Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann - seriously poor

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

pwurple wrote: »
    The problem is, the routes are designed around breaks. Not around where the customers need to go.

I have hired plenty of private bus drivers in my working life, and am well aware of the working directives and tachographs. Private drivers invariably take their breaks either in a cafe, hotel or public spot on the route, or on the bus itself. They do not turn the bus around, dump the passengers on the road, to go take a tea break.

It is unions writing the routes instead of business need.

if the bus is being turned half way and the passengers put off then that is likely a control issue or the driver is almost about to go over his hours.
    it certainly won't be for tea breaks.
    it is most certainly not the unions writing anything, especially routes. that is not in their remit and it is day to day running which they cannot interfere with any more then insuring rostering doesn't cause drivers to go over their legal driving hours.
    the service issues are down to management, they manage the company, it's on them to insure everything is working. the NTA is the same.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

blindsider wrote: »
    I'm glad that you seem happy with a bus service that is unreliable, infrequent and poorly run. Try any other second city in Europe to see what I mean....in fact try *any* city in Europe.

You can make all the excuses you like- the bus service in Cork is shockingly poor and we deserve better!

Having lived /worked all-over Europe + other parts , management and unions have messed up the service in Cork,no other city I've been to has these constant/ decades old problems,glad I no longer have to depend on this service

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

if the bus is being turned half way and the passengers put off then that is likely a control issue or the driver is almost about to go over his hours.
    it certainly won't be for tea breaks.
    it is most certainly not the unions writing anything, especially routes. that is not in their remit and it is day to day running which they cannot interfere with any more then insuring rostering doesn't cause drivers to go over their legal driving hours.
    the service issues are down to management, they manage the company, it's on them to insure everything is working. the NTA is the same.

BS. I was on a bus that was turned around and we were all told to get off. I asked the bus driver what's going on and he said he needs to for his tea break. I then asked what are we supposed to do now to which he replied "not my problem". I filed a complaint but as per usual it was ignored.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    BS. I was on a bus that was turned around and we were all told to get off. I asked the bus driver what's going on and he said he needs to for his tea break. I then asked what are we supposed to do now to which he replied "not my problem". I filed a complaint but as per usual it was ignored.

if he was turning the bus to take a "tea break" as you claim, then that is a management issue and for them to deal with as they would be within their rights as it's not a required break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

I have to wonder what would become of a driver in a private company if he had done that.

It must be great to be a member of a dinosaur union.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

kub wrote: »
    I have to wonder what would become of a driver in a private company if he had done that.

They wouldn’t be sacked anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

if he was turning the bus to take a "tea break" as you claim, then that is a management issue and for them to deal with as they would be within their rights as it's not a required break.

Why would I lie, he said he was going for his tea break. I filed a complaint but management said they'd look into it (didn't seem to care). It's the cushiest bus driving job in the country if you can get away with that sh!te.

the same thing as would happen him or her in the rest of bus eireann or any other company, they would be disciplined. all be it how much would depend on the company.

there is no such thing as a dinosaur union.
    unions exist across both the public and private sector, and they cannot protect staff from being disciplined.
    all they can do is insure that the procedure is followed correctly.
    Why would I lie, he said he was going for his tea break. I filed a complaint but management said they'd look into it (didn't seem to care). It's the cushiest bus driving job in the country if you can get away with that sh!te.

i never said you lied, but given i wasn't there and given i'm not going to know what was in the driver's head then i am hardly going to be able to say anything more then "if it happened" because i can't verify your story.
    there is no such thing as a cushy bus driving job.
    i certainly wouldn't do it no matter the money anyway.
    it's not standard to the best of my knowledge for a transport company to give specific information as to any specific action taken against a specific member of staff, which is probably fair enough.
    the most they give out is generally basic statements such as, we will look into it, or, action has been taken, or, the staff member involved has been spoken to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There honestly has to be something else going on.... Well I do hope so as a driver in db we wouldn't have a hope of getting away with anything like this.

Yes sometimes drivers put their passengers onto another bus but this is agreed with control and it is usually to get the other bus back on time and on the odd occasion to not have 2 running the last bit of the route and let one get back a little quicker.

I honestly couldn't just dump people like that... Never have and never would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Ffs there was drivers bringing empty bus’s to fountanstown Christmas morning to go swimming

They aren’t worried about managment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

pwurple wrote: »
    Can you link it, because all I have seen is a schematic. A coloured line drawing with no roads marked. No printable map of routes exists that I have know of.

https://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1460983446-Cork_City_Centre_Map_A3-21.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Forever useless.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is the current one on the Transport for Ireland site (NTA).

bus map Cork

The TFI app has route maps. A very good app also is Moovit. It has full maps of all bus routes and is linked into RTPI. Highly recommended.

Android Moovit app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Dbu wrote: »

Article doesn't say public or private. Although the "generic photo of a bus driver" has a guy wearing a bus eireann logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

SkySter wrote: »
    Article doesn't say public or private. Although the "generic photo of a bus driver" has a guy wearing a bus eireann logo.

Hopefully this clears it up :

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Latest-Bus-Eireann-apologise-after-driver-arrest-on-suspicion-of-drink-driving-8652074f-9c1f-4f6b-b7f2-c39188726902-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah sure, that would be the alcohol from the night before - you know the kind that doesn't count, according to many!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dbu wrote: »

Not at all surprised by that.

Been on a bus where we nearly crashed as Driver was on his phone, or a driver that was too busy drinking his coffee that he could go no more then 20kph(at 6.45am)

Not mention no show bus on a Sunday evening waiting around 2hours and then getting a lecture from driver for each passenger getting in about how ****ing great he is and the service they provide.

Or time bus breaks down and driver just does not care, no refund no advice, the no shows and the manners of some drivers is hard to believe.

Thanks be to **** I only had deal with them for about 8 to 10 weeks cause I can’t honestly think of a service that comes close to how poor these guys are.

Biggest shower of clowns ever

They make the customer care of the Mobile companies in this country look efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I assume the solution to drink driving bus drivers is another bus lane? That appears to be the only solution ever put forward to improving the service in Cork.

• Advertisement

Ref 220 bus wtf is going on ? 3 times today and tonight 3,yes three 220 buses in Carrigaline at the same time? Think it's a safety issue? Thought at first there was a broken down bus etc but no.

Advertisement