Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

Ya it is probably worth giving them a ring to see how things are progressing for you.
    I would say that they will be calling more candidates forward again tho shortly for medical and hearing test.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

It’s the office of the CMO in Smithfield. As far as I’m aware that’s who you need to contact if there is an issue and vice versa.

Cheers
    Have you done the online questionaire,its the details in the first page I'm enquiring about,
    in the details of position section it asks for
    employing dept/service/authority
    then
    department/public appointments service contact name
    then
    telephone/email of above contact

The employing department is IPS
    As for the public appointments section just put recruit prison officer section.
    I'm sure if this is wrong some one will correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DuckHuntMadra

Stephenwrx wrote: »
    Cheers
    Have you done the online questionaire,its the details in the first page I'm enquiring about,
    in the details of position section it asks for
    employing dept/service/authority
    then
    department/public appointments service contact name
    then
    telephone/email of above contact

I put the signatory of the mail in there, no issue. Everything went smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 IceOnMeKnee

Lads, Don't post up your OOM numbers.

They look at these pages to see what's going on, And should you be successful when you arrive at the college, they'll be able to go "Oh Joe Blogs, he was number 50889 and posts on Boards as XYZ" they'll snoop around then..

Its a drawn out process, I applied in 2008 and got in at the end of 2010..Its easy for me to say it now, but you just have to be patient.. I know it would be nice if they gave the odd update on things..

• Advertisement

StefanSage wrote: »
    Anybody know if prison officers get paid weekly or monthly?

Weakly, every fortnight on a Thursday.

How are you enjoying it! are you based in Dublin

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    How are you enjoying it! are you based in Dublin

Truthfully..
    I like my job, I don't love it.. Every day is different..
    Yeah, I'm in Dublin,Everyone starts in Dublin, and then you can go on the transfer list to try and get down the country if you want..I'm in the west Dublin campus..(Wheatfield and Cloverhill)..

Ahh right very good ya it's a strange environment inside prisons

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

Truthfully..
    I like my job, I don't love it.. Every day is different..
    Yeah, I'm in Dublin,Everyone starts in Dublin, and then you can go on the transfer list to try and get down the country if you want..I'm in the west Dublin campus..(Wheatfield and Cloverhill)..

Is the job dangerous?

Is there enough support in the prison to deal with the issues?

• Advertisement

Gmanno1 wrote: »
    Is the job dangerous?

Is there enough support in the prison to deal with the issues?

Dangerous?
    Yes and No.. How you react to things can determine the outcome.. If you go at the prisoners all guns blazing you'll get resistance from them, and you could end up fighting with them..And there might not be enough staff around to step in, you could be on your own until the Blue wave arrives..

Support.
    As in staff, if an issue happens on the landing, you could have staff there in 30secs..ie (a fight)
    If its a bigger issue, our response is well planned and supported.

If you mean support as in personal issues, yes we have support available in different forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beefy13

Thank you for your responses IceOnMeKnee. Could I just ask about the additional hours system? Generally do staff work the full 360 additional hours in the year? If so are these made up of additional long days like 8 to 8 or shorter shifts? Do you feel you get enough time off in your role? Thanks!

Beefy13 wrote: »
    Thank you for your responses IceOnMeKnee. Could I just ask about the additional hours system? Generally do staff work the full 360 additional hours in the year? If so are these made up of additional long days like 8 to 8 or shorter shifts? Do you feel you get enough time off in your role? Thanks!

The additional hours are available in different bands.

Very few are on 0 band.

Its broke down into quarters, so. I'm on 240 therefore I do 60 extra hours every quarter, each jail does the ah different, Mountjoy an AH day is 8-5,where I am, it's an 8-8. You can run down your hours by doing dinner guard, or look for nightduty etc..

Yeah, without AH you only work 7 days out if 14.. You're off every second weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun)
    You work 12 hour shifts. The bulk of them start at 8am, with the odd 7am start thrown in too. Nights are spread over the quarter, and are 8-8 as well..

Do you get to pick your AH band or is this assigned to you? Does it change over time?

Do you get to pick your AH band or is this assigned to you? Does it change over time?

Everybody starts at 360..
    A couple of years ago we were given the option of going up or down a band. I took 240 as it suited us for childminding etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CeeCeeMack

Does anyone have any idea on class dates? I think someone said there is one in December, will the one after be Feb or later? Dying for this process to be finished

If you ring the IPS they will tell you the dates of the proposed training class intakes

CeeCeeMack wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea on class dates? I think someone said there is one in December, will the one after be Feb or later? Dying for this process to be finished

There is one definitely starting on the 3rd of December! I believe the one after then is the 14th of January.

Are you just waiting on your security clearance to come back or what stage are you at?

Have to past physical in two weeks but am fairly confident I will!!

• Advertisement

Very good were you the June or July batch of interviews?

I was June! So hopefully it won't be too long

Well just get your PCT out the way and then hopefully you will get called forward to start training then shortly after that.best of luck with your PCT

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

Anybody know what OOM they are at to be called for a medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Anyone else still waiting on their contract for December? Wish it will come soon, will make thing more real :-)

Anyone else still waiting on their contract for December? Wish it will come soon, will make thing more real :-)

Still waiting too! I’d imagine they’ll hold on until the full class has clearance back...send them out in bulk then! Would be nice to get it soon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 deeodee

Still waiting too! I’d imagine they’ll hold on until the full class has clearance back...send them out in bulk then! Would be nice to get it soon though!

Still waiting on clearance first.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

How do IPS get in touch when your clearance is back and they're offering you a contract and start date? Is it email or phone call? I've everything else done!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Longest wait ever waiting to be called for my interview! I’m in the 300’s and thought I would have well been called by now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 User2557

I've passed all the assessment is it too late to be called for an interview,has it moved by that stage?

Advertisement