wacth from the naughty step. Tadhg Furlong returns to his rightful spot after recovering from a tight hamstring while Iain Henderson waits impatiently on the bench. Other than that, it's much the same team that saw off Wales, albeit shakily at the end.

    So what do we want? More of the above if Scotland try those long bridge passes in the wrong place at the wrong time, trying to emulate their success against England. Jacob Stockdale would like nothing better than to hit double figures courtesy of gift-wrapped opportunities as Scotland struggle against a suffocating defence. So pressure them at the rucks, push them back in attack and be ready to sweep up aything that gets kicked over or passed wide to get around us. And no stupid mistakes please. Oh, and did I mention that I wanted to see more of this?

    There are no easy games in the six nations, but there are very few away wins either. Ireland by a couple of scores would extend my lifespan by a couple more minutes and a bonus point would be vey nice thank you. :)


«13456731

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭ errlloyd


    Some say that Scott Spedding still goes from shop to shop in Lyon trying to buy that dummy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    Interesting to see Jared Payne and Dwayne Peel at squad training.

    1463758.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭ Sangre


    Not going to put your reputation on the line with a firm prediction? You'd make a great journalist.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭ molloyjh


    I think it says a lot about this Irish team that it is missing guys like Scannell, Ruddock, SOB, VDF, Jackson, Henshaw and Farrell and yet still the weakest part of the 23 is Joey Carbery, a kid with a big future who was already part of the team to beat NZ.

    Target Russell with any combination of POM, Leavy, Stander, Sexton and Aki and we should be able to shut down their back line. Do that and it'll be up to their pack. And our pack is better.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    molloyjh wrote: »
    I think it says a lot about this Irish team that it is missing guys like Scannell, Ruddock, SOB, VDF, Jackson, Henshaw and Farrell and yet still the weakest part of the 23 is Joey Carbery, a kid with a big future who was already part of the team to beat NZ.

    Target Russell with any combination of POM, Leavy, Stander, Sexton and Aki and we should be able to shut down their back line. Do that and it'll be up to their pack. And our pack is better.
    Vital to slow their ball down though. Look at those clips above, especially the Maitland try and see how disjointed the English defence was. It became a rabble very quickly and that's all down to how quick the Scots were able to recycle.


  • Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭ fitz


    Nice to see the return of a good table in a preview. Solid work.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭ molloyjh


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Vital to slow their ball down though. Look at those clips above, especially the Maitland try and see how disjointed the English defence was. It became a rabble very quickly and that's all down to how quick the Scots were able to recycle.

    Yeah, we have the forwards to be able to do that and still spare a back row to torment Russell I think. Healy, Best, Furlong, Ryan and 2 of our 3 back rows should be able to make enough of a mess of the breakdowns. Imagine them having to battle Best, POM and Stander at a breakdown while Russell has Leavy and Aki coming at him when he does get the ball?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭ joseywhales


    Who gets the first intercept ringrose or Stockdale?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    Who gets the first intercept ringrose or Stockdale?
    By rights it should be Ringrose, being closer to the source. But Stockdale would be in with a chance if they try to get around us with bridge passes. Although, then again, they've probably been shown clips of that last try every day for the last week or so as a bedtime horror story. :)


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Neil3030


    Who gets the first intercept ringrose or Stockdale?

    Ringer, all day.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    You heard it here first.

    Ireland 36 | 11 Scotland


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭ aloooof


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    By rights it should be Ringrose, being closer to the source. But Stockdale would be in with a chance if they try to get around us with bridge passes. Although, then again, they've probably been shown clips of that last try every day for the last week or so as a bedtime horror story. :)

    I think I've heard the phrase "bridge passes" more in the last 2 weeks than in the previous 222. ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    Venjur wrote: »
    You heard it here first.

    Ireland 36 | 11 Scotland
    Gregor Townsend says he's not afraid of losing, but he's terrified of being hockeyed. Would that count as a hockeying? ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Gregor Townsend says he's not afraid of losing, but he's terrified of being hockeyed. Would that count as a hockeying? ;)

    This will be him recovering just after we score our fourth try on 36 minutes:

    scotland-v-england-rbs-six-nations-bt-murrayfield-3-390x285.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭ paulie21


    Well my confidence has taken a dent when I seen Barnes was referee


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭ Teferi


    A note on Barnes: A lot of Scots on Scottish Rugby Twitter seem to reckon he'll benefit us more than them. If both sides are unhappy, it's probably even enough.


  • Subscribers Posts: 36,277 ✭✭✭✭ sydthebeat


    paulie21 wrote: »
    Well my confidence has taken a dent when I seen Barnes was referee

    Barnes is grand, he wouldnt have allowed half that messing on the ground that Nigel did against England.

    that suits us as we play a game heavily based upon ruck security


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    Yeah, I wouldn't be too concerned about Barnes. Scotland are probably worried because they won't get any leeway for messing in rucks and although we like to try and get turnovers there, we usually pick our moments and don't go after everything regardless.

    Edit: Snap with sydthebeat. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,218 ✭✭✭✭ bilston


    paulie21 wrote: »
    Well my confidence has taken a dent when I seen Barnes was referee

    Barnes is a good referee. He will police the breakdown properly.

    One thing that I believe annoys people about Barnes is that he isn't afraid to give a big penalty at a decisive moment, unlike Owens who will do everything to avoid it. The problem with that is that if you're the side that concedes that penalty you're likely to be pissed.

    Oh and there's also they way he walks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭ Interested Observer


    Teferi wrote: »
    A note on Barnes: A lot of Scots on Scottish Rugby Twitter seem to reckon he'll benefit us more than them. If both sides are unhappy, it's probably even enough.

    I'm not really a fan of his at all but I think those Scottish fans our right. He's a fussy ref and we're a very structured team. He won't let them away with half of what they were away with against England at the rucks.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 irishbucsfan


    CORRUPT Wayne Barnes will be out for revenge for his loser countrymen!!! Sad!


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,049 ✭✭✭✭ PTH2009


    amazing write up and really looking forward to the game. Sat 2.15 can't come quick enough. Sadly working Sat night til 11pm but plan to head straight for drink after if we are victorious and it would be even sweeter if England lost or didn't get the BP and we won with it


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,218 ✭✭✭✭ bilston


    I'm way too confident about this game.

    How many Scots would get into our side.

    None of their tight 5, you might squeeze Barclay into our back row.

    Neither of their backs would make our team.

    You'd take Huw Jones and you'd take Hogg.

    What about Maitland v Stockdale? Not sure. If you're Scottish you'll probably say Maitland. But I'm Irish so I would take Stockdale.

    So basically 3/4 Scots would get into a composite XV. Not that that means a lot.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭ Dubinusa


    Great opening Mr Sambo. I'm still nervous about this game. Glad to see Toner, he is unbelievable driving the maul. That could be our big advantage.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭ partyjungle


    bilston wrote: »
    I'm way too confident about this game.

    How many Scots would get into our side.

    None of their tight 5, you might squeeze Barclay into our back row.

    Neither of their backs would make our team.

    You'd take Huw Jones and you'd take Hogg.

    What about Maitland v Stockdale? Not sure. If you're Scottish you'll probably say Maitland. But I'm Irish so I would take Stockdale.

    So basically 3/4 Scots would get into a composite XV. Not that that means a lot.

    Jonny Grey is very good. Could take him over Toner or Ryan.

    Could easily take Huw Jones over Bundee or Ringrose

    Blair Kinghorn has the potential to be world class. Could take him over Stockdale.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭ partyjungle


    I would like discuss this though from the other thread
    Cowboy848 wrote:
    Nothing to do with his ridiculous gloating whilst in the Irish jersey. He should be shot for some of the faces he pulled whilst representing our country.

    What faces was Kearney pulling exactly? You can't compare to the best of the best, NZ, when they have the likes of Israel Dagg pulling the best faces in world rugby. Maybe when can compete when James Lowe qualifies.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    I would like discuss this though from the other thread

    What faces was Kearney pulling exactly? You can't compare to the best of the best, NZ, when they have the likes of Israel Dagg pulling the best faces in world rugby. Maybe when can compete when James Lowe qualifies.
    I'm intrigued by the need to shoot him for making faces. Is that a thing now?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭ joseywhales


    bilston wrote: »
    I'm way too confident about this game.

    How many Scots would get into our side.

    None of their tight 5, you might squeeze Barclay into our back row.

    Neither of their backs would make our team.

    You'd take Huw Jones and you'd take Hogg.

    What about Maitland v Stockdale? Not sure. If you're Scottish you'll probably say Maitland. But I'm Irish so I would take Stockdale.

    So basically 3/4 Scots would get into a composite XV. Not that that means a lot.
     
    Jonny Grey is very good. Could take him over Toner or Ryan.

    Could easily take Huw Jones over Bundee or Ringrose

    Blair Kinghorn has the potential to be world class. Could take him over Stockdale.
    I'd give you one, 
    Two is not true at all, Bundee and Ringrose are up there with the best in the world talent wise.
    Three is not enough rugby to decide.

    I think we will struggle if we are not ahead by half time, dont like us chasing games.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭ salmocab


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by the need to shoot him for making faces. Is that a thing now?

    Well it’s bad form to practice for the world gurning championships during a match on company time, very unprofessional.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ The Black Stags


    I would like discuss this though from the other thread
    Cowboy848 wrote:
    Nothing to do with his ridiculous gloating whilst in the Irish jersey.  He should be shot for some of the faces he pulled whilst representing  our country.

    What faces was Kearney pulling exactly? You can't compare to the best of the best, NZ, when they have the likes of Israel Dagg pulling the best faces in world rugby. Maybe  when can compete when James Lowe qualifies.
    https://imgur.com/a/8SQd3


Advertisement