Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

User2206 wrote: »
    Longest wait ever waiting to be called for my interview! I’m in the 300’s and thought I would have well been called by now!!

A poster a few pages back said they were 210 and had their interview so your not too far away, maybe early 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Borrow

User2206 wrote: »
    Longest wait ever waiting to be called for my interview! I’m in the 300’s and thought I would have well been called by now!!
    Do you know how many they call at a time?
    What if all the job vacancies are full before they reach your oom?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Borrow

User2557 wrote: »
    I've passed all the assessment is it too late to be called for an interview,has it moved by that stage?

It all depends on your oom ranking.the lower the ranking means quicker the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

Is there anybody else waiting to hear about a medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

I heard out of the last class that only 7 people actually took the job, big drop out rate when you first walk around the prison for the first tour.

• Advertisement

Dangerous?
    Yes and No.. How you react to things can determine the outcome.. If you go at the prisoners all guns blazing you'll get resistance from them, and you could end up fighting with them..And there might not be enough staff around to step in, you could be on your own until the Blue wave arrives..

Support.
    As in staff, if an issue happens on the landing, you could have staff there in 30secs..ie (a fight)
    If its a bigger issue, our response is well planned and supported.

If you mean support as in personal issues, yes we have support available in different forms.

Thanks for the feed back,

What about treats to your family, I'm sure it's full of lads that "know where you live"? Anything ever happen on that end to a prison officer

I heard two officers got slashed few weeks back in mountjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gmanno1 wrote: »

What about treats to your family, I'm sure it's full of lads that "know where you live"? Anything ever happen on that end to a prison officer

That was by a guy who should have been in isolation. He had made all sorts of threats and prison staff had already voiced their concerns.

I would have expected them to be keeping a better watch on him though.

That was by a guy who should have been in isolation. He had made all sorts of threats and prison staff had already voiced their concerns.

I would have expected them to be keeping a better watch on him though.

Thanks,

yeah I heard that too. That's why is asked about managment support in an earlier post, seems a bit crazy something like that could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

I would certainly say that when some of the candidates get to see the reality of life in prison they have second thoughts about the job

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    I would certainly say that when some of the candidates get to see the reality of life in prison they have second thoughts about the job

Indeed,

suppose it is a military type job. Routine is the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 IceOnMeKnee

They all carry that threat..when they are closed in behind the door..

The two officers, it happens and its not the officers fault.. The spineless pricks at the top of the totem pole are more responsible for this than the staff..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

farrelly90 wrote: »
    Is there anybody else waiting to hear about a medical?

I’m still waiting done interview in July

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Can any single person pm me what what pay is in training and after training roughly?

It's just I know there can be a big difference between been single and married with regards tax credits...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

Is a cover letter or anything to reference the prison service needed when sending the audiograhm and medical to the CMO??

Is it not the audiologist who sends off the results of the hearing test to the CMO and like wise the medical results sent off by the GP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beefy13

Anybody due to get a contract after the physicals get the contract?

Is it not the audiologist who sends off the results of the hearing test to the CMO and like wise the medical results sent off by the GP ?

No you send in the results

Stephenwrx wrote: »
    Is a cover letter or anything to reference the prison service needed when sending the audiograhm and medical to the CMO??

Nothing needed just you results.

Unless there us something you think needs clerifcation on it

Can any single person pm me what what pay is in training and after training roughly?

It's just I know there can be a big difference between been single and married with regards tax credits...

8. PAY AND ALLOWANCES

Salary
    As of 1 January 2018 the following salary scale applies to Recruit Prison Officers:

PPC €28,690.00 €30,113.00 €32,941.00
    NORMAL MAX

A different pay scale may apply if the individual has previously worked in the Public Service.

Entry will be at the minimum point of the scale.

Work on Saturday, Sunday, public holidays and nights attract premium payments. Recruit Prison Officers will also receive other allowances e.g. Operational Allowance (8% of annual salary). The allocation of up to 360 additional hours will attract further premium payments.

The Additional Hours System provides for extra attendance by staff. It involves the allocation of up to 360 hours maximum per person per annum. (Under this system a lower number of hours may be allocated, i.e. 240 hours, 112 hours, or nil hours.)

The rate of remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government policy.

Superannuation and Retirement
    The successful candidate will be offered the appropriate superannuation terms and conditions as prevailing in the Civil Service at the time of being offered an appointment. In general, an appointee who has never worked in the Public Service will be offered appointment based on membership of the Single Public Service Pension Scheme (“Single Scheme”). Full details of the Scheme are at http://www.per.gov.ie/pensions

Where the appointee has worked in a pensionable (non-single scheme terms) public service job in the 26 weeks prior to appointment or is currently on a career break or special leave with/without pay different terms may apply. The pension entitlement of such appointees will be established in the context of their public service employment history.

Key provisions attaching to membership of the Single Scheme are as follows:

Pensionable Age
    The Scheme’s minimum pension age is 66 years, rising in line with increases in the State Pension (Contributory) qualifying age to 67 years in 2021 and 68 years in 2028.
    For Prison Officers who are members of the Single Scheme, the minimum pension age is 55 years.

Retirement Age
    Scheme members must retire at the age of 70.
    However earlier compulsory retirement ages may apply to certain occupations, and in the case of Prison Officers, retirement on reaching age 60 years is compulsory.
    As mentioned above, the career progression of a RPO is to the grade of Prison Officer. The Prison Officer grade has a maximum retirement age of 60 and may retire from age 55 with immediate payment of pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

Both the audiologists and the doctor handed me back the reports to send off. Might just differ from place to place

• Advertisement

8. PAY AND ALLOWANCES

Salary
    As of 1 January 2018 the following salary scale applies to Recruit Prison Officers:

PPC €28,690.00 €30,113.00 €32,941.00
    NORMAL MAX

A different pay scale may apply if the individual has previously worked in the Public Service.

Entry will be at the minimum point of the scale.

Work on Saturday, Sunday, public holidays and nights attract premium payments. Recruit Prison Officers will also receive other allowances e.g. Operational Allowance (8% of annual salary). The allocation of up to 360 additional hours will attract further premium payments.

The Additional Hours System provides for extra attendance by staff. It involves the allocation of up to 360 hours maximum per person per annum. (Under this system a lower number of hours may be allocated, i.e. 240 hours, 112 hours, or nil hours.)

The rate of remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government policy.

Superannuation and Retirement
    The successful candidate will be offered the appropriate superannuation terms and conditions as prevailing in the Civil Service at the time of being offered an appointment. In general, an appointee who has never worked in the Public Service will be offered appointment based on membership of the Single Public Service Pension Scheme (“Single Scheme”). Full details of the Scheme are at http://www.per.gov.ie/pensions

Where the appointee has worked in a pensionable (non-single scheme terms) public service job in the 26 weeks prior to appointment or is currently on a career break or special leave with/without pay different terms may apply. The pension entitlement of such appointees will be established in the context of their public service employment history.

Key provisions attaching to membership of the Single Scheme are as follows:

Pensionable Age
    The Scheme’s minimum pension age is 66 years, rising in line with increases in the State Pension (Contributory) qualifying age to 67 years in 2021 and 68 years in 2028.
    For Prison Officers who are members of the Single Scheme, the minimum pension age is 55 years.

Retirement Age
    Scheme members must retire at the age of 70.
    However earlier compulsory retirement ages may apply to certain occupations, and in the case of Prison Officers, retirement on reaching age 60 years is compulsory.
    As mentioned above, the career progression of a RPO is to the grade of Prison Officer. The Prison Officer grade has a maximum retirement age of 60 and may retire from age 55 with immediate payment of pension.

It's around €24000( not including OT, or any other allowances)

If you and your wife earn €69,000 before tax anything over that amount will be taxed at 40%

Any body know when the next PCT test is November or December?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Allo1976

Paddy 42 wrote:
    Any body know when the next PCT test is November or December?

Nov 8th,Dec 6th

Just out of curiosity.
    This Question was posted before but I can't see any definitive answer to it so I'll ask it again.
    When are references checked?
    During security clearance or after security clearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Has anyone that is still waiting on their interview been onto PAS lately in regards to when the next batch of interviews are taken place?

I’m low 200’s on OOM but still haven’t got date for medical. Anyone else waiting?

farrelly90 wrote: »
    I’m low 200’s on OOM but still haven’t got date for medical. Anyone else waiting?

I'm below 150 in the oom and haven't got anything yet, think the next fitness test is December 6th. So hopfully the next few weeks.

Are you doing sprint training? Or what sort of training are you doing?

I'm below 150 in the oom and haven't got anything yet, think the next fitness test is December 6th. So hopfully the next few weeks.

Are you doing sprint training? Or what sort of training are you doing?

Have you not got your medical either? Please god in the next few weeks.

Doing a bit of sprint training, mainly just trying to do the 600 meters in under 3 mins. I know it will be 15 meter dashes but I know a lad who’s in the college at the moment and he done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CeeCeeMack

I'm wondering if those who are doing the PCT next week will be on track to start in the January class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

It's all down to when your clearance comes through CeeCeeMack. If you've passed the PCT, and your clearance has also been passed, you'll get an offer for the next starting class that has a vacancy.

Advertisement