Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Posted on here a couple of weeks ago when a chap pulled out in front of me from a junction while I was driving on the main road home. I swerved to avoid him and damaged my car off a kerb in the process.

Well his insurance company refused to pay for the damage initially as he somehow didn't think he was responsible. A quick look at the dash cam footage and they did a complete u-turn and told me they would pay in full, which they have done.

€150 dash cam earned its crust big time, repair bill was €1450. If you don't already have one, I'd get one asap. When nobody stops as a witness, it's your only defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

PauloMN wrote: »
    Posted on here a couple of weeks ago when a chap pulled out in front of me from a junction while I was driving on the main road home. I swerved to avoid him and damaged my car off a kerb in the process.

Well his insurance company refused to pay for the damage initially as he somehow didn't think he was responsible. A quick look at the dash cam footage and they did a complete u-turn and told me they would pay in full, which they have done.

€150 dash cam earned its crust big time, repair bill was €1450. If you don't already have one, I'd get one asap. When nobody stops as a witness, it's your only defence.

Great outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

So the guy you nearly hit was refusing to admit fault? I thought you said he had stopped and you had a conversation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

PauloMN wrote:

The video is no longer on YouTube :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

chewed wrote: »
    So the guy you nearly hit was refusing to admit fault? I thought you said he had stopped and you had a conversation?

We did, and he initially offered to pay. But when it came to it, he was getting non-committal, questioning the garage's findings etc. so I opted to go via insurance as I wasn't going to risk any chance of being stuck with the bill. At that stage he texted me to say I had been driving recklessly... not sure how he came to that conclusion. I stopped dealing with him at that point and went via insurance. Didn't think he would actually try and deny responsibility with them, but he did. The dashcam footage ended that dispute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

We did, and he initially offered to pay. But when it came to it, he was getting non-committal, questioning the garage's findings etc. so I opted to go via insurance as I wasn't going to risk any chance of being stuck with the bill. At that stage he texted me to say I had been driving recklessly... not sure how he came to that conclusion. I stopped dealing with him at that point and went via insurance. Didn't think he would actually try and deny responsibility with them, but he did. The dashcam footage ended that dispute.

Dashcams, the true agents of justice!

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Unless he noticed the cam, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Better yet text him a youtube link :pac:

Surely lying to your insurance company would be against their policy or something no? Cos I'd be delighted if they declared his cover null and void because of it! I'm not being spiteful, but lying c**ts deserve everything they get!

*insert evil laugh of evilness*

Wait no, scratch that...

*insert just laugh of JUSTICE*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i don't think lying would come into it, I imagine he merely denied he had been in an accident

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Isambard wrote:
    i don't think lying would come into it, I imagine he merely denied he had been in an accident

Huh? He was in an accident? Saying he wasn't, isn't lying? Have I gone mad?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I don't think I was at fault. Without a witness it's immediately 50/50 and you haven't lied to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

chewed wrote: »

Minds are often changed post-conversation when the conversee realises the facts agreed in the conversation is going to cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Apologies, first attempted upload so I hope this works! Absolutely sick and tired of being cut up at roundabouts by people staying in the right hand lane and carrying straight on. This time I was forced onto the kerb. Makes my blood boil and happens numerous times each week at this spot (in both directions)

• Advertisement

Apologies, first attempted upload so I hope this works! Absolutely sick and tired of being cut up at roundabouts by people staying in the right hand lane and carrying straight on. This time I was forced onto the kerb. Makes my blood boil and happens numerous times each week at this spot (in both directions)

It really is no wonder the world's so f****d when so many people can't even negotiate a roundabout properly... What's worse is I'd say a solid majority of these plonkers actually think they're doing the right thing.

Oh how I so wish I had a job driving a tank and could just plow into these idiots who have no idea of the simplest things when it comes to driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

jaxxx wrote: »
    It really is no wonder the world's so f****d when so many people can't even negotiate a roundabout properly... What's worse is I'd say a solid majority of these plonkers actually think they're doing the right thing.

Oh how I so wish I had a job driving a tank and could just plow into these idiots who have no idea of the simplest things when it comes to driving...

Just needs them to use a few roundabouts with directional arrows then suddenly they think the right lane is straight ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The lane arrows are misleading here in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

GreeBo wrote: »
    The lane arrows are misleading here in fairness.

Like the one on the cycle track - WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fritzelly wrote: »
    Like the one on the cycle track - WTF?

I guess it means yield...coz the grass and lamppost ain't moving!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Given the number of roundabouts near that part of Blanch, I'm amazed at just how bad people seem to be.

The RSA should send a re-education unit out to pull people up and provide on the spot retraining.

liamog wrote: »
    Given the number of roundabouts near that part of Blanch, I'm amazed at just how bad people seem to be.

The RSA should send a re-education unit out to pull people up and provide on the spot retraining.

I still think it's crazy that once you've passed your test, that's it. Nothing more even if you live to be 100. It's crazy. I've suggested test repeats in the past, maybe every 10 years or so. But I've since thought of something much simpler, just a mandatory seminar type thing where all basic rules of the road and stuff is explained, maybe a 2 hour thing or something like that. To serve as a kind of refresher, again every 10 years or so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

jaxxx wrote: »
    I still think it's crazy that once you've passed your test, that's it. Nothing more even if you live to be 100. It's crazy. I've suggested test repeats in the past, maybe every 10 years or so. But I've since thought of something much simpler, just a mandatory seminar type thing where all basic rules of the road and stuff is explained, maybe a 2 hour thing or something like that. To serve as a kind of refresher, again every 10 years or so.

I like the idea of stricter enforcement but with traffic school for minor offences.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    I like the idea of stricter enforcement but with traffic school for minor offences.

1) Reads liamog's post
    2) Thinks about An Garda Siochana carrying out the above
    3)
    latest?cb=20130926091602

Or maybe I'm being a bit... mean.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement