Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to live in America

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yester wrote: »
    I know it has it's problems but it has a lot going for it. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. So how do I go about becoming an American citizen?

and pay taxes to the US government for the rest of your life even if you decide to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Chrongen wrote: »
    Well if you are willing to take the ferry to Roscoff in France then you could get in your car and drive from there to Hong Kong.

I think driving through parts of middle east would be a bit unnerving!
    An american road trip would be absolutely amazing, I think one of the best in the world, the variety of scenery and cities you'd see travelling from east to west coast would be spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Well if you are willing to take the ferry to Roscoff in France then you could get in your car and drive from there to Hong Kong.

Yes but there would be a language barrier. My last trip abroad i got in a big argument with a spainish taxi driver. Me speaking english and him speaking Spanis. I have no idea what it was about but we were very angry at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That would be sensible I suppose. Where would you recommend for a holiday? I'm thinking New york.

I must be strange :pac: but I was not mad about New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

wakka12 wrote: »
    An american road trip would be absolutely amazing, I think one of the best in the world, the variety of scenery and cities you'd see travelling from east to west coast would be spectacular.

Personally would rather do the same but through Europe instead and with the free travel it would be easier to do.

• Advertisement

It does sound freaking awesome doesn't it ?

Yes but there would be a language barrier. My last trip abroad i got in a big argument with a spainish taxi driver. Me speaking english and him speaking Spanis. I have no idea what it was about but we were very angry at each other.

did it go something like this?

mariaalice wrote: »
    I must be strange :pac: but I was not mad about New York.

What didn't you like about it? I know some people find it a bit cold.

did it go something like this?

Yes but imagine it in reverse. I was Manuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Welll you can do Wales to Vladislavstock. However I agree the language makes a difference.

Book a long vacation.

I reckon the roads are possibly a bit better in the USA though.

And you won't need any extra visas.

And those distances are about 3 times the US roadtrip, but sure look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I reckon the roads are possibly a bit better in the USA though.

And you won't need any extra visas.

And those distances are about 3 times the US roadtrip, but sure look.

One of your cars would make the journey easier

http://media.giphy.com/media/l2JdSP4o5EZkTU16o/giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Padraig1888

The thing about the US is they get hardly any paid holiday days and bank holidays. You'll realise it's not so bad here tbh. Just our climate is gik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

If enough of us go we could set up our own gang. The Hillmans has a nice ring to it.
    hills have eyes sounds even better :pac: thou pretty sure that name is taken by another minority :D

US looks and sounds amazing in movies etc, but reality is pay is really low so that's why they have tips in place, even thou id leave tips here either if service is good, thus many take up 2 jobs just to sustain themselves which works out way over 40h week youd get here or in most EU.

next is healthcare which is terrible any ER visit or stay will rake up thousands then you have insurance companies which is like car insurance here rip off system, thou access to some meds is way better go to dentist and get any narco med, here ibuprofen is handled like class A even over the counter if your into that,then also weed is legal in most states Colorado and Cali would sound best.

if id have to pick location thou it would prob be Alaska state, smth about wast nature, and New Mexico for winter or texas for stakes etc.

main point thou is living costs aren't expensive but minimum wage and job market would be tough if no professional skills or some business in place to generate cash.

also big SUVs wide roads nationwide no ****ty pothole gravel like every second road here.

also if your into guns thats another plus put sign no trespass shot on sight, which Ireland also lacks a lot in when it comes to ones private property.

think covered most. now just to win lotto or smth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Too many gangs for my liking. Wouldn't even visit it as a holiday

The parish has tried to cool tensions between the gangs through sports.

and pay taxes to the US government for the rest of your life even if you decide to leave?

Ok that's a bit mad. That's a bit of a deterrent to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

it's incredibly difficult to get a Visa for the US, unfortunately, believe me I know, I tried multiple routes to move to California and none worked. You are much better off choosing somewhere like Canada, Australia, or somewhere in the EU if you want to live abroad.

Cina wrote: »
    it's incredibly difficult to get a Visa for the US, unfortunately, believe me I know, I tried multiple routes to move to California and none worked. You are much better off choosing somewhere like Canada, Australia, or somewhere in the EU if you want to live abroad.
    going by the numbers of illegals its sort of quite easy to get in and stay, thou no legal status and crap jobs prob would soon be to much to overstay for most.

scamalert wrote: »
    hills have eyes sounds even better :pac: thou pretty sure that name is taken by another minority :D

US looks and sounds amazing in movies etc, but reality is pay is really low so that's why they have tips in place, even thou id leave tips here either if service is good, thus many take up 2 jobs just to sustain themselves which works out way over 40h week youd get here or in most EU.

next is healthcare which is terrible any ER visit or stay will rake up thousands then you have insurance companies which is like car insurance here rip off system, thou access to some meds is way better go to dentist and get any narco med, here ibuprofen is handled like class A even over the counter if your into that,then also weed is legal in most states Colorado and Cali would sound best.

if id have to pick location thou it would prob be Alaska state, smth about wast nature, and New Mexico for winter or texas for stakes etc.

main point thou is living costs aren't expensive but minimum wage and job market would be tough if no professional skills or some business in place to generate cash.

also big SUVs wide roads nationwide no ****ty pothole gravel like every second road here.

also if your into guns thats another plus put sign no trespass shot on sight, which Ireland also lacks a lot in when it comes to ones private property.

think covered most. now just to win lotto or smth :D

Thanks for that. I actually did win the lotto a while back. Not the jackpot but 350k so how bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Life
    The United States has the highest murder rate in the western world (unless you consider South Africa to be a developed nation), and life expectancy 2 year lower than Ireland
    liberty
    The U.S. has the second highest rate of imprisonment in the world. Nearly a quarter of all prisoners worldwide, are in the U.S.
    the pursuit of happiness.
    It also has one of the worst income inequalities in the western world.

The United States is a failed social experiment. It's time for individual States to go their own ways. I have no idea why you'd want to move into that mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Would it fcuk? You get on the motorway at New York and the scenery doesn't fcuking change until you hit the Rockies. Mile after mile after mile of bullshit, for 2000 miles. If it's not prairie, it's desert, if it's not desert it's wheat fields. You get past the Rockies and you're back to desert/scrubland but at least you got the beautiful city of LA to look forward to.

Have yo ever driven across Europe? Through the Alps, through the Black Forest, Bavaria, Vienna, Budapest, the Dalmatian Coast, Athens, Istanbul? The Central Asian Steppe can be a bit boring but Iran is breathtaking, India, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.

Out of this world.

• Advertisement

well if you got 350 thats close to 400$k US look up corporate business setup most countries vary by 200-1mill and you get your visa, for setting up business if you got the capital needed, its a loophole for the rich, which gives enough time to apply for permanent visa afterwards.

Rory28 wrote: »
    Join the military. What could go wrong?
    I think you have to be legally resident there first to join - ie have a green card.

It could be a good recruiting tool.

Do you have any rare skills OP?

You can get your green card quicker if you are an alien of extraordinary ability.

Someone has made a chart:
    https://goo.gl/images/AEcQ1s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

My last trip abroad i got in a big argument with a Spanish taxi driver. Me speaking english and him speaking Spanish. I have no idea what it was about but we were very angry at each other.

:D Best post I've ever fukking read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Thanks for that. I actually did win the lotto a while back. Not the jackpot but 350k so how bad.

then go there and travel. You get nothing by being a citizen except more tax returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Would it fcuk? You get on the motorway at New York and the scenery doesn't fcuking change until you hit the Rockies. Mile after mile after mile of bullshit, for 2000 miles. If it's not prairie, it's desert, if it's not desert it's wheat fields. You get past the Rockies and you're back to desert/scrubland but at least you got the beautiful city of LA to look forward to.

Have yo ever driven across Europe? Through the Alps, through the Black Forest, Bavaria, Vienna, Budapest, the Dalmatian Coast, Athens, Istanbul? The Central Asian Steppe can be a bit boring but Iran is breathtaking, India, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.

Out of this world.

you are right about Europe, but in the US you could track north along the canadian border or south, to avoid the sameness of the centre. Though some people like that, it looks cinematographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Okay genuine question, actually 2 separate questions:

1) If you buy a holiday home in the states, like a lot of Brits for example do in Florida, you're only able to visit said holiday home for the maximum of the travel visa? Or are there rules for when you own property in the States?

2) Are there separate rules for celebrities or famous people to get a right to reside in the states? Take for example Donal Skehan who lives in LA now for almost a year. Nor he or his wife are American, yet he moved over because he wants to make business in the States; as someone who's self-employed could you find a sponsor like that? I know they had their kid in America, so that shouldn't be an issue for them anymore anyway, but still interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

scamalert wrote: »
    well if you got 350 thats close to 400$k US look up corporate business setup most countries vary by 200-1mill and you get your visa, for setting up business if you got the capital needed, its a loophole for the rich, which gives enough time to apply for permanent visa afterwards.

$1M at least for an investor visa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Fake News

Canada can't be much different from the states, or can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Fake News wrote: »
    Canada can't be much different from the states, or can it?

Absolutely.

Much stricter guns lows, far lower crime, much better health service, better social welfare.

Canada is sort of like living in the US with the benefits of a Western European state, so arguably better.

The thing about the US is that it's amazing if you're relatively well off, and pretty awful if you're poor.

Advertisement