Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

blue note wrote: »
    Golf Ireland isn't working for me - some problem with my PIN. But more importantly, why would I use two sites? I'll have HDID anyway for scores. I might as well just get my handicap from there.

I still can't imagine that HDID hasn't synced up with it. They'd have to close their business if they haven't.

Corballis don’t have any results on HowDidiDo since change over so there may be still some issues

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Golf Ireland isn't working for me - some problem with my PIN. But more importantly, why would I use two sites? I'll have HDID anyway for scores. I might as well just get my handicap from there.

I still can't imagine that HDID hasn't synced up with it. They'd have to close their business if they haven't.

you don't really get it do you.

what do you do about your scores when you play somewhere that doesn't uses HowDidIDo?

And I don't think he HDID business model relies on being able to show your HI. There is a lot more to them than that

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Corballis don’t have any results on HowDidiDo since change over so there may be still some issues

I played a casual round in Corballis and my HI was updated the next morning on Golf Ireland. A nice .2 reduction as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Exactly wrote: »
    I played a casual round in Corballis and my HI was updated the next morning on Golf Ireland. A nice .2 reduction as well ;)
    Did you just declare it before hand?

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Did you just declare it before hand?

Yes. You have to sign into the computer (ClubV1 in this case) before you play your round that you are playing a casual round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

You must have played 18 so? Was told in the Corballis club house on Sunday that "the system" can't cater for 9 or 12 casual round holes yet. An update will be required and it will take a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I assume these providers have the ability to query golf ireland via an API to get the HI?

Its not a case of what the ISV's (HDID, Masterscoreboard etc) can do, it's what they are allowed to do. Golf Ireland have been very clear in the licence aggreement, all ISV's are 100% not allow to show any Handicap Index or Handicap History anywhere. The only time they can show a H.I. is at player entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Seve OB wrote: »
    you don't really get it do you.

what do you do about your scores when you play somewhere that doesn't uses HowDidIDo?

And I don't think he HDID business model relies on being able to show your HI. There is a lot more to them than that

I really don't. In the past I played in other courses that didn't use HDID. And my handicap on HDID always seemed to be updated anyway.

If you don't get an accurate handicap prompted by HDID when you log into a comp then they have a serious problem. And all the clubs do as well, they'll have to go back to printing out handicaps before every comp or something. Although that won't work for visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

I assume these providers have the ability to query golf ireland via an API to get the HI?

Is there a possibility to sync a set of GUIDs or is the call a one call per GUID (done at competition entry time)?

Any limits on the quantity of API calls?

Where is this API? I am sure it is licenced and not freely available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Are they going to continue to print the index on your card as opposed to your playing handicap?

• Advertisement

I really don't. In the past I played in other courses that didn't use HDID. And my handicap on HDID always seemed to be updated anyway.

If you don't get an accurate handicap prompted by HDID when you log into a comp then they have a serious problem. And all the clubs do as well, they'll have to go back to printing out handicaps before every comp or something. Although that won't work for visitors.

HDID is the front face of Club Systems software, the part that the player can see online. HDID is no longer ALLOWED to show your handicap, this is a directive from Golf Ireland, which I hope they roll back on.

The backend of HDID is ClubV1, this is what is used to run the player entry on the screens, that is allowed to show your H.I. at sign in (also allowed if you are using digital sign on their app)
    manster wrote: »
    Where is this API? I am sure it is licenced and not freely available.

You must have a WHS ISV licence
    Are they going to continue to print the index on your card as opposed to your playing handicap?

That is a decison for each club, they set the printing parameters themselves

HDID is the front face of Club Systems software, the part that the player can see online. HDID is no longer ALLOWED to show your handicap, this is a directive from Golf Ireland, which I hope they roll back on.

The backend of HDID is ClubV1, this is what is used to run the player entry on the screens, that is allowed to show your H.I. at sign in (also allowed if you are using digital sign on their app)

Any idea why they are not allowing HDID show your handicap online? Are they just hoping to generate a bit of traffic for advertising revenue or something? Surely they could just charge HDID a licence fee for it or something?

So am I right in saying that you'll get your correct handicap index when signing into a comp in a club? Or signing into casual golf through the app. But they can't show your handicap in the handicap section anymore? So you won't get that little graph showing it going up and down over a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

My index is correct on HDID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Exactly wrote: »
    Yes. You have to sign into the computer (ClubV1 in this case) before you play your round that you are playing a casual round.
    Nice, some weeks I'd struggle to get into the comps but this could still allow me to keep trying to lower my HC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I played 9 hole comp. hdid had 23.9 whi 25. Pro shop said play of hdid. Hdid then dropped to 23.7 after that round. Now hdid says 25 same as whi. I have only 8 scores so it taking my best 2

Any idea why they are not allowing HDID show your handicap online? Are they just hoping to generate a bit of traffic for advertising revenue or something? Surely they could just charge HDID a licence fee for it or something?

No idea but that would be my guess. Lots of clubs very unhappy with it, I would not be surprised to see it on the agenda as a motion at Feb's AGM
    So am I right in saying that you'll get your correct handicap index when signing into a comp in a club? Or signing into casual golf through the app. But they can't show your handicap in the handicap section anymore? So you won't get that little graph showing it going up and down over a year.

Yes for club competitions but I am 90% sure that casual golf is only allowed throgh the terminal at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Any idea why they are not allowing HDID show your handicap online?

GDPR maybe?

Keith C wrote: »
    I played 9 hole comp. hdid had 23.9 whi 25. Pro shop said play of hdid. Hdid then dropped to 23.7 after that round. Now hdid says 25 same as whi. I have only 8 scores so it taking my best 2

You are playing a 9 hole comp. There is a calc to get to 9 hole using 9 hole slope, 9 hole rating and par

So suspect you misunderstand and HDID is correct

You are playing a 9 hole comp. There is a calc to get to 9 hole using 9 hole slope, 9 hole rating and par

So suspect you misunderstand and HDID is correct

I was thinking the same

9 hole

(HI x Slope/113) - (course rating - par) with double rounding

RoadRunner wrote: »
    GDPR maybe?

No, wouldn't make sense. I'm sure by joining the gui you're giving them permission to share your info (handicap, name, home club) with other parties as is reasonable. And a site like hdid would be reasonable.

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    GDPR maybe?

I think Golfgraffix has gone into it before but he feels like GUI plan to monetise the handicap much data a lot more than previously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Under the new WHS I am 11.3 and get 8 shots on our course over 12 holes, my friend is 11.2 and only get 7 :D

I think Golfgraffix has gone into it before but he feels like GUI plan to monetise the handicap much data a lot more than previously

Just a hunch, nothing official but it would make sense and you cant blame them.

My problem was it was done very underhand, clubs were never told. That in adddition to them adding a €50 fee to each club for the privalage of not allowing clubs access to their own data is wrong IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,784 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I still don't have a feel for it. Kinda hard with covid. Fair play Golfgraffix great knowledge.

As an outsider . It seems very complicated. Played with a lad other day and he had gained shots very quickly, then with the 9 hole calculation he genuinely had a joke of a handicap for his ability.

Early days .

How will the like of the junior Cup be adjusted ?

I think people are in for a surprise how much their handicap has changed and can change.

Is crazy all these website I've to go to and my handicap not on my club website is a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Some notorious players in our club have been shooting very poor scores for the last 5 or 6 months. Never breaking 30. Yet in non qualifying competitions, shoot great scores. They are obviously inflating their handicap indexs as much as possible for inter clubs in 2021.

Would this be happening in most clubs??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Some notorious players in our club have been shooting very poor scores for the last 5 or 6 months. Never breaking 30. Yet in non qualifying competitions, shoot great scores. They are obviously inflating their handicap indexs as much as possible for inter clubs in 2021.

Would this be happening in most clubs??

Are people really this sad? I find it hard to believe to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Are people really this sad? I find it hard to believe to be honest

I thanked this post but then thought to myself....... what am I thanking?

Is the the guy who thinks the previous post is a bit sad, as in just let people get on with their game and worry about your own.

Or is it the guy who finds it hard to believe that there are lads out there inflating their handicap just so they can get on teams and shine.

Probably both.

Who cares?

Just play the game, enjoy it, and don’t worry about anyone else’s game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Both!

I find it hard to believe that people are sad enough to intentionally put in bad scores for half a year just so they could potentially make a team next year

I won our December medal with a nett 66, which before WHS would have given me at least 1.2 cut but under WHS I only got a .3 cut.

The adjusted gross of 3 knocked an adjusted gross of 5.1 out of my top twenty scores.

Can’t decide if it’s a good thing or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Can casual rounds be played anytime of the year or just during summer when there is no lift clean & place etc.

Advertisement