Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up the rebels?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder when the disconnect will be between SF and the Provisional campaign of the 60-90s in the eyes of the population?

Will it be 2025. 2030, 2035 before they are seen as a legit party and one any member of the public can vote for without hearing about the Ra.

Or never?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yes. And those who hear it need to know the context 20 years on from the end of a conflict/war.

So are you saying it was wrong to say it given the context or that phrases like those and maybe things like Roman salutes are okay once enough of time has passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So are you saying it was wrong to say it given the context or that phrases like those and maybe things like Roman salutes are okay once enough of time has passed?

The association is in your head. Because you only want to see it in the context of the IRA.
    The fact is SF have been using it for decades as a party slogan.

No outrage previously but curiously it has offended now as the hunt for a 'whiff of sulphur' intensifies.

We'll agree to disagree but I'm not going to start goose stepping and shouting Seig Heil around the place even if WWII finished much longer than 20 years ago.

It does raise the interesting question how long will it take for the average person to forget events like the the Troubles and WWII.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder when the disconnect will be between SF and the Provisional campaign of the 60-90s in the eyes of the population?

Will it be 2025. 2030, 2035 before they are seen as a legit party and one any member of the public can vote for without hearing about the Ra.

Or never?

I think it is hilarious that there are people here actually asking for a political party to pretend.

It's the Image is Everything disease spread by Varadkar mixed with a bit of Enda's 'highlight the Whiff Of Sulphur' one.

• Advertisement

We'll agree to disagree but I'm not going to start goose stepping and shouting Seig Heil around the place even if WWII finished much longer than 20 years ago.

It does raise the interesting question how long will it take for the average person to forget events like the the Troubles and WWII.

The people who vote for them north and south are not part of the 'average'?

Do you realise how condescending that is?

I'm not meaning to be condescending at all.

By average I do mean how long would it take before you could walk down a street in Ireland or the UK and ask a person if they know anything about World War 2 or the The Troubles?

What's wrong with what I said?

I'm not meaning to be condescending at all.

By average I do mean how long would it take before you could walk down a street in Ireland or the UK and ask a person if they know anything about World War 2 or the The Troubles?

What's wrong with what I said?

Why would you want people to forget them? Are you saying that those who vote for SF have forgotten the troubles :rolleyes:

They have dealt with the troubles, have seen how and why they happened. They have made a judgement on who they want to represent them.

Astonishing that you would suggest they would have to 'forget' or ignore what happened to vote for somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Or never?

I would have thought when Adams departed, but like I said, Mary Lou goes off script and put her foot in it.

FraniceBrady, you have this nasty and horrible trait in implying that the only reason people have issue with SF is because that Kenny and Varadkar told them to. It's a snide argument and really projects the fact that you're brainwashed to the fact that there can't possibly be a reason for the ordinary voter, or those on the fence, to have issues with SF. Sure without nasty Kenny and.Varadkar SF would be running the county by now.

Mary Lou McDonald grew up off Orwell Road- one of the most expensive roads in Ireland to live.

I don't dig her faux republicanism no less her faux working-man act.

• Advertisement

Why would you want people to forget them? Are you saying that those who vote for SF have forgotten the troubles :rolleyes:

They have dealt with the troubles, have seen how and why they happened. They have made a judgement on who they want to represent them.

Astonishing that you would suggest they would have to 'forget' or ignore what happened to vote for somebody.

Well you're the one saying there is nothing wrong with Tiocfaidh at la and Arbeit macht Frei. I'm just saying the many people would associate them with The Troubles and WWII. And they (as in many people) probably will continue to associate them until they happen to forget about those conflicts. That's all.

For instance I'm sure there were similar offensive phrases used in the Crimean War and the Boer War but I don't know the details of those conflicts.

Well you're the one saying there is nothing wrong with Tiocfaidh at la and Arbeit macht Frei. I'm just saying the many people would associate them with The Troubles and WWII. And they (as in many people) probably will continue to associate them until they happen to forget about those conflicts. That's all.

For instance I'm sure there were similar offensive phrases used in the Crimean War and the Boer War but I don't know the details of those conflicts.

Do you think there is any danger that they might associate them with the aspirations of a political party that has used it without it causing offence for decades?

No, there is no danger of that as long as a whiff has to be found.

These faux outraged (it must be faux as I have never heard anyone get offended by it's use before on here) people are not going to vote for SF even if they have frontal lobotomy's.

Do you think there is any danger that they might associate them with the aspirations of a political party that has used it without it causing offence for decades?

No, there is no danger of that as long as a whiff has to be found.

These faux outraged (it must be faux as I have never heard anyone get offended by it's use before on here) people are not going to vote for SF even if they have frontal lobotomy's.

Sinn-Fein IRA are no different now than they were 40 years ago when they interrupted my viewing of Michael Bentine's Potty Time on UTV with announcements that key-holders should return to their premises to check out the damage that Sinn-Fein IRA inflicted on them.

SF have probably offended a lot of people down through the years I say.

Look I won't be all negative about SF. Ye do have some good talent coming through. At Christmas I spent ages speaking to the guy that will probably run for ye in Tipperary in the next general election. Very clued in, savvy and would appeal to the non SF person. Being an accountant gives him good respectability too to those cynical of SF. You probably know the lad, he works a lot behind the scenes writing speeches and preparing policies etc. I wouldn't mind seeing him getting elected at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

blanch152 wrote: »
    So you have a problem with an Irish phrase/slogan that SF have used for decades?

That this phrase which means 'Our Day Will Come' indicates that ML was talking about the RA?

This just gets better.

"Tiocfaidh ar La" is now a phrase with sectarian connotations thanks to the work of SF/IRA in the past. Repeating it today with the wounds unhealed is a typical example of the insensitivity of the current SF leadership.

You strike me as the type that would find any Irish phrase offensive.

Or never?

I say it will happen when the ordinary joe soap finally gets fed up getting screwed by fg and ff.

timthumbni wrote: »
    I’m glad to see Mary lou starting off as she means to go on... reaching out to unionists as they like to peddle.

She is carrying on where Adams left off. Bravo. Maybe she will take Liam on long walks on the beach too..

You're worried about the feelings of the unionists now?good grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,214 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We've enough Sinn Féin threads!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement