Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bmrhcp

Got my medical invite email this morning 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

I got mine too at last

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SHANES1990

farrelly90 wrote: »
    Do you have the medical and physical already done?

I do indeed pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Allo1976

How's the nerves for the PCT thurs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

Are you doing the PCT on Thursday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Allo1976 wrote: »

I'm looking forward to the day out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

Quick question with regard to the PCT shuttle runs ... am I right in saying it involves running half the shuttles backwards ?? Or does anyone who completed it know??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

No you turn and run it normally

Allo1976 wrote: »
    A bit nervous ... but I don’t know why to be fair!!

No you turn and run it normally

Nice one cheers... got a bit freaked when I read back through it, have you done yours or know someone who has ?

• Advertisement

Stephenwrx wrote: »
    Nice one cheers... got a bit freaked when I read back through it, have you done yours or know someone who has ?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

Is it 32 push ups in 1 min?

Gmanno1 wrote: »

No push ups as far as I know

Another question regarding the PCT
    Do they run the fitness test in groups and who keeps track of the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Is it just a run for the PCT? Is there anything else involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Gmanno1 wrote:

How can you not know what the pct involves at this stage, you've been offering variations on it for months now.

What preparation should you do for the tests? This depends upon your fitness and strength levels. Anyone with reasonable strength and fitness should be able to pass the tests. If you feel that your fitness or strength level may be insufficient to pass the tests, you may wish to participate in fitness / strength training at your local gym or sports club prior to the testing.

What should you wear for the tests? You will need to bring standard PE or sports kit - shorts / top with sports shoes.

How will you know what to do? You will be given detailed instructions when you attend for the test and general guidelines will also be posted on the IPS website at www.irishprisons.ie

What will happen if you fail a test? All tests must be passed. You will have two opportunities to do so. If after two attempts you fail you will be told at the time that you have failed to make the minimum standard for a test. Feedback will be provided on whether you passed or failed the physical competency assessment. The tests will comprise the following:- (i) Running / carrying tests

Aerobic Test: This tests cardiovascular endurance, and simulates running around a building, with constant changes of direction. This test involves running over and back between two points 15 metres apart. The test involves 40 continuous shuttle runs to give a total distance of 600 metres. You must complete this test in 210 seconds (3 min 30 seconds) or less.

Anaerobic Test: This tests your ability to sprint, and simulates the response to an emergency. This test involves 7 shuttle runs (i.e. 7 x 15 metres) done as quickly as possible. You must complete this test in 35 seconds or less. Fire-extinguisher carry test: This tests your ability to carry a standard fire extinguisher through a building in an emergency. You should carry a standard fire extinguisher, weighing 14 Kg, 30 m (two shuttles) without dropping it. You must complete this test in 30 seconds or less. (ii) Strength / power tests These tests assess upper body strength, grip and hold strength required in control and restraint techniques.

Seated bench press: You will complete 5 measured bench-presses using a concept-II ergo meter. The average bench press over the 5 should be 34 Kg or higher. Seated bench pull: You will complete 5 measured benchpulls using the conceptII ergo meter. The average bench pull over the 5 should be 34 Kg or

higher Grip Strength : . This is measured using a standard grip strength ergo meter. You will be asked to squeeze as hard as you can with right and left hands (you will get two attempts with each hand) Minimum strength to pass: Dominant hand Nondominant hand

Shield Hold: 32 kg 30 kg The test will require a standard riot shield, of about from of the body in a stipulated position. minimum of 60 seconds. 6 Kg to be held in The shield must be held in position for a for 60 sec

Good man, you can copy and paste. Care to enlighten us as to why you're muddying the waters for other candidates by throwing in mention of push-ups. Are you some kind of low functioning troll?

wexfjord wrote: »
    Good man, you can copy and paste. Care to enlighten us as to why you're muddying the waters for other candidates by throwing in mention of push-ups. Are you some kind of low functioning troll?

Lad everything ok?

Gmanno1 wrote:
    Lad everything ok?

Carlow troll?

• Advertisement

Lad everything ok?

It's a fair question he's asking ya. What are you on about push ups for? You obviously have access to exactly what's required of us on the day so why are you commenting for the sake of it? Can confuse people who are not as far along as we are and don't have access to what's expected during the PCT.

Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    It's a fair question he's asking ya. What are you on about push ups for? You obviously have access to exactly what's required of us on the day so why are you commenting for the sake of it? Can confuse people who are not as far along as we are and don't have access to what's expected during the PCT.

How am I confusing anyone, if anything I cleared something up. We don't have push ups on the day.

I was asking people that have already completed it, is it exactly what's on that form or is there other exercises involved. Simple Question

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How am I confusing anyone, if anything I cleared something up. We don't have push ups on the day.

I was asking people that have already completed it, is it exactly what's on that form or is there other exercises involved. Simple Question

There is the push/ pull test that you may be well confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Allo1976

Easy lads , lets all look forward to a good day thurs , last hurdle in what has been the rollercoaster of a life time !!!

I don't see why there'd be something else on the day that's not outlined. They're not out to trick us or catch anyone out on the day. Anyway, at least you know now. Best of luck with it.

Can someone just add some additional information to a candidate who posted previously on here, saying they tell you what number shuttle you are on as you are running.
    Do you get divided up to to groups of X amount and run the shuttles like that and is it up to yourself to keep track of the time?
    Or how is it conducted?

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    Can someone just add some additional information to a candidate who posted previously on here, saying they tell you what number shuttle you are on as you are running.
    Do you get divided up to to groups of X amount and run the shuttles like that and is it up to yourself to keep track of the time?
    Or how is it conducted?

Groups of 5 or so, they have a person at each end. They will tell you what number and time left if asked

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DuckHuntMadra

It’s possible he meant the Garda one which I think has push ups involved.

Anyway, best of luck to you all tomorrow. Nerves aside its enjoyable. Good people. Hopefully see some of you in January.

Best of luck to all tomorrow, relax and enjoy it lads

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Hi could anyone tell me what is involved in the fitness test. Thanks in advance

Advertisement