Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to become a bit worried? mod note in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

What makes you so sure about that?

No one is sure. But am not the slightest bit surprised it's going down, put it that way. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if, despite some token rallies, this kicks off a longer bear trend.

If that occurs, am fine with it, I sold much of my stack over the past months and will rebuy in if it gets low enough again in a year or two.

Usual disclaimer: anything could happen

Aeon Fx wrote: »
    What we have seen the last week or two is an orchestrated transfer of wealth in the market. Whales and institutions selling huge positions and taking huge positions driving price down forcing out weak minded retail investors and forcing them into liquidation so the bigger players can accumulate bigger positions for more control in the future.

Now is by far the best time to buy ETH for example at 2000$ as of right now its dropped more than 50% from its ATH. It's an easy call and its at this price point big positions and players are quickly taking over the market unbeknown to the average retail trader.

Everyone I know most of whom are 6/7 figure traders are all buying up huge stacks on their main asset's in this space right now while hedging small short positions to cover the downside in the meantime.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

What makes you so sure about that?

Basically betting on history repeating itself, which isn't a bad bet to make

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

Now is by far the best time to buy ETH for example at 2000$ as of right now its dropped more than 50% from its ATH. It's an easy call and its at this price point big positions and players are quickly taking over the market unbeknown to the average retail trader.

To paraphrase Warren Buffet, 'The cryptocurrency market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.'

I'm in no rush to buy more, certainly not at these prices. The suicide hotline on Reddit hasn't been posted yet for example.

The streets aren't bloody enough for me. I'll likely start buying in 3-6 months time at the earliest. Maybe there will be another rally in the meantime, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

It’s very possible they will all drop another 20 percent over the next few months, buying now may not even be a good idea just my view.

• Advertisement

To paraphrase Warren Buffet, 'The cryptocurrency market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.'

100%
    I'm in no rush to buy more, certainly not at these prices. The suicide hotline on Reddit hasn't been posted yet for example.

Actually it has, posted several times for that 20% in one hour drop the other day
    The streets aren't bloody enough for me. I'll likely start buying in 3-6 months time at the earliest. Maybe there will be another rally in the meantime, so be it.

I'm speculating there'll be a "spring 2018" style rally, and if it slips into that pattern, then I'll be looking at buying around a year from now

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

Streets not bloody enough lol I like that spoken like a shark. All depends on available capital I guess throwing 1% of capital for me at this price is still a very safe risk appropriate investment.

I'm just looking to build huge positions over time and these are the prices to get in at but I'd be happy to get in lower again no doubt

I'm only guessing like everyone else here. I just have badly scarred hands from catching knives in the 2018 crash. I prefer accumulating in established bear markets if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Its peak was around 60k, we've had several 80% sell offs in the past, a few 90% ones but they are very rare, so an 80% drop from there is back to 12k (I reckon 10k support) Its possible it could drop further as it really depends on what is driving the sell off. It's more than profit taking, I suspect something else is going on in the background. One thing for sure is the Elon party is over for now

Streets not bloody enough lol I like that spoken like a shark. All depends on available capital I guess throwing 1% of capital for me at this price is still a very safe risk appropriate investment.

I'm just looking to build huge positions over time and these are the prices to get in at but I'd be happy to get in lower again no doubt

We're only 2 weeks into this. It's crypto, anything could happen, but personally, I'd give it time.

In 2018 many said we weren't going to see sub $400 Eth again, but there we were buying sub $100 Eth by that Christmas. And speaking of 2018, I'd overlay that chart and zoom out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    We're only 2 weeks into this. It's crypto, anything could happen, but personally, I'd give it time.

In 2018 many said we weren't going to see sub $400 Eth again, but there we were buying sub $100 Eth by that Christmas. And speaking of 2018, I'd overlay that chart and zoom out.

Speaking as someone who knows sweet feck all, so bear with me.

Is/could the 2018 crash be comparable to this if the new supply of bitcoin is now lower and there seems to be more institutional buy in. I know Elon Musk shook things by taking Tesla out as a potential user of the currency for sales but we still have others, including heavy hitting financial institutions. The miners aren't selling at the moment and there had been a spike of purchases from institutions, according to Coindesk, at Wednesday's dip. Seems like the foundations are a bit more solid this time around, so that along with reduced supply should surely see less of a dip this time around?

I could come back to this post in a few months with egg on my face but i'm just interested in people's opinions on it.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Is/could the 2018 crash be comparable to this if the new supply of bitcoin is now lower and there seems to be more institutional buy in. I know Elon Musk shook things by taking Tesla out as a potential user of the currency for sales but we still have others, including heavy hitting financial institutions. The miners aren't selling at the moment and there had been a spike of purchases from institutions, according to Coindesk, at Wednesday's dip. Seems like the foundations are a bit more solid this time around, so that along with reduced supply should surely see less of a dip this time around?

I could come back to this post in a few months with egg on my face but i'm just interested in people's opinions on it.

Certainly possible. For Ethereum, if EIP 1559 is successful that could cause another bull run.

Most crypto "info" is just made-up speculation and guesswork, china-this and institutional-that. It's ultimately down to the sentiment of the herd, which, if we zoom right out, has somewhat of a pattern now. Are we mid 2017? possibly, there's a chance, but I wouldn't risk that because there's a likelihood we are early 2018.

Either way, I'd be waiting for a proper bear to buy, wouldn't touch in this. And yes there will be rallies and rebounds that will scoop up a lot of people.

Edit: as always take anyone's advice with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

mcriot29 wrote: »
    It’s very possible they will all drop another 20 percent over the next few months, buying now may not even be a good idea just my view.

I'm looking at 2018. I could see most alts dropping another 90 % over the next year going by it. But stronger alts should have a few more runs later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bankboucy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

bankboucy wrote: »

What age are you? I'm going to guess you are probably about 22, and immature for your age.

You are like the sad football fan who enjoys going into his rival teams thread to gloat about them being beaten.

Just trying to bring a little balance into the everything is awesome tone that you seem to peddle in……..its not awesome and people are getting conned and robbed……and folks should know that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just trying to bring a little balance into the everything is awesome tone that you seem to peddle in……..its not awesome and people are getting conned and robbed……and folks should know that

I am into bitcoin, everything is awesome. Thanks for your fake concern.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am into bitcoin, everything is awesome. Thanks for your fake concern.

OK bro - i tried to help - your BTC will be down 80% from todays price this time next year…….if you cant see a bubble popping before your eyes….well your doing others a big favor hodling on……to let them out before you. Your man of your principles going down with the Titanic

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

OK bro - i tried to help - your BTC will be down 80% from todays price this time next year…….if you cant see a bubble popping before your eyes….well your doing others a big favor hodling on……to let them out before you. Your man of your principles going down with the Titanic

Yeah, we're all well aware of the highly likely scenario that this bull run could be well finished and we'll be in a bear market by then, you're not saying or understanding anything differently to what's already commonly perceived by anyone who's aware of the history of BTC/crypto

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    Yeah, we're all well aware of the highly likely scenario that this bull run could be well finished and we'll be in a bear market by then, you're not saying or understanding anything differently to what's already commonly perceived by anyone who's aware of the history of BTC/crypto

Great were in crashing agreement - bitcoin $10k here we come.....someone tell the lads in the other thread......they think China or Elon Musk did this just so they could buy more BTC on the cheap.....sneaky little feckers......I actually heard from a mate in work there's a secret telegram group with Bill Gates,Jeffrey Epstein & President Xi directing these price moves.....pass it on.....they said wait to $25k then buy everything in sight....pass it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You haven't a clue about investing or you would realize no matter what happens with BTC you can make a fortune each way on it lol

The guy is a class A troll, best ignored. I'd say todays recovery is annoying him. Youre bang on when you say its profitable wether or not you believe in it. Look at some of the 24hr gains today Matic up over 110% at one stage. I try to take profits as much as I can and hold in USDT, admittedly not as much as I should have. My thinking is that when a coin/token is doing well ill take 15% or so profits and hold USDT to buy the dip. Hasn't always worked out and ive lost money at times when a coin keeps going but I think its a decent strategy to hedge against the big dips and buy back in reducing my average price paid for certain coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It was a bubble at $1,000, it was a bubble at $5,000, it was a bubble at $10,000, $20,000, $30,000 $50,000, $60,000. Every time some smart arse who knows better comes along to try and tell everyone that it's a bubble, that it reminds them of tulips.

These ****ing no coiners are like religious fanatics. Trying to get crytpo investors to stop practicing in the ways of Satan. They are always here out of the goodness of their heart, to save us all from throwing our money away. "Repent, repent. Come back to FIAT, come back to stocks, come back to gold and the traditional banking system"

"You'll be sorry" they say. And then they disappear, just like day turns to night, when the crypto market starts to pump again.

We've seen it all lads, thanks bankboucy, thanks Donald Trump, thanks to the rest of you. We don't need nor require your unsolicited interventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It was a bubble at $1,000, it was a bubble at $5,000, it was a bubble at $10,000, $20,000, $30,000 $50,000, $60,000. Every time some smart arse who knows better comes along to try and tell everyone that it's a bubble, that it reminds them of tulips.

These ****ing no coiners are like religious fanatics. Trying to get crytpo investors to stop practicing in the ways of Satan. They are always here out of the goodness of their heart, to save us all from throwing our money away. "Repent, repent. Come back to FIAT, come back to stocks, come back to gold and the traditional banking system"

"You'll be sorry" they say. And then they disappear, just like day turns to night, when the crypto market starts to pump again.

We've seen it all lads, thanks bankboucy, thanks Donald Trump, thanks to the rest of you. We don't need nor require your unsolicited interventions.

What annoyed me was the paddy guy last year on his soapbox spouting crap he knew nothing about, he comes when the market is at low point. he probably prevented a lot of people gaining massive profits.
    These fudders need to come out of the woodwork when the market is on a uptrend so people can sell with profit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's a public message board. Perhaps not the best place for someone apparently so insecure and hyper-sensitive.

You can point me to anywhere I said it was going up or going down. Long term or short term. The only things I said about it was along the lines that I never bought any and if I did I'd maybe put in 2% or something. Pointed out a few contradictions in what others were saying. Few things like that.

Build a bit of confidence in yourself there chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

It's a public message board. Perhaps not the best place for someone apparently so insecure and hyper-sensitive.

You can point me to anywhere I said it was going up or going down. Long term or short term. The only things I said about it was along the lines that I never bought any and if I did I'd maybe put in 2% or something. Pointed out a few contradictions in what others were saying. Few things like that.

Build a bit of confidence in yourself there chap.

you seem to be learning the hard way, dont come out against the cult.

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    you seem to be learning the hard way, dont come out against the cult.

The only thing remotely resembling actual investment "advice" I opined to someone was:
    1) Don't put all your eggs in one basket
    2) Don't risk more than you can afford to lose.

Mad that people are so upset over that!

Perhaps I should learn how to put it into a meme form for them? Where do yiz all go to get the memes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

The only thing remotely resembling actual investment "advice" I opined to someone was:
    1) Don't put all your eggs in one basket
    2) Don't risk more than you can afford to lose.

Mad that people are so upset over that!

Perhaps I should learn how to put it into a meme form for them? Where do yiz all go to get the memes?
    My stocks and shares are down about 30% past 2 months my memes are up about 1000%

KilOit wrote: »
    My stocks and shares are down about 30% past 2 months my memes are up about 1000%

Well done. That is why you diversify. You've illustrated the benefit and importance of doing so.

S&P is a little down from it's highs but not that amount. That is my reference as the global benchmark. Well done on your memes but you might be better indexing than stock picking if you are down 30% in the last two months over your equity portfolio. Or at least diversify that a little more while you are at it. Up to yourself of course

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

"Stop making money on this thing I don't understand/haven't invested in!!!"

• Advertisement

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    "Stop making money on this thing I don't understand/haven't invested in!!!"

Hmmm. Interesting

Advertisement