Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

We print all 3 on our cards (or will do when we are are back using cards)

There's no need for all 3, that's just going to get confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Printing your index on the card is wrong imo. When you sign in, the computer should know what the tees you're off and what format you're playing and should print your playing handicap on the card.

That's what I thought. It hasn't been very well communicated in our club anyway. It's being treated like it's the third secret of Fatima.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i think it is quite transparent and not at all confusing

just printing the HI can lead to more confusion.

I played at the weekend, first comp, 13 holes. Pro shop always signs us in (long before covid) but lots of times no stickers :( none at all this year as far as i can recall.
    I hadn't a clue what my handicap for the day was..... still don't haha. I just marked my scores and stuck them in the computer at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Id say the complete opposite. Having all 3 leaves no room for doubt.

Seve OB wrote: »
    i think it is quite transparent and not at all confusing

just printing the HI can lead to more confusion.

Exactly, no need for the handicap index, just playing handicap is all that is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Exactly, no need for the handicap index, just playing handicap is all that is required.

Agreed.

Any links players here? How is the whs working out so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Member of Arklow but haven't had a chance to get out since our return to golf. My HC went from 19 to 23 off the Blues and 21 off the Whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Pretty sure it is the Course Handicap that goes on the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played Saturday, had 35pts off 9, didn't think it would effect the handicap but there was a PCC of 3 because of the wind and soft conditions I think. worked out a gross diff of 8.1 so got cut .4. I have never got cut .4 for 35pts before.

love the way the new system updates everynight thought, the old system used only update at the end of the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

etxp wrote: »
    Played Saturday, had 35pts off 9, didn't think it would effect the handicap but there was a PCC of 3 because of the wind and soft conditions I think. worked out a gross diff of 8.1 so got cut .4. I have never got cut .4 for 35pts before.

love the way the new system updates everynight thought, the old system used only update at the end of the competition.

I suppose what you get cut depends on what score is being eliminated from your most recent 20. So you could have the same score next week under same conditions with a PCC of 3 but may not get cut at all because of the score you will be replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Golfer365

Are any clubs using the handicap allowances? Like 95% for individual stroke or stableford.

We are just using handicap index for the moment as competitions are non qualifying. But when we do go to qualifying in 2021, will the software show the HI, Course Handicap and handicap allowance on the card or will they have be to worked out by the player? We use ClubV1.

Are the handicap allowances mandatory or optional? The word recommended makes it confusing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Golfer365 wrote: »
    Are any clubs using the handicap allowances? Like 95% for individual stroke or stableford.

We are just using handicap index for the moment as competitions are non qualifying. But when we do go to qualifying in 2021, will the software show the HI, Course Handicap and handicap allowance on the card or will they have be to worked out by the player? We use ClubV1.

Are the handicap allowances mandatory or optional? The word recommended makes it confusing imo.

Yeah. We are currently playing 13 hole stableford non-qualifying voucher competitions and we are using the 95% allowance.

I suppose what you get cut depends on what score is being eliminated from your most recent 20. So you could have the same score next week under same conditions with a PCC of 3 but may not get cut at all because of the score you will be replacing

Yea it replaced a 10.1 differential so that's where the cut came from, still a weird feeling to get cut for 35pts tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

I know I saw it somewhere before but can't find it now.

WHS has me down for best 3 from 10 rounds
    I know once 20 rounds are in it'll be best 8 of 20

what happens in between? i.e. will it be best 4 of 12, best 5 of 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I know I saw it somewhere before but can't find it now.

WHS has me down for best 3 from 10 rounds
    I know once 20 rounds are in it'll be best 8 of 20

what happens in between? i.e. will it be best 4 of 12, best 5 of 15?

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/Content/rules/5%202%20Calculation%20of%20a%20Handicap%20Index.htm

i don't get you. sure the old system was updated every night also as long as your club closed the competition off, but in fairness sometimes it would be the next morning before the comps were closed as it might be late before all scores are in and staff have places to go. it is not going to be any different now.

I played my first comp in corballis last night and it appears it hasnt gone through

Do we still need wait till comp is closed?

i don't get you. sure the old system was updated every night also as long as your club closed the competition off, but in fairness sometimes it would be the next morning before the comps were closed as it might be late before all scores are in and staff have places to go. it is not going to be any different now.

Our competitions run over a weekend and competition wouldn't be closed until the last day. whether that was right or wrong I don't know. The new system does this automatically I'm guessing where as the old required someone to go in and do it at the end of each day.

Old way:
    Play comp Friday handicap is not adjusted until Sunday night

Edit: could also be that the comp/handicap sec. happened to close it on the Saturday and that it will carry on as it always did for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

One thing re the 95%, when you play in a Sunday comp you’re essentially playing two different rounds off possibly two different handicaps.

One is a stroke round off your CH counting towards your HI, the other is a Stableford round off 95% of your course handicap.

Say a golfer with a HI of 15.5 has a CH of 17 which will give him 16 for the competition. He’s got a short putt for double bogey on the index 17 but picks up knowing it’s for 0 points.

For handicap purposes it’ll be recorded as a nett double bogey when in fact he’d a tap in for a nett bogey

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Bit confusing initially with 3 different numbers. HI, CH & the 95% but fellas weren’t long getting used to it. I’ve played 5 counting rounds since reopening, 2 9s & 3 19s. My HI has increased by 1.1 Course plays long in the winter and add in low temps and high winds

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Golfer365

Our competitions run over a weekend and competition wouldn't be closed until the last day. whether that was right or wrong I don't know. The new system does this automatically I'm guessing where as the old required someone to go in and do it at the end of each day.

Old way:
    Play comp Friday handicap is not adjusted until Sunday night

Edit: could also be that the comp/handicap sec. happened to close it on the Saturday and that it will carry on as it always did for me.

You are right in your assumption. New system will update every night and PCC will be calculated, whereas the old required the competition to be closed manually in order to calculate CSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Neewollah

Have played 2 11 hole comps in my local club since restart. I assume these are supposed to be included in the new WHS calculations. Neither have been uploaded to my golf login

Neewollah wrote: »
    Have played 2 11 hole comps in my local club since restart. I assume these are supposed to be included in the new WHS calculations. Neither have been uploaded to my golf login

No. Only qualifying rounds will go up

My monday round from corballis still hasn’t come through. Who would that be in corballis or my home club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

How can you register and enter a casual round at a club other than your home one? anyone know

How can you register and enter a casual round at a club other than your home one? anyone know

you cant
    it will be on the app when launched

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

you cant
    it will be on the app when launched

great thanks, so you still enter your home scores through other apps? or will it all go through the golf ireland app?

• Advertisement

great thanks, so you still enter your home scores through other apps? or will it all go through the golf ireland app?

i guess we don't really know
    Golf Ireland haven't told us enough.
    i'm just going on what I have read before.

but home comps will be still entered using whatever software your club uses

Advertisement