Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ionity charging network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Or just make all chargers accessible in the first place like petrol pumps are....

Yes! This is not car parking. We need to discourage people from thinking it is. If the chargers we're arranged like petrol pumps, they would be less likely to be iced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Or just make all chargers accessible in the first place like petrol pumps are....

I haven't seen this particular setup but is the problem with multi chargers not that you drive or reverse into them so there will be little room for a wheelchair to manoeuvre (as stopped beside car to left/right) whereas with a petrol/diesel pump you park parallel and have plenty of space to exit the vehicle and manoeuvre

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,562 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Like the Fastned setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder what are the chances of existing petrol stations with declining revenue in the future, converting to EV charging stations?
    If it happened with a good percentage of them, this big fear ICE drivers have of being caught without fuel on a journey would be eliminated. It might herald the more widespread use of smaller batteries and cheaper EVs.

Weather covered charging stations are a must in my view, and full allowances for all of our populations' needs should be built in from the beginning. That includes space, ramps, etc. for wheelchair users to be able to manoeuvre around their own vehicle as well as not have interference from other vehicles charging.

Something else that needs to be remembered ..... there is a reasonably large percentage of our driving population which do not make use of smart phones to any great extent.
    So this idea of 'check with your phone' is close to meaningless to them.

I do like the looks of most Fastned charging stations.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

E.On and Clever recently launched this style of EV charging station.

abb-cobe-clever-ladestation-charging-station-denmark-daenemark-thomas-walther-02-min.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Clever thing about EON and Fastned stations (see what I did) is that they also support CHAdeMO as they are not tied to Ford and VW. They would be a great addition to the irish market also due to that weather protection they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Yeah this is the ticket. Have a fourcourt with a cover and side on access to the charger. Make it very apparent that its for charging. And longer cables!!! Ioniq drivers with current FCP have to reverse in, and can only use the left hand parking spot due to the cable length :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jusmeig wrote: »
    Yeah this is the ticket. Have a fourcourt with a cover and side on access to the charger. Make it very apparent that its for charging. And longer cables!!! Ioniq drivers with current FCP have to reverse in, and can only use the left hand parking spot due to the cable length :(

Sure an e-tron can barely use them and they're backed by the company that manufactures the bloody thing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Same craic with the eGolf

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's ironic that the Irish branch of Ionity seems to place them front on which suits 3 Hyundai models and no other CCS cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah this is the ticket. Have a fourcourt with a cover and side on access to the charger.

So clever. Where did they come up with this brilliant setup? Oh wait, petrol stations the world over have been like this for the guts of 100 years :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Athlone popped up on the map now:

TLUflMal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Athlone popped up on the map now
    Excellent, guessing that's the new service station on the dublin side of Athlone.

I'm just wondering what's the problem with the M9, are they planning to close it or something, ? for a major route it's the worst served, horrendous joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Excellent, guessing that's the new service station on the dublin side of Athlone.

Doesn't seem to be. That's a few km east of Athlone. On the map, it's at the existing Kilmartins service station/Creggan Court hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

_dof_ wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be. That's a few km east of Athlone. On the map, it's at the existing Kilmartins service station/Creggan Court hotel.

Would they have it at Michael Moore, VW and Audi dealer and not to far from motorway

Plenty of space to install as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Would they have it at Michael Moore, VW and Audi dealer and not to far from motorway

Plenty of space to install as well

Note the Gorey pin was miles off the final location. The ground works seem to be progressing well in Gorey, but I think it may be a while before it is ready for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Wow Ionity are really going for it, they'll have more charging locations than Tesla soon, assuming they're going to keep going and build the other three they have planning permission for...

CHAdeMO on my Leaf is looking less and less like a good idea :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I agree that's what the map says but there is sweet feck all spare space at Kilmartins, makes way more sense to have it at the new service centre, hopefully have a Tesla Supercharger stop there too!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

How do the ionity chargers stack up against the e-cars rapid chargers? I can get 50KW/h into my Ioniq from the e-cars chargers. Should I expected a faster charge from ionity (assuming only 1 of the chargers in the bank of 4 is charging at the time - I hear they slow down a bit when multiple cars are charging at the same time).

• Advertisement

How do the ionity chargers stack up against the e-cars rapid chargers? I can get 50KW/h into my Ioniq from the e-cars chargers. Should I expected a faster charge from ionity (assuming only 1 of the chargers in the bank of 4 is charging at the time - I hear they slow down a bit when multiple cars are charging at the same time).

You should get up to 75kw as far as I know, I think that's the max the Ioniq can do if I'm not mistaken.

Have a look through Bjorn Nyland's vids on youtube for Ionity, he has one where someone was charging an Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Ioniq is supposed to be capable of 100kW... but don't expect it to charge at more than 70kW. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes, is the answer.

The max you get from current eCars chargers is about 45kW.

Ionity will give your Ioniq its max of 70kW but you wont get that 70kW for the entire charge session as the Ioniq will taper back as it charges up... I think from Bjorn's tests the average over the full charge session was around 62kW.

KCross wrote: »
    Yes, is the answer.

The max you get from current eCars chargers is about 45kW.

Ionity will give your Ioniq its max of 70kW but you wont get that 70kW for the entire charge session as the Ioniq will taper back as it charges up... I think from Bjorn's tests the average over the full charge session was around 62kW.

Ioniq charge curve starts at about 65kW, rising to ~71kW at 77-78% SOC, at which point the tapering starts, although it is generally still drawing 18-22kW at 94% when the charge stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Zenith74 wrote:
    CHAdeMO on my Leaf is looking less and less like a good idea

I wouldn't worry too much. If pricing between the suppliers is similar it's likely that CCS drivers will avoid triple head single charging points leaving ecars primarily to leaf drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Ioniq charge curve starts at about 65kW, rising to ~71kW at 77-78% SOC, at which point the tapering starts, although it is generally still drawing 18-22kW at 94% when the charge stops.

I was basing it off Bjorn's test. Started at 61kW @ 12% SoC.
    It was upto 80% SoC in 20mins and had tapered to 50kW.
    Down to 22kW @ 85% SoC.

The average charge rate upto 80% SoC is in the low 60s. Excellent for a 28kWh battery.

In fairness I was basing it on my memory of that same video (I never got to test my Ioniq on a 100kW charger).
    Very fast (2.8C) for a 28kWh battery and the newer Ioniq doesnt get the same charge curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Is there an overlay anywhere of the current and planned CCS chargers (including Superchargers and Ionity)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is there an overlay anywhere of the current and planned CCS chargers (including Superchargers and Ionity)?

In terms of fast chargers, Tesla have some CCS (2 per site) but only charge Tesla, ESB have not indicated locations of future chargers although many sites have ducting and bollards for a second charger, ionity we have planning permissions and 3 sites on their map, easygo have 2 fast sites Monaghan and Midlands, the Midlands one has 2 chargers. Easy go have plans for a lot more fast chargers. On apps like zap Map you can filter by up and running sites, although plugshare app may be better. Most suppliers are not telling where as it may depend on where the competition set up and they may want exclusive agreements with specific sites or petrol station brands. The esb is supposed to start rolling out in September over a number of years. I expect a sudden surge followed by pay to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

KCross wrote: »
    I was basing it off Bjorn's test. Started at 61kW @ 12% SoC.
    It was upto 80% SoC in 20mins and had tapered to 50kW.
    Down to 22kW @ 85% SoC.

The average charge rate upto 80% SoC is in the low 60s. Excellent for a 28kWh battery.

Down to 22kW @ 85% SoC. if it was chademo I would suggest free that charger up for an outlander, :D:):rolleyes:

Advertisement