Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann - seriously poor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    No 202 for over 45 minutes this morning, ended up getting a taxi and was late for work.
    The app was showing 3 mins, 2 mins, DUE and then 45 minutes (there is meant to be a service every 10 mins). Within a couple of minutes of it changing to 45 minutes, it would go back to 3 mins, 2 mins etc but nothing would show.

Going to complain via the links posted here, its actually a disgrace at this stage and cannot be depended on.

all users of the route need to do the same thing. if enough people complain then the issues will have to be sorted. same for any routes suffering constant reliability issues around the country.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Is it still a case of if you ask a driver(diplomatically) why was the bus late or didnt show up most of them would nearly tear the head off you for asking :D

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Is it still a case of if you ask a driver(diplomatically) why was the bus late or didnt show up most of them would nearly tear the head off you for asking

most of them? there are a couple of thousand drivers working for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Herself has to get the 215 Bus when I can't drop her in..

Anyway she has been on about this Driver for while. Basically he gives Lectures to passengers as they pay about cards, rules etc. He oldish enough, grey hair, mouthy. Can sometimes be very nice, but also can switch on people.

Anyway few weeks ago as she about to board Bus the door for Bus is closed with this driver inside. (Across road from Mahon point)She knocks on Bus, man ignores her. She said she stood there for 5 minutes and he would not open door. When he did eventually open it he said its "closed for safety reasons". But hey **** the passenger safety.

Another day she waited for a Hour and half for Bus on a Sunday day it's lashing rain. Again same Driver. Has to have rant as each person is getting on if card not working or whatever. At this stage people are cold and wet they don't need lecture about "Bus code"

Anyway I confronted him few weeks ago about his behaviour but I got the "sure she is not from here" spiel.(my gf is not Irish).

She has no problem with any other drivers but the guy thinks he runs the show. He known to few anyway and it's not just my GF who had issues with him but just letting people know about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ring Prendiville tomorrow lads

• Advertisement

most of them? there are a couple of thousand drivers working for the company.
    Most operating in the respective route I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

OP here.

Have noticed since complaining about the 223 route to several higher ups in both Bus Eireann and TFI/NTA, the company seems to have outsourced a lot of the timetable to private coach companies.

As they have no Leap reader on them, my bus ride is usually therefore free. Same goes for Real time (although it's usually useless anyway) as the buses obviously don't have BE's tracking on them.

Obviously not ideal in the long term, funding etc but I can't complain about a free fare!

Drivers also seem to be a hell of a lot friendlier!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Is this the guy with the English accent because if its the same guy the sooner he is booted out of BE the better?

No,Cork accent. Short, stocky bald guy with a tash. 60ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

OP here.

Have noticed since complaining about the 223 route to several higher ups in both Bus Eireann and TFI/NTA, the company seems to have outsourced a lot of the timetable to private coach companies.

As they have no Leap reader on them, my bus ride is usually therefore free. Same goes for Real time (although it's usually useless anyway) as the buses obviously don't have BE's tracking on them.

Obviously not ideal in the long term, funding etc but I can't complain about a free fare!

Drivers also seem to be a hell of a lot friendlier!!

They've been doing this for the airport route for the last while now in the evenings and some of those drivers are absolute heroes, always great craic and friendly.

No,Cork accent. Short, stocky bald guy with a tash. 60ish.
    There's a guy doing that route years that fits that description but never had any issues with him,there's a small fella on the 207 with an English accent early 50's who's manor is outrageous,surprised him and the 220x fella werent pulled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

There's a guy doing that route years that fits that description but never had any issues with him,there's a small fella on the 207 with an English accent early 50's who's manor is outrageous,surprised him and the 220x fella werent pulled.

Met the small fella (207) a while back after he got stuck in my wife for no reason except she had the wrong change !!! he won't do it again, he's your typical bully, when confronted , backs off quicker than a poodle.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Here's a thought.say the bus is advertised every 10 minutes on your route and you bus a monthly ticket on that basis.you then attemp to use this timetable and you find in reality it's once an hour.could Bus Eireann not be taken to court for false advertisement? This absolutely has to break consumer law.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

smurgen wrote: »
    Here's a thought.say the bus is advertised every 10 minutes on your route and you bus a monthly ticket on that basis.you then attemp to use this timetable and you find in reality it's once an hour.could Bus Eireann not be taken to court for false advertisement? This absolutely has to break consumer law.

You'd have to prove to the court that Bus Eireann knowingly produced a false timetable and knew they wouldn't meet it. They could argue traffic, weather and any other number of reasons for buses being delayed. Fighting a losing battle with that one I'm afraid.

Michael McGrath TD raised these Cork bus issues in the Dáil today.

Shane Ross was in attendance and gave a response. He mentioned "washing his hands" of the issues/responsibility for the issues. Laughable response from someone who is supposed to be a Minister for Transport and Tourism.

You can watch the video here; https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1566241923490493&id=651391874975507

Delighted to have Michael McGrath raise the issues nonetheless and hopefully we see improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

Hi there,

I recently wrote to the minister for an explanation on the dire state of affairs in Cork with regards to transport options.

Similarly, I live in a Rochestown (Cinammon Cottage area) and work on the Model Farm Road. Needless to say, it’s an absolute nightmare.

Would you mind if I use your example from the first page of the thread in any response I make to him?

Hi there,

I recently wrote to the minister for an explanation on the dire state of affairs in Cork with regards to transport options.

Similarly, I live in a Rochestown (Cinammon Cottage area) and work on the Model Farm Road. Needless to say, it’s an absolute nightmare.

Would you mind if I use your example from the first page of the thread in any response I make to him?

Yeah no bother at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Michael McGrath TD raised these Cork bus issues in the Dáil today.

Shane Ross was in attendance and gave a response. He mentioned "washing his hands"

Washing his hands of the issue? really? why is this clown minister :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Washing his hands of the issue? really? why is this clown minister :confused:

His problem is that he's too frank and honest.
    It is not the minister of transport's job to oversee the day to day running of Bus Eireann. His job is to define policy and allocate funds. That's his remit.

The inadequacies in the bus service as pointed out here are disgraceful but I also think that there is something seriously wrong with our political system when you have elected members of our Parliament discussing individual bus routes in the Dail. It's parish pump politics at it's best.

That TD could have had a word on the side with the minister but he'd rather take up Dail time so he could be publicly seen to be doing something. He could also have contacted Bus Eireann as a minister and/or NTA and TFI. The problem with doing that is that he wouldn't be on TV doing it and couldn't post said video on his website. Bringing up individual bus routes in the Dail is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

His problem is that he's too frank and honest.
    It is not the minister of transport's job to oversee the day to day running of Bus Eireann. His job is to define policy and allocate funds. That's his remit.

The inadequacies in the bus service as pointed out here are disgraceful but I also think that there is something seriously wrong with our political system when you have elected members of our Parliament discussing individual bus routes in the Dail. It's parish pump politics at it's best.

That TD could have had a word on the side with the minister but he'd rather take up Dail time so he could be publicly seen to be doing something. He could also have contacted Bus Eireann as a minister and/or NTA and TFI. The problem with doing that is that he wouldn't be on TV doing it and couldn't post said video on his website. Bringing up individual bus routes in the Dail is a waste of time.

Agreed but I dont think any one on the thread so far has got anything of use from BE/NTA/TFI? So what other options do they have other than ask their local TD to ask the minister. You would think that Carrigaline, Passage and Ballincollig would be of sufficient size that it would be worthy of pushing the Minister to make sure that BE/NTA/TFI actually do something about it

We here plenty of it from the folks in Dublin about their transport problems with Dublin Bus/Luas/Dart

Anyway isnt Shane Ross king of parish pump politics (e.g. the crime hub that is Stepaside!)

Toppy

Washing his hands of the issue? really? why is this clown minister

i think most people are wondering the same thing. he can't really do anything about the day to day stuff though. NTA/BE/local TD are your only option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

I recently wrote to NTA, based on an earlier recommendation from someone on the forum. Here is their response:

"I refer to your email to the National Transport Authority on 2nd January 2018 concerning your experience with the service provided by Bus Éireann. I was sorry to learn of the problems you have encountered.

The Authority is aware that Bus Éireann has been experiencing significant operational issues in Cork city and region, and that this has had a knock-on impact on the operation of other services in the wider region including Route 223.

The Authority is closely monitoring developments; however, it is a matter for Bus Éireann in the first instance to resolve the difficulties which have arisen. The Authority is engaging with Bus Éireann and has reminded Bus Éireann of its obligations under the contract with the Authority.

In conclusion, the Authority is very concerned about the current situation and very much regrets the on-going disruption being experienced by Bus Éireann customers in the Cork region. The Authority has raised these issues with Bus Éireann and is seeking action regarding ways to mitigate the impact these difficulties are having on customers.

I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to the attention of the Authority."

As someone mentioned, over the last couple of weeks the service seems to have improved a bit which could be the result of all the complaints/publicity this route has been getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Has anyone noticed that recently the real time info is missing a load of busses? Twice during the week both at stops and on the website it indicated that there would be no bus for an hour, and they hadn't recently been past (looking at the info for the stop at the end of the route). Google Maps timetable indicated a few were due. Both came on time according to Google Maps, but if I'd trusted the RTPI I'd have walked away and got a taxi instead. I'm used to phantom busses and times being inaccurate, but not neglecting to display timetabled services. This was the 215 and 215A. A few people have said they had the same issue with the 220 and 207.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

TheChizler wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that recently the real time info is missing a load of busses? Twice during the week both at stops and on the website it indicated that there would be no bus for an hour, and they hadn't recently been past (looking at the info for the stop at the end of the route). Google Maps timetable indicated a few were due. Both came on time according to Google Maps, but if I'd trusted the RTPI I'd have walked away and got a taxi instead. I'm used to phantom busses and times being inaccurate, but not neglecting to display timetabled services. This was the 215 and 215A. A few people have said they had the same issue with the 220 and 207.

I think earlier in the thread someone said that this info was supplied by TFI/NTA (cant remember which) from dublin, not by BE. I would love to know how google maps has the right info and not TFI/NTA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

-Toppy- wrote: »
    I think earlier in the thread someone said that this info was supplied by TFI/NTA (cant remember which) from dublin, not by BE. I would love to know how google maps has the right info and not TFI/NTA :)
    That's the thing, it's the same source. Google just present NTA timetables AFAIK, not real time. It's as if the Bus Eireann website and RTI displays are suddenly only displaying timetabled services that haven't commenced, for some services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Best I had was shortly before Christmas. Waited for a phantom 206 for forty minutes, several out of service buses glided by (I realise that's not the drivers' fault but it really makes the experience a lot more infuriating).

Went up to check the display at the stop further up, a private coach with a piece of cardboard in the window saying "220" pulled up. Door opens, driver roars "anyone waiting on the 220" so fcukit says I, I'll get this one.

After sitting there for five minutes I look out and see the next departure for the 220 is in 20 minutes, I could nearly walk home in that time so it was annoying but at least I'm on a bus. Good thing I didn't get off and walk because 5 minutes later, with 15 minutes left on the board, the bus takes off. No idea if it was supposed to be the previous, no show 220, the one scheduled for 15 minutes later, or just a special bonus random one.

I live 3km from the city centre, there are at least four different buses stopping within 100m of my house, and I can't rely on the bus service to get me between those two points, even if I give myself a half hour margin of error. My partner has had experiences with the 206 going into town where he's left our house at 4.20 to be sure to catch it into work for 6pm and been late.

It's beyond a joke.

JupiterKid wrote: »

It is all about survival of the fittest and those in society who can’t afford a car or a house on a mortgage can go hang...

Mmmmm, I know so many people receiving SW and RA (or whatever it's called) ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Living in Glanmire, noticing a lot of the 221 services on the weekend evenings when I'm out and about are privately operated buses.

I've had to give a lift to a cousin of mine a few times, over the past few months, who's working in a nightclub but living on the 208 route.
    It's happening more often, that from 8pm onward, there's only 1 bus per hour instead of the 3x that should run every 20mins.

In an ideal world, which will never happen here, I'd love to see a private operator using the newer electric buses seen in the UK, on much shorter looping routes around the city, as congestion makes the cross city routes less and less reliable.

For people needing to go cross city, adopt a system I saw the last time I was in the south of France, where a €1.50 bus ticket was good for 30mins, if I needed to connect onto another line.

Chances are that is subsidised, didn't look into it but it was a pleasant surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

TheChizler wrote: »

TFI Real Time also acting up in regard to the trains this week. They’d want to get their act together

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In an ideal world, which will never happen here, I'd love to see a private operator using the newer electric buses seen in the UK, on much shorter looping routes around the city, as congestion makes the cross city routes less and less reliable.

For people needing to go cross city, adopt a system I saw the last time I was in the south of France, where a €1.50 bus ticket was good for 30mins, if I needed to connect onto another line.

What are looping routes?

There definitely should be a time allowance on cross city routes where you have to change buses. Or a discount for getting on a second bus within 1hr of an initial journey. This is all technically possible with Leap Cards so hopefully something like this is in the works at some point.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What are looping routes?

i presume routes serving the main buildings and areas within the city limits. so, something like cork railway station, bus station, and any other major facilities. just a guess though

Advertisement