Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

I'm a complete stranger to weather predictions, but from windy.com and everything else I've read, yeah tonight is just more of this, but Emma hits with a vengeance Thursday evening... Is that wrong?

You're pretty much on the money... Next 24hours really depends on where you are and then Emma will bring more widespread snowfall over a much large area*.

* still some uncertainty what consistency the snow will be in various areas. could be very wet snow on the south coast for example and full on powder inland. models and forecasters really struggle with that level of granularity.

see https://weather.us/model-charts/swisshd-eu/ireland/significant-weather/20180228-1200z.html

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Snowing on and off all morning here in Lusk and adding to the overnight fall... I'd say by later today it won't be far off 2010 levels - so happy to experience this again!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Total blizzard conditions in Sligo...except that there's no snow:D

The icy wind cuts you in half though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Further north in Dublin are starting to do very well.

Clear shift in the wind again with the streamers beginning to move more East to West now. The m50 a mile to my North is the lowest limit of those heavy returns - so localised.

Will be interesting to see the Irish sea in 2 hours with realignment of thw streamers. Those who were in the IOM shadow could start seeing something falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Spotted a visiting Redwing in the garden :)

d7LQZdQ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

things looking better for me now with that IOM shadow shifting north a bit!

haven't seen any proper snow flakes here yet today, just lots of graupel and some thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Moderate snow, big flakes. A person on my road was shoveling but he gave up when the snow intensified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

DP of -13C currently in Castlebar, absolutely bitter in a moderate easterly breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Gonzo wrote: »

haven't seen any proper snow flakes here yet today, just lots of graupel and some thunder.

We've had precip all morning maybe 15km further southeast and it's been mostly graupel. Then again you are much further inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

joes girls wrote: »
    Please make this Sun go away it's melting my lovely snow
    Melting fairly quick here in East Meath too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Not here in Arklow
    No snow
    The suns out
    Temp above zero and rising rapidly in sunshine despite the uppers at record lows
    Yesterday’s tiny dusting melting
    No hope of streamers here
    Photo attached
    You may test the thanks button on this post for moral support
    Yours in trauma
    George

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

snowing for the last hour

Newcastle Dublin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

-4C in Cork and covered in snow :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yours in trauma
    George

Oh dear!

Sunny here in Dublin 16, but -0.9c with 13cm of (level) snow on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Constant snow in dublin 5. Cleared the driveway earlier and already filling up again

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Dublin 15...Blanchardstown/Castleknock......a lot more now. About 15 cm so far and more on the way.

How do you measure snow, just stick a measuring tape in? I'm in Ashtown and it looks the same as you have but it's about 6-7 cm max. Do you have make an allowance because it compacts or something?

Met Éireann new warning:
    STATUS RED

Snow-ice Warning for Munster and Leinster
    Blizzard-like conditions will develop in heavy snow and strong easterly winds on Thursday evening and will continue Thursday night and Friday morning giving significant snow drifts in many areas.

Issued:Wednesday 28 February 2018 11:00
    Valid:Thursday 01 March 2018 16:00 to Friday 02 March 2018 12:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Ppn at its extreme southern limit here on the Dublin streamer, so a few pepperings of graupel every now and again with the sun popping out between cumulus clouds. Might be just far north to steal another shower or two in the next few hours. Forecasts spot on (also MT) with streamers north of bray.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Xenji wrote: »
    DP of -13C currently in Castlebar, absolutely bitter in a moderate easterly breeze.

Where do you get your info for castlebar out of interest? Do you have your own weather station?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Snowing like mad in Longford at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Not here in Arklow
    No snow
    The suns out
    Temp above zero and rising rapidly in sunshine despite the uppers at record lows
    Yesterday’s tiny dusting melting
    No hope of streamers here
    Photo attached
    You may test the thanks button on this post for moral support
    Yours in trauma
    George

I'm not far away
    Same story
    Just light showers blowing in the wind
    I hold hope for tomorrow

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

patneve2 wrote: »
    Ppn at its extreme southern limit here on the Dublin streamer, so a few pepperings of graupel every now and again with the sun popping out between cumulus clouds. Might be just far north to steal another shower or two in the next few hours. Forecasts spot on (also MT) with streamers north of bray.

Yeah....East wind not the best for south Dublin.

Nothing from GL in the last while. Wonder if he's ok:

4e5fefeba33866eb01b973431a23ec9f.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wooo, finally snowing properly in |Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Struggling to keep up with all the posts but I haven't seen much reports from the north midlands. I'm in northeast Offaly and it is incessant here. Reckon 8-9 inches lying snow and continuing to fall.

Hard to believe how localised the heavier stuff is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Where do you get your info for castlebar out of interest? Do you have your own weather station?

I have access to data from where I work, if you get the Weather Underground App you can link it to to some personal stations around Castlebar as well and see there readings in real time.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Further north in Dublin are starting to do very well.

Clear shift in the wind again with the streamers beginning to move more East to West now. The m50 a mile to my North is the lowest limit of those heavy returns - so localised.

Will be interesting to see the Irish sea in 2 hours with realignment of thw streamers. Those who were in the IOM shadow could start seeing something falling.

Good for here in Dundalk so. Haven't done too badly up to now. About 4cm or so. An easterly would be even better again though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Being sent home at one, no class tomorrow and maybe not Friday either.

Still sunny enough in Bisopstown, snow on the ground, -4 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

The back garden...plenty of snow here in Meath east.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah....East wind not the best for south Dublin.

Should still get some action today i think. But probably not at the same level as yesterday...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement