Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick paedophile ring: arrests made.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I think with this one I can say:
    'May they die roaring AND without a priest'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Whoever is responsible for it, its a sad and appalling story.

I would also caution people against labelling all travellers as being the same if it does in fact relate to their community.

I would safely say most travellers would be appalled by this behaviour too.

Unquestionably there are problems in the traveller community and you'd have to question the sustainability of their way of life. When you choose to abandon mainstream life and education early on, you will always be on the backfoot in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Malayalam wrote: »
    These vile people were prostituting children to 'strangers' to rape and abuse. That means there are a lot more people involved than just the circle of relations. It's difficult for the mind to take in - that there is a 'market' in this kind of evil

that level of evil and depravity is impossible to comprehend

I truly fail to see how it's a criminal justice issue - these people should be disappeared - not incarcerated at great expense to the rest of society with a view to rehabilitation and release.

I do not see how society is truly served by these people being temporarily segregated.

I can't see a way in which someone capable of such levels of evil would ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Yes, Myra Hindley was clearly framed...

What does that even mean in relation to this story?
    People are shocked that there is more women involved than men, it is shocking, particularly because some of the victims are babies and toddlers and (according to the radio) all the victims are prepubescent. That makes you wonder if the women involved were the mothers of these children?
    Nobody is saying all women are innocent and couldn't possibly be guilty of these types of crimes but it is shocking to think a woman could carry a baby in her body, give birth and bring it into a life of abuse like this.
    Were the children involved conceived through rape? Were the children involved conceived in order to continue the cycle and keep the money coming in? Sadly, these are possibilities.

Gravelly wrote: »
    Culture. De wimmin' does be doin' what they're told and don't ask no questions, boss. Shure tis' such a valuable and precious culture that it is now enshrined in law, officially sanctioned as it were.

so it's not possible that the women were responsible themselves no?

it's all the men's fault and these women are victims too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

lawred2 wrote: »
    so it's not possible that the women were responsible themselves no?

it's all the men's fault and these women are victims too?

Of course they have to accept blame, but in a culture where women are essentially the property of the males in their lives, there is the possibility that they were involved in something against their will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

RoboKlopp wrote: »

I’d have thought the worst paedophile ring in the state is the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Of course they have to accept blame, but in a culture where women are essentially the property of the males in their lives, there is the possibility that they were involved in something against their will.

Which culture are you alluding to in this post? Do you know more than what's been reported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

where in the article in the OP does it say that the people arrested are travellers?

I think you missed the part where I said "IF"

I hope it isn't but sadly the possibility cannot be ruled out. At this stage all we know is its Irish nationals from an extended family. The truth will emerge in time.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Which culture are you alluding to in this post? Do you know more than what's been reported?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

From the Irish Mirror - https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/senior-gardai-deeply-shocked-horrifying-12134061

One of those involved holds a senior position in a sporting organisation and is a well-known and respected figure in his community.

If the above is true, I highly doubt that this paedophile ring is traveller related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

BattleCorp wrote: »
    From the Irish Mirror - https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/senior-gardai-deeply-shocked-horrifying-12134061

If the above is true, I highly doubt that this paedophile ring is traveller related.

Very disappointing for 80% of posters on here who IMMEDIATELY used this very sad and horrendous alledged crime to attack Travellers. And make the hilarious 'culture' joke ad nauseum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yes.

Yes what? You didn't answer the initial question. Which culture are you on about?

Grand. You won't mind if I come back to this if it's bullsh*t you're spouting?

Sure. Whatever floats your boat pet.

BattleCorp wrote: »

scary..

anyone with kids here knows the trust that they place in local sporting organisations and those involved...

even I'm involved with under 6 coaching

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Zebra3 wrote: »

Not even close.

The overwhelming majority of paedophilia is committed from within the family unit of the victim.

Why can't you just answer a simple question since you made the claim? Unless you're just talking sh*te.
    Chrongen wrote: »
    Said he who is backpedalling :pac:

No backpedalling here. My post is clear, try to bait someone else pet, I'm not biting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Zebra3 wrote: »

Disappointing for you Zebra3.
    But it’s really you’re own fault for being completely blindsided by your totally irrational but all consuming hatred of RCC.
    You’re completely blinkered.
    90+% of abused children are abused by either family members or someone their family welcomed into the house.
    You’ve allowed yourself to believe that children are only in danger from priests.
    I’d like to think that you and others like you would pay attention to this story and learn something but I don’t have much faith.

tigger123 wrote: »
    How on earth did people assume it was a traveller family?!

Might be, might not either.

I’ll be astonished if it is travellers. I can’t see what difference it makes what background the family is from. It’s terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Clair4

Those poor poor children I really hope they get help my heart goes out to them ! as for those dirty vile scumbags a bullet each be too good for them hang them . But knowing this country nothing will be done :(

Don't care who they are or what they look like or come from. If they've been trafficking and providing kids just lock them up and never let them out.

Clair4 wrote: »
    Those poor poor children I really hope they get help my heart goes out to them ! as for those dirty vile scumbags a bullet each be too good for them hang them . But knowing this country nothing will be done :(

What do you mean “nothing will be done”?
    They’ve been arrested. What do you want to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

splinter65 wrote: »
    But it’s really you’re own fault for being completely blindsided by your totally irrational but all consuming hatred of RCC.
    90+% of abused children are abused by either family members or someone their family welcomed into the house.
    You’ve allowed yourself to believe that children are only in danger from priests.
    I’d like to think that you and others like you would pay attention to this story and learn something but I don’t have much faith.

What Zebra3 said is 100% fact. The worst paedophile ring in the state is the catholic church. Why try to play it down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Zebra said the s/he thought the biggest paedophile ring was the RCC and they are right. People who abuse kids in their families do it on the hush hush. The RCC knew about abuse and actively covered it up on a national level. Zebra never said the RCC committed the most abuse or that kids are only in danger from priests. Can you name a paedophile ring in Ireland that was bigger than the RCC?

dav3 wrote: »
    What Zebra3 is 100% fact. The worst paedophile ring in the state is the catholic church. Why try to play it down?

You don’t believe that 90+% of abused children are abused by family and friends of family?
    You believe that all paedophiles are priests and all priests are paedophiles?
    Have you reported the clergy in your local Catholic Church to the Gardai?
    Do you think all the non clergy that have been found guilty of abusing children are miscarriages of Justice?

Chrongen wrote: »
    Not really. Travellers tend to not get involved in social organisations that involve the wider community, at least not adult Travellers. They generally stick to their own. It's hard enough for their kids to be accepted into a football or boxing club, the adult Travellers would feel the hostility twice as much if they tried to be a coach or a manager or something like that.

There’s absolutely no discrimination against any child from any background in any of the many sports clubs in our town.
    Not an iota.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Zebra said the s/he thought the biggest paedophile ring was the RCC and they are right. People who abuse kids in their families do it on the hush hush. The RCC knew about abuse and actively covered it up on a national level. Zebra never said the RCC committed the most abuse or that kids are only in danger from priests. Can you name a paedophile ring in Ireland that was bigger than the RCC?

Have you reported all the priests that you know that are in this paedophile ring to AGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

"Elaborate" yourself, given your obsession with my post, I presume you've elaborated all over the shop. Don't worry, if your precious culture is involved, there'll be plenty of opportunity to deflect later.

I don't have to elaborate on anything. This is your original post that I'm sure you thought was oh so edgy. Tongue in cheek perhaps:

Culture. De wimmin' does be doin' what they're told and don't ask no questions, boss. Shure tis' such a valuable and precious culture that it is now enshrined in law, officially sanctioned as it were.

You were asked what culture you were on about and instead of clarifying yourself you get defensive and accuse people of trying to get you banned. What have you got to be afraid of and why would you be banned? Unless your comment carried an underlying nastiness from which you are now trying to distance yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Clair4

What do you mean “nothing will be done”?
    They’ve been arrested. What do you want to happen?

What I mean .. Ya they'll get charged put in prison for a time but they live , get looked after in prison come out get social welfare and get moved into council houses to .

What do I want to happen I couldn't possibly tell you what I'd like to happen to a peadophile because I'd probably get locked up for sharing my thoughts on that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement