Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up the rebels?

Options
  • 11-02-2018 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Mary Lou yesterday ended her speech with "Up the Rebels. Tiocfaidh ár lá”

Imagine if Arlene Foster made a speech saying "Up the UVF. No surrender". What woulds others say about that?

Should not Sinn Fein be trying to use language which shows a little bit of respect to others in N. Ireland, and trying to get Stormont going again. Hard to patch up differences with a party by praising the rebels and using their slogan, when the same rebels attacked a school bus Foster was on as a child, shot and tried to kill her father on different occasion, killed 11 people at a service in Fosters home county town (Enniskillen) etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Were Cork playing yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Who cares what Forster or the bowler hat brigade think, I'm no fan of Mary Lou or SF but it's just gone stupid these days where everyone is nearly afraid to say anything in case someone gets offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Source

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mary-lou-mcdonald-assumes-sinn-fin-leadership-insisting-the-war-is-long-over-36589125.html
    However, Ms McDonald also closed her speech with unscripted militant Republican language, exclaiming "up the rebels and "tiocfaidh l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I don't see the problem with offending people anyway. Since when were we forbidden to offend people?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Sinn Fein as a political party are a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭the sheriff is HERE

By your comments it was all one sided? FF/FG were born from republism?

Go Mary, UP THE REBELS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

It would be a great laugh though if Arlene Foster and Michelle O'Neill swopped speaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Larry SR

She was speaking to a republican audience. I think people are being too sensitive here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

Sinn Fein as a political party are a joke.

They fit in well with the rest of the clowns so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Odhinn

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    It would be a great laugh though if Arlene Foster and Michelle O'Neill swopped speaches.

I suspect Ms Fosters is written in Enochian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Somebody left the immersion tank on all day and night yesterday in my house. It definitely wasn't me, so going by AH logic, it must have been the Shinners.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Odhinn wrote: »
    I suspect Ms Fosters is written in Enochian.

She's a normal human like the rest of us?

I'm beginning to sound like the Alliance Party.

She's a normal human like the rest of us?
    Ahh go on.
    I'm beginning to sound like the Alliance Party.

Not mixed area posh enough, but getting there.

buried wrote: »
    Somebody left the immersion tank on all day and night yesterday in my house. It definitely wasn't me, so going by AH logic, it must have been the Shinners.

Yep. They're like the muslims, only slightly less beardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

cycle4fun wrote: »
    Mary Lou yesterday ended her speech with "Up the Rebels. Tiocfaidh ár lá”

She played up to her audience on the day, particularly the old guard. But in doing so she had the public who may have thought about giving them a vote once Adams was gone certainly rethinking that after those comments. A political miscalculation.

Absolute nonsense. Rebels could mean Rebelling against the political status quo that's currently in place but of course the Denis O'Brien led media who have vested interests in the Feeny Foolies and feeny Goolies remaining in power will make it out to be something different. Pathetic.

I'd be very critical of the way Sinn Fein conducts themselves but I'd certainly say that their policies are no worse than the ones currently in place that only the elite and corporations have benefited from. The two "enemies" have pretty much failed us since the foundation of the state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Hurrache wrote: »
    She played up to her audience on the day, particularly the old guard. But in doing so she had the public who may have thought about giving them a vote once Adams was gone certainly rethinking that after those comments. A political miscalculation.

It was a bit of a miscalculation al right - even up north "Tiocfaidh ár lá” is seen as a sectarian slogan. What is Mary Lou McDonald, the new leader of Siunn Fein, doing using sectarian slogans from the past? A Catholic woman in Belfast was awarded £20,000 after ‘tiocfaidh ár lá’ was said to her. Quote "The tribunal found that she was unfairly dismissed and victimised due to her background, ruling that the use of the phrase had had “a clear sectarian significance”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/woman-awarded-20-000-after-tiocfaidh-%C3%A1r-l%C3%A1-shouted-at-her-1.3268337

I think the mask slipped yesterday a bit when she went off script at the end.
    Good for potential voters to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Absolute nonsense. Rebels could mean Rebelling against the political status quo that's currently in place but of course the Denis O'Brien led media who have vested interests in the Feeny Foolies and feeny Goolies remaining in power will make it out to be something different. Pathetic.

Why does DOB get blamed for this when all the media, not just those in his fold, simply reported the words that she actually spoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd be very critical of the way Sinn Fein conducts themselves but I'd certainly say that their policies are no worse than the ones currently in place that only the elite and corporations have benefited from. The two "enemies" have pretty much failed us since the foundation of the state

'Rebels' meant the IRA and those in SF who rebelled against the British.

Why would anyone in a party that has transparently showed it's history NOT say that is the question?

SF aren't hiding their past for the likes of Cycle4fun and personally I think that is healthy and honest tbf.

• Advertisement

It was a bit of a miscalculation al right - even up north "Tiocfaidh ár lá” is seen as a sectarian slogan. What is Mary Lou McDonald, the new leader of Siunn Fein, doing using sectarian slogans from the past? A Catholic woman in Belfast was awarded £20,000 after ‘tiocfaidh ár lá’ was said to her. Quote "The tribunal found that she was unfairly dismissed and victimised due to her background, ruling that the use of the phrase had had “a clear sectarian significance”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/woman-awarded-20-000-after-tiocfaidh-%C3%A1r-l%C3%A1-shouted-at-her-1.3268337

Good for potential voters to see

Nice try Leo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I'm surprised there were any reporters at this event anyway, must have been a slow day news wise.

No such thing as bad publicity,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Absolute nonsense. Rebels could mean Rebelling against the political status quo that's currently in place ...

Don't be playing games.
    We all know what "Up the rebels" means in this context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

'Rebels' meant the IRA and those in SF who rebelled against the British.

Correct, and more than a few in Sinn Fein were also in the IRA.

Up the Rebels and "chucki ar la" ...well according to Collins dictionary, Rebels are
    " Rebels are people who are fighting against their own country's army in order to change the political system there.
    ...fighting between rebels and government forces.
    ...rebel forces in Liberia."

Why does Mary Lou use the phrase "Tiocfaidh ár lá" though, when the tribunal up north found that use "of the phrase had had “a clear sectarian significance”.

Up the Rebels and "chucki ar la" ...well according to Collins dictionary, Rebels are
    " Rebels are people who are fighting against their own country's army in order to change the political system there.

Why does Mary Lou use the phrase "Tiocfaidh ár lá" though, when the tribunal up north found that use "of the phrase had had “a clear sectarian significance”.

Why are you obsessed with SF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭the sheriff is HERE

Up the Rebels and "chucki ar la" ”.

This was held in Dublin right?

You support the peace process apparently?

No one here has used past troubles to point score against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Taunting someone from the opposite side with a slogan or abuse is sectarian.

Saying it at a gathering of your party isn't. Switch the telly off if thou is offended. And she probably isn't looking for your vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sinn Fein / IRA baggage aside, I don't think Mary Lou has that likeability factor that's necessary for them to push on. A lot like how Hilary's shrill tone put so many folks off, there's a preachy, sneery & moany style about Mary Lou's delivery, that I don't think will play well on the airwaves.

Time will tell I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And she probably isn't looking for your vote.

This is the salient point though. If SF are to progress then she should be looking for his vote and many more like him. She has to appeal to a wider audience.

• Advertisement

Good for potential voters to see.

Of course what you forgot to mention was that it was probably a Protestant/unionist/loyalist that used the phrase against that person, so its not an example of the sectarianism (from the republican side) that no doubt you were misleadingly trying to imply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement