Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bowrow

Got dates for medical
    Has to be done before June
    Anyone know timeframe roughly from medical to pct to training.i understand clearance can take awhile.ive holidays booked for October but thinking I wont be called untill next year if successful

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

Bowrow wrote: »
    Got dates for medical
    Has to be done before June
    Anyone know timeframe roughly from medical to pct to training.i understand clearance can take awhile.ive holidays booked for October but thinking I wont be called untill next year if successful

Surely they will use this panel before taking on people from the 2019 panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pockets16

Got call yesterday. In June class

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Thanks for your reply. I did the stage 1&2 preparation course there recently with career service in Dublin. Will be hoping to do the stage 3 prep course aswell. Yeah I think it's going to be about €160 so can start saving now for it. I wouldnt mind the drive whenever it is but Dublin would be more convenient. I was just hoping to know if anyone went anywhere else but you seem very happy with the stage 3 course from career services and as you said you flew through it. So hopefully that stage 3 course will be enough for me and good solid preparation will help me pass this time around. I missed it by a small margin last year so very determined to get it this year. Have you started training yet? Thanks again for replying :)

I did interview course with Career Services last year too Definitely helped and I passed interview. Think it was 160e. Book it early, I just barely got a place after a cancellation!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭irishgirl91

I did interview course with Career Services last year too Definitely helped and I passed interview. Think it was 160e. Book it early, I just barely got a place after a cancellation!

I have an email notification set up at the moment. Stage 2 is a few weeks away yet and then the wait for results. I will be booking a place promptly though. Sounds like the interview course is definitely worth doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 DG74

Jakeren7 wrote: »
    Got call today starting on the 10th June training

Congrats , when did you do your interview

Well done I'm the same myself got call yesterday. Can you remember what dates they said we get two weeks holidays of for the summer while we're in training ??
    Congrats how long were you waiting for your clearance to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

DG74 wrote: »
    Congrats , when did you do your interview

Interview was in July

Interview was in July

Thanks , I only did interview in Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭irishgirl91

Interview was in July

Is that a typical waiting time for successful candidates from interview to training? Was your vetting slowed or is that just how long it takes.. i know it can differ but curious on average waiting times.. From your comments your interview was in July and now training in June

Good luck by the way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 KBHC

Thanks , I only did interview in Jan

How did u get on in your pct??
    I’ve mine next Thursday 16th May and there’s another one on 13th June. They are only done on a Thursday the lady said.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

Does anyone know the basic starting wage for a RPO?

And how much does it go up when qualified(2 years to prison officer grade)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

For anyone that has previously done the PCT can you remember how long it takes on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

User2206 wrote: »
    For anyone that has previously done the PCT can you remember how long it takes on the day?

PCT itself takes about 2/3 hours, but theres an introduction thing after that everyone that passes must attend, so its near enough a full day

KBHC wrote: »
    How did u get on in your pct??
    I’ve mine next Thursday 16th May and there’s another one on 13th June. They are only done on a Thursday the lady said.

Pct was fine , how did you get on today

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KBHC

Pct was fine , how did you get on today

24 out of 25 passed a girl got injured on first run and couldn’t go on. Yea it was fine.
    Have you a date for training yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Any from the last batch of interviews still waiting to be called for medical?

KBHC wrote: »
    24 out of 25 passed a girl got injured on first run and couldn’t go on. Yea it was fine.
    Have you a date for training yet??

No , no date yet

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jennyb053

I got called for pct on June 13th but I'm going to have to defer, I had an emergency minor op last week and I'm afraid I won't pass it as I can't go back training for at least another 2 weeks. I'm raging, this process is already so long. I thought you had 2 attempts at the fitness test but from what I read this morning it's on the same day they give you 2 attempts. I would have done it to see and then if I had to do it again what about it. I just don't want to feck it up I've been training since I passed my interview in Jan. It's the 600m shuttles I'm afraid of😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mgt10

It's a second chance on another day ����

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 BommerF90

jennyb053 wrote: »
    I got called for pct on June 13th but I'm going to have to defer, I had an emergency minor op last week and I'm afraid I won't pass it as I can't go back training for at least another 2 weeks. I'm raging, this process is already so long. I thought you had 2 attempts at the fitness test but from what I read this morning it's on the same day they give you 2 attempts. I would have done it to see and then if I had to do it again what about it. I just don't want to feck it up I've been training since I passed my interview in Jan. It's the 600m shuttles I'm afraid of😂

Got called myself for the PCT 13th June and have had to defer due to injuring myself yesterday. I emailed to see how long the wait was for the next PCT and said if it was too long away,i would chance doing it with the injury.
    Got an email this morning to say theres one 25th July and advised me to do that because you can only defer and repeat once

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

My advice to anyone would be not to defer anything if you can at all.

On joining you're given a pay number which determines your seniority. All transfers etc go on seniority so in the future if you're looking to go to Limerick / Cork / Portlaoise or wherever you have to wait your turn. A difference of a few numbers can make a huge difference in your waiting time in terms of months or even years. It's constantly changing according to retirements etc. so there's no specific waiting time for transfers but if. for instance, Limerick got an influx of 20 new staff in the next six months then chances are it would slow to a dribble after that with maybe only one or two a year getting down there. It's completely luck of the draw and good timing but the lower your pay number the better off you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

My advice to anyone would be not to defer anything if you can at all.

On joining you're given a pay number which determines your seniority. All transfers etc go on seniority so in the future if you're looking to go to Limerick / Cork / Portlaoise or wherever you have to wait your turn. A difference of a few numbers can make a huge difference in your waiting time in terms of months or even years. It's constantly changing according to retirements etc. so there's no specific waiting time for transfers but if. for instance, Limerick got an influx of 20 new staff in the next six months then chances are it would slow to a dribble after that with maybe only one or two a year getting down there. It's completely luck of the draw and good timing but the lower your pay number the better off you are.

I heard there is good movement now in terms of people looking to get back to Cork. I'm afraid by the time I get in that it will be back to people waiting ten years or so to get down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I heard there is good movement now in terms of people looking to get back to Cork. I'm afraid by the time I get in that it will be back to people waiting ten years or so to get down.

I'd guess that if you start before the end of next year (2020) you won't be too bad. Obviously though that depends entirely on how many from Cork / Kerry / Waterford /Tipp are recruited in the meantime.

I'll be gone in 2024 - you can take my spot then !! :D

So sick of waiting now at this stage.

Yeah I rang and the girl straightened everything out. There's a class starting in August so she said defer my fitness till July. My clearance still isn't back yet anyway. It'll all work out, be grandðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 21 callum21

I got emailed about Medical this morning. I think we were in the same batch.

Clearance is back! Did my interview in January ðŸ™

jennyb053 wrote: »
    Clearance is back! Did my interview in January ðŸ™

Do you have a big family? Is six months the norm for this?!

• Advertisement

weadick wrote: »
    Do you have a big family? Is six months the norm for this?!

No I only have one aunt and uncle. All addresses in Ireland. Yeah 6 mths and longer I think. Now as long as I don't trip over myself doing the fitness I'll be happy 😂

Advertisement