Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield V

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I was a bit suspicious when they seemed to have some significant changes that are only surfacing a week prior to a public beta and 5 weeks from the original launch date. But better to have a working game on release and not a botched mess 6 weeks earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Spear wrote: »
    I was a bit suspicious when they seemed to have some significant changes that are only surfacing a week prior to a public beta and 5 weeks from the original launch date. But better to have a working game on release and not a botched mess 6 weeks earlier.

Don't think it's anything technical when it's this close to their initial launch date.

Low pre-orders and a terrible time to release a game. Moving it a month after red dead and over a month after COD.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I wasn't referring to technical issues, though I'm sure we'll get them anyway. But they've started making some changes to game mechanics, such as any class can now pick up medkits and carry them around to use as wished, instead of relying upon medics, which would seem to fly in the face of the basic concept of inter-class teamwork that underpins the BF series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Best move they could have made.
    Information that has been coming out lately is that this or that feature won't be available at launch and it's pi$$ing people off.
    Also with October being a packed month for games they can now not rush a crappy unfinished product. Gives them a bit more time to get the game up to spec and polish. Beta is still next week and lasts the full week. After that can be a bit of chill before release.

They took a $350m hit to their share price, so it wasn't a trivial decision to take.

I don't think the close release of RDR2 and BO4 is that big a deal in the long run. Given that BFV is live service/software as a service/ongoing though/other stupid buzzword, it was always going to be a long term seller.

I'm far more interested in the rumour of a BC2 remaster being bundled with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yah whack of desperation now, apparently the pre-orders were down 85% compared to the new COD.

Someone is taking a spanking for it, you dont just wipe 350M off your balance sheet and be all hunky dory. Investors don't really like that kind of thing.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Yah whack of desperation now, apparently the pre-orders were down 85% compared to the new COD.

Someone is taking a spanking for it, you dont just wipe 350M off your balance sheet and be all hunky dory. Investors don't really like that kind of thing.

The pre-orders thing was a pile of crap. It was only based on the Amazon numbers, and they don't have physical copies of BFV, only digital editions.

The pre-orders thing was a pile of crap. It was only based on the Amazon numbers, and they don't have physical copies of BFV, only digital editions.

Actually no it wasn't Amazon, it was based off of gamestops numbers which was confirmed last week. The guy that said it was based off of amazon was wrong.

Gamestop being a primarily a hardware seller would have had allot of the retail copies.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Actually no it wasn't Amazon, it was based off of gamestops numbers which was confirmed last week. The guy that said it was based off of amazon was wrong.

Gamestop being a primarily a hardware seller would have had allot of the retail copies.

I didn't see the update that the analysts behind the claim were meant to have changed sources. Gamestop numbers wouldn't provide much insight into PC sales though.

I didn't see the update that the analysts behind the claim were meant to have changed sources. Gamestop numbers wouldn't provide much insight into PC sales though.

No it wouldn't but considering the dominant space for EA is in the console market you can see why they would be concerned.

The move itself has added a bit of flame to the overall rumor that sales are down across the board.

Either way if I was an EA exec I would not be very happy with Dice at the moment .

I think this is the only game since 2 that has not had an October launch.

• Advertisement

I wonder if that six weeks gap is really reflective of the time they think the game needs to mature, or if there's some number crunchers report somewhere that claims that 6 weeks is the timeframe for a player to get tired of a game and look to move on, just in time to catch the CoD players when they get restless.

Could be a bit of both I think console gamers are a bit more fluid because you can easily trade in games.

Maybe they are hoping it will pickup in the end or it could be that they know the game play is solid and extended Beta will do them favors.

It's not the end of the world for them but it could have more long term effects. Look at Andromeda, the controversy around that essentially put the nail in the coffin for the studio.

For those on PC, the beta doesn't automatically appear even if you've pre-ordered. You need to go to the BFV page on the Origin store, and select "try it first".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭tripperman

Looking forward to having my first go at this game tonight in the beta, see a few problems this morning on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I am getting a "failed to start - you do not have early access"

Even though its pre-ordered. This **** again.

*Update: I am in.
    Be sure to download the Battlefield V Enlister offer which contains the early access pass. Then restart your console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

pre ordered on xbox one store and download the early beta and still cannot get into the game..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm finding the new spotting system difficult to get used to. I never have any idea who's shooting at me. I guess when I know the maps better it'll be less of an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

It's very good except they somehow managed to mess up the squad spawn meaning you cannot spawn on your squad mates

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

It needs some good pollish but no doubt an old build.

I remember when people said the exact same thing about the BF4 open beta. Turned out not to true then and I doubt this time is any different.

BF1 turned me off battlefield and I haven't been paying any attention to this game, but I must admit I'm quite looking forward to giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Doubtful i’ll Pick it up. I’ve been playing it since Bf1942 and since and including BF3 it’s been getting worse and catering towards COD players.
    Bf1 was absolutely awful and I can’t see five being any better.
    Plus 80% fewer preorders than expected doesn’t help it.
    Of course when you call out your customers as small minded and bigoted as the head guy did you’re only asking for trouble.
    People are fighting back against the whole SJ whatever the hell this new bull**** it called and they’re voting with their wallets.
    Solo took a massive €150 million hit and EA/DICE should have copped this and not catered to the same minority. You can definitely see Disney and EA making changes after this and the DICE head guy getting the bullet is the start of it.
    Reckon a month down the line after release you can pick this up for €20 on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I like it!

Runs extremely well for a beta and it possibly the best looking game out at the moment.

TTK is decent, cant really run and recharge your health unless in cover to start with.

Will definitely play more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I got given a code from Nvidia randomly so gave it a try.

Bit buggy initially but once it settled I found it to be a lot of fun. If it wasnt my first week at a new job I'd put a lot more time in. But there are a quite a few things I like.

- Movement is very good

- The New revive Mechanics are strangely very engrossing, Looking around and reaching out to teammates, hoping for a squad mate.

- Weapons and vehicles both look and feel great (though I didnt fix my airplane controls so was **** in them)

- Getting in and out of vehicle animations is nice.

- The building mechanic is actually very useful, we tightly locked down a pathway to an objective with sandbags and used it as a centre point for medics and supports to heal and re arm people while they used the cover.

- The changes for spotting leads to a lot more chaos

Overall the only issues that massively stick out to me are:

- A lot of controls have changed, you cant just throw ammo or medkits to yourself, you got to hold down 5 to heal or supply yourself, to revive no longer requires you pull out a syringe or defib, just hold E over downed teammates or squadmates.

- The change to spotting makes snipers a bit more painful

- As per EVERY BF BETA EVER tanks feel overpowered initially cause the only anti tank weapon you start with is TNT which is hard to get on the tank.

- Not sure how much depth there is to the upgrade/company system, at the moment it just feels like the classic mod system just stretched out, but I reserve judgement til I get a bit further in.

- The game is really heavy on assignments, perhaps too up front and aggressive about it. If this is what live service is going to be

- I am a bit concerned about the customization system, you cant do it in game at the moment and if it wasnt for the class icons over their heads I struggle to identify the different classes (especially with the germans) and on the norway map everybody just looks like a blur of white and grey in a heated moment. If a hardcore mode shows up it'll will likely lead to a lot of friendly fire I imagine.

Maps seem fine, lots of destruction, though I really like the railway bridge structure on norway. Didnt play rotterdam as much but my brief visit saw lots of barricades going up all over the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Loving the beta.

Its feels like Battlefield... Where da **** have you been.

So many great moments I have already burnt out my console DVR from recording clips.

Health regen and ammo resupply mechanics are awesome. There is great team work in squads. I was fiddling with opening a door when a tank just drove through the entire side of the building, pure class.

Please don't **** it up EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭tripperman

Took a while to get into it but once I went into ea access clicked on open beta got in and was able to get a few rounds in,

Loved the gun play seems a lot different to bf1, the building fortifications is a good addition, came in very useful under the bridge in Rotterdam to add cover from snipers,

only problem I had was on narvic, my whole squad was complaining about it, once it started to snow we couldn't see anything and going in and out of building's made it harder to see, the snow was even falling in building's that wasn't damaged by the looks of it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

how many kills with a gun before you get new sights/scopes ?

jambofc wrote: »
    how many kills with a gun before you get new sights/scopes ?

you buy scopes using a universal currency by completing assignments.

But most guns came with 2-3 sights available right from the beginning.

Scopes are there you just have to scroll down for them.

Thats all i could edit in customizing the guns everything else is a skin.

Upgrades give you less recoil and found in the Company/Armoury section. I couldnt start assignments in game had to do it from the main screen.

The menus are a bit meh but tbh more interested in the game end of it.

Won and Lost in Tides of war from both sides so can see how it will change when players start to realize you can bottleneck the other team with good placement of structures. B in the 2nd wave was carnage everytime I played it.

Good carnage tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I played BF 1 at the weekend for the first time in nearly a year, it's worse then I remembered. Grenade spam, specifically gas and incendiary, behemoths, elites, one hit snipers, a lot of weapons feeling underpowered and overpowered planes are a few of the annoyances I came across in a few hours.

So BF V beta was a breath of fresh air. It looks great and I liked the maps. The guns, ttk and shooting mechanics felt good, some weapons felt off until I unlocked their upgrades though.

Wasn't sure about the attrition mechanic before I played but I think it's well done, looking out for ammo from dead players, killing a player with two or 3 rounds as they werent able to fully self heal.

The best new mechanic is probably the lack of spotting. Wasn't sure about this too but it's great. Feel like I got a lot more flanks thanks to someone in the distance not being able to spot you, alerting everyone to your exact position.

Still on the fence about bleeding out, wish there was a way to totally skip it rather than just speeding it up.

Oh anyone have a really annoying bug where your mouse stops working, keys still work but the mouse appears as a cursor on the game screen but doesnt move your dude.

• Advertisement

hitting escape has fixed that for me everytime

Advertisement