Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

lolie wrote: »
    Horrible day out, very heavy rail and hailstones falling now.

There appears to be a very distinct squall line feature embedded within the front at the moment.

450479.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly 15mm of rain so far in Castlebar today with some hail mixed in at times, temperature as good as halved during one shower.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've had to put the heat and lights on. Days don't get much worse than this. Currently 9C with a reel feel of 5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've had to put the heat and lights on. Days don't get much worse than this. Currently 9C with a reel feel of 5C.

I don't often put my heating on but today is just cold and horrible that I had to. You'd forget that we're in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Last week or so have had to get the 2nd duvet out. Cold at night and wake up freezing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Yeah same here, 1st time ever since we built the house, the stove is on in the middle of may, just had an incredible shower of rain to, rotten day, feels like im living in clonmel.

Only messing Clonmel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

Slightly off-topic but do most people still not have thermostats in their houses for heating so that heating turns itself on whenever the temperature in any given zone/room drops below a predetermined level?

Everything self regulates and the house stays at the temperature you desire without having to manually switch the heating on when it gets cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

I'm pretty sure I remember days as bad or almost as bad as this last July! Get used to a lot of disappointment over the next few months folks! It's the hope that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sun is back!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Severe weather at just after 2pm in Dublin. Very heavy rainfall. I was in Dublin 9 at the time. My mother said it was extremely windy in Dublin 5 but I feel like she was exaggerating because I didn't notice the wind in D9 so surely I would've felt it if it was that bad. The downpour left massive puddles in its wake and it didn't even last long.

Sunny spells now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Temperature dropped 4 degrees in a matter of seconds a while ago. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Severe weather at just after 2pm in Dublin. Very heavy rainfall. I was in Dublin 9 at the time. My mother said it was extremely windy in Dublin 5 but I feel like she was exaggerating because I didn't notice the wind in D9 so surely I would've felt it if it was that bad. The downpour left massive puddles in its wake and it didn't even last long.

Sunny spells now.

No severe weather in Inchicore, D8 today. A short spell of moderate to heavy rain, then light rain until it began to clear up in the past hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

5.8mm of rain overnight and this morning in West Clare, but it's very sunny the past few hours, albeit it breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

16/17 degrees here in Cork City and the sun is shining! Only since about 2/3pm though, the morning up until 12pm was cold, windy and very wet.

highdef wrote: »
    No severe weather in Inchicore, D8 today. A short spell of moderate to heavy rain, then light rain until it began to clear up in the past hour.

It wasn't really severe in D9 but my mother says it was in D5. The rain was not moderate for sure though, it was very heavy in D9. If there was a very strong wind, then it would've been pretty severe if you were driving or doing something similar. There was drizzle mostly before the short spell of heavy rain. The puddles are unbelievably big when you take into account how quickly they built up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'm pretty sure I remember days as bad or almost as bad as this last July! Get used to a lot of disappointment over the next few months folks! It's the hope that kills you.

Don’t worry someone will be on shortly to tell you it’s a beautiful day.

highdef wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic but do most people still not have thermostats in their houses for heating so that heating turns itself on whenever the temperature in any given zone/room drops below a predetermined level?

Everything self regulates and the house stays at the temperature you desire without having to manually switch the heating on when it gets cold.

Nope.

Don’t worry someone will be on shortly to tell you it’s a beautiful day.

Well...it is quite a nice day here in West Clare :)

For March maybe. Temps down to near freezing tonight folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

In light of low solar activity, I've decided to lower my expectations of Spring / Summer 2018. Today, there was a deluge of rain here in Galway for the morning, but it brightened up really nicely afterwards. The temperatures are not as they should be, but any day that allows me to have my two young boys out playing outside in sunshine for any portion of time will get a thumbs up :-)

• Advertisement

Carol25 wrote: »
    In light of low solar activity, I've decided to lower my expectations of Spring / Summer 2018. Today, there was a deluge of rain here in Galway for the morning, but it brightened up really nicely afterwards. The temperatures are not as they should be, but any day that allows me to have my two young boys out playing outside in sunshine for any portion of time will get a thumbs up :-)

There's little correlation for Summer and solar activity. For instance, Summer 1976 was in solar minimum and 1995 was one year before it.

For March maybe. Temps down to near freezing tonight folks.

To be honest, there's little weather that's typical for Ireland for any time of the year. The summer is marginally drier, sunnier and warmer, but to be honest the difference between January, March, May or October is not particularly pronounced.

Speaking to a few farmers today they are at their wits end with the weather other than a couple of days last weekend the talk is of it being wet since last September and if it’s not wet it’s cold. All anecdotal and opinion I know. My west Clare friend is bang on the money above though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Are we still on for heatwave number 3 towards the end of next week?

Are we still on for heatwave number 3 towards the end of next week?

ECM still showing the high pressure ridging over us from Tuesday to Friday next week before the Atlantic takes over again.

Hz5ht3h.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great sunshine here near Tralee from mid morning and cloud lessened as the day went on but feeling quite cool in the wind, only reached 13.5C and down to a chilly 7.8C now.

14mm in the gauge from when rain started yesterday evening, 10mm from midnight ( a few big showers during the first half of the day ).

Pic at 18.30

ODkaD6F.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

sryanbruen wrote: »
    There's little correlation for Summer and solar activity. For instance, Summer 1976 was in solar minimum and 1995 was one year before it.

Thanks, I'm just hoping for something that isn't a washout!

Carol25 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm just hoping for something that isn't a washout!

I just want a good sunny Summer at least, haven't had one since 2014. Looking at the outlooks going by what I've posted in the Summer thread, I don't hold my breath for that. My forecast will be on Tuesday, May 29th and I can tell ya now, not looking forward to it. Struggling to come up with it.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I just want a good sunny Summer at least, haven't had one since 2014. Looking at the outlooks going by what I've posted in the Summer thread, I don't hold my breath for that. My forecast will be on Tuesday, May 29th and I can tell ya now, not looking forward to it. Struggling to come up with it.

A sunny summer will be excellent but at this point I'll be happy with a dry June and August even if they're dull. I'm going to London for 5 days in mid August so I hope I experience one of those Spanish plumes where temperatures get up to near 35C. I wouldn't like the heat but it would be something memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

This mornings convective cloud is staying west of the Wicklow Mountains leaving the Eastern Coastal strip including Bray in clear Blue skies thankfully. Bit of a nip in the air near the Seafront mind.

Advertisement