Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick paedophile ring: arrests made.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

That's definitely proof of these people in a totally unrelated crime in a different country being travellers.

I never suggested it was..

You're making the connection there.. Not me..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

markodaly wrote: »

I was clearly talking about within the state here.

markodaly wrote: »
    Hundreds? You know this as a fact now? Do share.

I think you should stop now as you are embarrassing yourself.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/big-questions-go-unanswered-in-garda-penalty-points-scandal-1.3312793?mode=amp

Look at me embarrassing myself with facts. :rolleyes:

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    Amazing how people are free to use this thread to bash the RCC who in fairness do have a history with the sexual abuse of children

Won’t somebody think of the paedos!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Amazing how people are free to use this thread to bash the RCC who in fairness do have a history with the sexual abuse of children but as far as grooming gangs go it's Islam (88% of all grooming gangs in the UK) that currently tops the charts but because that is a protected religion for some reason if it had been brought into this thread to the same level as Catholics there would surely have been bans. I am just amazed at the blatant hypocrisy.

This being Ireland we don't have the same experiences with Islamic abuse. Whereas we do with the CC.

Catholics are also a safe target. There's no threat to one's life or social status in criticising them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

I have often questioned whether the 1 in 4 statistical sexual abuse figure was accurate, this case is making me think it is.

Keeping that figure mind, it conjures up all sorts of suspicions about almost everyone in the community, am I being "over shocked"?

Does the figure rise or fall for rural or urban areas, or is it fairly consistent?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Has this been covered on RTE at all (print of on air)? If not, and there is a known reason why (due to persons/organizations involved), please send me a PM.

Thanks.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Has this been covered on RTE at all (print of on air)? If not, and there is a known reason why (due to persons/organizations involved), please send me a PM.

Thanks.

And me please. (I don't want actual names of people)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Some people are assuming it's Rathkeale that's the centre of these allegations. It's not.

The two related families are based in Ballingarry and Newcastlewest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Its also bullsh1t, there is no way 25% of all Irish children have been sexually assaulted, that's just a charity/NGO creating it's own data to raise funds/awareness.

The description of abuse is broad, from say the sheer depravity apparently happening here to brother feelsalot grabbing your arse.

I could count three cases of adults copping a feel when I was a teenager. Two were harmless, one I feel remorse that I didn’t actually respond. But I was old then, 15 and she was hot.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Its not getting much coverage at all.

There was mention on TV3 tonight show last night, a preview of the papers saying there's something about it in today's papers, might have been the Examiner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Won’t somebody think of the paedos!!!!

What about the Nazis though, they killed a lot of people, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Amazing how people are free to use this thread to bash the RCC who in fairness do have a history with the sexual abuse of children but as far as grooming gangs go it's Islam (88% of all grooming gangs in the UK) that currently tops the charts but because that is a protected religion for some reason if it had been brought into this thread to the same level as Catholics there would surely have been bans. I am just amazed at the blatant hypocrisy.

It's amazing how some ppl use this thread to bash Islam.

But you are right, some ppl will use any opportunity they can to bash the CC in the same way some ppl will defend it as if it's beyond reproach. So you have some ppl unfairly bashing and others defending when the criticism is valid. Clearly one of those two positions is much worse than the other given the consequences of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It makes it much easier for this kind of thing to happen in a closed community. For example, if children go to school, it increases the risk of being found out.

People can't just offer their children without taking a huge risk. It's much safer if your "customers" are part of the same closed community.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

dense wrote: »
    And me please. (I don't want actual names of people)

Same here please

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Discodog wrote: »
    It makes it much easier for this kind of thing to happen in a closed community. For example, if children go to school, it increases the risk of being found out.

People can't just offer their children without taking a huge risk. It's much safer if your "customers" are part of the same closed community.

But its not happening in a closed community in this instance?
    Unless you are referring to the family unit as that?

It is not Traveller related and the family involved would be generally quite well respected and well known in the area.

While no-one knows what happens behind closed doors, these closed doors weren't on a halting site or religious compound(This time).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

banie01 wrote: »
    But its not happening in a closed community in this instance?
    Unless you are referring to the family unit as that?

It is not Traveller related and the family involved would be generally quite well respected and well known in the area.

While no-one knows what happens behind closed doors, these closed doors weren't on a halting site or religious compound(This time).

And the fact this this has had zero coverage on the national broadcaster is a huge concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭banie01

And the fact this this has had zero coverage on the national broadcaster is a huge concern.

But it has been reported on by RTE, granted not in any great detail but it has been.
    RTE are restricted in what they can report due the nature of the charges and the victims.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0305/945229-abuse-munster/

and

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/970768850160685056

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

With everything that has emerged over the past few years, I think most people presume it's yet another foster home. I can't see how some people are making the connection with travellers.

dav3 wrote: »
    With everything that has emerged over the past few years, I think most people presume it's yet another foster home. I can't see how some people are making the connection with travellers.

Children outside of a care home environment would be in much less contact with social workers/officials much less though.

In other words, in a "closed community" or in the "normal community" kids have little contact with state workers and so there should be more potential for abuse?

I take your point though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,314 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Safiri wrote: »
    The mirror are reporting that they have all been released without charge:eek:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/munster-paedophile-ring-gardai-limerick-12140810

this is normal. they wont charge them until they have collated all the evidence and figured out what they can charge them with.

Yeh, another lot the RC Church got on great with.

Thanks for the reminder!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Shoobs86

I'm just catching up on reading this thread. I'm not sure about the figure of 1 in 4 kids being sexually abused? According to the Rape Crisis Centre (not to be confused with the RCC earlier in the thread! :) ) "Irish research has found that one in five adult women and one in ten adult men experienced sexual violence (The SAVI Report, Prof. Hannah McGee et al, Royal College of Surgeons, Liffey Press, 2002)." I don't see much about kids there.

Unfortunately, the funding for research pretty much ceased in 2013, so all of the information (anonymous) that had been gathered after that has not been analysed. Also, it's believed that less than 32% of survivors will talk about it, or maybe that's reported it? something along those lines. I know I work in a place with 6 women and 3 of us were abused at a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

dense wrote: »
    Children outside of a care home environment would be in much less contact with social workers/officials much less though.

In other words, in a "closed community" or in the "normal community" kids have little contact with state workers and so there should be more potential for abuse?

I take your point though.

Unfortunately it's not that straightforward. With every case that comes to light, it's clear that there was and continues to be a massive failing by the state in relation to child care and child protection.

The reason I mentioned foster homes was due to the inspection carried out and the subsequent report published towards the end of last year.

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2017/08/18/garda-checks-limerick-fosterers/

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0815/897499-hiqa-child-foster-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Shoobs86

more stats here if anyone is interested. although it makes grim reading. http://www.rcni.ie/wp-content/uploads/RCNI-National-Statistics-2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

And Pol Pot eh? And that Stalin!! Don’t get me started!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeh, another lot the RC Church got on great with.

Thanks for the reminder!!! :pac:

They were up close and personal with the Khmer Rouge too Zebra ....oh wait no they weren’t cos they are atheists...sorry...forget I spoke...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And its even wayy down the list on the indo site for example, no media seems to be picking up and running with this story for some strange reason

splinter65 wrote: »
    They were up close and personal with the Khmer Rouge too Zebra ....oh wait no they weren’t cos they are atheists...sorry...forget I spoke...

practically all Khmer are Buddhist.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    And its even wayy down the list on the indo site for example, no media seems to be picking up and running with this story for some strange reason

apart from the bare facts that we already know what is there to report on? The only thing they can really do is baseless speculation and AH is much better at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement