Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up the rebels?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

smurgen wrote: »
    Was it sinister when James Joyce created it? It's sinister in your mind because that suits your political agenda.i feel sorry for you compadre.

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word sinister and how something becomes sinister. It's like you claiming murderous clowns can't be sinister as they were meant to bring joy.

Are you from the northern Mexican branch amigo? Maybe it's because English is not your first language then but you can be critical of any political party without having a political agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hurrache wrote: »
    2016 was a disappointing election for them, Adam's can shoulder much of that blame with his shoddy media performances and grasp of economics.

Aha. You're of the goalposts shifting brigade I see.

You asked 'what rise' and when given their seat increase figures go off on a different tangent.

As you were.

You asked 'what rise' and when given their seat increase figures go off on a different tangent.

As you were.

They're down in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I think it was a bad move from a political perspective.

When you want to extend an olive branch to Unionists to restart the Stormont Assembly, it was almost a taunt.

She was playing to her electorate at the Ard Fheis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Gas thing is that the party supporters have lapped up her spiel, they actually think that they have something in common with the privately schooled Shinner(ex-FF) from Rathgar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is sf striving to be the same party they were while the ira was "disappearing " people for them? Or are they claiming to have moved on and progressed?

The leader using an obviously provocative term thats synonymous with murderers doesnt scream the latter.

How in god's name could they be the 'same' party?

Did you miss the achievement of the GFA?

SF have always used the slogan and continued to use it after the GFA because it is an innocuous political slogan.

During one of the speeches someone said she was proud of her history, her Fianna Fail history?

Which is also a 'rebel' history or are you gonna, like Michael when it suits him, airbrush that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They're down in the polls.

Aaaaand the tangent changes again.

As I demonstrated to srameen earlier - opinion polls are rather meh in this country - because dependent on various polls, any one can run with figures to suit their own argument.

Simplified further - opinion polls are polls of an opinion.

You asked earlier "what rise"? When another poster said the big 2 (Ff/Fg) were getting nervous at their rise.
    What rise?

2007 4 seats.

2011 14 seats.

2016 23 seats.

No rise at all.

I make a jump from 4 to 23 a 475% increase. I suspect that's the rise people were referring to.

**awaits another deflection or tangent**

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I remember when it was "they'll never win a seat down here".

Which is also a 'rebel' history or are you gonna, like Michael when it suits him, airbrush that out?

Again, I've no idea what the point is relative to what we're discussing. I know you're not so naive as to believe yourself that there's no connotations, so the only conclusion is that you're heroically batting for your side in the face of an oncoming hurricane.

SF supporters seem to be a touchy lot in the face of any sort of honest criticism. Might be one of the reasons they're going to stagnate, get offended when those on the outside point out what they see wrong with the party rather than take it onboard with a view to broadening their potential voter base.

• Advertisement

Again, I've no idea what the point is relative to what we're discussing. I no you're not so naive as to believe yourself that there's no connotations, so the only conclusion is that you're batting for you're heroically batting for your side in the face of an oncoming hurricane.

Oh no, not another hurricane.

We were all rebels, at one time. Why is it wrong for a party to see themselves as rebels?

Because the people they were rebelling against might get upset?

Oh no, not another hurricane.

We were all rebels, at one time. Why is it wrong for a party to see themselves as rebels?

Because the people they were rebelling against might get upset?

Nobody but you are explicitly talking about rebels.

Nobody but you are explicitly talking about rebels.

So you have a problem with an Irish phrase/slogan that SF have used for decades?

That this phrase which means 'Our Day Will Come' indicates that ML was talking about the RA?

This just gets better.

This is your modus operandi isn't it? Post irrelevant nonsense, pretend you don't know why just the issue is, and then hope a poster gives up while you imagine yourself getting a virtual pat on the back from Parnell Square?

This is your modus operandi isn't it? Post irrelevant nonsense, pretend you don't know why just the issue is, and then hope a poster gives up while you imagine yourself getting a virtual pat on the back from Parnell Square?

Oh dear, the 'Parnell Sq' reference. You know an argument has completely crashed when we get to this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Up the Rebels, Our Day Will Come.... Absolutely heinous. :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't think she is the right choice to lead the party, but I hope she proves me wrong. I look forward to seeing where she can bring the party, and the cause to end partition as a whole.
    Her sign off is the cause of all this outrage? She gave a nod toward a decades old slogan, and yes, a nod toward the former military wing of the party.
    Not everyone will like it or agree with it but the fact of the matter is, yes, absolutely SOME of us have reason to be thankful to the P.I.R.A.... And your, or anyone else's opinion doesn't actually change that fact.

Up the Rebels. Our day WILL come.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As you were.

The only party that lost votes between the European Elections and the last Dail election was Sinn Fein.

Even Labour, in the midst of their biggest ever meltdown in terms of Dail elections managed to actually do better than their Euro performance.

Oh dear, the 'Parnell Sq' reference. You know an argument has completely crashed when we get to this stage.

Oh, it's something people have said to you before? Unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So you have a problem with an Irish phrase/slogan that SF have used for decades?

That this phrase which means 'Our Day Will Come' indicates that ML was talking about the RA?

This just gets better.

"Tiocfaidh ar La" is now a phrase with sectarian connotations thanks to the work of SF/IRA in the past. Repeating it today with the wounds unhealed is a typical example of the insensitivity of the current SF leadership.

blanch152 wrote: »
    "Tiocfaidh ar La" is now a phrase with sectarian connotations thanks to the work of SF/IRA in the past. Repeating it today with the wounds unhealed is a typical example of the insensitivity of the current SF leadership.

The national anthem can have sectarian connotations if you are so inclined. ~

• Advertisement

Oh, it's something people have said to you before? Unsurprising.

Oh it has and I am amazed at how quickly you learned. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I’m glad to see Mary lou starting off as she means to go on... reaching out to unionists as they like to peddle.

She is carrying on where Adams left off. Bravo. Maybe she will take Liam on long walks on the beach too..

timthumbni wrote: »
    I’m glad to see Mary lou starting off as she means to go on... reaching out to unionists as they like to peddle.

She is carrying on where Adams left off. Bravo. Maybe she will take Liam on long walks on the beach too..

Jaysus Tim. That the best you can stoop to? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Odhinn

cycle4fun wrote: »
    Her (.............) words?

If mary lou dropped her phone in the jacks you'd be saying she wasn't fit to run the country.

Jaysus Tim. That the best you can stoop to? :rolleyes:

You are a sf cheerleader and you ask someone else how low they can stoop to?? Now that is funny. Mary Lou is perfect for the job as sf supreme leader. She is about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. All she needs is a pair of bolt cutters in the boot and she is set. Go Mary Lou.... I await the unveiling of her mural in Republican west Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

She is leading a republican party. If there were no rebels, Stormont would still be Unionist gerrymandering headquarters up in Norn Iron.
    If there were no rebels there would be no Fine Gael or Fianna Fail.
    I see no issue with this slogan.

She should have just went full provo and shouted “up da ra” at the end. I’m sure it would have went down well with the typical sf voter.

She should have just went full provo and shouted “up da ra” at the end. I’m sure it would have went down well with the typical sf voter.

She did not have to. There are plenty here who seem to have heard that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Phrases can become sinister when in history they have been linked to violence or violent organisations.

If you want to keep things in isolation then a phrase like "work will set you free" or "arbeit macht Frei" is not sinister either. In isolation there is no threat in that phrase but in context many know it's place in history.

But it's all about context isn't it.

• Advertisement

Phrases can become sinister when in history they have been linked to violence or violent organisations.

If you want to keep things in isolation then a phrase like "work will set you free" or "arbeit macht Frei" is not sinister either. In isolation there is no threat in that phrase but in context many know it's place in history.

But it's all about context isn't it.

Yes. And those who hear it need to know the context 20 years on from the end of a conflict/war.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement