Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I don't think they can change your handicap index?
    Yep, it seems it's possible alright. This is from the back end of the Golf Ireland system:
    Apply an Adjustment to this member's recent scores

Manual Handicap Index adjustments are applied to each of the most recent 20 Score Differentials in the scoring record from when they are created.
    They may be used to adjust a player's Handicap Index to better reflect the player's demonstrated ability.
    This will allow for the Handicap Index to be updated as new scores are posted.
    A handicap committee can remove the adjustment at any time if the adjustment is determined to no longer be warranted.

Any adjustment to a player's Handicap Index must be applied only after the player has been informed and has had an opportunity to respond.
    Adjustments should only increase a player's Handicap Index by up to 5.0 strokes above the player's Low Handicap Index, unless there are exceptional circumstances.
    Such circumstances could include a player who has a long-term illness or injury preventing them from playing golf at the level previously attained.

Adjustments higher than the current player's handicap are not allowed for
    a) Men with a handicap index of 0 or below.
    b) Women with a handicap index of 2 or below.

Adjustments must be sanctioned or ratified by an authorized association or handicap committee.

If an applied adjustment increases a player's Handicap Index, consider resetting the player's Low Handicap Index to prevent the player's handicap being upwardly capped despite the adjustment.
    This causes the player's Low Handicap Index to become the lowest Handicap Index achieved by a player
    a) during the 365-day period preceding their most recent score OR
    b) during the period between their most recent score and the creation date of the adjustment, whichever is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

It doesn't really mention anything there about reducing it though, just about the max increase etc.
    At least we have to be notified first.

macslash wrote: »
    It doesn't really mention anything there about reducing it though, just about the max increase etc.
    At least we have to be notified first.
    You can adjust it either way. They only mention the limitations on increasing it, as increases are capped under WHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daniel son

Based on Slope etc I will get 5 Shots back for Playing Handicap. Last result pre lockdown will give me 46 points. :eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Had our AGM this evening and the new WHS came up. I asked about the pre-registration of rounds for handicap purposes and was told that 8 people would need to register to have their cards count for handicap purposes, is this correct? I hadn’t heard that before? It was also mentioned that Golf Ireland are recommending that clubs charge for this which didn’t sound right to me.
    Anyone heard of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

etxp wrote: »
    Had our AGM this evening and the new WHS came up. I asked about the pre-registration of rounds for handicap purposes and was told that 8 people would need to register to have their cards count for handicap purposes, is this correct? I hadn’t heard that before? It was also mentioned that Golf Ireland are recommending that clubs charge for this which didn’t sound right to me.
    Anyone heard of this?

I guess you need a minimum number to calculate PCC. I wonder is this 8 players rule down to the club's choice. I have not heard it before.

I guess you could go out on a competition day without being in the comp.

Did they say what the charge would be? This is surely down to the individual club.

I guess you need a minimum number to calculate PCC. I wonder is this 8 players rule down to the club's choice. I have not heard it before.

I guess you could go out on a competition day without being in the comp.

Did they say what the charge would be? This is surely down to the individual club.

I’ll have to do some looking into it, it sounds to me like it’s a deterrent to be honest so it doesn’t happen in the club. It’s a small club with only 30-40 entering the weekly comps.

Didn’t mention what the charge was, I think it’s unfair for the club to charge for this if it’s part of the WHS system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

8 rounds was standard all along, nothing new here

Would think for a club to charge their own member for a casual game would be crazy

Seve OB wrote: »
    8 rounds was standard all along, nothing new here

Would think for a club to charge their own member for a casual game would be crazy

Yea I think the charging is ridiculous. In my club it will be probably unlikely to get the 8 out for a casual round so probably won’t be able to do it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I thought 8 rounds was only to get a PCC adjustment, but if you were the only person to play on a day, your round could still count for handicap purposes, just with no PCC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Question regarding the new system, apologies if already answered pages ago!

When we are back playing, booked into play a round at a different course and you want to play the round as a counting round with WHS. How does that work? I believe you have to declare before the round that you want it to be counting, but where and how is that done?

Cheers

the lawman wrote: »

When we are back playing, booked into play a round at a different course and you want to play the round as a counting round with WHS. How does that work? I believe you have to declare before the round that you want it to be counting, but where and how is that done?

Cheers

Also interested to know this, is it to my handicap secretary I need to notify?

Cheers

i believe on the App but we don't have the info available yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

On the same point, for the round to count does that mean no placing (even if it's in place on the course)?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onthefairway

Hi , I am trying to understand the relationship between the Golf Ireland site and HDID app. On Golf Ireland my record has been updated to 6.2 HI but on HDID it remains at 6.0 ! Does anyone know how this process works. Does each club have Admin access to update their members HI and this flow back into the HDID.

comments welcome

Many Thanks

i believe on the App but we don't have the info available yet

So if it’s on the app then that would mean that you wouldn’t have to notify your club and that it would be done automatically. I presume the app would need you to give the name of your marker. Probably going to have to be some sort of honesty system. Be interesting to see how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Hi , I am trying to understand the relationship between the Golf Ireland site and HDID app. On Golf Ireland my record has been updated to 6.2 HI but on HDID it remains at 6.0 ! Does anyone know how this process works. Does each club have Admin access to update their members HI and this flow back into the HDID.

comments welcome

Many Thanks

HowDidiDo do has been turned off by Golf Ireland. They are not allowing 3rd parties access to a players handicap index or handicap history.

The only time you can see your Handicap Index will be signing in/entering a score

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

HowDidiDo do has been turned off by Golf Ireland. They are not allowing 3rd parties access to a players handicap index or handicap history.

The only time you can see your Handicap Index will be signing in/entering a score

Its madness, worse plot than the Da Vinci Code.
    Like who gives a fiddlers if they give everyone read access to your HI?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its madness, worse plot than the Da Vinci Code.
    Like who gives a fiddlers if they give everyone read access to your HI?

Not if you are looking to monetise the data with advertisers !!!!

Not if you are looking to monetise the data with advertisers !!!!

Surely its the other (round based) data that you are monetising?

Your HI is just (very) useful meta data to also have...

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    Anyone heard of this?

I contacted Golf Ireland on the above, they got back to me asking what club it was from so we can direct your query to them? Does this seem odd, I wanted clarification on information I received from my club. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Fotish

comments welcome

Many Thanks

Generally it is the Competitions Secretary at your club who decides if HDID is allowed to be updated with members data .
    Once this facility is turned on , it will happen automatically after each competition.
    If the facility is not enabled the Secretary can upload the data periodically as he wishes.
    Uploading the data automatically can cause problems for competition results , especially if a competition is spread over 2 days.

I’m not sure if things have changed under WHS .

Fotish wrote: »

I’m not sure if things have changed under WHS .

It has changed. The data is still sent Golf Ireland but nobody is allowed to see it except on Golf Ireland.

It has changed. The data is still sent Golf Ireland but nobody is allowed to see it except on Golf Ireland.

but HDID has the up to date HI showing so it must be getting it from somewhere
    there is no breakdown of the scores anymore though

Cheers
    You can only put in supplementary scores at your home course.

If they still are it is breaking their licence aggreement and I would imagine it will go to the same as how Handicapmaster are doing it

prawnsambo wrote: »

That’s the old way.
    We have been told we will be able to do this on the app in the future

I guess they could just work it out, they will have all your rounds and the logic is public so no reason not to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

prawnsambo wrote: »

I don't believe this is correct. I think the main purpose of this system is that you can bring your index to anywhere in the world, play with your handicap and it can be counting.

I just don't know the logistics of how this will work yet.

• Advertisement

I don't believe this is correct. I think the main purpose of this system is that you can bring your index to anywhere in the world, play with your handicap and it can be counting.

I just don't know the logistics of how this will work yet.

And apparently Golf Ireland are recommending the clubs to charge for this. iI've requested confirmation of this from Golf Ireland but no joy yet.

Advertisement