Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

gypsy79 wrote: »
    My monday round from corballis still hasn’t come through. Who would that be in corballis or my home club?

Are you checking the golf Ireland website or where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Exactly wrote: »
    Are you checking the golf Ireland website or where?

Yes, do my home club need to do anything?

Yes, do my home club need to do anything?

Not that I'm aware. Should be updated at midnight once score is returned.

I'm playing there today. Will see if mine gets uploaded tomorrow.

Not that I'm aware. Should be updated at midnight once score is returned.

I'm playing there today. Will see if mine gets uploaded tomorrow.

But there is no open today

Still be interested to hear the process for declaring round etc

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

No. Only qualifying rounds will go up
    I thought all competitions now whther they be 9 or 18 holes are to be included in your new handicap index. I could upload a casual round and would that be counted?

• Advertisement

Neewollah wrote: »
    I thought all competitions now whther they be 9 or 18 holes are to be included in your new handicap index. I could upload a casual round and would that be counted?

If they are declared before. Played under qualifying conditions accompanied and signed by another gui golfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

If they are declared before. Played under qualifying conditions accompanied and signed by another gui golfer

This might be a stupid question but why aren't comps qualifying if I can play a casual qualifying round?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,836 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

and there must be at least 8 others playing the same day

This might be a stupid question but why aren't comps qualifying if I can play a casual qualifying round?

competition local rules?
    number of holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Seve OB wrote: »
    competition local rules?
    number of holes?

When I go to computer to sign in for comp it also has option to sign in for casual round.

I assumed it was there but not in use until qualifying is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

I played last sunday - weather was woeful. We signed into the competition because we thought we could get 18 in. While out on the course the weather got even worse, we found 2 greens to be completely waterlogged and therefore unplayable. I ended up stopping after 12 holes and not submitting a card.

Weather cleared up a bit and lads went out and played in the afternoon - what happens to the competition in that case? Are the scores qualifying as guys managed to make it around later in the day

But there is no open today

Still be interested to hear the process for declaring round etc

Played a casual round for handicap purposes. Signed in beforehand and returned card when finished. Playing partners did the same. Felt just like a competition to be honest because we were all in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

Anyone else not seeing club comp results coming in on HDID?
    Just one comp result posted since resumption on competitions for Corballis. Results are up on Golfireland though

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Am I the only one who is finding the new system absolutely awful in regards to transparency? Is there actually nowhere (outside of the thread on this forum) where I can see a list of slope ratings for Golf courses in ireland?

wardides wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is finding the new system absolutely awful in regards to transparency? Is there actually nowhere (outside of the thread on this forum) where I can see a list of slope ratings for Golf courses in ireland?

why does the absence of a list of slopes lack transparency?

i mean, was there ever any kind of official list of golf courses in Ireland before and why does there need to be now?

you can look most of them up on the golfnet website as ever

all course and slope ratings are available from the clubs themselves. im sure in time the club info that is in golfnet will transfer to the new website and possibly update with the slope and course ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

The new system is gas, 34 points last weekend and went from 8.1 to 8.7

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

i mean, was there ever any kind of official list of golf courses in Ireland before and why does there need to be now?

all course and slope ratings are available from the clubs themselves. im sure in time the club info that is in golfnet will transfer to the new website and possibly update with the slope and course ratings

I don't think that's a fair characterisation of the situation. From what I've heard the communication from Golf Ireland to the clubs about WHS has not been great.

To the person who asked; the official database of course ratings is here: https://ncrdb.usga.org/ or here: https://www.randa.org/chc-lookup for any country including Ireland. I couldn't find that on the Golf Ireland website, but it may be there somewhere.

In my experience, from my own club, a lack of transparency and explanation about WHS has prevailed. This is due I think to lack of willingness to explain to members (people are sensitive about their handicaps apparently) and lack of understanding of the system on the part of the handicap secretary. It wasn't discussed recently at our AGM for example. However, in the current environment (Covid19) I am willing to cut them a bit of slack. There will be a few months of non-qualifying competitions to let everyone get used to WHS. At the moment, the handicap index is being printed on our cards when we sign in, which to me doesn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Stacksey wrote: »
    The new system is gas, 34 points last weekend and went from 8.1 to 8.7

Well it is a rolling average, you must have had a good score drop out of your range

Pdoghue wrote: »
    I don't think that's a fair characterisation of the situation.

I was simply answering the question posed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I put in a casual round on Saturday and shot 37 points. Will I see the effect of this on my handicap on HDID? Or will I see it when I next sign into a competition? I reckon I could have a slight cut from it, so don't want to put in the wrong handicap when I play next!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Considering one of the main concepts of the new handicap system is based around your handicap changing depending on the difficulty of the course, I would have assumed one of the first things they would do would put (on golf ireland or golfnet) a very simple PDF of courses in Ireland and their slopes?

The second piece around previously having a list is pointless considering we never had a handicap system where your handicap system changed depending on the course rating.

Played in 3 different clubs and not one (including my home club) have their slope rating visible anywhere. Nor has been well published how to calculate your actual playing handicap. (I am aware how to do it, but played with several who haven't a clue).

It just seems like a bit of a shambolic transfer of a very important feature of competitive golf.

Playing Kileen next week. Went onto their website. Onto golf net. No sign of slope rating? Happy to be proven wrong but I couldn't find it despite going through a few links.

blue note wrote: »
    I put in a casual round on Saturday and shot 37 points. Will I see the effect of this on my handicap on HDID? Or will I see it when I next sign into a competition? I reckon I could have a slight cut from it, so don't want to put in the wrong handicap when I play next!

Golf Ireland website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

wardides wrote: »
    Considering one of the main concepts of the new handicap system is based around your handicap changing depending on the difficulty of the course, I would have assumed one of the first things they would do would put (on golf ireland or golfnet) a very simple PDF of courses in Ireland and their slopes?

The second piece around previously having a list is pointless considering we never had a handicap system where your handicap system changed depending on the course rating.

Played in 3 different clubs and not one (including my home club) have their slope rating visible anywhere. Nor has been well published how to calculate your actual playing handicap. (I am aware how to do it, but played with several who haven't a clue).

It just seems like a bit of a shambolic transfer of a very important feature of competitive golf.

Playing Kileen next week. Went onto their website. Onto golf net. No sign of slope rating? Happy to be proven wrong but I couldn't find it despite going through a few links.
    All of the course slope ratings can be got on
    https://ncrdb.usga.org/
    Here's Killeen https://ncrdb.usga.org/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=22756
    Slope of 126, 128, 131 off the different tees.

Golf Ireland website

If hdid isn't going to update for casual rounds are they going to abandon the handicap thing altogether? No point in having it if it's not going to be right.

If hdid isn't going to update for casual rounds are they going to abandon the handicap thing altogether? No point in having it if it's not going to be right.

Your handicap is not recorded on HDID.
    It is recorded on golf Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

HDID and others no longer have anything to do with your handicap. They are now just competition software. Golf Ireland do all the calculations now

Your handicap is not recorded on HDID.
    It is recorded on golf Ireland.

I know the gui is the official source. But hdid has always correctly shown my handicap. It's what the computers are linked to in the golf clubs I reckon so it's fair to say that clubs rely on it. I don't know if hdid was linked to gui site or if it calculated the handicaps based on what was entered into them. But it was always someplace you could find your handicap and if you can't still then it just won't work. And lots of clubs will need a new system for recording scores.

I'm just going to assume it'll update for casual golf too. I'm sure they've thought of it.

But it was always someplace you could find your handicap and if you can't still then it just won't work.

But you just go to golf Ireland to find your handicap so of course it will work

But you just go to golf Ireland to find your handicap so of course it will work

Golf Ireland isn't working for me - some problem with my PIN. But more importantly, why would I use two sites? I'll have HDID anyway for scores. I might as well just get my handicap from there.

I still can't imagine that HDID hasn't synced up with it. They'd have to close their business if they haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

HDID and others no longer have anything to do with your handicap. They are now just competition software. Golf Ireland do all the calculations now

I assume these providers have the ability to query golf ireland via an API to get the HI?

Is there a possibility to sync a set of GUIDs or is the call a one call per GUID (done at competition entry time)?

Any limits on the quantity of API calls?

Advertisement