Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket World Cup Qualifiers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Afghanistan edging to victory.

That's a massive match for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Of far more importance. Afghanistan need 7 from 2 overs with one wicket in hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Afghanistan need 6 from 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

5 from 8

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

They'll need a boundary by the looks of it...
    Need 4 from the last over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

4 from 7

4 needed from the last over. All three outcomes very much possible.

An Afghan win or even a tie would suit us

Dot. 5 balls left

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I presume it goes to an Super Over and there is no tie possible? Anyone read the regs?

• Advertisement

3 needed from 4

3 needed for the win. 4 balls left

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Afghanistan.....so close!!!!

And done. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

GONE! Zimbabwe win by 2 runs.

All out. Dang.

KevIRL wrote: »
    4 wicket win and never in doubt at all really. Funny reading some of the hysterics here. That result will most likely not even matter in the overall scheme of things as it won't carry through to the super 6. Ireland could even have lost that and it not have any material impact on qualification chances.

At the same time if they'd lost today and then against the WI, it'd put a lot of pressure on the last match against UAE, and probably just to qualify for the 6. Think it was important to win, or that's how I'd read it anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Damn, that's a big pity for Afghanistan. What a disaster the match turned into and then to still give yourself a chance and lose by just 2 runs

At the same time if they'd lost today and then against the WI, it'd put a lot of pressure on the last match against UAE, and probably just to qualify for the 6. Think it was important to win, or that's how I'd read it anyway.

Yeah of course and it keeps our winning run going as well. Ultimately though our qualification centres on beating one of the windies and Zimbabwe while also beating holland (done), Afghanistan and Scotland. The UAE and PNG games are ones to just get out of the way and especially hope rain doesn't get in the way. We were in full control of that game today despite what you might have read here.

Yeah of course and it keeps our winning run going as well. Ultimately though our qualification centres on beating one of the windies and Zimbabwe while also beating holland (done), Afghanistan and Scotland. The UAE and PNG games are ones to just get out of the way and especially hope rain doesn't get in the way. We were in full control of that game today despite what you might have read here.

Oh absolutely, I was mostly following the other game at the end anyway. Performance wasn't great but probably to be expected after the good showing the other day. They do look to be in pretty good shape out there.

• Advertisement

Real pity for Ireland that Afghanistan didn't get there. Even taking a pessimistic view that we lose to the windies it would have meant ourselves, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Scotland going into the super 6 on four points. With all of those still having to play the West Indies. We'd then have a chance of qualifying by winning two of our super six games with NRR likely deciding things.

As things stand, if we do lose to the windies we will have to win all three of our super six games.

Course we could just go and beat the west Indies, who are our favourite of the established nations to play in terms of victories..

I've failed to find the regulations for this but everything is suggesting I was wrong and the tie was possible. There must be regulations somewhere out there for this though, anyone got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Real pity for Ireland that Afghanistan didn't get there. Even taking a pessimistic view that we lose to the windies it would have meant ourselves, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Scotland going into the super 6 on four points. With all of those still having to play the West Indies. We'd then have a chance of qualifying by winning two of our super six games with NRR likely deciding things.

As things stand, if we do lose to the windies we will have to win all three of our super six games.

Course we could just go and beat the west Indies, who are our favourite of the established nations to play in terms of victories..

With just the results between the three qualifiers to count it would actually be us on two points if we lose to the Windies. Afghanistan will now have 0 points and are out of it really and the winners of Zimbabwe / Scotland will have 4 and the other 2. It would have been nice if all of Group 2 came in with only 2 pts but we have our work cut out now. Maybe we'll get an early St Patrick's day present on Saturday!

minitrue wrote: »
    I've failed to find the regulations for this but everything is suggesting I was wrong and the tie was possible. There must be regulations somewhere out there for this though, anyone got a link?

Not sure, sorry, but have always been on the understanding that a super over came into play in the event of a tie. A tie would only apply in the event of a no result. Cant state that for a fact though.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    With just the results between the three qualifiers to count it would actually be us on two points if we lose to the Windies. Afghanistan will now have 0 points and are out of it really and the winners of Zimbabwe / Scotland will have 4 and the other 2. It would have been nice if all of Group 2 came in with only 2 pts but we have our work cut out now. Maybe we'll get an early St Patrick's day present on Saturday!

Sorry, yeah sub in 2 points for 4 in my post.

Never underestimate the power of the weather to cause chaos and Ireland Vs West Indies games have a bit of a track record of not happening ;) Saturday in Harare looks decidedly dodgy and a good load of rain on Sunday in Bulawayo followed up by some more rain on Monday could also have it in doubt. Might yet see Ireland, West Indies, Zimbabwe and Scotland all go through to the Super 6s with 3 points and Afghanistan and the Dutch 0 (assuming West Indies beat the Dutch in Harare on the Monday which looks safer).

Never underestimate the power of the weather to cause chaos and Ireland Vs West Indies games have a bit of a track record of not happening ;) Saturday in Harare looks decidedly dodgy and a good load of rain on Sunday in Bulawayo followed up by some more rain on Monday could also have it in doubt. Might yet see Ireland, West Indies, Zimbabwe and Scotland all go through to the Super 6s with 3 points and Afghanistan and the Dutch 0 (assuming West Indies beat the Dutch in Harare on the Monday which looks safer).

Great point. Weather still very likely to play a factor in this tournament. Hopefully in our favour.

Not sure, sorry, but have always been on the understanding that a super over came into play in the event of a tie. A tie would only apply in the event of a no result. Cant state that for a fact though.

Standard ODI regulations do not include a Super Over and official ICC tables list N/R and tied separately so I'd be fairly certain now there's no super overs except perhaps in the final. Of course not all these games are ODIs and the ODI regulations mention a points system with bonus points (though I guess they might be ignored on the grounds there aren't 3 or 4 ODI sides in this, there are 8, Nepal and the Netherlands the exceptions) so there must be specific regulations for this competition hiding somewhere.

Standard ODI regulations do not include a Super Over and official ICC tables list N/R and tied separately so I'd be fairly certain now there's no super overs except perhaps in the final. Of course not all these games are ODIs and the ODI regulations mention a points system with bonus points (though I guess they might be ignored on the grounds there aren't 3 or 4 ODI sides in this, there are 8, Nepal and the Netherlands the exceptions) so there must be specific regulations for this competition hiding somewhere.

Yes am sure there are, they are probably buried on the ICC website somewhere or in the media section, maybe need a special log in to access them. I thought there was a system in place for the super over at previous World Cups but probably only, as you suggest, for the later stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I know it's early days but have a few minutes of free time on my hands so thought I'd do up a Super Six table as it would stand right now. Results that count are as follows

Scotland 256/3 (47.2) beating Afghanistan 255 all out (49.4) by 7 wickets
    West Indies 357/4 (50.0) beating United Arab Emirates 297/6 (50.0) by 60 runs
    Zimbabwe 196 all out (43.0) beating Afghanistan 194 all out (49.3) by 2 runs

Position Team Played Won Lost No Result/Tied Net Run Rate Points
    1 West Indies 1 1 0 0 1.200 2
    2 Scotland 1 1 0 0 0.308 2
    3 Zimbabwe 1 1 0 0 0.040 2
    4 Ireland 0 0 0 0 0.000 0
    5 Afghanistan 2 0 2 0 -0.348 0
    6 United Arab Emirates 1 0 1 0 -1.200 0

Will update again after tomorrow's games.

Advertisement