Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The opposite View

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

I can understand the money for Getabird in the Supreme but only because nothing else has come out and looked like a horse good enough to win it. I’d still fancy Sharjah to run well and his price is massive considering he’s had one poor run, that was on Sunday so at the mad price he is now I’d have to take a chance on him in a weak enough looking Supreme.

Samcro was exceptional on Sunday but I’m happy enough to just watch him in March. He may well destroy everything in whatever race he runs but I don’t see the fun in backing horses that short in the market. They may well win but there’s no value in the price.

The Champion Hurdle is a mad looking race and I’d take a chance on something at a big ew price. Couldn’t steam in to BD at the current prices. Maybe Mick Jazz who’ll love a strong gallop and better ground but I wouldn’t be confident at all. Would dearly love to see Apples Jade in the Champion Hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Mr321

aidankkk wrote: »
    But he has been placed in 3 Gold Cups , where else would you run him :eek:. All im saying is that this race really could turn out to be a mess and if he just does the same thing he has done 3 times before he could easily back into a serious chance at 33/1.

I got a fair few Similar comments regarding MTOY for the last 2 years when on a big prices. He also looks nailed on to run a big race but im not sure of the value given he was up to 50/1 the last couple of years and younger.

"where else would you run him"
    Killbeggen in the summer haha

Djack could have one all before him at 2m -2m5f the last few festivals especially at home.
    He was pushed 3m for a GC and its taken its toll on him. Any horse that does run a good race in the GC rarely come back and to well.
    Could argue the same done with Yorkhill, pushed up 3m over the fences as he's a GC in the making instead of taking another season with him to progress and he bellyflops.
    Mullins and Rici had a gold GC horse in the making the great Vatour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Mr321 wrote: »
    . Any horse that does run a good race in the GC rarely come back and to well.

Seriously?? You do know that he has made the frame in three Gold Cups already, just like The Giant Bolster did and was dismissed each time. Synchronised and Lord Windamere were only handicapers according to many - I somethines think that some people have a very inflated idea of what a Gold Cup actually generally requires quality wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Mr321 wrote: »
    "where else would you run him"
    Killbeggen in the summer haha

Djack could have one all before him at 2m -2m5f the last few festivals especially at home.
    He was pushed 3m for a GC and its taken its toll on him. Any horse that does run a good race in the GC rarely come back and to well.
    Could argue the same done with Yorkhill, pushed up 3m over the fences as he's a GC in the making instead of taking another season with him to progress and he bellyflops.
    Mullins and Rici had a gold GC horse in the making the great Vatour!

Vautour. Talk about a disaster for Mullins in 16. Madness.
    Would have hacked up.
    Instead he has been stuck with Djak since

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Mr321

danganabu wrote: »
    Seriously?? You do know that he has made the frame in three Gold Cups already, just like The Giant Bolster did and was dismissed each time. Synchronised and Lord Windamere were only handicapers according to many - I somethines think that some people have a very inflated idea of what a Gold Cup actually generally requires quality wise.

I get what your saying but why hasn't he won in between them GC since?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 moneymore

Vautour. Talk about a disaster for Mullins in 16. Madness.
    Would have hacked up.
    Instead he has been stuck with Djak since

Jaysus to say he would have hacked up in the GC is madness, he beat a weak Ryanair field and didn't stay in the King George!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sweeneed

im backing roger!!! maybe he wouldnt have stayed that year but spring ground in cheltenham he was a different horse and never looked like tiring in JLT allbeit a good bit shorter. they learned from letting him go in the king george. he lso jumped bit left so that track wasnt ideal. take cue card example, as the years go on, they stay better. he was young and certainly would have won a gold cup! too much class!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

I'm going to back Ordinary World for the champion chase.
    He ran well to place in last year's arkle. He got out stayed for 2 place.
    He ran well at the weekend before hitting the last. The was market confidence in him before the race.

At 50/1 he's worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

handsfree2 wrote: »
    I'm going to back Ordinary World for the champion chase.
    He ran well to place in last year's arkle. He got out stayed for 2 place.
    He ran well at the weekend before hitting the last. The was market confidence in him before the race.

At 50/1 he's worth a punt.

Where's he 50s? Serious price.

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    Where's he 50s? Serious price.

According to oddschecker a whole host of bookies, but I tried a few and the best I could see 1/4 odds and NRNB was Betway.

On a slightly off topic subject, Oddschecker is gone to the absolute dogs lately, no where near up to date, are there any more relaible alternatives that others use??

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Is it just me , or does anyone else give Road to Respect any chance . Great price IMHO @ 12/1 . Forgotten horse just like Solwhit all those years ago !!!.

According to oddschecker a whole host of bookies, but I tried a few and the best I could see 1/4 odds and NRNB was Betway.

On a slightly off topic subject, Oddschecker is gone to the absolute dogs lately, no where near up to date, are there any more relaible alternatives that others use??

50s with PP 1/5 EW

moneymore wrote: »
    Jaysus to say he would have hacked up in the GC is madness, he beat a weak Ryanair field and didn't stay in the King George!

If he hadn't hit the last fence in kempton he was home and dry. Cheltenham also suited him far more and he was a spring horse. I am 100% convinced he would have won that GC and nothing will change that. I also know from asking David Casey that a lot at closutton say the same. RR also. They regret that decision and well they might. Vautour was a hell of a horse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I wish nothing more than Vautour turned up for that Gold Cup so Don Cossack might get the credit he deserves, DC had his ears pricked all up the run in, had loads left in the tank. Vautour would've been breathing through his arse like he was in the King George.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

I wish nothing more than Vautour turned up for that Gold Cup so Don Cossack might get the credit he deserves

Be careful what you wish for.

Be careful what you wish for.

Is that you Doc Brown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Is that you Doc Brown?

I don't know who that is but Don Cossack backers should definitely not be wishing Vautour showed up in that race!

I don't know who that is but Don Cossack backers should definitely not be wishing Vautour showed up in that race!

That not the dude from back to the future, haven't seen it in about 2 decades so could be completely wrong. Don would've broke him into pieces, no doubt whatsoever ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

But he has placed in two Gold Cups on good ground in Cheltenham and placed in another on Good to Soft ground, those are his best runs, not sure why you are obsessing with his Thystes win and somehow using it as a negative.

I'm not "obsessing". I pointed out firstly that it's his only win over 3m (a handicap off a mark of 145). The second time I mentioned it was to refute this ludicrous comment
    The Durkam is irrelevant to me, over a trip and ground that suited neither of the principles, he has the form in the bag at Cheltenham.

where I pointed out all his wins are on soft to yielding or softer (i.e. the ground point is ludicrous) and his only win over 3m was in a handicap off 145 (i.e. the trip point is ludicrous). His only 2 Grade 1 wins were in the Durkan which somewhat surprisingly were run over the same trip as this season's renewal. I agree Sizing John may not have been suited. He also made an early howler, ran very keenly and was weak as water in the betting. Still smashed Djakadam by 7l however

Long story short some people think Djakadam is value at 33/1. I wouldn't back him or Faugheen with stolen money

• Advertisement

I wish nothing more than Vautour turned up for that Gold Cup so Don Cossack might get the credit he deserves, DC had his ears pricked all up the run in, had loads left in the tank. Vautour would've been breathing through his arse like he was in the King George.
    Don Cossack wasn't in Vautours league Pat. Different class altogether

Don Cossack wasn't in Vautours league Pat. Different class altogether

Classier perhaps, better stayer certainly not.
    Don Would've been getting scrubbed along a good bit out as Ruby sat motionless on Vautour but between the last 2 Ruby's thinking hold on this boy's not going away, just after the last the Don piles on the pressure, Vautour starts paddling and DC powers up the hill, probably pricking his ears again thinking jaysus i expected more of a race than that :)

handsfree2 wrote: »

50s with PP 1/5 EW
    Cheers, betting was suspended on PP when I checked

Fanny **** wrote: »

Long story short some people think Djakadam is value at 33/1. I wouldn't back him or Faugheen with stolen money
    Maybe if you recognised genuine value a +ev positions you wouldn't need to steal money 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Samcro is top class, there's no question about that. He'll improve as much for a strong pace and good ground. His actions suggests good ground would be no problem. How was the Deloitte terrible? The opposition is irrelevant anyway. The second fav could be rated 140 or 160, Samcro will lie up with the pace and he'll go and win when he's asked to. The opposition at Cheltenham will be pretty much the same level as the Deloitte and it will be the same result.

I'd agree on Monalee, they all kind of finished in a heap. I'd be looking for something at a bigger price. Fountains Windfall is class.

Might Bite at 3/1 is the best value in the Gold Cup without a doubt. Keeps winning yet seems to be questioned all the time. He was going to absolutely destroy Whisper who nearly won the Ladbrokes Trophy off 158. Might Bite is a 180+ horse imo. He would have given Denman a rattle in 2008. I cannot believe he is 3/1. He is a f##king beast of a thing. So many people are against him and I can't understand it. A lot of people are putting up Sizing John who was tailed off on his last run and whose best form is a few lengths defeat of Minella Rocco in a steadily run race. Edwulf has arguably better form than Sizing John.

Totally agree on Might Bite, he's a cracking bet.

Classier perhaps, better stayer certainly not.
    Don Would've been getting scrubbed along a good bit out as Ruby sat motionless on Vautour but between the last 2 Ruby's thinking hold on this boy's not going away, just after the last the Don piles on the pressure, Vautour starts paddling and DC powers up the hill, probably pricking his ears again thinking jaysus i expected more of a race than that :)
    I can respect that ☺
    Vautour far better chaser tho. Far classier horse
    (Ps only for Paddy B Cue Card was winning that race! )

Btw - Percy wins 2018 RSA not Monalee !!😉

mountai wrote: »
    Is it just me , or does anyone else give Road to Respect any chance . Great price IMHO @ 12/1 . Forgotten horse just like Solwhit all those years ago !!!.

On paper Mite Bites form looks pretty solid, beating frodon, whisper twice and winning the KG. Also the manner of his victory in the RSA was stunning.

Having said that, I'm not convinced. He beat Frondon over an inadequate trip. The KG didn't look like a great race IMO. So I'd be willing to take him on.

Road to respect and edwulf have won the Irish grade 1s so they have to be respected. And at 12s (8s on PP) and 25s they're at backable prices.

It's hard to back with confidence anything else in the race, given how the season has gone for the others so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Btw - Percy wins 2018 RSA not Monalee !!😉

As a Monalee backer, your opinion on this has made my ****ing day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Maybe if you recognised genuine value a +ev positions you wouldn't need to steal money ��

[edit]
    Flaming
    Posts containing personal attacks on another user will be edited/deleted. Attack the post, not the poster. Minor infringements will warrant a warning followed by a ban. Serious infringements and/or intentional flaming will receive an automatic ban.

Advertisement