Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket World Cup Qualifiers

Options
1474849505153»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Was there any real point in having a final for this tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Derco wrote: »
    How else do you suggest they find a winner?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well at least considering the teams in the tournament it offered the possibility of another precious full member ODI, which worked out brilliantly for the Afghans, two wins over WI this tournament

First Up wrote: »

It was a competition for the last two spots in the World Cup. No need for an overall winner. In other World Cups it may decide which group each team goes into but next years one will just have one group of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It was a competition for the last two spots in the World Cup. No need for an overall winner. In other World Cups it may decide which group each team goes into but next years one will just have one group of 10.

What's wrong with an auld Junior A cup?

• Advertisement

It didn't "need" an overall winner but why would you not want to have one?

It just seems pointless. A bit like the 3rd place play off at the football World Cup. Afghanistan will be happy with the ranking points but I doubt the Windies gave a toss either way.

It just seems pointless. A bit like the 3rd place play off at the football World Cup. Afghanistan will be happy with the ranking points but I doubt the Windies gave a toss either way.
    I agree that a 3d place play off is pointless (other than filling TV screens) but if top class competitive sportsmen enter a tournament, they expect to get a chance to win it.

I agree that a 3d place play off is pointless (other than filling TV screens) but if top class competitive sportsmen enter a tournament, they expect to get a chance to win it.

They already did

They already did
    Maybe you should look up what "competitive" means.

If you don't understand what having the chance to beat the West Indies means for Afghan cricketers, I think you need a new hobby.

• Advertisement

If it was just for the full members it might be a bit pointless, but every game is important for the associates*

*Are we still Associates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Bronze medals pointless then?

feargale wrote: »

The case being made was that there was no need for gold or silver.

feargale wrote: »

The case being made was that there was no need for gold or silver for this tournament.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

*Are we still Associates?

No, both ourselves & Afg are now full members.

TrueDub wrote: »
    No, both ourselves & Afg are now full members.

Going to need a new phrase to describe us now then..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Going to need a new phrase to describe us now then..

Really? Full members covers it.

It's ridiculous that the distinction even exists, but it's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

We're a full member in name only.

The odd game here and there.
    Chopping the World Cup to 10 teams is evidence of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Afghanistan on course to hammer the West Indies, 140/1 chasing 204

Was glad to see that the Afghans won. They seem to be a team on the up and should give a good account of themselves in the ODI World Cup.

But on the subject of this tournament in general, I can see no reason why ALL countries should not have to qualify. Could you envisage a batch of teams getting a bye straight though to the FIFA World Cup finals? No, they should all take their chances and qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

BarryD2 wrote: »
    But on the subject of this tournament in general, I can see no reason why ALL countries should not have to qualify. Could you envisage a batch of teams getting a bye straight though to the FIFA World Cup finals? No, they should all take their chances and qualify.

In fairness there's lots and lots of such tournaments in various sports where the Top X in the World on a certain date qualify, and the remainder of the places have to be fought for. Or where the Top X finishers from the previous event qualify. The cricket format isn't that unusual.

Really it's just the numbers of auto qualifiers which is wrong - 8 of 10 is too much and if they had instead limited it to just the Top6 or even Top4 in the World it would have been better as it would also have made every one day series that bit more competitive. And put the rest into the qualifiers along with the associates etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

In fairness there's lots and lots of such tournaments in various sports where the Top X in the World on a certain date qualify, and the remainder of the places have to be fought for. Or where the Top X finishers from the previous event qualify. The cricket format isn't that unusual.

Really it's just the numbers of auto qualifiers which is wrong - 8 of 10 is too much and if they had instead limited it to just the Top6 or even Top4 in the World it would have been better as it would also have made every one day series that bit more competitive. And put the rest into the qualifiers along with the associates etc.

Rugby operates in a similar way, the top 3 from each of the 2015 pools qualify automatically, ergo Georgia have qualified automatically for 2019 RWC.

The real issue with cricket is that they reduced the ODI world cup to 10 teams just when they expanded the number of full members to 12
    Rather than growing the game they are looking to consolidate around the biggest countries.

The argument that there was too many games in the last world cup is a nonsense, the new format is 1 game less in total. With one group of 10 teams and only the top 4 spots for semi finals there will be loads of dead rubbers in it.

The ICC are using the same format for the 2023 World Cup too which is a huge mistake as it basically rules out the chances of any associates to make it.
    So the impact that Ireland had as an associate in 2007 beating Pakistan, beating England in 2011, West Indies in 2015 will probably never happen again, unless the format is changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Looking from the outside it all seems so horribly elitist and shortsighted. Of course major finals should, by their nature, be elitist, but if growing the game is to be anything more than a token desire, then there has to be a balance struck and allowances made. As a non-rugby fan, I can barely remember the latter stages of the last World Cup while the performances of several of the emerging nations captured my imagination and left a warm lingering glow in the memory.

Advertisement