Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish corporate talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Creme fraiche

Talent - when talking about people.
    Coming to my desk to check that I got that email you literally just pressed send on before you got up to come to my desk.
    I’ll put something in your diary - it’s a calendar.

As long as you understand what's being said it doesn't really matter if people use these or other phrases.

And, while overuse or a constant retreat to blithe catchphrases can come across as mere cant, excessive denigration of what may be termed business speak usually comes across as people being ..... a little salty tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Helicopter view = overview

"I'll revert back to you" means that the person will literally morph back into being YOU. As in, they were you and will shortly return to that state of being you. What they mean to say is that they will respond/reply to you at a later date.

Came here to say this one. Definitely top of my list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Ending every sentence with the phrase "According to the prophecy"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Talent - when talking about people.
    Coming to my desk to check that I got that email you literally just pressed send on before you got up to come to my desk.
    I’ll put something in your diary - it’s a calendar.
    I saw this happening just before xmas. A colleague trying to dump work on another colleague. She sent the email and then went to his desk a while later. He basically told her to fcuk off and do it herself. Great stuff particularly as she's a bone idle twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

As long as you understand what's being said it doesn't really matter if people use these or other phrases.

And, while overuse or a constant retreat to blithe catchphrases can come across as mere cant, excessive denigration of what may be termed business speak usually comes across as people being ..... a little salty tbh

i disagree, its bull**** speak, used for multiple reasons, many of which are not for positive reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

“Meeting Consumer needs” roughly translated as “how can we sell our crap to as many people as possible”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Ping me an email by close of play so we can bluesky some joined up thinking as a gameplan.

Get up the fücking yard ya twät. You were atin' hang sangidges in a bog 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

It's all apple pie and motherhood until you poke the bear....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

'Diarise', 'guesstimate' and 'judgement call'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A lot of people that rely on 'business speak' are usually bluffers, incapable of anything meaningful.

And a lot of it doesn't really mean anything and can be said more concisely with existing language.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

STFU :rolleyes: Is that unsalted enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

"Synergistic Competencies"

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I've noticed an increase in the amount of people saying "go ahead" to refer to making a plan. Sounds like the jerk boss from Office Space.

e.g. "so I'm gonna go ahead and arrange to touch base on the 17th...",

How about you go ahead and trip in front of a bus, you b@st@rds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

So true - the meaning to those outside of corporations is not fully understood

Going forward = you've been making a dogs dinner of this up to now, so from here onwards you're gonna do it right

Take that offline = this isn't the pub you're in now so don't talk sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Christ, what must it be like in Google, Facebook or Apple ... any big American company - it must be absolute f*cking hell in there with all the bull**** red tape speak getting in the way of doing real work.

Not the Apple run by Steve Jobs. He didn’t do corporate.

Tim Cook seems corporate.

begbysback wrote: »
    So true - the meaning to those outside of corporations is not fully understood

Going forward = you've been making a dogs dinner of this up to now, so from here onwards you're gonna do it right

Take that offline = this isn't the pub you're in now so don't talk sh1te

Gameplan = you're obviously not able to figure out this yourself so we need to give you idiot-proof instructions

At the end of the day = I've forgotten what I was talking about, so ignore everything up until now

Give you a heads up = you're fücked and we've hid it from you until now

Not the Apple run by Steve Jobs. He didn’t do corporate.

No, he just did psychopathic.

• Advertisement

Going forward I'm working under the assumption that a lot of people missed out on interviews and are attributing their inability to adopt the Lingua Franca of the corporate sphere as the root cause.

Diddums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

"Granularity" especially when combined with "drill down"

"close the delta"

"circle back"

"reach out"

"moon shot"

"pain point"

Any noun turned into a verb! - "actioning" "quarterbacking"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

indispensable team member or any kind of we couldn't do with out them kind of crap

if they died in the morning they would be replaced straight away with no problems finding a replacment

Gravelly wrote: »
    No, he just did psychopathic.

He wasn’t really. Not anymore than most CEOs.

Going forward I'm working under the assumption that a lot of people missed out on interviews and are attributing their inability to adopt the Lingua Franca of the corporate sphere as the root cause.

Diddums.

You sound like a man who uses this language.

One group of people who do use it a lot are recruiters. Who are spoofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

"Non compliance"

Pi*s off

He wasn’t really. Not anymore than most CEOs.

Having read two biographies of him recently, I'd disagree. I've worked with a few slightly crazy CEO's but not as bad as him. His treatment of his first child confirms it even if you ignore how he treated most of the people he worked with.

You sound like a man who uses this language.

One group of people who do use it a lot are recruiters. Who are spoofers.

Truest statement ever. The recruitment industry seems to be heavily populated with charlatans, chancers, and scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I don't know how anyone can work in a corporate job, I lasted for a month and had to get away from it, id rather be in prison than an office listening to knobs in suits talk like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fgEK-Ksis4

• Advertisement

Gravelly wrote: »
    Having read two biographies of him recently, I'd disagree. I've worked with a few slightly crazy CEO's but not as bad as him. His treatment of his first child confirms it even if you ignore how he treated most of the people he worked with.

I worked in Apple (in the US) during his reign. It wasn’t a fearful place. He was sh1t when young admittedly.

Advertisement