Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to become a bit worried? mod note in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Whatever about naturally occurring shifts in global temperature, we know that this shift in climate is man-made or is at least being expedited by man. The warming started after our industrialization, worsening since, with the rate of warming increasing as we developed globally and increased the burning of fossil fuels. 8 of the top 10 hottest days on record occurred in the decade that just passed with those just short of the record occurring after industrialization, and the records go back about 2000 years, which I know is nothing in Earth years, but to have such a shift in climate in such a short space of time, aligning perfectly with a massive increase in carbon emissions, can't be coincidental.

We don't know that this is man made. It's an untested hypothesis. Did anthropogenic CO2 cause the medaeval warming, did it cause the warming spikes on this graph:

100-thousand-year-temperature-record.jpg

I look at that and all I see is the next scheduled bus arriving, right on time. The CO2 and temperature record has been inferred for most of the history of the Earth, not just 2000 years. We are currently - in geological time terms - experincing one of coldest periods in the planets history with some of the lowest levels of CO2 in the atmospere ever seen. Despite the imminent human extinction nonsense, the real norms for the Earth are for significantly higher average temperatures and a lot more CO2 - conditions under which plants and animals thrive, not die. Humans could easily live and thrive in those conditions as well. Agriculture would be far easier and vastly more productive. But I doubt we are close to the Earth returning to such norms. I think this is the warming you naturally get before an ice age kicks off.

Yes, it can be coincidental. The world actually cooled after WW2, despite CO2 output increasing due to wartime manufacturing. 5,000-7,000 years ago, the Earth was far warmer than in recent times. Ireland has a perfect example of this - the Céide Fields in Mayo. The reason they were settled and farmed was because the climate was far nicer, it was warmer, it didn't pour with rain every few hours and the sun shon. The neolithic peoples who settled there thrived - then the climate went to sh*t and the bogs developed. In northern Scotland you have the flow country - Europe's largest bog. 6000 or so years ago it didn't exist for the same reason it didn't at the Céide Fields. That whole are was covered in thick forest - b e c a u s e it was warmer with less rainfall. Did anthropogenic CO2 cause all that - the mid holocene warm period? No.

As you might suspect, i am not concerned about bitcoin mining.

Gas, denying climate change to justify bitcoin.

Similar mindset of Texas oilmen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    *opinion

It might soar, or it might not, no one knows for sure. Global regulation, anything could happen. This "it will only ever go up" mentality that people have is borderline dogmatic.

I've had BTC for a long time, in my opinion it's pretty useless stuff, it's basically just a speculation token that doesn't produce anything. At best it's an "out of the system" hedge. As for the market, it's almost purely for speculation, there is little or no reason why any of that stuff is there other than for people to try and out-gamble each other. Each passing year this is more and more evident. DeFi and BC related tech is cool, but it's easy enough to replicate if there's an actual need.

In fairness. Great post.

Gas, denying climate change to justify bitcoin.

Similar mindset of Texas oilmen!

Data centres consume 4-5 times as much energy as bitcoin mining - lets shut down the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

cnocbui wrote: »
    Data centres consume 4-5 times as much energy as bitcoin mining - lets shut down the internet.

The internet is actually used for something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭crushproof

Ah jeez where does it end?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

crushproof wrote: »
    Ah jeez where does it end?!

Apparently the Chinese government published a new press release on limiting mining and trading.

I'll have to find a Chinese speaker to get exactly what they are saying :-) (the original source is below but the relevant part of the press release is translated by Google as "crack down on Bitcoin mining and trading behavior").

http://www.gov.cn/xinwen/2021-05/21/content_5610192.htm?ivk_sa=1023197a

(funnily some BTC detractors have been mentioning mining concentration in China as a source of concern, so according to them this should be positive news :-))

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Strange they should want to clamp down on the mining. Obvious FUD. China always knew what it was doing by holding a lot of BTC. It's gonna give them a great leg up over the US in years to come.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    The internet is actually used for something

It sure is: my medical records are now the property of the Russian intelligence services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Rob2D wrote: »
    Strange they should want to clamp down on the mining. Obvious FUD. China always knew what it was doing by holding a lot of BTC. It's gonna give them a great leg up over the US in years to come.

Do they want to get rid of bitcoin and promote their own crypto instead?

• Advertisement

Or they might want to use BTC as their own in a way. The US is a big threat with it's own crypto coming but nobody will trade the Yuan, real or digital, over the dollar worldwide. At least not yet. But people WILL trade BTC. So I can definitely see China wanting as much as they can get their hands on.

Regulator and government talk is often vague/cryptic on purpose, and they are not being very generous with details here. So I wouldn’t draw any conclusions.

When they say “crack down on mining” it might just mean closing a few dodgy mining operations which have particularly poor environmental impact or are illegally using subsided electricity. It might also be an excuse to close those which are not indirectly controlled by the government while developing others the government has more influence on. Maybe a bit of both to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Also I think they are hinting at the the Chinese population to get ready for their new CBDC.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Bob24 wrote: »
    Apparently the Chinese government published a new press release on limiting mining and trading.

I'll have to find a Chinese speaker to get exactly what they are saying :-) (the original source is below but the relevant part of the press release is translated by Google as "crack down on Bitcoin mining and trading behavior").

http://www.gov.cn/xinwen/2021-05/21/content_5610192.htm?ivk_sa=1023197a

(funnily some BTC detractors have been mentioning mining concentration in China as a source of concern, so according to them this should be positive news :-))

They have been clamping down last while on mining was on tv last week showing the police raid a mining place for bit coin place was a big shed full of computers like huge hundreds of them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Or they might want to use BTC as their own in a way. The US is a big threat with it's own crypto coming but nobody will trade the Yuan, real or digital, over the dollar worldwide. At least not yet. But people WILL trade BTC. So I can definitely see China wanting as much as they can get their hands on.

Onshore market is still very restricted and controlled. You need special permission to do anything there. CNY is not freely convertible (and is non-deliverable). You can do what you like in the offshore market alright.

mcriot29 wrote: »
    They have been clamping down last while on mining was on tv last week showing the police raid a mining place for bit coin place was a big shed full of computers like huge hundreds of them

Yes, and it is not the first time they talk about it either.

Mellor wrote: »
    It would have disappeared, in the same way that a wind farm that isn't built doesn't generate any power. But the fact the geo-thermal generator exists means it is moving energy to he grid. If mining is using that then it displacing other power which is an issue.
    If Icelands power is 100% renewable then it's no impact. And it may be, But the entire extent mining does not occur in 100% renewable zones.

What present of the total mined is mined in Iceland?

I'm not advocating mining, I'm really not, just pointing out that there are locations where it isn't a drain on the world's resources and some mining companies have taken advantage of that over the years. They did it for profit of course, not to save the earth, but still. Btw, I'm not a poster who has defended or promoted BTC/crypto mining.

Iceland's primary energy supply is about 85% renewable now. Much of that other 15% is oil for transport purposes. I've been to dams and hydro stations there, also small businesses dotted around the country. My mind has been blown at how good they have it there in terms of energy availability. It's like a gift from the gods.

It is thought that 8% of BTC in circulation was mined in Iceland, according to the Icelandic Blockchain Foundation. Of course, since people can mine many kinds of crypto at home with their own rigs, I imagine that an even smaller percentage of all the crypto mined in the world has been mined in Iceland.

If the world is going to eventually move to a new form of money, it sure as hell will need to be exponentially greener than BTC.

If you are interested in further reading, I recommend these articles...

https://www.wired.com/story/iceland-bitcoin-mining-gallery/

https://www.dw.com/en/bitcoin-mining-is-scandinavias-cryptoboom-coming-to-an-end/a-57443905

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Definitely contributes towards it, digital yuan being widely used would give them a lot more of a hold on their population

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Another big drop coming now.

ETH going below €1800 any second now.

Edit and has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

How low can it go really.

Where does one set the limit buy on this, or is it going further like plenty of online peeps seem to claim!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

Why are people so eager to rush in and 'buy the dip' now? Give it a few months to see if this is a true bear market. DCA in then over a couple of years and wait patiently for the next bull run.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Hey guys. Wondering if anyone has had issues transferring money from Binance to AIB. Amount isnt small but not 6 figures either. Worried in case they may freeze my account or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Why are people so eager to rush in and 'buy the dip' now? Give it a few months to see if this is a true bear market. DCA in then over a couple of years and wait patiently for the next bull run.

I guess that's the "if" getting to people.

I'm new to this and like an excited muppet wanting to jump on any decent drop haha. Thankfully what's in is in already.

Hey guys. Wondering if anyone has had issues transferring money from Binance to AIB. Amount isnt small but not 6 figures either. Worried in case they may freeze my account or whatever.

Just give them a buzz beforehand and clear it.

Because some buy the dip sell the high and no interest in long term.
    Make fast money.

I've made money today.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

If you're worried now you're in the wrong game. Don't invest in Cryptocurrency if you can't afford to lose it all.

A bit to advice.

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    If you're worried now you're in the wrong game. Don't invest in Cryptocurrency if you can't afford to lose it all.

A bit to advice.

You forgot to add go for blue chip shares.
    But its less fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

jmlad2020 wrote: »

A bit to advice.

There's no point blindly 'buying the dip' and giving money to the bears either. It will take months for this to bottom out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

There's no point blindly 'buying the dip' and giving money to the bears either. It will take months for this to bottom out.

What makes you so sure about that?

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement

What makes you so sure about that?

None of us can be sure, but the signs aren't exactly 'bullish'...

- At least 80 btc/alt pairings on Binance are in double digit reds for the past 24 hours. This follows days of red before it.

- Over half of the Top 100 on CMC are at least 50% down over the past 7 days, many of them down at least 60% from their 2021 high.

What went from something which could have been a market correction earlier in the week (if we rebounded) has now descended into a full-on crash as the week progressed. If the Americans don't wake up today and buy these "discounts" or at best hold, there's no telling how low this will go in the short term.

Advertisement